• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of reputation are you guys earning these days?

Going pure crucible/vanguard or pimping a certain faction to double digits for the shaders?

Has anybody else experienced a massively increased sensitivity after holding the new sword? I was running into walls for twenty minutes after. It was like when holding the MIDA. Happened yesterday and today.
So dismantling an upgraded exotic gives one exotic shard.
Anyone know what dismantling an exotic fully upgraded with just XP (not resources) gives?
What about dismantling a maxed out exotic?

I saw a video a couple days ago on reddit of someone dismantling a partially upgraded (maybe 70%) icebreaker, and it gave him 2 exotic shards. Although I don't know if the game randomly gives you this in the same way that dismantling a rare chest piece could give you 1-3 armor parts.

I was also wondering about this.

Coconut

Banned
Have they fixed search for players on PS4 yet?

Going pure crucible/vanguard or pimping a certain faction to double digits for the shaders?

I was all about future war cult and saw no reason to continue wearing their cloak after I hit level 5. So now it's all vanguard.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't think I know what that means, it sounds almost like an effusive compliment. lol. a lot of Destiny's design tenets are lifted from traditional MMORPG raiding tropes.

I actually meant there's no telling what they're going to do next. They're incredibly inconsistent.

And there's plenty of traditional MMORPG solutions they've outright ignored while insisting on copying the most frustrating mechanics they can.

Ie: token systems for raids, some kind of trading, upgrade paths that don't feel like they're punishing those who've spent a lot of time and resources already, etc...

LiK

Yup. I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the case. I mean, it would guarantee some people to keep playing the game, atleast up until the 2nd dlc, in hopes for upgrading their favorite exotics. I know I have been waking up early Fridays in the hope that Heart of Praxic Fire is finally available..

But let's just see what DeeJ has to say before we continue ripping on Bungie, lol.

they better refund Exotic shards. kinda BS they allowed that and then we hear about this reset shit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Of course the details will make a difference but it should never exist in the first place, on any level. A second round of RNG/Bungie-dependence for weapons we already own and have maxed? How is any version of this system a good idea?
bungie dependence. lol. at this point the effort I've put into talking about this topic certainly outpaces my interest in it, and it looks like some aspects of the article are not accurate anyway. i'll respond to a few accusations but I apologize in advance for not completely rebutting every argument and retroactively for responding to you in the first place, that was my bad. your sentiments regarding any potential system like this are completely valid.
That is not "the alternative" because there are countless other options that would have been more reasonable than this. Many of these superior alternatives have already been described in the thread. Bungie could have done anything, they chose this.
i'll rephrase:
whatever method they end up putting in the game to allow us to upgrade exotics to the new power plateau, the alternative is not letting us do so, as is often the case in games with tiered progression.
Your post, responding to the article link, said "This all generally seems okay" so yes, it seemed like you thought it was all generally okay.
yes
Why are you defending it then? Its okay to say "That's a bad system, there are many better options."
I presented my idealized version of the game, it doesn't involve selecting a better option to replace the system in question, it completely eradicates all systems even remotely related to the current avenues of vertical progression in the game and relocates the feedback loop to an entirely different reward structure. I was "defending" it (except not really) because I understand why things like this are added to games.

My game wouldn't have been as successful.
Of course there are gear checks, all over the place. Not just the obvious white-green-blue-purple-yellow and light level progression, but DPS levels on legit Templar and Atheon before enrage, hard GKeepers was a big gear check for a lot of players who only cheesed the other phases, etc.
either misunderstanding or proving my point, both of the encounters with enrage timers can currently be completed without completely maxed weapons

I still have yet to equip a faction class item. i should probably start doing that.

Zakalwe

Banned
they better refund Exotic shards. kinda BS they allowed that and then we hear about this reset shit.

Yeh. They should have given us the heads up.

Any weapon that's already upgraded with one should get one back when you reset it.

CLBridges

Standby for Blog update by DeeJ it appears there's been some misinformation being reported.
Reddit

Ahh, good. Odd that the article got published without someone from Bungie glancing over the content to keep what has happened over the course of a few pages and other forums from happening, but good lol.

Anyone else think the Raid will have a sequence where all 6 members wield a Sword of Crota and have to fight through waves of enemies?

Would be awesome.

Zakalwe

Banned
I was "defending" it (except not really) because I understand why things like this are added to games.

I understand why they might want to add grind, sure, but adding a system that actively punishes anyone who's already ground their arses off?

There's no justification for that at all.

I just hope the article doesn't have all the info.

Manp

i bet they can come up with a more bullshit way of updating exotics if they try hard enough... come on Bungie, show us!

I can accept going through the upgrade process again for the old exotics , but RNG upgrade? eeep

that's what this game needs, more random!

The misinformation has to be about the exotic upgrading. The whole idea behind implementing a system to upgrade exotics was to keep the relevant/useful weapons pool (which is fairly tiny pre DLC) as deep as possible and not have everyone shift to 100% DLC gear as soon as it drops. Based on the GI article, there would be a huge incentive to say "fuck off" to all your vanilla exotics as it would be a much better use of your time and materials to just obtain and level the DLC exotics.

Brings up a good question, though. IF the upgrade reset is real, does it re-roll stats?

Probably not.

It would be a good compromise to having to re-level.

Regarding the misinformation, I would guess that if it was inaccurate, that it would be that the last 4 nodes or so would need to be re-leveled versus the whole thing.

Or they heard the pitchforks sharpening and are doing damage control.

Shito

The guy was there a month ago. The information can't be inaccurate. If it was, that's on Bungie to not let them run the article, not GI.
I work in the industry.
You wouldn't believe the number of false things journalists can tell on your games. And I don't blame them, you can't be perfect on every game ever, but yeah, those things happen. A lot.
Also, devs and publishers don't review articles before they are printed or published. Journalists don't have to make their work approved by them: you don't want something like that.

Bizazedo

Has anybody else experienced a massively increased sensitivity after holding the new sword? I was running into walls for twenty minutes after. It was like when holding the MIDA. Happened yesterday and today.

Yes. It was like the penalty for running and turning had been turned off, I was so agile. It was great.

E92 M3

I had that happen yesterday and felt like my hunter was some kinda ninja. Thought the agility ability glitched.

In terms of hard crota: I think they will be balancing with information they get from normal and possibly adding some new elements.

Zakalwe

Banned
I can accept going through the upgrade process again for the old exotics , but RNG upgrade? eeep

It's not that we have to upgrade further. It's that it reads likes brand new vanilla Exotic can be upgraded to the new damage/defense value before any investment at all.

Which is a slap to anyone who's spent many hours already upgrading their exotics

Mindlog

And Bad Juju maxxed. Yes! This gun is really fun and going to be great against throngs of thralls. I'll be a walking orb dispenser. Still have three exotic shards left after upgrading the last few exotics I wanted to have ready.

Wait....
What?

:|

rNilla

Yes, I noticed this yesterday. I also experienced the same thing after holding the Relic and defeating Atheon on hard. I could sprint and look left/right just as fast as when I stand still. ADS also seemed the same.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I understand why they might want to add grind, sure, but adding a system that actively punishes anyone who's already ground their arses off?

There's no justification for that at all.

I just hope the article doesn't have all the info.
right, hopefully the author of the article misunderstood or was not explained the route for people with currently maxed exotics or something.

It would be a good compromise to having to re-level.

Regarding the misinformation, I would guess that if it was inaccurate, that it would be that the last 4 nodes or so would need to be re-leveled versus the whole thing.

Or they heard the pitchforks sharpening and are doing damage control.

The upgrade RNG (even if it's not technically RNG, point stands) better be one of the parts of the article that was deemed "misinformation." If not, I don't think any of my friends or even myself will pick up the DLC..Way too much of a grind

darkwing

And Bad Juju maxxed. Yes! This gun is really fun and going to be great against throngs of thralls. I'll be a walking orb dispenser. Still have three exotic shards left after upgrading the last few exotics I wanted to have ready.

Wait....
What?

:|

lol welcome to my world

Bad Juju rules btw

I guess if the whole RNG/Xur being needed for upgrading weapons like ice breaker and gjallarhorn is true then that's one way for Bungie to control those game breaking weapons and keep them in check

Ambitious

deejsouog.png

I'm out. Bye, everyone.

You serious? Xur selection might not be RNG, but that makes it even worse. Nobody is gonna enjoy waiting weeks for Xur to stock his/her favorite exotic for upgrade. The fact that it's Bungie's choice is gonna be really infuriating for people.

I'm fine with it costing glimmer and exotic shards to upgrade. Hell require some xp too, make it so more damage nodes appear and you gotta fill those up, that's fine. But don't limit what and or when people can upgrade their favorite weapon.

Edit: Lol incoming "Deej clarification". I'm sure it will come in a timely and promised fashion as usual.

You're going to need another guy for the Friday raid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom