• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a system that involves maximum grind and adds RNG and adds limited weekly tries? This system.

• The grind sucks because resetting your exotic isn't about 300 vs 323, it's about losing the perks. Most exotics without perks are just bland legendaries.
  • The grind sucks because you can only level one exotic at a time.
  • The RNG sucks because you're screwed if you miss out when Xur sells something, you're double screwed if you miss when he sells the upgraded Exotic.
  • The once per week system being added to the upgrading sucks because just like the raid, it sucks because you have to sit around and wait.

Did they have to include a system to upgrade Exotics? I guess not. But it's been 3 freakin' months. Adding a ton more grin, RNG and weekly limits is the most restrictive and punitive way they could have done it. I am so much less excited about the DLC now.

I love it all. It seems like a fair way to keep exotics relevant. Makes Xur day more interesting. Looks like I'm maxing my Vex tonight and then waiting on the DLC.

Bungie really seems to be paying attention to the feedback they've gotten. Hype levels are higher for me than launch.

Why are you going to bother maxing your Vex? It can be upgraded @ Xur regardless of whether or not it's at max.

I am going to document my escape from this treadmill of bullshit guised as a video game. I am not a religious man, but I will be praying for each and every one of you.

There are 5 customers ahead of you.

Yeah fuck this. Great update this week followed up with pure trash.

NastyBook

Y'all didn't want to farm world matts, right?
Well hope you like farming Glimmer.

7000 a pop, per upgrade.
**cues up Exclusion zone**

Wait till they nerf the majors there, too
Ohhh, you know it's gonna happen. I wouldn't put it past these MEGASHITLORDS to decrease the glimmer cap at this point.

Stop making me hate your game, Bungie.
"As always, we're listening."

"Comments have been closed."
#DECEASED

bungie dependence. lol.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you meant by that, but Bungie employees stated Xur wasn't random. Why is that "lol"?

i'll respond to a few accusations

Very strange word choice since there have been 0 accusations made by either one of us. You've posted your opinions and I've posted mine, just Gaf working as intended, haha.

the alternative is not letting us do so

An alternative, not the alternative. Not sure how this part is confusing.

I was "defending" it (except not really) because I understand why things like this are added to games.

Everyone understands why these things are added. People dislike them because they are added for reasons beneficial to the company but harmful to the player.

either misunderstanding or proving my point, both of the encounters with enrage timers can currently be completed without completely maxed weapons

Misunderstanding my point. When did I say maxed weapons were required? I specifically said non-maxed weapons could be used in spite of their lesser effectiveness. I said there are many gear checks in the game, which is true. A non-maxed weapon can still pass this gear check.

Apparently "new exotics" start at 302, so giving him an old one to upgrade will actually increase its attack... by 2. won't be worth it to lose the perks though. it's a longer-term option. Most of my exotics will stay as they are for the time being

Yea if they do start at 302 or 323... that wouldn't be AS bad but still sucks a lot. Why can't it "jump" 2 attack while adding new bubble(s). :\

Pickman

Herein lies my issue with this. I fall into what I'd imagine is a pretty large demographic of Destiny players. I play frequently and enjoy the gameplay aspects of the game, but don't get enough freetime to reach a gear pinnacle like some folks. I've had Patience and Time for over a month and only just capped it two days ago. It took a lot of work, lots of dailies, and when I was done I felt really, really proud.

Now I'm going to take this thing which gave me a great sense of accomplishment as a casual, and use a hard-earned currency to upgrade it. That is, if Xur decides that he MIGHT give me the opportunity to do so by having it on his list this week.

IF he does, I then get to grind the XP on the thing all the way back up all over again just to make it viable.

Bungie has taken my accomplisment and completely removed its value.

This differs from the loot grind in an MMORPG because, once you get that gear, it's pretty much as good as it's getting. You win the loot, you equip it, and you're stronger for it. With these Exotics you have to put work in to MAKE them the best they can be. That work lost is what is really pissing me off about this.

I'm really done defending this game from its naysayers.

I've invested 550+ hours into Destiny since launch and this new info is kinda making me feel like I've wasted my time.

I don't know... I think re-grinding again every update might drive me crazy.

More materials, more currency, fucking RNG upgrade paths for Exotics, let alone drops.

Everything just got unnecessarily more complicated.

Dave_6

Ugh, it's been hard enough to get just ONE character to level 29 with the time I have to play. Maybe I should take a step back and take a break from this a while.

I say that and more than likely will be playing tonight... :/

darkwing

More materials, more currency, fucking RNG upgrade paths for Exotics, let alone drops.

Everything just got unnecessarily more complicated.

hmm i wouldn't call it RNG upgrade because it's like 6 weapons and 6 armors per week, in a few weeks it will cover all existing exotics

Heel

Oh thank god he addressed that quickly. Because I was taking it as him saying our emotional reactions were somehow "wrong". Fucking twitter.

It's still bullshit, because the Game Informer article was interpreted correctly and the reactions are just. The follow-up does nothing to change that fact.

The post basically says we should be happy we're being given the opportunity to not "fall behind" when they should respect the player's time spent.

It just furthers the point that the game is designed to keep you playing until they ask for more money (expansions, the next game, etc.)

In short, fuck this game.

Not going to pick up the DLC, but I guess I will still play the game here and there

Unless you guys rate the new DLC favourably come Tuesday and the following weeks, ofcourse.

LiK

Yea if they do start at 302... that wouldn't be AS bad but still sucks a lot. Why can't it "jump" 2 attack while adding new bubble(s). :\

they could've changed the base stat and simply emptied out one bubble for this new update. I mean, not sure how hard it is to do that but having to completely reset the Exotics is just pure punishment especially for anyone who maxed out a lot of them.

My biggest issue are these commendations. One more stupid fucking currency that is unnecessary.

There is absolutely no reason to upgrade anything until Tuesday or to redeem any bounties or engrams.

Navid

Glad I didn't buy the DLC now, have no idea what thought process they went through to get to the decisions they did for this stuff... seems absolutely crazy to me.

Going to stick with what is there and try to get my characters to lvl 30 (I still very much enjoy the social group aspect of the raid) and then move on to other games until they either streamline this stuff or bypass it between future content and patches.

LiK

Normal crucible is now boring as heck after IB, IMO. And it definitely matters in IB!

IB was fun but having to play the same maps over and over got old. The new maps will hopefully make it in unless they stick to the same core maps then i'm out.

stb

Apparently "new exotics" start at 302, so giving him an old one to upgrade will actually increase its attack... by 2. won't be worth it to lose the perks though. it's a longer-term option. Most of my exotics will stay as they are for the time being

I'm not convinced "new exotics" starting at 302 is true. Unless we've gotten explicit confirmation about this, the screenshot of the 4 barrel shotty that's been going around shows that it's been upgraded (as the perks are white, not gray).

Why didn't they just reset the last node of attack damage, what's the thought process behind a complete reset? You're already spending a bit to do the upgrade, a complete reset just seems like punishment for having pre-DLC exotics.

Herein lies my issue with this. I fall into what I'd imagine is a pretty large demographic of Destiny players. I play frequently and enjoy the gameplay aspects of the game, but don't get enough freetime to reach a gear pinnacle like some folks. I've had Patience and Time for over a month and only just capped it two days ago. It took a lot of work, lots of dailies, and when I was done I felt really, really proud.

Now I'm going to take this thing which gave me a great sense of accomplishment as a casual, and use a hard-earned currency to upgrade it. That is, if Xur decides that he MIGHT give me the opportunity to do so by having it on his list this week.

IF he does, I then get to grind the XP on the thing all the way back up all over again just to make it viable.

Bungie has taken my accomplisment and completely removed its value.

This differs from the loot grind in an MMORPG because, once you get that gear, it's pretty much as good as it's getting. You win the loot, you equip it, and you're stronger for it. With these Exotics you have to put work in to MAKE them the best they can be. That work lost is what is really pissing me off about this.

I'm really done defending this game from its naysayers.

I strongly agree. I've had TONS of fun with the game leveling up all 3 characters to 30 (well, just need 1 more piece if Xur sells it this weekend). Was hyped for the DLC but if this resetting is true about Exotics, it completely defeats the purpose of the awesome less-grindy patch and buff exotics for me. I've done my grind, maxed my stuff and to reset it is completely stupid. I don't mind Grinding for NEW things, but for OLD??? We need to grind for new ones as is so why????

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What I don't understand about adding grinds is that this isn't a fucking MMO. So all you're doing is just driving people away and making it even harder to get people together to play end game content with no real benefit.

Why would anyone even consider the second expansion now, unless they got the season pass or the deluxe edition of the game?

Also am i right in thinking..

"Commendations are received in Reputation Reward Packages delivered by the Postmaster upon reaching a new Reputation Level"

Therefore you have to level a faction to buy a piece of gear?

Therefore everybody should rep a faction 'Future war cult" etc, because you can gain levels with them faster than Vanguard or Crucible?

EL CUCO

Primary weapons will only drop in the harder version of Crota's End, released sometime in January

Should I be upset? Why do I feel like they're artificially stretching content again...

hmm i wouldn't call it RNG upgrade because it's like 6 weapons and 6 armors per week, in a few weeks it will cover all existing exotics

I wouldn't bet on it. We have had like 12+ Xur days and several items have yet to be featured. Despite him offering 12 exotics per week, due to so many exotics across so many classes, you could still wait months for yours to show up.

that DeeJ tweet though. He honestly said that. Like, it's still up. He didn't realize victim blaming is a mistake and delete it.

He clarified on reddit that's it's not what he meant.

He said: "Game Informer reporting on this front is spot-on. There are some elements in the player response that amount to misinformation. That's a comment about the facts, rather than your visceral, emotional reactions to the information".

dB Viper

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if I should buy the DLC.

Diablo 3 on the way, MCC and Halo 5 beta should tide me over. That is, if MCC ever gets fixed.

Bladelaw

"As always, we're listening."

"Comments have been closed."

Gold right here.
Way to screw over your biggest players and the ones who've invested the most time into the game. I'm not looking for a cheap upgrade path. I don't mind putting additional effort into making my old favorites powerhouses but what I do mind is negating effort, and putting that upgrade path behind "RNG". Yay Xur has lots of items to choose from but who knows when he'll have the item I need/want upgraded? What if I'm out for a week and can't get into Destiny during a Xur trip? Fuck that.

I'll finish my stuff this week as I made commitments to local friends but I'm done after that.

Therefore everybody should rep a faction 'Future war cult" etc, because you can gain levels with them faster than Vanguard or Crucible?

Except Factions only take crucible marks. Before you could rep a faction and buy Vanguard. Now have to rep and buy from one place. More grind.

I wouldn't bet on it. We have had like 12+ Xur days and several items have yet to be featured. Despite him offering 12 exotics per week, due to so many exotics across so many classes, you could still wait months for yours to show up.

Yeah, that's true.

Anyone notice how it says "Upgrade Equipped Exotics"? That seems a bit misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom