• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze1

And then have it locked until the DLC is purchased. Flawless profit. DAT carrot
That would pissed off those who don't want to spend the money on the DLC. Bungie would be stupid to alienate what's left of the Destiny player base.

Then again, they have been making stupid decisions since launch so go at it Bungie!

Ridli

You're leaving out a key aspect though... that's to reach absolute MAX level. Which absolutely isn't necessary. And from the current indications we have about the next expansion, it's going to have the same level range as this one. So IF you get max level before that expansion.. every peice of gear/weapon in that becomes a sidegrade (again, if the info we have currently stays the same).

I really don't see the reason to be mad about how long it may take to get to max level. I honestly don't see that big of a deal behind re-leveling Exotics either, considering you would still be earning that xp playing the game anyways. But admitedly, I'm not one of the players that has a ton of exotics all maxed out. I have 3 primaries, 1 secondary, 1 heavy, all all three gear pieces for my class.

Actually, it's not even max level. It's specifically stated that the Vanguard/Crucible legendaries will be inferior to raid loot. So similar to how right now you can only get to level 29 from vendor gear, you would conceivably only be able to get to Max-1 with vendor gear.

However! Using vendor gear to get appropriate light levels to be able to raid is crucial. At the very least, I would be disadvantaged raiding on day1 because I am only a level 29 pleb (even if I can join an existing raid with a 30, you know that having someone underleveld for a raid is a liability due to the increased damage they take and less damage they deal). I would have to at least grind out one or two of these new tokens and upgrade the vendor gear to at least hit 30, hopefully 31 or so assuming the levels of the enemies in the normal raid scales like they do in VOG.

Taken as a whole, that it some serious gating of progression for a player who actively wants to play their game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nice!

Yeah it will be kinda neat to try playing the Raid with another class for the first time. I need to learn WoL for it asap. I'm currently pouring experience into that perk right now so shouldn't take much longer.

Where's the spot in Exclusion Zone everyone farms at? I need a place to knock out those major/ultra Cabal bounties efficiently.

Finally, there will be a point to Glimmer. The only problem I have with the update is the reset of xp on exotics is really poorly executed and BS. They should have simply tacked on more nodes to unlock for each piece of equipment so all the time spent upgrading it and all the shards and energies poured in don't go to waste. Furthermore, you have to stop using your favorite weapon until you power up the new version which potentially puts you at a large disadvantage and takes away a decent portion of what you find fun in the game. This is assuming you don't have a second version but it's a real head scratcher why they chose this path of progression. Oh well, at least it's just exotics and I don't have many of those I care enough to upgrade anyway. I wonder how this update will impact a special legendary like The Supremacy from the Queen's quests though, I love that weapon.
I'm close to unlocking WoL too but I think I'm like 2 or 3 bubbles behind. Need it so bad.

I can show you the Cabal glimmer stuff before our Weekly if you want. What time would be good for you?
But our names will forever be attached to them.

Look at that list of Guardians Lords.
anyone can be removed from that list at their request if they so desire

Apparently since we weren't lucky enough to receive the gear we needed in the raid we're now being punished further by having to waste our time and probably some kind of in-game currency buying gear that our friends received for free through pure randomness.

In addition we just won't be able to do some of the stuff we paid for in the DLC til we jump through however many hoops in order to obtain the gear and then level it up. $35 well spent!

So true and unbelievable that they think this is good game design. They already lost a lot
Of casuals through bad word of mouth. Last thing they need is to alienate the dedicated players who have spent countless hours playjng the grind fest that is destiny

Keeping alts at the current top level just became a lot more time consuming. And if your alts aren't level 29 already your super fucked now.

E92 M3

that DeeJ tweet though. He honestly said that. Like, it's still up. He didn't realize victim blaming is a mistake and delete it.

I wouldn't say it's victim blaming, just a bit pretentious and unneeded.

With the new patch, I thought to myself "Wow, Bungie is starting to realize impeding progress is stupid game design" and looky here. Gg

Yeah, but the problem is Bungie is so large (500+?) that one side doesn't know what the other is doing. How could they not see that we love to have fun toys to play with that doesn't require a dumb grind. I was starting to feel really good about the future of Destiny. Was starting to think that the grind will change. Grinds never change.

After next Tuesday, my favorite weapon will become The Devil You Knew.

:-(

That's funny.

This weeks update had me believing bungie knew what they were doing for a second.

A darn shame. I'm still hoping they haven't communicated something properly...and I just don't understand the point of commendation. All it does is just slow things down. So dumb.

Namikaze1

I'm close to unlocking WoL too but I think I'm like 2 or 3 bubbles behind. Need it so bad.

I can show you the Cabal glimmer stuff before our Weekly if you want. What time would be good for you?

anyone can be removed from that list at their request if they so desire
I don't want my name off! I want to be remembered!
That post was meant to come off as a joke.

I have to rank up with vanguard now to buy a weapon from them? I am a pretty high level with them already, does this make it harder for me to level again? does the requirments to hit next level go up as you level up or is it always 2500? or whatever it is?

No mention in changes to rep needed to level. Yet...

The commendation system is pretty much a band aid fix to the system OG Destiny had.

When you first started playing you needed to rank up the vanguard to 1-3 to get the tiers or armour or weapons, sparrow etc. Once you got over that level 3 you could buy as much as you pleased.

Now players are more experienced.

So instead of resetting vanguard rep. They chose to make each level = 1 upgrade. Making it even more difficult than the original system. More grindy. More of the same shit that made a lot of people stop playing.

Making it more difficult because we are getting 3 story missions 1 or 2 strikes and 1 raid. Not even close to the small content that was in OG Destiny.

What a shame. This is imperial evidence they just made it harder folks. Why.

spyder_ur

Apparently since we weren't lucky enough to receive the gear we needed in the raid we're now being punished further by having to waste our time and probably some kind of in-game currency buying gear that our friends received for free through pure randomness.

In addition we just won't be able to do some of the stuff we paid for in the DLC til we jump through however many hoops in order to obtain the gear and then level it up. $35 well spent!

It's pretty damn frustrating - I didn't expect these hoops and figured 29 was going to be fine since it is, well, you know impossible to get to 30 without the appropriate drops. But we still don't have all the info about how it is going to play out - wait and see I guess. Not loving what I'm hearing though - especially about these commendations.

Heel

I honestly think that by then they'll have worked through most of it's issues by then and will seriously be trying to get back the playerbase lost to all of this nonsense.

We'll see.

Just makes me wonder what genius plan they have ready for the sequel. All of this grinding is likely pointless.

Ugh. They're raising the level of the weekly and nightfall? And making strange coins more important?

They really don't seem to want people with limited amounts of free time or newcomers to play their game.

I was a little late with the comment. I took it as the truth, and figured that the incoming update on the news would just be backpeddling on what was planned. Turned out the only thing wrong was how people reacted to it...lol.

lol yeah, I was hoping for some last-minute back peddling as well. At least I can finally play some of my other games now.

Good luck with your refund. I would try as well except I'm 99.9% sure that they will stick with the "all sales are final" line. Oh well, our fault for being excited about their product.

zewone

You guys really think they'll have Xur selling those weapons to everyone? Weapons you can only get if you buy The Dark Below expansion or season pass?

Yes? They want you to want it and buy the DLC to get it. It's right there in front of you, just give us your $15 and Dragon Breath is yours.

Same reason Nintendo put Link in the Mario Kart 8 character select screen for non-DLC owners.

Strider

Lol I'm not even bothering to go in that. Gaming side hates Destiny as it is, I can imagine that thread will be a bloodbath.

What's amazing about the thread. People that liked Destiny up to this point are giving Bungie a hard time. People that are new to Destiny or don't play it think the way they are handling it is fine.

Crazy times.

spyder_ur

Actually, it's not even max level. It's specifically stated that the Vanguard/Crucible legendaries will be inferior to raid loot. So similar to how right now you can only get to level 29 from vendor gear, you would conceivably only be able to get to Max-1 with vendor gear.

However! Using vendor gear to get appropriate light levels to be able to raid is crucial. At the very least, I would be disadvantaged raiding on day1 because I am only a level 29 pleb (even if I can join an existing raid with a 30, you know that having someone underleveld for a raid is a liability due to the increased damage they take and less damage they deal). I would have to at least grind out one or two of these new tokens and upgrade the vendor gear to at least hit 30, hopefully 31 or so assuming the levels of the enemies in the normal raid scales like they do in VOG.

Taken as a whole, that it some serious gating of progression for a player who actively wants to play their game.

Bingo. I want to play and I have, so this is frustrating to me.

Snicky

I am totally accustomed to gear treadmills but this is on a new level. It is safe to assume that this will happen again when the next DLC launches in Q1/Q2.

Does anyone else feel like the gear treadmill timeline is just too short? I think this is compounded by the lack of content.

noomi

Hot damn, this thread blew up in the last hour.

You guys know that Bungie will backpedal on this, right? Enough people complain and continue to complain they will change it and make the exotic upgrades less drastic.

The amount of "currencies" that will be in Destiny as of the first DLC (that we are aware of)

• Glimmer
  • Vanguard Marks
  • Crucible Marks
  • Weapons Parts
  • Hardonic Essence
  • Sapphire Wire
  • Plasteel Plating
  • Ascendant Shards
  • Ascendant Energies
  • Motes of Light
  • Strange Coins
  • Exotic Shards
  • Radiant Energies
  • Radiant Shards
  • Vanguard Reputation
  • Crucible Reputation
  • Dead Orbit Reputation
  • New Monarchy Reputation
  • Future War Cult Reputation
  • Vanguard Commendation
  • Crucible Commendation
  • Spin Metal
  • Spirit Bloom
  • Helium Coils
  • Relic Iron
  • XP
  • Light Levels

Why exactly do you have to be Level 30? Normal is suggested at Level 28 right? I know that some of the enemies at the end are Level 32 but similar to MMO Raid Progression, drops you get in the earlier stages should help gear you for the later stages. We've been told that the Raid drops are going to be more generous (and we'll have to wait and see exactly how generous that is) but I'm not really seeing the problem here.

It seems most are upset because they wanted to immediately kick ass and take names in the raid on day 1, essentially skipping most if not all of the other content. I want to say maybe it's the fact that I've played so many other MMO's before but it seems like a lot of other MMO vets still don't like this system so I guess it's just me and a select few that aren't upset by it.

HighOnPCP

So I guess it's pretty much confirmed now that we won't be able to upgrade our legendary weapons when the DLC drops?

Fatebringer...

pouring-out-liquor.gif

Korten

Banned
And that kids is how DestinyGAF died over night.

;_;

Basically, I can't believe someone at Bungie thought this was a good idea. Who ever did no offense needs to be fired. This isn't a little mistake, this is a huge mistake which WILL cause players to rage and quit.

The amount of "currencies" that will be in Destiny as of the first DLC (that we are aware of)

• Glimmer
  • Vanguard Marks
  • Crucible Marks
  • Weapons Parts
  • Hardonic Essence
  • Sapphire Wire
  • Plasteel Plating
  • Ascendant Shards
  • Ascendant Energies
  • Motes of Light
  • Strange Coins
  • Exotic Shards
  • Radiant Energies
  • Radiant Shards
  • Vanguard Reputation
  • Crucible Reputation
  • Dead Orbit Reputation
  • Vanguard Commendation
  • Crucible Commendation
  • XP
  • Light Levels

And they still claim it's not a MMORPG...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm about to be level 29 and have never done the raid. Does this DLC basically mean doing VoG is a waste of time?
Assuming you can get groups together, VoG is still probably the faster way to get to 30 than to grind rep and marks if you are lucky enough.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This change... I've never seen such overreacting on GAF before, and I've been coming here for over 10 years. It's like people are just WAITING to be outraged about something.

flkraven

• Glimmer
  • Vanguard Marks
  • Crucible Marks
  • Weapons Parts
  • Hardonic Essence
  • Sapphire Wire
  • Plasteel Plating
  • Ascendant Shards
  • Ascendant Energies
  • Motes of Light
  • Strange Coins
  • Exotic Shards
  • Radiant Energies
  • Radiant Shards
  • Vanguard Reputation
  • Crucible Reputation
  • Dead Orbit Reputation
  • Vanguard Commendation
  • Crucible Commendation
  • XP
  • Light Levels

If you are counting weapon parts, then why not toss in Helium, Relic Shards, and all that other bullshit.

Do we know what the minimum amount of new gear to hit 30 is? Will one new legendary, upgraded exotic, and two non raid legendaries be enough?

So much grinding still left to do.....

BreakJohn

man i was LOVING destiny this week, the patch they released on monday was the best update this game has had period. had amazing nightfalls yesterday getting the two exotics i wanted most. get home from work today and im about to start up destiny as per usual, but before i do i check the bungie site for any lingering updates or messages only to be greeted by the worst future update post this game could possibly have had... seriously are you telling me that my 10+ 300 exotics were leveled up for nothing?! and worse still im gonna have to spend coins which also require time/grind to get JUST TO LEVEL MY ALREADY MAXED EXOTICS AGAIN. man.. this may be the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

the only way bungie can redeem themselves right now is by pulling a microsoft and doing a complete 180 and getting rid of this "new" system before its ever implemented. seriously people lets whine and complain till bungie at least acknowledges our concerns! it worked with the xbox one(drm) it can work again.

So really the best thing for most players to do is pick the exotics you want to keep using and dump the rest. Ice Breaker and Galler are too good in pve to lose as is The Last Word for pvp. So in actual fact this patch is just making player choose what they want, but people are reacting like the sky is falling and they will have to do the whole game again.

Ken

• Glimmer
  • Vanguard Marks
  • Crucible Marks
  • Weapons Parts
  • Hardonic Essence
  • Sapphire Wire
  • Plasteel Plating
  • Ascendant Shards
  • Ascendant Energies
  • Motes of Light
  • Strange Coins
  • Exotic Shards
  • Radiant Energies
  • Radiant Shards
  • Vanguard Reputation
  • Crucible Reputation
  • Dead Orbit Reputation
  • Vanguard Commendation
  • Crucible Commendation
  • XP
  • Light Levels

Half of those I would consider mats rather than currencies.

So I guess it's pretty much confirmed now that we won't be able to upgrade our legendary weapons when the DLC drops?

Fatebringer...

pouring-out-liquor.gif

I feel this is even worse than the commendations and added currencies.

I attached myself to these weapons more than any of their shitty characters. Now they basically killed them all off for new characters we may hate and pine for the old.

God damnit!!!

E92 M3

And that kids is how DestinyGAF died over night.

;_;

We'll cry in OT 12 ;_;

Fatebringer...

pouring-out-liquor.gif

I am still surprised they are making a ton of weapons irrelevant with the new DLC. Very surprised by that movie. In the same notion, I don't feel as bad about not getting it yet.

Ridli

Why exactly do you have to be Level 30? Normal is suggested at Level 28 right? I know that some of the enemies at the end are Level 32 but similar to MMO Raid Progression, drops you get in the earlier stages should help gear you for the later stages. We've been told that the Raid drops are going to be more generous (and we'll have to wait and see exactly how generous that is) but I'm not really seeing the problem here.

It seems most are upset because they wanted to immediately kick ass and take names in the raid on day 1, essentially skipping most if not all of the other content. I want to say maybe it's the fact that I've played so many other MMO's before but it seems like a lot of other MMO vets still don't like this system so I guess it's just me and a select few that aren't upset by it.

Slow your roll guardian. Do you have any confirmation that Crota is a level 28 raid? I was under the impression that minimum enemy level in Crota was 30. I would love to be wrong about this information.

flkraven

Assuming you can get groups together, VoG is still probably the faster way to get to 30 than to grind rep and marks if you are lucky enough.

I've been unable to get a group together. I'm sure I could try a little harder, but it's tough being an adult trying to get into a group without matchmaking. Spent most of Sunday trying to get a raid or nightfall group at level 28 with literally zero luck. I basically have to waste hours on end trying to get a group together so I can waste hours on end grinding.

Getting really frusturating. Going to be level 29 and I have still never done a Nightfall or Raid.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Really? Because most here were excited as hell when the last update dropped.

Yeah, it was a good update. But this change really isn't a big deal, and it's actually pretty cool how Bungie is allowing us to re-use our exotics at the new level cap. If that's the tradeoff for allowing us to use the same guns at level 32 - releveling the guns - then that's a fair price to pay. I've leveled up dozens of guns. It's really not that hard.

Ghazi

A lot of this would've been much better at launch, the reason it's this bad is because they're implementing all these things three months post launch. Except for the upgrade thing, that's pretty bad that it's a complete reset.

zewone

This change... I've never seen such overreacting on GAF before, and I've been coming here for over 10 years. It's like people are just WAITING to be outraged about something.

I'm curious to the reaction if old exotics had no chance of being upgraded.

What would have caused a bigger stir?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom