• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No mention in changes to rep needed to level. Yet...

The commendation system is pretty much a band aid fix to the system OG Destiny had.

When you first started playing you needed to rank up the vanguard to 1-3 to get the tiers or armour or weapons, sparrow etc. Once you got over that level 3 you could buy as much as you pleased.

Now players are more experienced.

So instead of resetting vanguard rep. They chose to make each level = 1 upgrade. Making it even more difficult than the original system. More grindy. More of the same shit that made a lot of people stop playing.

Making it more difficult because we are getting 3 story missions 1 or 2 strikes and 1 raid. Not even close to the small content that was in OG Destiny.

What a shame. This is imperial evidence they just made it harder folks. Why.

From the Game Informer article:

Quest lines are strongly inspired by exotic weapon bounties. Each quest line includes multiple steps, and the end of a quest line often provides a designated reward. For instance, the initial story mission quest line ends with the acquisition of Murmur, the new fusion rifle that can alternately fire both arc and solar damage.

So if these new quest lines offer rewards in the way of weapons and gear... then it may not actually be a longer "grind" to get your light levels up. The reason the initial system was as long as it was, was because there was no guaranteed Legendary level gear to earn from any activity. If the new activities offer guaranteed Legendary gear, often at the new levels.. then the vendors may just be there to help fill out your set up initially and then tweak it to specifics later on.

Snicky

Good luck to the well wishers hoping they reverse these major structural changes to currency and upgrades...the DLC launches in a week.

hydruxo

Yeah, it was a good update. But this change really isn't a big deal, and it's actually pretty cool how Bungie is allowing us to re-use our exotics at the new level cap. If that's the tradeoff for allowing us to use the same guns at level 32 - releveling the guns - then that's a fair price to pay. I've leveled up dozens of guns. It's really not that hard.

Exotics take forever to upgrade man. I play just about daily and some exotics took me weeks to max out. Nobody is saying it's "hard", it's just time consuming. And it's frustrating to have the time you put into maxing an exotic negated because you have to do it all over again to max it to 331.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Keeping alts at the current top level just became a lot more time consuming. And if your alts aren't level 29 already your super fucked now.
Wait, how's that?
And that kids is how DestinyGAF died over night.

;_;
i will need to see the receipts :-/
Slow your roll guardian. Do you have any confirmation that Crota is a level 28 raid? I was under the impression that minimum enemy level in Crota was 30. I would love to be wrong about this information.
it is 30. however, some form of non-raid, non-RNG method will be available for gearing up to ~31.

Jinjo

Just noticed the raid primaries being locked away at hard crota's end. Like what? You're locking away exactly the weapons we need to complete it?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm curious to the reaction if old exotics had no chance of being upgraded.

What would have caused a bigger stir?

What's funny is that not allowing exotics to be upgraded would mean Bungie is doing what EVERYONE ELSE has ever done when raising level cap. New level cap = need new weapons and armor. Here, that's not the case.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've been unable to get a group together. I'm sure I could try a little harder, but it's tough being an adult trying to get into a group without matchmaking. Spent most of Sunday trying to get a raid or nightfall group at level 28 with literally zero luck. I basically have to waste hours on end trying to get a group together so I can waste hours on end grinding.

Getting really frusturating. Going to be level 29 and I have still never done a Nightfall or Raid.
I would say you should be able to find a group here, but the problem is that most people here basically do everything on Tuesday.

I think it's terrible that there's no matchmaking for at least the all the non-Raid stuff, but that's Bungie for you.

Not at all. Completed it this morning with a bunch of randoms. Simplest way is only relic holder goes down and the rest help the relic holder take out oracles from the top. If the relic holder focusses on the oracles at the back it's for the best since the harpies that pass them will eventually move to the front and stay. If you leave them alive more harpies do not respawn giving the relic holder less headaches.

The only time it really gets tough is when the templar teleports to the front (left) and blocks the other players' line of sight of the oracles (while piling on the damage if they don't keep moving) however, the relic holder should be able to handle those instances

Did it last night and it was super easy. We tried to snipe twice and gave up on that and all went to the right and grouped when oracles came for cleanse and just DPS Templar the regular way. Took like 5 mins. Full hard raid in like 1.25 hrs last night.

Namikaze1

Yes? They want you to want it and buy the DLC to get it. It's right there in front of you, just give us your $15 and Dragon Breath is yours.

Same reason Nintendo put Link in the Mario Kart 8 character select screen for non-DLC owners.
Xur sells 1 equipment item for each class, 1 weapon, and 1 engram (being replaced by Exotic Shard). Now imagine if Xur only sells exotic items from the DLC. Or a mixed of both? What happens to players who don't have the DLC that are seeking exotic items for level 30 but the only item for their class available for sale is a DLC item? What happens to the brand new players after this Christmas doing the same? You'll have players waiting weeks or even months just for what they want. They may give in to what Bungie and Activison wants and buy the pass/expansion. Or they drop the game.

If Bungie is going to do that, they need to find the perfect balance but since this is Bungie, they will never find the perfect balance and instead will pissed off a portion of what's left of the Destiny fanbase.

Slow your roll guardian. Do you have any confirmation that Crota is a level 28 raid? I was under the impression that minimum enemy level in Crota was 30. I would love to be wrong about this information.

Recommended Level =/= Enemy Level. Recommended for Normal VoG is 26 but most felt 27 or 28 was a more dependable starting level. I.E. Recommended means it's possible at those levels but very hard.

As to where I got that info from, the multiple leaks about both of the expansions had the Recommended Level of 28 for both Raids.

The amount of "currencies" that will be in Destiny as of the first DLC (that we are aware of)

• Glimmer
  • Vanguard Marks
  • Crucible Marks
  • Weapons Parts
  • Hardonic Essence
  • Sapphire Wire
  • Plasteel Plating
  • Ascendant Shards
  • Ascendant Energies
  • Motes of Light
  • Strange Coins
  • Exotic Shards
  • Radiant Energies
  • Radiant Shards
  • Vanguard Reputation
  • Crucible Reputation
  • Dead Orbit Reputation
  • New Monarchy Reputation
  • Future War Cult Reputation
  • Vanguard Commendation
  • Crucible Commendation
  • Spin Metal
  • Spirit Bloom
  • Helium Coils
  • Relic Iron
  • XP
  • Light Levels

This is the most loose interpretation of what a currency is I think I've ever seen.

XP is not a currency. It's a score, a value. You can't trade in XP. Same with light levels.

A currency is something that you can use to exchange one thing for another. Most of the things on your list don't fit that.

The only things I see on your list that fits that definition (admittedly my own definition) are:
- glimmer
- marks
- motes
- coins

This change... I've never seen such overreacting on GAF before, and I've been coming here for over 10 years. .

I've been coming here for a few years and this wouldn't hit the top 100.

As others have stated, it most strongly punishes the most committed players. Other people may view it as an overreaction but I don't think that is accurate. "Resetting RPG progress is bad" is not an overreaction.

flkraven

I would say you should be able to find a group here, but the problem is that most people here basically do everything on Tuesday.

I think it's terrible that there's no matchmaking for at least the all the non-Raid stuff, but that's Bungie for you.

I agree. Or they should do the updates on the weekends, so us 9-5ers are able to get a group.

Heck, Raid should've allowed matchmaking a few weeks after most 'figured it out'. The raid is rated at level '26', so just make Matchmaking level 28 or something. I'd rather try the raid with matchmaking than not at all :(

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The worst part about all this to me is the cryptarch has virtually stopped granting me any coins from my engrams. I used to get a fair amount from him from running strikes, but as of a couple weeks ago I get a single coin every 20 decrypts.

BreakJohn

Yeah, it was a good update. But this change really isn't a big deal, and it's actually pretty cool how Bungie is allowing us to re-use our exotics at the new level cap. If that's the tradeoff for allowing us to use the same guns at level 32 - releveling the guns - then that's a fair price to pay. I've leveled up dozens of guns. It's really not that hard.

im sorry but if thats how you feel then you must not value your time very much. and this is coming from someone who has nearly 400 hours into this game. i get that a lot of us are overreacting right now, but you don't just bring someone up(with mondays patch) then shoot them down(with todays post) like a sack of potatoes and not expect some kind of backlash.

edit: sorry came off a bit abrasive there, i don't mean to sound like a jerk but this update has certainly soured me and my friends on destiny quite a bit.

Bizazedo

They should've just made it so old weapons were....old weapons. That'd be better than misunderstanding the psychology of players and making this mistake.

It'd also require them to make a lot of new weapons, though, and "effort".

From the Game Informer article:

So if these new quest lines offer rewards in the way of weapons and gear... then it may not actually be a longer "grind" to get your light levels up. The reason the initial system was as long as it was, was because there was no guaranteed Legendary level gear to earn from any activity. If the new activities offer guaranteed Legendary gear, often at the new levels.. then the vendors may just be there to help fill out your set up initially and then tweak it to specifics later on.

This would be a first for the game. Since every time it ended up being a loot table. It sounds just like a narrative exotic bounty. Hopefully armour because it was only weapons before.

From DeeJ in the other thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141492520&postcount=308

Hey, GAF. Please accept my apologies for the poor choice of words. I'm very sensitive to opinions, and those are never wrong. In my hasty tweeting, I did a poor job of alluding to some inaccuracies I was seeing.

http://www.bungie.net/7_The-Dark-Below-Preview/en/News/News?aid=12442

Posted that to help clear up some misinformation I had detected about how many Exotics one could upgrade each week, in addition to some general confusion regarding the future of your existing Legendary inventory.

My hope is that these systems will provide all players with options to keep up as the player base levels up in The Dark Below.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What's funny is that not allowing exotics to be upgraded would mean Bungie is doing what EVERYONE ELSE has ever done when raising level cap. New level cap = need new weapons and armor. Here, that's not the case.
While this is how I am looking at it, I can understand people feeling punished for having fully upgraded exotics.

Essentially I don't even play Destiny at all on Tuesdays :p

He or she should stay tuned for my weekly activities post (hopefully top of next page) and hopefully make it to tomorrow night's newbie raid!

I've been coming here for a few years and this wouldn't hit the top 100.

As others have stated, it most strongly punishes the most committed players. Other people may view it as an overreaction but I don't think that is accurate. "Resetting RPG progress is bad" is not an overreaction.

So would it be better if the Exotics weren't upgradable at all and instead players had to acquire new Exotics entirely? Because that's the other most likely option.

This system eliminates a players need to do the hardest part of leveling an Exotic. Actually getting it to drop for you.

This is the most loose interpretation of what a currency is I think I've ever seen.

XP is not a currency. It's a score, a value. You can't trade in XP. Same with light levels.

A currency is something that you can use to exchange one thing for another. Most of the things on your list don't fit that.

The only things I see on your list that fits that definition (admittedly my own definition) are:
- glimmer
- marks
- motes
- coins

Haha, have you played this game? Go buy a legendary weapon and full upgrade it. See how far you get spending what you listed above. Go run a night fall at level 18. Oh no, you can't? Guess you can just use a few more motes of light right? I used the quotes around "currencies" intentionally to acknowledge some are not the typical transaction you assume. You exchange some "currencies" for events to participate in. The vast majority of what I listed are directly currencies in the game, and only a few more loosely in the "currency" category.

By the most rigid definition of currency, as in you spend it, get something, and no longer own the currecny you spent, 20 out of the 27 fit the very literal definition of currency. All 27 of 27 provide some form of progress gate that you have to earn/grind to progress.

- glimmer
- marks
- motes
- coins

You're reacting to one word instead of the sentiment. These are all gating items. And there are a hell of a lot of them.

Ridli

it is 30. however, some form of non-raid, non-RNG method will be available for gearing up to ~31.

Okay, then from what I can tell, the new non-raid, non-RNG method to hit ~31 is getting the new fancy vendor gear. If there is another method - please, I need to know.

Oh man.. I just realized that the vendor gear is locked down by three (!!!) separate gating mechanisms. Have the appropriate rep level (2 for armor, 3 for weapon), have the appropriate amount of marks (100 weekly cap), and have a token to purchase. Even if you didn't care about raiding, that's some serious dedication to slowing player progression.

- glimmer
- marks
- motes
- coins

I... I think you're missing his point.

This would be a first for the game. Since every time it ended up being a loot table. It sounds just like a narrative exotic bounty. Hopefully armour because it was only weapons before.

If it turns out the way it's described then that would be a decent middle ground. Though it's worth noting that the author did say it "often rewards" rather than "always" and there's no info yet on how often or what it is exactly other than the very first quest line awarding a new fusion rifle. So expectations should be set accordingly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay, then from what I can tell, the new non-raid, non-RNG method to hit ~31 is getting the new fancy vendor gear. If there is another method - please, I need to know.
that's a a fair assumption, but no one actually knows the answer to this for sure yet.

Wait, how's that?

Getting gear from the vendors will take longer, how much longer i don't know. A level 28 alt at this moment can get raid gear to improve, next week they cannot raid the content without trouble, so they will need to get vendor gear, to do that they must run content over and over to get rep and tokens. New players will really feel the grind the most.

I'm fine with these changes. You guys are overreacting.

I can live with it, but its complete bullshit that I sharded exotics to hit that last bubble on some exotics only to be told a few days later, it will be reset again soon.

that is COMPLETE shit by anyone's standards.

MrMuscle

New Rank Commendations
In addition to Crucible or Vanguard Marks, purchasing new Legendary items will require a Crucible or Vanguard Commendation.
Commendations are received in Reputation Reward Packages delivered by the Postmaster upon reaching a new Reputation Level

I hope they will award us for the ranks we have gained already. But to be realistic i seriously doubt it.

Oh man.. I just realized that the vendor gear is locked down by three (!!!) separate gating mechanisms. Have the appropriate rep level (2 for armor, 3 for weapon), have the appropriate amount of marks (100 weekly cap), and have a token to purchase. Even if you didn't care about raiding, that's some serious dedication to slowing player progression.

The Game Informer article states that Quest Lines in the expansion "often" reward players with items and uses a weapon as an example. If gear is offered, that's another way that a player could improve their gear level. We'll have to wait for more specifics though to be sure.

zewone

Xur sells 1 equipment item for each class, 1 weapon, and 1 engram (being replaced by Exotic Shard). Now imagine if Xur only sells exotic items from the DLC. Or a mixed of both? What happens to players who don't have the DLC that are seeking exotic items for level 30 but the only item for their class available for sale is a DLC item? What happens to the brand new players after this Christmas doing the same? You'll have players waiting weeks or even months just for what they want. They may give in to what Bungie and Activison wants and buy the pass/expansion. Or they drop the game.

If Bungie is going to do that, they need to find the perfect balance but since this is Bungie, they will never find the perfect balance and instead will pissed off a portion of what's left of the Destiny fanbase.

The scenario you described makes it seem as if every Destiny player deserves a new exotic they don't have each week.

That is not the case. I have not had a need for Xur for a LONG time. No one is catering to my needs. Believe me that Bungie would rather have people tempted to purchase the DLC and not make sure everyone has a Gjallarhorn.

Xur is not your friend. He's a dick.

If they're allowing us to use old exotics, why such a limited amount, I wonder?

Resetting the weapon progress just seems completely unnecessary and adds to the grind. It's good that they start at 302 though.
I agree that it's not a huge deal, but it's yet another interesting decission.

Trace

Banned
I can live with it, but its complete bullshit that I sharded exotics to hit that last bubble on some exotics only to be told a few days later, it will be reset again soon.

This I can agree with. They should have explained this the same day the exotic patch dropped. I'm fine with the rest of the DLC changes, but having people lose shards/exotics for no reason is not good.

Yeah out of all this nonsense that really bugs me as well. I had sharded my exotics last week so I have no exotic shards but seeing how people were using the new materials economy to upgrade their exotics and use those shards I find it kind of messed up that we find out two days later it was all a waste

milkham

so what are you guys doing in-game now? I was going to dump xp into my two other mythoclasts, and maybe an invective or bad juju but there doesn't seem to be any more point to it until the dlc hits.

that's a a fair assumption, but no one actually knows the answer to this for sure yet.

Maybe the exotic narrative bounties we were talking about above. Would be a first for the game if they had exotic armour bounties.

I feel even us 30s will want the 31 gear...

Edit: haha, not above anymore.

Here:
Quest lines are strongly inspired by exotic weapon bounties. Each quest line includes multiple steps, and the end of a quest line often provides a designated reward. For instance, the initial story mission quest line ends with the acquisition of Murmur, the new fusion rifle that can alternately fire both arc and solar damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom