• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't have a major issue with this. They are allowing us to carry over previous gear and make it stronger. The only thing that really really pisses me off is that they should have told us last week when they made the materials economy so we didn't waste our marks. Or probably was their intension.
Hard as it is to believe, that was merely two days ago.

should have just mentioned that exotic progression would be reset when upgrading them to the new cap in the patch notes.
I guess I'm just trying to see the "good" with this new mechanic of upgrading your old exotics but if they start out at a higher damage they will be back to old damage or even slightly above without even maxing them out fully meaning you'll probably have a 300+ exotic by the time you haven't even unlocked the last 3 upgrade bubbles which take the most XP IIRC. Still don't like it because it's RNG based.
You gain 2 attack just by making the "exchange" (but lose the perks)

zewone

Only to be told today that when I upgrade my exotic in the DB it will reset that path and I will have to re-level the gun (minor issue for me) and spend another exotic shard (huge issue)

Not to mention that the items available for upgrade is random and you have only a two day window per week to do it.

Got back from lunch. Had a decent amount of time to let things float around in my noggin. I am not happy about certain aspects of the situation. The thing that kills me the most is that Bungie seems to ignore the huge elephant in the room known as *time played* and this new system is a kick in the balls to those players that have pretty much eat, breath and sleep Destiny.

Steroyd

Lets see

Ballerhorn
Last Word
Mida Multi-Tool
Thunderlord
Truth
Thorn
Plan C
Pocket Infinity
Akimiofijofsiojfsdij Symbiote
Saint Helm-14
Crest of Alpha Lupi (both Hunter and Titan)
Armamentarium
Sunbreakers

These are pretty much the Exotics I give enough of a shit to want to carry into the new world, which would cost 91k glimmer.... Bungie, fix this shit.

Nodnol

Just a thought; what's the point in buying anything from Xur this week? Next week he will have the better version of it?

Unless of course he will sell the standard version, which you then have to upgrade? I answered my own question didn't I?

My exotic is maxed. I shouldn't need to redo the entire goddamn thing again. That's my issue with this.

For the guns it makes no damned difference, you start with over 300 attack, it's literally the same as adding bubbles onto it. Armor on the other hand..

The way Bungie has been updating Destiny has pretty much cemented the fact that I probably won't buy Destiny 2 at all. You would think that they would take this time to fix all the problems people had with Destiny but it seems like they're just adding more shit to piss people off. There is nothing intuitive or fair about this new "exotic upgrade".

More and more it seems like they're just intentionally stalling peoples progress and holding people back for no reason and I don't understand why. These decisions are only going to inform them in their making of Destiny 2 and that is just gonna make me stay away from that game.

I'm thankful they told me this before I bought the expansion cos I was gonna buy it during the weekend and at this point I don't see a reason why if they're just gonna be introducing more infuriating road blocks.

Jinjo

Lets see

Ballerhorn
Last Word
Mida Multi-Tool
Thunderlord
Truth
Thorn
Plan C
Pocket Infinity
Saint Helm-14
Sunbreakers

These are pretty much the Exotics I give enough of a shit to want to carry into the new world, which would cost 77k glimmer.... Bungie, fix this shit.

Not to mention the XP...

you're also forgetting the glimmer for all the upgrade nodes

zewone

Just a thought; what's the point in buying anything from Xur this week? Next week he will have the better version of it?

Unless of course he will sell the standard version, which you then have to upgrade? I answered my own question didn't I?

Hahaha. Yes. :|

Coconut

Banned
Lets see

Ballerhorn
Last Word
Mida Multi-Tool
Thunderlord
Truth
Thorn
Plan C
Pocket Infinity
Saint Helm-14
Sunbreakers

These are pretty much the Exotics I give enough of a shit to want to carry into the new world, which would cost 77k glimmer.... Bungie, fix this shit.
How do poeple not have like a ton of glimmer on hand it's been literally the most useless material in the game.

I'm close to unlocking WoL too but I think I'm like 2 or 3 bubbles behind. Need it so bad.

I can show you the Cabal glimmer stuff before our Weekly if you want. What time would be good for you?

anyone can be removed from that list at their request if they so desire

I'm working on the final jump and WoL together and am so thirsty for that WoL perk!

Nice, I should be able to hop on at 8 EST. I would think we could knock out both of those things within an hour no problem.

Jinjo

For the guns it makes no damned difference, you start with over 300 attack, it's literally the same as adding bubbles onto it. Armor on the other hand..
Have you ever used a peasant Gjallarhorn without Wolfpack rounds? The exotic perks are what makes or breaks those guns. It is absolutely not the same as adding bubbles onto it. That's what they should do.

Dante316

should have just mentioned that exotic progression would be reset when upgrading them to the new cap in the patch notes.

Lol your right, it was 2 days ago..I think I spent 400 marks on materials lol to lvl up my exotics..

k1t4j

The grind is real, brehs. Holy shit.

I wonder if vanguard commendations are retroactive. I doubt Bungie would be that generous.

The vanguard commendations scare me, My vanguard and crucible level is really high, am I going to be penalise for this? like my levels take longer to level up so I have to grind more than say someone that is just level 2 vanguard.........

Good thing I didn't spend my marks on mats by the looks of it

Strider

How do poeple not have like a ton of glimmer on hand it's been literally the most useless material in the game.

when the most recent patch dropped a lot of us spent all our glimmer upgrading stuff right then and there since we could easily get the destination materials required. I lost all my glimmer right then.

That being said glimmer is pretty easy to come by so that's not really a big issue here.

Daemul

Lets see

Ballerhorn
Last Word
Mida Multi-Tool
Thunderlord
Truth
Thorn
Plan C
Pocket Infinity
Saint Helm-14
Armamentarium
Sunbreakers

These are pretty much the Exotics I give enough of a shit to want to carry into the new world, which would cost 91k glimmer.... Bungie, fix this shit.

You need 2.6million experience to level up all this stuff, not counting in all the exotics coming in the DLC which you're also going to need to level up.

Have fun.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The way Bungie has been updating Destiny has pretty much cemented the fact that I probably won't buy Destiny 2 at all. You would think that they would take this time to fix all the problems people had with Destiny but it seems like they're just adding more shit to piss people off. There is nothing intuitive or fair about this new "exotic upgrade".

More and more it seems like they're just intentionally stalling peoples progress and holding people back for no reason and I don't understand why. These decisions are only going to inform them in their making of Destiny 2 and that is just gonna make me stay away from that game.

I'm thankful they told me this before I bought the expansion cos I was gonna buy it during the weekend and at this point I don't see a reason why if they're just gonna be introducing more infuriating road blocks.

The prospect of Bungie learning something is extremely wishful thinking. They're not learning things. They're constantly creating new barriers. If you think Destiny 2 will magically usher in new thought processes and a coherent design that doesn't need constant tweaking, you're delusional.

Oh wait, do we lose all perks on exotics when upgrading them? Perks are the entire point of an exotic over Raid gear. You ain't taking my Praise the Sun for a bit higher defense!

cilonen

Is whats going on here a proper meltdown?

Never been part of one live before.

I know I am pissed.

I think it might be. Heck, even with it's flaws I thought the game was fun to play and I defended it's good points, I could see an upgrade path that worked for me as a pretty much solo player but with this I don't see how I'm going to progress easily and it,s getting harder to defend the bullshit.

I'm pissed too.

Lol your right, it was 2 days ago..I think I spent 400 marks on materials lol to lvl up my exotics..

welcome to the club, how did they not see this coming? my buddy who was on vacation and couldn't play made out better then me a die hard that plays every fucking day.

DeeJ replied to one of my posts on the Gaming side thread

Personally, I never had an issue with using Ascendant materials for exotics. I thought it was fine as it was, though I'm fine with the addition of exotic shards. I don't see how resetting progress is "speeding up the path" to upgrading exotics though. If anything, it takes longer.

If they think that ascendant mats are the gate to leveling up exotics, then they are truly out of touch with the game. The gate is the exp grind, well for me at least!

Steroyd

Not to mention the XP...

you're also forgetting the glimmer for all the upgrade nodes

Yeah absolutely ridiculous, the glimmer shouldn't have been capped at the start or at the very least let us get to 999999.

I can't believe they fixed one economy and pretty much broke another side of it... no actually I can very well see that, why do I keep playing this game.

Yeah. You're right. Why account for the most dedicated among the player base? Whatever.

The most dedicated group is the smallest group. If you design towards them, you lose the biggest contention of your playerbase which brings in the most cash. That dedicated group is also the most likely to ragequit at the slightest adjustments.

What's the reasoning behind cross-class loot drops if not an incentive for carrying multiple characters?

It's not incentive as much as it allows for alt creation to be slightly easier. They don't seriously expect the majority of the playerbase to level and gear 3 characters all to max.

zewone

You need 2.6million experience to level up all this stuff, not counting in all the exotics coming in the DLC which you're also going to need to level up.

Have fun.

Well good thing you can equip multiple exotics to help make the grind easier.

Oh, wait.

Have you ever used a peasant Gjallarhorn without Wolfpack rounds? The exotic perks are what makes or breaks those guns. It is absolutely not the same as adding bubbles onto it. That's what they should do.

Wolfpack is like the fourth bubble, nightfall plus a telemetry and 10 bounties will get it up pretty damn quick.

I realize I sound like an apologist, but it's not as big of a deal as it's made out to be.

Geneijin

The vanguard commendations scare me, My vanguard and crucible level is really high, am I going to be penalise for this? like my levels take longer to level up so I have to grind more than say someone that is just level 2 vanguard.........

Leveling Rank 3 is the same as leveling Rank 30. My concern is if commendations will be random drops after leveling a rank and not guarantees.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
My Stockpile is Ready!
CqAhudP.jpg

(Working on getting 5 more exotic shards by the weekend =D)

Let's fill those bubbles up again!

Okay, so here's my current exotic list:

nqTIZLR.png

That's 20 x 7,000 glimmer: 140,000 glimmer
That's 20 x Exotic Shards for 7 strange coins: 140 Strange Coins

That's a hell of a lot of currency to just get 23 extra attack power/ 2 light. Heaven help you if you don't have the coins to afford buying everything you want that week.

Not to mention, you can only level one exotic at a time. OR that you need another 140 strange coins to get them to max attack power/light level again. OR that Xur is guaran-BLAM-teed to sell duplicates and not offer what you want when you need it. People are talking about holding off on upgrading the first time something comes around like Gjallarhorn. Well, Gjallarhorn has only come up once from Xur. If you miss it one week, there's no guarantee it won't be back til March 2015.

Okay...I understand that those are all the exotics you own. I understand the point you are trying to make. I have a similar exotic collection.

But seriously, are you trying to convey that you immediately need to have all of those pieces of armor/weapons fully upgraded? Tell me honestly how much of it you actually use.

Agent

I haven't checked this thread in about and hour and when I saw 10 new pages I knew something was up.

I wasn't prepared for what I was about to read. So if I'm getting this straight, I shouldn't bother touching the Gjallarhorn I got last night unless I want to do it all over again next week? All the exotics I've upgraded fully I have to re-do? Is this real life?

You know they are going to make things more difficult to the point you are going to have to make the upgrade. With weapons it is even worse considering how they adjust things like stability, the perks, etc. through updates. That Gjallarhorn you just re-leveled? The next week it could get nerfed because its too powerful. This is looking at it in the extreme, but with Bungie I'm learning to expect the worst.

They are introducing new materials to upgrade gear because they felt people didn't upgrade to wait for raid gear so they want to encourage people to do more upgrades. Yet, they pull this scheme. What incentive do you have to upgrade knowing you might have to do it all over again potentially to upgrade it higher? Did they really think this through?

Maybe I'm missing something as I'm reading through this at work in a hurry, but none if this make much sense.

My Stockpile is Ready!
CqAhudP.jpg

(Working on getting 5 more exotic shards by the weekend =D)

Let's fill those bubbles up again!

Your posts always inspire hope!

All this stuff should have been announced in Mondays patch notes... I think in general the way this info was handled was a hard pill to swallow.

depward

As a newb and new level 23 with 100 marks accrued over time:

should I buy a piece of rank 2 crucible armor or wait?

I am so confused.

CLBridges

Oh wait, do we lose all perks on exotics when upgrading them? Perks are the entire point of an exotic over Raid gear. You ain't taking my Praise the Sun for a bit higher defense!

I think that's pretty much the primary reason people are upset. The perks make the exotic, so having to re-grind the xp again for the perks and higher attack power, tiring. This is gonna make me really think about what exotics I take forward and which ones I may shard.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
you lose your perks, it's not worth it for me to do to my maxed Gjallarhorn right up from (I will exchange my other, non-upgraded one)

all vanguard ranks past 3 take exactly the same amount of rep to roll over
That's my thinking as well, though if we're talking about raising the base light level it might be more worth it for armor than for weapons

Coconut

Banned
when the most recent patch dropped a lot of us spent all our glimmer upgrading stuff right then and there since we could easily get the destination materials required. I lost all my glimmer right then.

That being said glimmer is pretty easy to come by so that's not really a big issue here.

Is it less or more of an issue than getting ass shards?

HighOnPCP

Ahh I'm dumb, we just talked about this lol.
So nothing good about it at all ugh.

At least getting up to the second perk doesn't take TOO much time I guess.

The most dedicated group is the smallest group. If you design towards them, you lose the biggest contention of your playerbase which brings in the most cash. That dedicated group is also the most likely to ragequit at the slightest adjustments.

It's not incentive as much as it allows for alt creation to be slightly easier. They don't seriously expect the majority of the playerbase to level and gear 3 characters all to max.

There are plenty if us here, myself included, with all 3 classes at 30. Stop saying we shouldn't be part of how the game grows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom