• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

koryuken

I haven't checked this thread in about and hour and when I saw 10 new pages I knew something was up.

I wasn't prepared for what I was about to read. So if I'm getting this straight, I shouldn't bother touching the Gjallarhorn I got last night unless I want to do it all over again next week? All the exotics I've upgraded fully I have to re-do? Is this real life?

You know they are going to make things more difficult to the point you are going to have to make the upgrade. With weapons it is even worse considering how they adjust things like stability, the perks, etc. through updates. That Gjallarhorn you just re-leveled? The next week it could get nerfed because its too powerful. This is looking at it in the extreme, but with Bungie I'm learning to expect the worst.

They are introducing new materials to upgrade gear because they felt people didn't upgrade to wait for raid gear so they want to encourage people to do more upgrades. Yet, they pull this scheme. What incentive do you have to upgrade knowing you would have to do it all over again potentially to upgrade it higher? Did they really think this through?

Maybe I'm missing something as I'm reading through this at work in a hurry, but none if this make much sense.

Oh yes and the nightfalls are now lvl 30. So i hope that the forever 29 club or any non 30 alts can even do them now...

I hope that, at least, all vanguard bounties can be completed on the new raid (e.g. precision kills on VoG are not counted) and that its enemies give experience.

Jinjo

Wolfpack is like the fourth bubble, nightfall plus a telemetry and 10 bounties will get it up pretty damn quick.

I realize I sound like an apologist, but it's not as big of a deal as it's made out to be.

Yes that is one Gjallarhorn (not even maxed mind you). I have two of them maxed. I was working on my third. Not to mention all the other exotic weapons and armor I've levelled over the past months. I spend hundreds of hours on that stuff. And now I gotta do it all over again if I want to be competitive in the new content. They completely nullified my time investment in this game. That's the problem. Not filling up "more bubbles". Which is why more damage nodes is the way to go.

Steroyd

How do poeple not have like a ton of glimmer on hand it's been literally the most useless material in the game.

I've been dancing on the glimmer cap since about week 2 or 3 of the game's release, I've been buying ammo synths... the heavy one, and have about 60-80 between my 3 characters the only time I've ever had to pay attention to my glimmer amount was during Iron Banner 2 weeks ago when I actually ran out because there were about 4 items I wanted that cost between 4500 - 11500 glimmer... and the amount you could only hold at one time was 25k...

Even after Iron Banner it took me one week to hit the limit again.

Also thanks to the new economy I've been upgrading some exotics a damn sight quicker which has also seen my glimmer funds diminish over the week instead of going up, lord help me when the DLC hits, I may have to *urk* farm glimmer at this rate.

I think I even posted on this thread of how pointless glimmer was as a currency last week.

The worst part of this is that the grind is tougher than OG Destiny, and the content they are delivering along with The Dark Below and these changes isn't even close to what was offered before.

The grind to content ratio is even worse.

Just remember, after vanguard level 3 you could buy as much stuff as possible. Now you need to upgrade every time for 1 item. So much slowe.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As a newb and new level 23 with 100 marks accrued over time:

should I buy a piece of rank 2 crucible armor or wait?

I am so confused.
Hey there! Sorry about all the chaos right now.

If you've got your Crucible rank to 2 you should absolutely buy your first legendary chest, gloves, or boots- replace whichever item on you has the least Light.
Ahh I'm dumb, we just talked about this lol.
So nothing good about it at all ugh.

At least getting up to the second perk doesn't take TOO much time I guess.
haha huh? I'm saying, like you suggested, you get higher attack just from making the switch, without having to invest anything.
I hope that, at least, all vanguard bounties can be completed on the new raid (e.g. precision kills on VoG are not counted) and that its enemies give experience.
whoa, is that true? Crazy. I've definitely done Vex majors and Venus mat collection bounties in the raid before.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I wish was there was some type of reforge system like they did with the IB weapons for the current crop of legendary items. Like a way to earn a chance to reforge my VoC for example to the new damage cap.

It's funny how they always hyped up about having a story about the weapon you have. How you found it, what you had to do, etc. Well now the story is, oh yeah that, I sharded it because it's useless after a few months. Great story.

The game doesn't have the stable of gear that other MMO's have to do something like this in such a short timespan where a large portion of legendary items will be rendered useless. And from what was leaked, it doesn't look like there's going to be a huge amount of new ones. It's going to be the same situation over again where by the end of this expansion timeline everyone will be wearing all the same shit again. And after they talked about how important customization and options are for your guardian.

Carn82

I still don't really get how the Vanguard/Crucible commendations work. Are they the new currency for Van/Cruc items? Or is it "Item X costs 2 commendations + 100 marks" ?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
are fusion rifles good in pvp? It always seems like they don't do much dmg but I wouldn't know since I'm still lvl 15
Yes, they can one-shot even from considerable range. If you aren't yet using a blue one though you're definitely in need of an upgrade :>

Ghazi

I've avoided playing for the past month're so, mostly due to frustration after being caught between levels 24 and 26 for weeks.

It's really disappointing to see that most of the new content in the expansion caters to people at the top of the level cap--I realize that's the target demographic for people who are going to pay $20 for more Destiny, but to someone like me who sees literally dozens of hours between where I am now and where the expansion expects me to be, what's the point? And now that they're making the leveling up grind even MORE complicated (really? we need to level up a faction before we can buy a legendary?), the game seems worse, not better, than it was at launch.

I'm a fool and bought the guardian edition, so I guess I'll check out the strikes and the pvp maps...but for twenty bucks, I want new content that makes playing at ANY level more exciting.
It does not cater to people at the top. It caters to people like you haven't reached it yet. Which is good for you.

X-Frame

There is something we need to know:

When you go through this Xur reset/upgrade process, what is the now Base ATK or Light value of that exotic item?

Is it 302 ATK for a weapon and +30 Light for the armor?

For example, it may take a shitload of XP to get a Gjallarhorn to unlock all its upgrades, but it is a considerable amount less to only upgrade it to its last unique perk. Maybe even half as much? I need to see the math again.

Unlocking that final perk may be half as much XP to fully unlock all upgrades, but you may be sitting at 315 ATK or something -- so even though you only gave it half the XP it needs to unlock all, it is already back to its normal perk functionality AND a higher Attack rating.

It was always the last 3 Ascendant Mat upgrade circles that required a lot of XP.

So if we reset the exotic weapon and it instantly becomes 302 ATK, that is much difference than if it goes back to 274 or whatever it starts at now.

Thoughts?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So if we reset the exotic weapon and it instantly becomes 302 ATK, that is much difference than if it goes back to 274 or whatever it starts at now.
it'll be whatever the new base Attack is, which is apparently indeed 302.

no idea on base Defense or Light for armor.

cilonen

I still don't really get how the Vanguard/Crucible commendations work. Are they the new currency for Van/Cruc items? Or is it "Item X costs 2 commendations + 100 marks" ?

I think it's the latter, marks plus commendation and I'm hoping it's one per item.

Steroyd

are fusion rifles good in pvp? It always seems like they don't do much dmg but I wouldn't know since I'm still lvl 15

Are fusion rifles good he says, lulz.

Fusion rifles are infuriatingly one hit kills, at least when you start getting legendary fusion rifles with stupid perks, plus the range on them can be ridiculous.

There are plenty if us here, myself included, with all 3 classes at 30. Stop saying we shouldn't be part of how the game grows.

That's not at all what I said. What I said was, you can't expect a game designer to base their progression systems on the smallest aspect of the playerbase. What most do is try to split the difference but people on one side or the other will be angry if you focus solely on one group.

The expectation to have 20 exotics across 3 characters all easily and quickly upgraded isn't reasonable. I'm sure a lot of people would love it. It would help them tear through the new content even more quickly than they already will. But then what happens to them and to the game? Especially as they're the most vocal contingent of a playerbase? "Too easy," "not enough content for the money," etc... They have to balance these things. And what they did to balance it is allow for Exotics to be upgraded at the trade off that they have to be leveled to be fully maxed out. It's not a bad setup at all.

I wish was there was some type of reforge system like they did with the IB weapons for the current crop of legendary items. Like a way to earn a chance to reforge my VoC for example to the new damage cap.

It's funny how they always hyped up about having a story about the weapon you have. How you found it, what you had to do, etc. Well now the story is, oh yeah that, I sharded it because it's useless after a few months. Great story.

The game doesn't have the stable of gear that other MMO's have to do something like this in such a short timespan where a large portion of legendary items will be rendered useless. And from what was leaked, it doesn't look like there's going to be a huge amount of new ones. It's going to be the same situation over again where by the end of this expansion timeline everyone will be wearing all the same shit again. And after they talked about how important customization and options are for your guardian.

I've grown attached to a lot of legendary weapons and I am sad to see them go.

Stantron

So when we get to finally upgrade an exotic armor piece, I wonder if it will scale the intellect/discipline/strength, or if we get screwed with another random stat that's already assigned to the new gear.

Xur is basically useless this week. There's no point in buying an exotic that you'll have to spend another 7 strange coin upgrading later. Unless he sells something like Ghorn, and you want to make sure you have the opportunity to later upgrade the gimped version when Xur feels like it.

Greenymac

Looking for a few for completing a hard raid starting at the templar...I have two 30s ready to roll. Anyone want to jump in with us at about 6:45 or 7pm eastern US time?

1. Greeny
2. dracovore

Just quote with your psn ID and I will add you from the PS app.

Quoting for new page...No takers? Really?

Coconut

Banned
I've been dancing on the glimmer cap since about week 2 or 3 of the game's release, I've been buying ammo synths... the heavy one, and have about 60-80 between my 3 characters the only time I've ever had to pay attention to my glimmer amount was during Iron Banner 2 weeks ago when I actually ran out because there were about 4 items I wanted that cost between 4500 - 11500 glimmer... and the amount you could only hold at one time was 25k...

Even after Iron Banner it took me one week to hit the limit again.

Also thanks to the new economy I've been upgrading some exotics a damn sight quicker which has also seen my glimmer funds diminish over the week instead of going up, lord help me when the DLC hits, I may have to *urk* farm glimmer at this rate.

I think I even posted on this thread of how pointless glimmer was as a currency last week.

I do find Destiny's new shifting economy interesting and gives importance to a thing you previously thought was trash and the thing you thought was really important is now useless. I kinda hope they keep this going.

I share the sentiment with the majority of you...not looking forward to upgrading my stuff again. That said, it was naive to expect that it would be so straightforward to get your exotic stuff to the top tier of new content. Just not realistic to expect that there would be little effort involved.

My biggest gripe, currently, is that in the excitement of the new progression (buying mats with marks, etc) I dumped a fair amount of time and resources into upgrading my exotic weapons over the past few days. Spent marks, which I could have been saving for TDB Vanguard/Crucible gear. Dismantled some exotics for shards. All to upgrade weapons for what turns out is just a week of use. All to be canceled out if I wish to progress them further.

Knowing this was how it was going to work, this information absolutely should have been relayed to us with the most recent patch. There is no excuse, no sensible reason to have left us in the dark (no pun intended) about this. Just plain bad communication.

cilonen

I've grown attached to a lot of legendary weapons and I am sad to see them go.

I'm attached to my TDYK. It's a dropped one rather than bought so I have radar visible whilst aiming on it. I don't want to lose that gun, or rather, that gun to lose it's usefulness.

ocean

Banned
The mood in this thread was so different yesterday. We were actually happy these guys had listened to us with regards to material economy and exotic adjustments and even Raid tweaks. That along with the upcoming DLC had us pumped and excited - the mood here was decidedly positive. More positive than it had been in a good goddamn while.

This shit is just disappointing though. I mean it's cool that they're giving us the option of keeping our Exotics relevant. What they're offering is just ridiculous though. With the amount of XP it takes to upgrade an exotic, notice how only 10% of the player base has done it at all according to PSN trophies.

If 10% of the player base have a single exotic fully upgraded, what minuscule proportion are we? The people who have grinded to hell and back to upgrade multiple stuff - we are the most dedicated players in the community, the loyal crowd who knows damn well the game's misgivings and yet pushes on regardless. And we stand to be disproportionately affected by this weird design which helps no one.

I'd say, honestly, add a node. Make that nose a bitch to upgrade. Have Xur randomly sell some new material (we can never have too many apparently) required to unlock it. Stick an obscene XP requirement. We'll do it. Making us start over though? To actually lose XP and planetary materials and ascendants and so much goddamn time? It's silly and cruel, cmon.

Luckily I don't have that many *fully* upgraded Exotics, only: Suros Regime, Ice Breaker, Truth, Helm of Inmost Light, No Backup Plans, Armamentarium, Sunbreakers, Heart of the Praxis Fire. It still feels crazy to be asked to literally give up so much work.

Does anyone know how many Exotics are in the game, and how many they are adding? If there is a comparable amount of awesome new Exotics, then I will most likely just use the fully leveled old Exotics to obtain and help level the new ones. I have no interest in leveling up using a gimped Exotic that I just spent a bunch of time upgrading to non gimped status.

I'm a bit disappointed that I will have very little motivation to level up my brand new VoC.

There is something we need to know:

When you go through this Xur reset/upgrade process, what is the now Base ATK or Light value of that exotic item?

Is it 302 ATK for a weapon and +30 Light for the armor?

For example, it may take a shitload of XP to get a Gjallarhorn to unlock all its upgrades, but it is a considerable amount less to only upgrade it to its last unique perk. Maybe even half as much? I need to see the math again.

Unlocking that final perk may be half as much XP to fully unlock all upgrades, but you may be sitting at 315 ATK or something -- so even though you only gave it half the XP it needs to unlock all, it is already back to its normal perk functionality AND a higher Attack rating.

It was always the last 3 Ascendant Mat upgrade circles that required a lot of XP.

Thoughts?

Shit I didn't even think of Exotic armour possibly going down in light level with the upgrade through Xur. It better be 30 and 300.

patchday

You're leaving out a key aspect though... that's to reach absolute MAX level. Which absolutely isn't necessary. And from the current indications we have about the next expansion, it's going to have the same level range as this one. So IF you get max level before that expansion.. every peice of gear/weapon in that becomes a sidegrade (again, if the info we have currently stays the same).

I really don't see the reason to be mad about how long it may take to get to max level. I honestly don't see that big of a deal behind re-leveling Exotics either, considering you would still be earning that xp playing the game anyways. But admitedly, I'm not one of the players that has a ton of exotics all maxed out. I have 3 primaries, 1 secondary, 1 heavy, all all three gear pieces for my class.

Hope this post ain't serious. Many hard raids wont take someone unless max weapons. And the ones that did accept them I regretted it because they felt like the weak link if they were L29

whoa, is that true? Crazy. I've definitely done Vex majors and Venus mat collection bounties in the raid before.

Vex majors and "Predator and Prey" work for example, but the other day I was doing "It's All in the Head" and the number didn't go up the whole raid

That's because you get no experience in VoG at all.

Then they should rewrite the bounty text.

It's All in the Head: Kill 100 enemies with precision damage.
Vex Minds: Kill 10 Vex Majors or Ultras.

No mention of experience in either of them, and one works while the other (at least in that occasion) didn't.

Okay...I understand that those are all the exotics you own. I understand the point you are trying to make. I have a similar exotic collection.

But seriously, are you trying to convey that you immediately need to have all of those pieces of armor/weapons fully upgraded? Tell me honestly how much of it you actually use.

It's not about immediately. It's about in general that is more strange coins and glimmer than I've ever had and all of it is just to keep what I already have current. To say nothing of trying to buy new exotics or level them. XP requirements haven't been reduced, only Ascendant Mat requirements. So they still take a hell of a lot of time to get your pips.

And oh yah, there was this awesome Exotics patch that just came out that makes me want to play with all of my exotics again. Even if you want to say, Epyon, you have a bunch of different classes there, that's unreasonable, it's still reasonable for one class to have a bunch of weapons. Bungie has flat out said they want us to collect them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom