• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so here's my current exotic list:

nqTIZLR.png

That's 20 x 7,000 glimmer: 140,000 glimmer
That's 20 x Exotic Shards for 7 strange coins: 140 Strange Coins

That's a hell of a lot of currency to just get 23 extra attack power/ 2 light. Heaven help you if you don't have the coins to afford buying everything you want that week.

Not to mention, you can only level one exotic at a time. OR that you need another 140 strange coins to get them to max attack power/light level again. OR that Xur is guaran-BLAM-teed to sell duplicates and not offer what you want when you need it. People are talking about holding off on upgrading the first time something comes around like Gjallarhorn. Well, Gjallarhorn has only come up once from Xur. If you miss it one week, there's no guarantee it won't be back til March 2015.

goddammit

Hiko

Banned
I am now 100% convinced that no one at Bungie actually plays their game for any extended amount of time like most of us do.

I posted this in the thread on gaming side as well. No way anyone at Bungie seriously plays the game. All the decisions are purely business oriented. That's why this whole time there has been such a huge disconnect between what the players want and what Bungie actually delivers, and when they deliver it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just realised motes of light are now purely for cosmetics and emblems as they've taken the engram out of Xur's wares.

Well done Bungie! (/sarcasm)
motes are incredibly valuable during Iron Banner, don't blow them all on capes
Yeah! That's where the mistake is . A lot of people just fully upgraded some exotic because of the patch, and now it doesn't matter.
Just poor communication with the community.
yeah, that's accurate. everyone would have saved their exotic shards.

there is a massive backlash now, so maybe they will cave in and offer something.

Steroyd

Man playing with randoms is so infuriating, now that exotic bounties have a purpose, I'm spamming the Dubious Task one, because at worst I only need 12.5k glimmer buying the special ammo, the 5 strikes without dying and doing a weekly are trivial.

Anyway the get a 25 kill death spread was rage inducing, everyone was running everywhere and taking spawns, so I had situation where I was surrounded by 3 or 4 of the enemy spawning all over the place, and the outcome was a not so pretty KDR where it bloody well matters what KDR I get.

Anyway, Shores of Time with the Praedyth Timepiece, Praetorians Foil 2 weapons I don't like using in PVP and Gjallarhorn produced this.

I think it may have found a use for the Pulse rifle in this game, yummy, I'm surprised at how much I hate using raid weapons n PvP.

Man.... not going to be happy about re-leveling my exotics....

If I really have to, it will only be a select few worthy... like the icebreaker...

And that's the point. Rather then people dragging a vault full of exotics from expansion to expansion, u need to be very choosy about what u want to invest the time in and carry forward. If anything, I'll alternate which expansions I upgrade certain weapons so they're never "too" far behind.

Bungie always said they wanted people to get attached to their weapons and invest in them, I imagine that ballerhorn that's been upgraded fully two or three times will have a lot of stories attached to it.

However, introducing exotic shards and not warning people about the changes is just a dick move. You trumpet the fact that exotics are easier to upgrade, but dont bother to tell anyone that they'll need to start over in a week so you should probably wait.

cilonen

motes are incredibly valuable during Iron Banner, don't blow them all on capes

yeah, that's accurate. everyone would have saved their exotic shards.

there is a massive backlash now, so maybe they will cave in and offer something.

Ahh. I'm not really a PvPer so I didn't know they had another use.

What's funny is that not allowing exotics to be upgraded would mean Bungie is doing what EVERYONE ELSE has ever done when raising level cap. New level cap = need new weapons and armor. Here, that's not the case.

As noted by others, the "EVERYONE ELSE" that would be applicable here have way more content/gear than Destiny. It's not a fair comparison.

So would it be better if the Exotics weren't upgradable at all and instead players had to acquire new Exotics entirely? Because that's the other most likely option.

This system eliminates a players need to do the hardest part of leveling an Exotic. Actually getting it to drop for you.

It would be better if there was sufficient content to replace all the old stuff, like in other games. But the point is moot because that's not the only other option. Why do people keep making this point?

There are countless better things they could have done and many of them are already described in the last few pages of the thread.

The system doesn't eliminate that because we still need RNG/Xur to acquire the new Exotics. It just recreates the need to do something we already did (e.g. unlocking Exotic perks). Everyone would be fine if they just added new nodes that had to be upgraded for higher Attack rating.

Getting non-Xur exotics to drop isn't the hardest part, its just the only part completely out of the players' control. Was it hard for some Lv27 to sit at the back of the room while someone else cheesed hard Atheon and they got the Vex on their first try? They are just recreating the most time consuming part, to keep people playing between expansions.

nqTIZLR.png

That's a hell of a lot of currency to just get 23 extra attack power/ 2 light. Heaven help you if you don't have the coins to afford buying everything you want that week.

Not to mention, you can only level one exotic at a time. OR that you need another 140 strange coins to get them to max attack power/light level again. OR that Xur is guaran-BLAM-teed to sell duplicates and not offer what you want when you need it. People are talking about holding off on upgrading the first time something comes around like Gjallarhorn. Well, Gjallarhorn has only come up once from Xur. If you miss it one week, there's no guarantee it won't be back til March 2015.

Wait, what? That list includes multiple classes. Of course it would be espensive and time consuming to upgrade multiple classes worth of exotics. I don't understand why Bungie should take that into consideration.

We should all keep in mind that if the community outcry is strong enough(and I mean a ridiculous amount of outcry) they will probably go back to the old system

Greenymac

Looking for a few for completing a hard raid starting at the templar...I have two 30s ready to roll. Anyone want to jump in with us at about 6:45 or 7pm eastern US time?

1. Greeny
2. dracovore

Just quote with your psn ID and I will add you from the PS app.

nqTIZLR.png

May be wrong but don't you need to use an exotic Shard to purchase the "new" exotic? Then you need another Shard for the final upgrade? Making it 2 shards per weapon?

I hope I'm wrong.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Few things:

Why didn't they mention this strategy BEFORE players already spent some of their exotic shards?

Raid weapons will now become lower tier than any exotic. That means if you don't have a Mythoclast, just checkpoint at HM Atheon because the weapons you'll obtain throughout the rest of the raid don't matter as much (barring any exotic drop).

Nodnol

Eh...I don't know what to think.

Resetting Exotics is beyond bullshit. How many hours and mats did we all pump into those? I kind of assumed there'd be an upgrade available to buy that would respec the gear in question, or unlock a new progression tree, not reset it all. I don't care about the slight increase in damage; I like my yellow squares around items because I fucking worked for that shit.

My first reaction to no primary weapon drops in the raid was to get angry. Then I considered that new Legendary items (none-raid) will be able to hit the relevant Attack rating, so that's a none-issue. All you're missing out on is a perk for TDB's Oracle equivalent.

The extra mats and diversification....I can kinda understand that. It complicates things, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think we need to see how it actually functions.

It seems it will also give anyone under 30 a chance to catch up almost. That's a good thing.

What it does seem like though, is it's a massive middle-finger to the most faithful and most dedicated. What the fuck are they thinking?

I'm all in as a Digital Guardian Edition owner (Fuck you Activision Overlords, I payed less than the standard edition thanks to a region free console), and I dare say I will continue playing because my friends will continue to do so, but any faith or hope that Bungie were listening has just disappeared. I suppose my opinion (and self pride) is left in tatters because what I'm essentially saying is "Fuck you Bungie, but I'll continue playing". You can be aware of Stockholm Syndrome and still suffer from it, right?

Steroyd

So when you upgrade exotics in the new DLC, it seems your weapon's progression is reset. That's a tough one - it requires a ton of glimmer and XP to go through that again.

Here's the link: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/03/stare-into-the-dark-below-new-details-on-the-destiny-expansion.aspx

When he arrives every Friday morning, he will now have a new option to upgrade one of your equipped exotic items. Each week, he’ll offer some (but not all) exotic items as being available to upgrade.

You’ll need three things. First, you need to own the original version of that exotic item, and turn it in to exchange for the upgraded version. It doesn’t matter if this old version of the item is brand new or fully upgraded. To complete the upgrade, you’ll also need to turn in an exotic shard. This recently introduced new material is available for purchase for seven strange coins from Xur, or by breaking down another existing exotic item in your inventory. Finally, each exotic upgrade costs a hefty dose of cash – around 7000 glimmer as of my playthrough of the expansion in mid-November. After turning all three of these things into Xur, he’ll hand you a brand new version of your item with a higher defense or attack value cap.

It’s important to note that this process resets the upgrades on your exotic item, but you’ll now have a new higher damage or defense cap to work towards – so you’ll need to decide if you’d rather keep your fully upgraded old version of a weapon or armor piece, or start over.

ibgGL3TgWfsR3I.gif

cilonen

We should all keep in mind that if the community outcry is strong enough(and I mean a ridiculous amount of outcry) they will probably go back to the old system

I'm more annoyed that the legendary upgrade path is 'just buy a new one' when the majority of our gear is legendaries and we now need to wait for a level up to get a commendation to buy a new one.

Managed to do the last Atheon hard mode for me this week right before I needed to head out and go to my class.

Dropped Truth for me..second time this week I got Truth despite already having it. I guess it is now going to be an exotic shard

BreakJohn

i didn;t have a maxed vex mythoclast so i don't know how they implemented the attack increase with that one, anyone with a maxed mytho did it just upgrade in damage after the patch without you having to do any other upgrades? if so why doesn't bungie just do that with ALL the old maxed exotics?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
there is no old system.

hopefully they will adjust this one for players with maxed exotics.
i didn;t have a maxed vex mythoclast so i don't know how they implemented the attack increase with that one, anyone with a maxed mytho did it just upgrade in damage after the patch without you having to do any other upgrades? if so why doesn't bungie just do that with ALL the old maxed exotics?
The Mythoclast, intentionally, has higher base attack than all other exotics

E92 M3

It'll still take a month to change =/

Yeah, it just upgraded to the new stats.

Trace

Banned

It was just an increase in damage. They wanted the Vex to be the best gun going into the next raid, so I'm surprised they're letting you upgrade the other exotics at all.

I've avoided playing for the past month're so, mostly due to frustration after being caught between levels 24 and 26 for weeks.

It's really disappointing to see that most of the new content in the expansion caters to people at the top of the level cap--I realize that's the target demographic for people who are going to pay $20 for more Destiny, but to someone like me who sees literally dozens of hours between where I am now and where the expansion expects me to be, what's the point? And now that they're making the leveling up grind even MORE complicated (really? we need to level up a faction before we can buy a legendary?), the game seems worse, not better, than it was at launch.

I'm a fool and bought the guardian edition, so I guess I'll check out the strikes and the pvp maps...but for twenty bucks, I want new content that makes playing at ANY level more exciting.

DeeJ replied to one of my posts on the Gaming side thread

Personally, I never had an issue with using Ascendant materials for exotics. I thought it was fine as it was, though I'm fine with the addition of exotic shards. I don't see how resetting progress is "speeding up the path" to upgrading exotics though. If anything, it takes longer.

He always says 'I'll tell that to the dev team' or 'We're listening' or 'This will be fixed soon'.

I hope you're very patient.

Hiko

Banned
I'm more annoyed that the legendary upgrade path is 'just buy a new one' when the majority of our gear is legendaries and we now need to wait for a level up to get a commendation to buy a new one.

This is much bigger bullshit than what they are doing with exotic weapons.

They haven't even said anything about exotic armor yet. I guess we just have to acquire those again?

It would be better if there was sufficient content to replace all the old stuff, like in other games. But the point is moot because that's not the only other option. Why do people keep making this point?

There are countless better things they could have done and many of them are already described in the last few pages of the thread.

The system doesn't eliminate that because we still need RNG/Xur to acquire the new Exotics. It just recreates the need to do something we already did (e.g. unlocking Exotic perks). Everyone would be fine if they just added new nodes that had to be upgraded for higher Attack rating.

Getting non-Xur exotics to drop isn't the hardest part, its just the only part completely out of the players' control. Was it hard for some Lv27 to sit at the back of the room while someone else cheesed hard Atheon and they got the Vex on their first try? They are just recreating the most time consuming part, to keep people playing between expansions.

Time sinks are apart of the genre whether you view Destiny as an MMO or a Loot Game. And I disagree with your "better ways" assessment because it isn't objectively better, it's just easier for the player, which is not always a good thing.

And using the example of people cheesing bosses to get gear doesn't work as that was never intended.

Daemul

DeeJ replied to one of my posts on the Gaming side thread

Personally, I never had an issue with using Ascendant materials for exotics. I thought it was fine as it was, though I'm fine with the addition of exotic shards. I don't see how resetting progress is "speeding up the path" to upgrading exotics though. If anything, it takes longer.

So this is it:

The facts I can provide are that we've tried to speed up the path to upgrading weapons by removing the need for Ascendant Materials.

That's what they mean by "speeding up" the upgrade process of exotics? Oh lord.

Bungie, ascendant materials being needed to level up exotics wasn't the problem, the Raid made sure we had plenty of that shit. 200,000xp being needed to level up exotic gear to the point of even needing ascendant materials was the problem.

Ridli

I would rather them not revert completely. I honestly don't mind the fact that I have to pick and choose which exotics I carry on with me. I've left a lot of old tanking gear in the stormwind bank. In truth players should want to get new stuff all the the time.

But many of the new mechanics presented are frankly bewildering for a modern company in this type of market. They do not value the time that the player has already invested in their systems.

Seriously?

Yes, seriously. Why should they design the progression around a select few players that have 2 or 3 characters? Moreover, getting those 3 characters leveled and geared wasn't quick and cheap the first time around, so why should it be quick and cheap for the expansion?

Dante316

I don't have a major issue with this. They are allowing us to carry over previous gear and make it stronger. The only thing that really really pisses me off is that they should have told us last week when they made the materials economy so we didn't waste our marks. Or probably was their intension.

I have 161 coins, so I should be good on buying all the exotic upgrades from Xur for awhile. Hopefully he sells something new from the DLC for both armour and weapons next week. Then mixes it up.

I can only assume if he is selling an old exotic it is the upgraded version.

HighOnPCP

I guess I'm just trying to see the "good" with this new mechanic of upgrading your old exotics but if they start out at a higher damage they will be back to old damage or even slightly above without even maxing them out fully meaning you'll probably have a 300+ exotic by the time you haven't even unlocked the last 3 upgrade bubbles which take the most XP IIRC. Still don't like it because it's RNG based.

I won't argue with your disheartenment*. If that's your reaction, I'll pass it along. (Although, who am I kidding? This is GAF, and people are reading this thread as I type.)

The facts I can provide are that we've tried to speed up the path to upgrading weapons by removing the need for Ascendant Materials.

*Is that a word?

We have more than enough ascendant materials. We now need to wait for Xur, spend 7k glimmer and a whole lot of XP to add 23 attack points.

But if the weapons improve in power what the problem? Exotics start at 273 now and go to 300 when leveled costs you shard, Want to continue using that weapon on current content? fine upgrade it, weapon goes to 302 and max's at 323 or whatever. Seems fine to me, its your choice as the player to do this. having to level it again just seems part of the course.

I think you are missing the point. I have no problem with a path to better legacy exotics.

my problem is that on Monday, I was told.. hey you can shard exotics to get an exotic shard and that will let you get that last upgrade on your other exotics. So I broke down a few doubles I had and spent the glimmer and the mats to hit that last bubble.

Only to be told today that when I upgrade my exotic in the DB it will reset that path and I will have to re-level the gun (minor issue for me) and spend another exotic shard (huge issue)

Frenden

Banned
Yes, seriously. Why should they design the progression around a select few players that have 2 or 3 characters? Moreover, getting those 3 characters leveled and geared wasn't quick and cheap the first time around, so why should it be quick and cheap for the expansion?

Yeah. You're right. Why account for the most dedicated among the player base? Whatever.

Mindlog

What's the reasoning behind cross-class loot drops if not an incentive for carrying multiple characters?
We have more than enough ascendant materials. We now need to wait for Xur, spend 7k glimmer and a whole lot of XP to add 23 attack points.
I'm actually really low on Ascendant Energy now :]
I was upgrading everything to get ready for Crota's End...

That's OK though. I can just run the raid and the next set of weeklies. Back to having plenty of Ascendant Energy again...
To do something with....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom