• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navy Bean

Xur is useless every week from now on in that regard. He's not going to sell the upgraded versions of weapons/armor outright. He'll sell the old version and you'll have to put in the work to upgrade it.

If he has something you want, you need to buy it and then use him to upgrade it (when his stock allows you to).

If this is true then people are going to riot...lol. I honestly can't believe you have to wait for Xur to have the upgrade available - for the privilege of re-leveling the same weapon. Bungie has mastered the art of trolling us now...

Geneijin

According to Deej on twitter Xur will start selling the powered up version of exotics (not the upgrade option, the actual exotic) starting next week. Might be better waiting on Xur to restock an exotic instead of spending glimmer and shards. You're gonna have to do the xp grind either way.
Not at all. It'll be cheaper for those who own the item already to spend the 7 coins instead of 23 or whatever coins it'll be for a fresh stock.

I can't get over this from Deej:
  • "Most importantly, these upgrade paths are completely elective - a means of allowing all players to keep up with progression. Everyone will now have a chance to reach 30."
  • "These new systems are completely elective. We're allowing all players in the world of Destiny to level up, and not fall behind. You'll have new options to acquire better gear. If you choose to bring along your favorite exotic items along for the new ride, there will be options for you to do so."

I do not get this at all. How are you selling us Level 32 content and then saying going to 32 is completely elective? What is the point of rebalacing and buffing all the exotics (fantastic job by the way) and then saying "Oh, it's up to you if you want to continue to use them. Completely elective." What?

Trakan

According to Deej on twitter Xur will start selling the powered up version of exotics (not the upgrade option, the actual exotic) starting next week. Might be better waiting on Xur to restock an exotic instead of spending glimmer and shards. You're gonna have to do the xp grind either way.

Ahaha, seriously? So they're going to make this grand upgrade system of theirs completely pointless?

Jesus Christ.

Time sinks are apart of the genre whether you view Destiny as an MMO or a Loot Game. And I disagree with your "better ways" assessment because it isn't objectively better, it's just easier for the player, which is not always a good thing.

And using the example of people cheesing bosses to get gear doesn't work as that was never intended.

Fact: getting an exotic to drop isn't hard, its just RNG-dependent. That randomness could make it very hard or very easy which is why you can't say it's hard or easy. You can only say it's random.

I have no idea what you are talking about, so we can go ahead and give it a rest. We clearly won't be able to understand one another.

So when you upgrade exotics in the new DLC, it seems your weapon's progression is reset. That's a tough one - it requires a ton of glimmer and XP to go through that again.

Here's the link: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/03/stare-into-the-dark-below-new-details-on-the-destiny-expansion.aspx

"Specifically, the game will pay closer attention to the drops you’ve already had, as well as how long it’s been since you get a “fun” drop (as opposed to just materials). While there’s still a significant component of randomness, Bungie strongly implied to me that players should have a more consistent reward experience with the raid than what has been experienced in Vault of Glass when the Crota’s End raid launches on day one of the expansion. "

omg more raid shards, lol.

Greenymac

Yo shame you left when you did. We got that down quick yesterday afterwards. Props to Draco and his crazy relic skills. Btw if you're trying again today: I saw a video with a strategy that looked interesting.

5 on top + relic holder hides in the cubby hole (the one people use to kill weird Oracle). He has an awkward but doable shot at Templar with his super from that room and worst case, he can drop to use his super then climb back up there.

Good luck!

Dude I really didnt have a choice....Had shit to do!

Steroyd

Honestly the material stuff never bothered me you could WISELY get a buncha bounties and farm material and come out on top real quick.

I did that, and also material farmed during patrol misions... but then came a situation where I needed about 400 - 500 relic iron, with no mars bounty missions, and said "fuck it."

Ridli

I do not get this at all. How are you selling us Level 32 content and then saying going to 32 is completely elective? What is the point of rebalacing and buffing all the exotics (fantastic job by the way) and then saying "Oh, it's up to you if you want to continue to use them. Completely elective." What?

There's a long tradition of spinning bad news by mentioning "choice" and "options" because those are inherently positive words. PR speak.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Reposting this from the other thread since I didn't get an answer.
I don't know what's going on with the perks. you made a logical inference from that screenshot, but
474.jpg

So what is the news about upgrading to higher light levels? Missed the update.

Since the new expansion is coming out, the newer legendary and exotics are obviously going to be more powerful. In order to not make old legendaries and exotics worthless, you can "upgrade" your old exotic at Xur to bring up its base damages to be on par with new weapons. But, it resets the EXP progression on the weapon, and costs 7k Glimmer and one Exotic Shard.

Same goes for Exotic armors as well.

Steroyd

Ahaha, seriously? So they're going to make this grand upgrade system of theirs completely pointless?

Jesus Christ.

No, the point of the upgrade process is to bring the exotics "up to spec" with the new gear, I could wait for a second Ballarhorn to drop thanks to RNGesus and just level that up, but fuck that noise.

hydruxo

Source? That picture shows an Exotic with at least the mid damage upgrade already completed.

That picture isn't a screen from the game, because it has numerical values next to the stats (impact, stability, etc.) and that's not in the game. Also, it's blacked out in the background where as in-game it's see through black. It looks like it's just a replication of the pop-up from the game.

Any exotics that you acquire after the DLC comes out will have a base attack of 302, that goes for new and old exotics.

Exotic Gear in The Dark Below will have higher Attack and Defense values than current Exotic Gear.

Source

shem935

Banned
Since the new expansion is coming out, the newer legendary and exotics are obviously going to be more powerful. In order to not make old legendaries and exotics worthless, you can "upgrade" your old exotic at Xur to bring up its base damages to be on par with new weapons. But, it resets the EXP progression on the weapon, and costs 7k Glimmer and one Exotic Shard.

Same goes for Exotic armors as well.

Fucking hell.

nowai

The post is completely serious. What you're describing is artificial gating created entirely by the playerbase. It happens quite a bit and it's definitely a serious problem and very, very annoying. However, you don't actually NEED to be max level to participate in raids and we have players in this thread that actively try to work against that type of attitude.

The only thing I can suggest is that you seek out the types of players who don't carry that attitude because there's really nothing that can be done to combat elitist players.

Level 30 is not required for hard mode VoG, but 300 weapons is. You are severely hurting your team if your weapons are not maxed.

CLBridges

Bungie hasn't clarified whether upgrading old exotics will start their base attack above 300, but it would be nice if it rings true. Just wish they would let us keep the perks while upgrading attack power (A man can dream lol). I probably will be so caught in the new content I may just leave most of the old exotics behind except for a select few. I know I will make Icebreaker priority for specials and gjallahorn for heavy, haven't decided on primary yet. I wish I could upgrade my Fatebringer and Corrective Measure to exotic lol, my two favorite VOG weapons.

No longer frustrated with the new stuff/grinding in DLC, it is what it is. Only thing that does 'grind my gears' a little is no Hard mode until January and raid primaries locked behind that. But, I'm thinking Eris may provide a little help in that department (pure speculation though).

Steroyd

What needs 400-500 relic iron?

Before patch, Plan - C, Patience and Time, Found Verdict, Corrective Measure, Ice breaker, Hunter Gauntlets... basically most of my recently acquired gear had an obsession with Relic Iron and it all built up to a stupid number.

Three game streak of 8+ k/d with randoms.

Damn, I /love/ Gunslinger.

Anyone for pvp? :3

I do, my hunter needs a 25 kill death spread.... delicious.

Trakan

that was complete and baseless speculation...

Yeah, the fact that Xur selling upgraded versions wasn't mentioned by GI or the update that Bungie had to do to clarify how poorly they handled this, but by a tweet 4 hours after.

Completely baseless.

So the first week Xur is selling the upgraded items I can either purchase a new upgraded Aclyophage Symbiote for 13(?) coins, or I can do this convoluted upgrade process with the one I already own.

Guess which one I'll choose.

Varvor

Do this new changes to re-upgrading exotic mean that by the time second DLC comes out we will have to do it all over again? That seems counterproductive and outright bullshitty.

hydruxo

Bungie hasn't clarified whether upgrading old exotics will start their base attack above 300, but it would be nice if it rings true. Just wish they would let us keep the perks while upgrading attack power (A man can dream lol). I probably will be so caught in the new content I may just leave most of the old exotics behind except for a select few. I know I will make Icebreaker priority for specials and gjallahorn for heavy, haven't decided on primary yet. I wish I could upgrade my Fatebringer and Corrective Measure to exotic lol, my two favorite VOG weapons.

No longer frustrated with the new stuff/grinding in DLC, it is what it is. Only thing that does 'grind my gears' a little is no Hard mode until January and raid primaries locked behind that. But, I'm thinking Eris may provide a little help in that department (pure speculation though).

You get a new version of the same gun or armor with a higher base attack/defense rating than before when you upgrade it.

Coconut

Banned
Before patch, Plan - C, Patience and Time, Found Verdict, Corrective Measure, Ice breaker, Hunter Gauntlets... basically most of my recently acquired gear had an obsession with Relic Iron and it all built up to a stupid number.

I do, my hunter needs a 25 kill death spread.... delicious.

Oh well yeah leveling up an entire hoard is going to be nutso that's not the game that's on you.

cilonen

Do this new changes to re-upgrading exotic mean that by the time second DLC comes out we will have to do it all over again? That seems counterproductive and outright bullshitty.

May as well just wait till the second one drops and do it all then. Seriously.

ocean

Banned
Quick edit to my earlier rant:

I'm a reasonable guy. If buying the upgrade path resets our weapon but now starts at 302 attack, controversy dispelled. Nothing to see here. That'd be alright. My fear was buying an upgrade path and lowering attack level.

Depends in the time of day, Bungie's mood, blood type, Chinese sign, alignment of the stars and Pokemon type

Jinjo

Pretty much. Will run the new raid on normal once, a few times if it's good. After that I'll be done with Destiny until the second DLC pack (I regret my season pass purchase now). Not doing the grind three times.

Dave_6

Quoting for new page...No takers? Really?

Will you take level 29 1/2 Hunter? I also haven't done a hard raid yet. I do have a maxed Ice Breaker, along with a Corrective Measure and Hexen's Vengeance that are one bubble from being maxed each.

Carn82

So.

- Current exotic weapons / gear: You can reset (aka trade in) these @ Xur for 7k glimmer + exotic shard (shard is buyable from Xur for 7coins). Your 'new' exotic will have higher base stats compared to your old one. But you`ll have to re-level it from scratch. You won't need any Ascendent shards except for the last node, which requires an Exotic shard.

- New Legendary gear will have higher stats (probably higher light level as well?) and will be available to all. (Question: Will this be the 'current' gear but upgraded? Or will it all be 'new' stuff? Or both?)

So if you arent a raid-player you can upgrade your exotic(s) and get new legendary gear and get to level 30. (correct me if im wrong).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom