• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shem935

Banned
So are they gonna increase the amount of coins we will get from weeklies? Or the amount it takes to buy items? Because if I need 2 exotic shards per exotic weapon (One for upgrade to new stats, one for the final bubble upgrade) that is 14 coins per weapon and armor, and I can earn min 27 every week. In that time I am no longer raid ready because I have to level that bullshit up again unlocking the exact same perks just ending up with better stats at the end. And all of my legendary weapons and armor are fucking useless going forward. Why would I upgrade any of them? I guess I am gonna run the raid for new raid gear and weapons, hope for better versions of my current weapons to drop, in the meantime once I find suitable replacements for my old weapons I will shitcan my fully upgraded non raid legendaries.

realcZk

It's a mystery!

Assuming he'll just have them as upgrade options for PS4 users sometimes. but who knows.

for better or worse, playerbase mood will actually be a sine wave for the entirety of the game's lifespan.

My time in Destiny:

wWPCuQ3.png

Jinjo

The mood in this thread was so different yesterday. We were actually happy these guys had listened to us with regards to material economy and exotic adjustments and even Raid tweaks. That along with the upcoming DLC had us pumped and excited - the mood here was decidedly positive. More positive than it had been in a good goddamn while.

This shit is just disappointing though. I mean it's cool that they're giving us the option of keeping our Exotics relevant. What they're offering is just ridiculous though. With the amount of XP it takes to upgrade an exotic, notice how only 10% of the player base has done it at all according to PSN trophies.

If 10% of the player base have a single exotic fully upgraded, what minuscule proportion are we? The people who have grinded to hell and back to upgrade multiple stuff - we are the most dedicated players in the community, the loyal crowd who knows damn well the game's misgivings and yet pushes on regardless. And we stand to be disproportionately affected by this weird design which helps no one.

I'd say, honestly, add a node. Make that nose a bitch to upgrade. Have Xur randomly sell some new material (we can never have too many apparently) required to unlock it. Stick an obscene XP requirement. We'll do it. Making us start over though? To actually lose XP and planetary materials and ascendants and so much goddamn time? It's silly and cruel, cmon.

Luckily I don't have that many *fully* upgraded Exotics, only: Suros Regime, Ice Breaker, Truth, Helm of Inmost Light, No Backup Plans, Armamentarium, Sunbreakers, Heart of the Praxis Fire. It still feels crazy to be asked to literally give up so much work.

Completely agree. I've stuck with destiny and yesterday it actually felt like it finally paid off. Things were looking better than ever and were becoming way more fun to do, even the regular upgrading stuff. I've never been involved this much in the community of a game and this actually feels depressing. It feels like they are just completely nullifying all the time I spend on this game, collecting and upgrading exotics for a variety of playstyles. Now it's literally back to square one.

koryuken

fuck, i bought both expansions after the exotics rebalance. I feel like a dumb shit. Should have waited... i feel less inclined to play this game now.

NeOak

That first reply. Dude nailed it.

You know that in most games with new expansions, your old gear is useless and you have to get new gear and do it all over from scratch, right?

The fact that the exotics can be upgraded is something of a bonus. Needing the exotic shard is a bit too much, but its either this or like every other MMO: GET NEW GEAR.

PSO nuked the old gear when they changed from v1 to v2: You're lv100 and hey, you can get to lv 200 now. Your old gear? Psssshhhhh. Grind bitch.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
They could have easily just made it so you had to spend one exotic shard to reset the last 4 upgrade nodes to the new readjusted damage levels. But hey shitting on everyone is cool too.

You can't look at the vocal majority and assume it's actually the majority though. Many people won't ever take the time to voice their opinions on games like this and of those that do, often times the silent contingent has a very different opinion. Just look at the vocal dissappointment in games like CoD, Battlefield, Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed, etc.. versus their sales as an example of my meaning.

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare community numbers are not good. Battlefield 4 was a disaster that plenty of people complained and DICE responsed. Unity was a buggy mess and Ubi is giving away DLC. Watch Dogs was gold compared to all of those. MCC has incoming rewards for players due to the playlist mess.

NeOak

They could have easily just made it so you had to spend one exotic shard to reset the last 4 upgrade nodes to the new readjusted damage levels. But hey shitting on everyone is cool too.

No, more like people are too used to getting instant gratification.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Why couldn't Xur upgrade a Hawkmoon? If you have an exotic shard and the glimmer, all he does is reset your current exotic right?

Geneijin

I still think there's a possibility resetting the progression on exotic items means old exotics need to be maxed first before the reset option is available. I'm that pessimistic.

X-Frame

Someone in Reddit suggested that the only way our current exotics can be reset and then upgraded again with the higher Attack rating is if we max out the current versions first. I guess sort of like an exotic prestige mode.

I thought it was an interesting suggestion until I realized that any new player getting the game would never take the time to level the same exotic twice and jump right to the DLC ones.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
It's a Playstation exclusive, so it's unclear if it'll show up from Xur to allow us to upgrade to 331 atk.

He has to be selling the exotic you want to upgrade? I didn't realize that was the case. I thought he was just reforging your current weapon. Great.

Arrrammis

Agreed as well. Such high spirits just 48 hours ago and now such a drop. Why did they keep this info under wraps until today?

Probably because they didn't want to give us so much time to brood over it. If they had announced this a few weeks ago, I probably would have pretty much stopped playing, since upgrading my exotics and spending all of that time working to get them to max level is gone with the DLC. Since they announce it now, a lot of people think, "eh, the DLC drops in less than a week, I'll keep playing since it's so close."

CLBridges

So what would a reasonable solution to all this be? Even though I don't like the reset, I understand it.

After reading posts and updates from Bungie, I don't mind the attack power reset (even if it was to 274 or whatever the current base for exotics start). I just wish the solution was "you have to re-upgrade back to max dmg, but all the perks you upgraded will still be there". That's the only thing I wish Bungie would've done, oh well.

Just don't reset our progress when we upgrade it. Add one or two nodes that take a while to get filled in to fully max to the new damage cap. It's that simple really.

But it would have to be enough xp to match the new exotics. I wouldn't really see the difference other than aesthetics. You get to see that your gun is still fully upgraded with one node left that takes a billion years to fill vs seeing a gun that has nothing but takes the same amount of time.

One thing they could do is keep the perks on your gun after the reset. That would make it less painful.

EDIT:
After reading posts and updates from Bungie, I don't mind the attack power reset (even if it was to 274 or whatever the current base for exotics start). I just wish the solution was "you have to re-upgrade back to max dmg, but all the perks you upgraded will still be there". That's the only thing I wish Bungie would've done, oh well.

Lol, yep. Agreed.

Wallach

Why couldn't Xur upgrade a Hawkmoon? If you have an exotic shard and the glimmer, all he does is reset your current exotic right?

Apparently he only upgrades a set random selection of exotics each week, so you'd have to pick it from the menu. His inventory is the same across all platforms, though, so he can't carry the PS exclusive items. Unless this upgrade system splits off and is unique per-platform (which given he was barred from selling the PS exclusive gear before in favor of platform consistency isn't likely) then he won't ever stock the upgrades for them.

Jinjo

So what would a reasonable solution to all this be? Even though I don't like the reset, I understand it.

Give Xur an "overcharge" item that unlocks three extra damage/defense nodes on a selected exotic. Takes xp, destination materials and the final one another exotic shard.
Limited to one overcharge for weapons and one for armor per character per week. (Cause there gotta be some sort of limitation on stuff right, this is Bungie)

Now that I think of it, I have only two fully-upgraded Exotic Weapons (Hawkmoon and Ice Breaker), and each time it felt like it took forever. I didn't quite realize how long the XP grinding actually took. And Bungie wants us to do it again? Wow.

Mindlog

That's not at all what I said. What I said was, you can't expect a game designer to base their progression systems on the smallest aspect of the playerbase. What most do is try to split the difference but people on one side or the other will be angry if you focus solely on one group.

The expectation to have 20 exotics across 3 characters all easily and quickly upgraded isn't reasonable. I'm sure a lot of people would love it. It would help them tear through the new content even more quickly than they already will. But then what happens to them and to the game? Especially as they're the most vocal contingent of a playerbase? "Too easy," "not enough content for the money," etc... They have to balance these things. And what they did to balance it is allow for Exotics to be upgraded at the trade off that they have to be leveled to be fully maxed out. It's not a bad setup at all.
There was nothing quick or easy about maxing those exotics in the first place. Trying to ease complaints about the lack of content by erasing all that progress is an extremely poor solution. I don't see the current conversation as a pleasant alternative to end-game boredom complaints.

Player A had the added benefit of using 300 attack IB before the DLC. I really don't see the big deal, but I only maxed stuff I actually used, and I never felt like I was grinding to get there. I have a solid exotic collection, but most are upgraded to a couple of perks.

So the moral of the story is to enjoy your weapons for the short time between DLCs because you'll inevitably have to grind them all over again? That's fucked up...

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I think if that's the case I'd rather just buy the new exotic for 23 coins or whatever and break down my current version of the gun for an exotic shard.

EDIT: And there is basically no reason to buy a Ballerhorn if its sold this week, unless you want a weak version of the weapon.

Will current Legendary weapons will be useless now?

And as for level 29 characters, we can only buy new Legendary gear when we have ranked up? And is it one piece of gear per level rank?

And and level 30 Nightfall now?

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare community numbers are not good. Battlefield 4 was a disaster that plenty of people complained and DICE responsed. Unity was a buggy mess and Ubi is giving away DLC. Watch Dogs was gold compared to all of those. MCC has incoming rewards for players due to the playlist mess.

I was referring to the vocal reception pre-launch vs. the sales numbers in that example. And while CoD:AW's sales are down compared to previous entries, it's still by and large a more succesfull game than most.

The point is a lot of people complain loudly but they don't always represent the actual feelings of the majority of players so you can't make that assumption off hand.

Arrrammis

No, more like quite a few people have spent hours completely focusing on upgrading these exotics, and suddenly they get to do it all over again. The fact that we spend the time and resources need to upgrade our exotics shows that we don't expect instant gratification, but to be forced to start all over... That's the kind of thing that usually makes people permanently quit games.

I was referring to the vocal reception pre-launch vs. the sales numbers in that example. And while CoD:AW's sales are down compared to previous entries, it's still by and large a more succesfull game than most.

The point is a lot of people complain loudly but they don't always represent the actual feelings of the majority of players so you can't make that assumption off hand.

The important thing is that the vocal group bring about change and rewards.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Shard costs seven coins no? Thats roughly a weekly. Which you can do once a week. They could have reset the last 4 damage nodes and still have had people 'earn' the upgraded damage values. I dont know what your definition of 'instant' is but 3 days worth of bounties hardly seems instant to me.

Someone in Reddit suggested that the only way our current exotics can be reset and then upgraded again with the higher Attack rating is if we max out the current versions first. I guess sort of like an exotic prestige mode.

I thought it was an interesting suggestion until I realized that any new player getting the game would never take the time to level the same exotic twice and jump right to the DLC ones.

I was thinking of that as well. I can't imagine what the backlash will be like on this board if that's the new system, lol

realcZk

What if you find an old exotic via engram, nightfall, raid, etc since the DLC is out? Will it automatically be the version you can upgrade to 331 attack? Or do you still have to wait for Xur to randomly let you make it usable?

I share the sentiment with the majority of you...not looking forward to upgrading my stuff again. That said, it was naive to expect that it would be so straightforward to get your exotic stuff to the top tier of new content. Just not realistic to expect that there would be little effort involved.

My biggest gripe, currently, is that in the excitement of the new progression (buying mats with marks, etc) I dumped a fair amount of time and resources into upgrading my exotic weapons over the past few days. Spent marks, which I could have been saving for TDB Vanguard/Crucible gear. Dismantled some exotics for shards. All to upgrade weapons for what turns out is just a week of use. All to be canceled out if I wish to progress them further.

Knowing this was how it was going to work, this information absolutely should have been relayed to us with the most recent patch. There is no excuse, no sensible reason to have left us in the dark (no pun intended) about this. Just plain bad communication.

Just so you don't feel too disheartened, your marks are worth Jack shit in regards to TDB legendary gear.

A new currency - Crucible/Vanguard commendations will be used for those. You gain those by leveling faction rep.

Jinjo

No it's not, you save 7k glimmer and an exotic shard if you go with TDB version.
Exactly, and an exotic shard is already 7 coins. For armor it's totally worth it. Plus you don't lose your upgraded vanilla Ballarhorn for instance while levelling up the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom