• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider

Quick edit to my earlier rant:

I'm a reasonable guy. If buying the upgrade path resets our weapon but now starts at 302 attack, controversy dispelled. Nothing to see here. That'd be alright. My fear was buying an upgrade path and lowering attack level.

Player A has a fully maxed Ice Breaker (takes hours to get the exp/materials required)
Player B has no upgrades at all on their Ice Breaker.

They both buy the upgrade path and now have the exact same gun.

you don't think that's a problem and there's "nothing to see here" .... ?

It'd be fine if the person with the already maxed Ice Breaker had some kind of accelerated path to maxing it again. but they don't. It's the same grind over.

CLBridges

You get a new version of the same gun or armor with a higher base attack/defense rating than before when you upgrade it.

Ahh, good. Thread is moving so fast and I just glanced over the Bungie dev team notes, thanks. Dang, wish they would just let me have the perks while upgrading attack power though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Level 30 is not required for hard mode VoG, but 300 weapons is. You are severely hurting your team if your weapons are not maxed.
this isn't true :-/ Especially if you are level 30. I don't think you're really arguing that 6 level 30s with every weapon upgraded to node one away from maxed would be "severely handicapped," right?
Yeah, the fact that Xur selling upgraded versions wasn't mentioned by GI or the update that Bungie had to do to clarify how poorly they handled this, but by a tweet 4 hours after.

Completely baseless.
Yeah. Completely baseless; there was absolutely no evidence to conclude what you stated with certainty. You had no concrete basis on which to make that claim, and essentially made it up. Thus the full phrase I used "completely baseless speculation" is fulling accurate.
So, with the first week Xur is selling items. I can either purchase a new upgraded Aclyophage Symbiote for 13(?) coins, or I can do this convoluted upgrade process with the one I already own.

Guess which one I'll choose.
Looking at this all from a pretty twisted perspective. Not everyone owns every exotic; not everyone has coins to buy duplicate exotics with.

Level 30 is not required for hard mode VoG, but 300 weapons is. You are severely hurting your team if your weapons are not maxed.

That's max weapons. The response was directed at someone who was specifically pointing out people not being accepted into raid groups that were Level 29 rather than 30.

realcZk

Xur's upgrade offerings for week one leaked:

LVQyfhw.png

Varvor

May as well just wait till the second one drops and do it all then. Seriously.

Kind of the point, i rather keep my current maxed out galahorn and use it in the raid and accept 5-7 percent damage reduction and trade in my second unlevelled galahorn and work on it. Same logic would dectate of waiting for other exotics to drop and eventualy level them up. Perhaps down the road select few key exotics like arnnaments for titan and level them up.

But real question does this process repeat second time aroumd in march?

Why the fuck bungie just not add additional levelable slot on existing exotic and make it fucking expensive as fuck? Hell ill take 10k glimer and 2 shards for it and 25k experience...but it wont compromise its effectiveness during leveling stage.

Jinjo

Ahh, good. Thread is moving so fast and I just glanced over the Bungie dev team notes, thanks. Dang, wish they would just let me have the perks while upgrading attack power though.

Player A has a fully maxed Ice Breaker (takes hours to get the exp/materials required)

It'd be fine if the person with the already maxed Ice Breaker had some kind of accelerated path to maxing it again. but they don't. It's the same grind over.

Adding more damage bubbles makes too much sense. You still need to level/upgrade but don't lose ALL your progress. It's fair to the people that already upgraded their guns halfway/completely too. No, let's just reset fucking everything. This is really bad news for player progression in Destiny, especially with every new content pack that gets released.

Player A has a maxed Ice Breaker.
Player B has an Ice Breaker with no upgrades at all.

They must go through the exact same grind to get the Ice Breaker to attack 331.

I just can't understand the logic here.

Player A had the added benefit of using 300 attack IB before the DLC. I really don't see the big deal, but I only maxed stuff I actually used, and I never felt like I was grinding to get there. I have a solid exotic collection, but most are upgraded to a couple of perks.

hydruxo

DeeJ just tweeted a link to this thread on bungie.net:

Thoughts and Opinions about The Dark Below weapon upgrade paths. http://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/82106803

That first reply. Dude nailed it.

Deej,

I sincerely believe that making us reset our Exotic upgrades is very disrespectful and insulting. What this means is that you are taking all the time that players have spent on their characters and weapons and telling them they have to start over again. That is not okay and it shows a company that is afraid of people playing less hours more than about players enjoying and investing into the game.

I don't believe we should have to reset our exotic items to get them to level up. I hope this is changed, but I am afraid that the simple fact that this got through the developers and was approved is a sign that Bungie doesn't have a plan for the future and you guys are just coming up with stuff to do week by week.

I am a professional at what I do and if my company made decisions the way Bungie is doing them, we would have been out of business a long time ago.

Don't insult the players and don't waste our time. Don't make us regret the late nights and early mornings we have invested into Destiny. Your priority as a company is to make sure that you make each hour of gaming as fruitful and enjoyable as possible. Not the opposite.

ocean

Banned

Sure, I think it sucks. But as Player A, I wouldn't care too much. Like its a minor gripe at best. After all, I worked to upgrade it but saw the benefits for a long time while the other guy didn't.

Having my progress "reset" sounds worse than it is if you actually start off a little bit better than you were in the first place. Sure, grind to get exotic perks but it's not nearly as bad as going back in attack.

The only instance in which there is a problem is the specific cases of people fully upgrading Exotics within the last week or two in preperation for the Expansion.

Using your examples, if Player A's Ice Breaker was fully maxed out for awhile, then their payoff was having a more effective weapon to use during the current content. That's the entire purpose of leveling weapons and gear fully to begin with. To be more effective in current content.

cilonen

Kind of the point, i rather keep my current maxed out galahorn and use it in the raid and accept 5-7 percent damage reduction and trade in my second unlevelled galahorn and work on it. Same logic would dectate of waiting for other exotics to drop and eventualy level them up. Perhaps down the road select few key exotics like arnnaments for titan and level them up.

But real question does this process repeat second time aroumd in march?

Why the fuck bungie just not add additional levelable slot on existing exotic and make it fucking expensive as fuck? Hell ill take 10k glimer and 2 shards for it and 25k experience...but it wont compromise its effectiveness during leveling stage.

With the exotics, I'll probably do armamentarium and icebreaker and just keep my others (Monte Carlo, PI and Super Good Advice) and only work on any new legendaries I get as stops rather than re-buy the new ones until I see how this will all work in the second expansion.

By the way, I find it sad that Destiny is so lacking in content that the major debates and points of excitement/disappointment are about obtaining items or upgrading them :/ Items shouldn't be an end in itself!

Frenden

Banned
By the way, I find it sad that Destiny is so lacking in content that the major debates and points of excitement/disappointment are about obtaining items or upgrading them :/ Items shouldn't be an end in itself!

That lack of content is the true crux of the issue. Bungie wouldn't have to hold desperately onto progression gates if there was adequate content to keep the player base engaged.

E92 M3

The mood in this thread was so different yesterday. We were actually happy these guys had listened to us with regards to material economy and exotic adjustments and even Raid tweaks. That along with the upcoming DLC had us pumped and excited - the mood here was decidedly positive. More positive than it had been in a good goddamn while.

This shit is just disappointing though. I mean it's cool that they're giving us the option of keeping our Exotics relevant. What they're offering is just ridiculous though. With the amount of XP it takes to upgrade an exotic, notice how only 10% of the player base has done it at all according to PSN trophies.

If 10% of the player base have a single exotic fully upgraded, what minuscule proportion are we? The people who have grinded to hell and back to upgrade multiple stuff - we are the most dedicated players in the community, the loyal crowd who knows damn well the game's misgivings and yet pushes on regardless. And we stand to be disproportionately affected by this weird design which helps no one.

I'd say, honestly, add a node. Make that nose a bitch to upgrade. Have Xur randomly sell some new material (we can never have too many apparently) required to unlock it. Stick an obscene XP requirement. We'll do it. Making us start over though? To actually lose XP and planetary materials and ascendants and so much goddamn time? It's silly and cruel, cmon.

Luckily I don't have that many *fully* upgraded Exotics, only: Suros Regime, Ice Breaker, Truth, Helm of Inmost Light, No Backup Plans, Armamentarium, Sunbreakers, Heart of the Praxis Fire. It still feels crazy to be asked to literally give up so much work.

Agree fully - the mood was stellar before today's news. I think most of us had renewed hope in Destiny's future to only be brought back to the unfortunate reality. I am very curious if there are some kind of internal conflicts at Bungie going on.

Benefiting from a gun for a couple weeks or a month isn't worth doing the whole leveling process over again. Not even close. That process takes way too long.

This is a perspective thing I think. Having a more powerful weapon making it easier to clear content to achieve other goals can be thought of as being worth it to many. To those that didn't have those goals (whether they just didn't care or they already achieved it) it probably isn't.

Eh.. the amount of content in the Expansion has already been debated though. This is the newest information, so it makes sense that it's the point of discussion.

realcZk

I wonder if he's going to legit sell Dragon's Breath.

if he was I wouldn't be too surprised. (this was more a joke at the sunbreakers thing in the picture if you didn't catch it :) ). second week with retail game he was selling gjallarhorn, right? (i cant see dragons breath even coming close to the ballerhorn from what ive seen in previews).

Steroyd

Oh well yeah leveling up an entire hoard is going to be nutso that's not the game that's on you.

Yeah, and I think Bungie would want to have someone who spent a lot of time playing, to keep playing, what happens with the House of Wolves DLC? This move can scare off quite a few people.

Arrrammis

Reddit said:
In addition, the story missions and strikes introduce gameplay mechanics that become important later. For instance, one story mission applies a condition called “A Dark Burden,” which eliminates my guardian’s ability to use their vertical movement mode during a challenging fight – this same mechanic shows up later in a much more dangerous situation. Another story mission battle puts damaging energy circles down on the ground, forcing players to navigate carefully.

Holy cow.

That lack of content is the true crux of the issue. Bungie wouldn't have to hold desperately onto progression gates if there was adequate content to keep the player base engaged.

Every game with vertical progression still has gates regardless of the amount of content it contains. Gates slow progress to allow the developers the time to make more content. The only game I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't gate like this is GW2. However they targeted horizontal progression and found that the only way to keep the players engaged was an accelerated content release schedule. Something that isn't feasibly possible in console games due to manufacturer QA schedules.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So if upgrades are done via Xur, how do you upgrade Hawkmoon or Monte Carlo?
It's a mystery!

Assuming he'll just have them as upgrade options for PS4 users sometimes. but who knows.
Agree fully - the mood was stellar before today's news. I think most of us had renewed hope in Destiny's future to only be brought back to the unfortunate reality. I am very curious if there are some kind of internal conflicts at Bungie going on.
for better or worse, playerbase mood will actually be a sine wave for the entirety of the game's lifespan.

E92 M3

So if upgrades are done via Xur, how do you upgrade Hawkmoon or Monte Carlo?

136149063290.jpg

for better or worse, playerbase mood will actually be a sine wave for the entirety of the game's lifespan.

Does it have to be though? Bungie knows exactly what the general public wants. Of course we won't get everything, but fundamentals can shift. One thing no one asked for is wasted time on upgrading weapons. Or having difficult to obtain raid legendaries become obsolete.

Ghazi

if he was I wouldn't be too surprised. (this was more a joke at the sunbreakers thing in the picture if you didn't catch it :) ). second week with retail game he was selling gjallarhorn, right? (i cant see dragons breath even coming close to the ballerhorn from what ive seen in previews).

I saw 'em and I'm damn glad that I've never owned or wanted them, otherwise I'd be sad lol. I didn't know Xur sold the Gjallar, I wasn't playing then. Was hoping he'd sell it this weekend, thinking that he hasn't sold it yet so the chances would be higher. At least I know now not to get my hopes up.
It's a mystery!

Assuming he'll just have them as upgrade options for PS4 users sometimes. but who knows.

If they can't independently control what platform sells what, I wonder if they'll just say "fuck it" and throw the two up there for both platforms. Considering you need the weapon, it's not like someone can waste mats and glimmer on it on the One. Only downside is that it's two less items for Xbox One users to have chances at upgrading.

Agreed as well. Such high spirits just 48 hours ago and now such a drop. Why did they keep this info under wraps until today?

Look at all the negativity. It clearly isn't worth it to many.

You can't look at the vocal majority and assume it's actually the majority though. Many people won't ever take the time to voice their opinions on games like this and of those that do, often times the silent contingent has a very different opinion. Just look at the vocal dissappointment in games like CoD, Battlefield, Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed, etc.. versus their sales as an example of my meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom