• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghazi

I was just playing the daily and decided to play with my max suros even though I wanted to play with my TLW because of this reset situation -_-

Probably won't bother leveling anything, got a ton of bounties to turn and I can't even care enough to level anything up.

Coconut

Banned
Yeah, and I think Bungie would want to have someone who spent a lot of time playing, to keep playing, what happens with the House of Wolves DLC? This move can scare off quite a few people.

If they really wanted that they would have added more gear and more areas in this update.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
To upgrade a current exotic, you'll need 2 exotic shards. Or buy a new one and upgrade with one exotic shard, and you'll get that by breaking down the old weapon. It seems obvious the second method is easily best provided you have the coins.

BondFancy

*sighs* Bungie continues to punish their hardcore fans that have stuck with them through all the countless bs...how am I not surprised by this move.

shem935

Banned
To upgrade a current exotic, you'll need 2 exotic shards. Or buy a new one and upgrade with one exotic shard, and you'll get that by breaking down the old weapon. It seems obvious the second method is easily best provided you have the coins.

One costs me 14 coins the other costs me between 20 and 30 coins. The math works out better on 2 shards.

CLBridges

It is absurd they added all this and didn't increase caps on any of the marks, glimmer etc.

I have to agree on this. Honestly, I think glimmer cap should be at least 100k and double the mark cap (and vault space at that). Also, one thing I didn't think about is on top of grinding out the current vendors again for commendations, Eris will be another vendor to grind lol. Shit just got even realer.

There was nothing quick or easy about maxing those exotics in the first place. Trying to ease complaints about the lack of content by erasing all that progress is an extremely poor solution. I don't see the current conversation as a pleasant alternative to end-game boredom complaints.

This is a fair stance. I don't think the goal is to ease complaints so much as to elongate the path to the goal. At the end of the day, people will still end up clearing the Raid day 1 for example. But there will still be things to actually do. If there were no slowing of vertical progression though, people would legitimately burn through everything and not have any goals left to achieve.

I just don't know that there's a realistic alternative given how quickly a games playerbase burns through a game. Even arena shooters have instituted versions of vertical progression in an attempt to keep more people engaged for longer. The unfortunate fact is that it takes a long time to develop content, QA content internally, then pass individual console QA to get it out to the players. And throwing more money or people at it doesn't necessarily speed that process up. So it ends up being rough for Devs and for Players. Devs struggle to get stuff out quickly, and it usually still has some kind of bugs or exploits and players feel unsatisfied with the end product due to smaller sizes and bugs.

Wallach

The biggest clusterfuck is yet to come, too, when not everyone gets to take advantage of the week 1 or week 2 upgrade options at all because their weapon isn't offered.

You can't save decisions like this in messaging. Should have never gotten this far.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
One costs me 14 coins the other costs me between 20 and 30 coins. The math works out better on 2 shards.

One costs you 7 coins and an exotic shard. The other costs you either 17 coins or 23 coins and no extra exotic shards. I'd rather use more coins than 2 exotic shards.

Hi, would anybody be kind enough to help me with the Xyor part of the thorn bounty? Silly me for thinking because I have a level 29 character that I had a chance to solo this.

I'm on ps4 and am playing right now and will be playing for the next few hours. I've been soloing the game the whole time with the exception of playing with randoms on the strike playlists so I have no clue how to invite somebody to do this, so I guess I'll just monitor this thread.

my tag is the same as my gaf username. Thank you in advance.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One costs you 7 coins and an exotic shard. The other costs you either 17 coins or 23 coins and no extra exotic shards. I'd rather use more coins than 2 exotic shards.
What? You can buy shards for 7 coins, so it works out to be 14 coins if use break down an old exotic.

Maledict

You know that in most games with new expansions, your old gear is useless and you have to get new gear and do it all over from scratch, right?

The fact that the exotics can be upgraded is something of a bonus. Needing the exotic shard is a bit too much, but its either this or like every other MMO: GET NEW GEAR.

PSO nuked the old gear when they changed from v1 to v2: You're lv100 and hey, you can get to lv 200 now. Your old gear? Psssshhhhh. Grind bitch.

This is a totally inaccurate comparison.

New expansions don't happen every 3 months for normal MMOs. Try resetting the gear in this way in wow and see how much people love you.

Also, and the bigger more important point - gear in destiny is not like gear in other mmo's. In wow, or rift, or secret world, or Tera, my weapon dos is my weapons dps. All I care about is whether it does more damage. In destiny, I also care about a whole host of other factors that go into weapons (firing speed, stability, magazine size, elemental damage) - destiny HAS to have an upgrade system for this stuff because otherwise there simply won't be enough weapons to offer a choice (and we know the expansion is not coming with a full set of replacement exotics).

Bungie aren't doijg us a favour with upgrades - their game requires it. Well, that or a huge amount of additional content and we know that isn't happening.

Kaiken

Banned
This is all going according to plan. Making us grind endless hours to keep up. Part 2 will make things easy for the wealthy by using the Pay to Win model.

nowai

I still think there's a possibility resetting the progression on exotic items means old exotics need to be maxed first before the reset option is available. I'm that pessimistic.

I think this is EXACTLY what will happen.

I would not be surprised at all if Xur would only allow maxed exotics to be upgraded.

Arrrammis

You can buy shards directly from Xur for 7 coins each, making the upgrade path cheaper no matter how you slice it. The only difficulty comes from seeing that exp bar completely empty itself.

The important thing is that the vocal group bring about change and rewards.

Change, yes. Rewards, not always. There have been plenty of games that were destroyed by Devs caving to the vocal demands of the playerbase. This is especially true regarding balance but has also happened with systems in games as well. It's kind of a toss up in terms of whether the demanded changes actually improve things in MP games like this.

PepperedHam

So reading about these new legendaries that will be popping up in the Tower to purchase, I assume these will serve as catch up for people to get up to 30 who have not done VoG?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
This new economy really favors those with 3 characters. I don't have the time for that. It also sucks all my raid weapons will be outclassed.

Rainmaker

Banned
I can't do all of that leveling again on weapons I spent so much time leveling up already. I don't have the time. Barely had the time to do what I did. Hate to quit this game especially after all I put into it but this makes me feel like hanging it up. I was really happy after the last two patches too and really like some of the upcoming changes but resetting is too much for me. Such a shame.

stb

1) stb (Berried_treasurE) - 29/Titan
2) stb's pal (Capt_Greene) - 29/Warlock
3)
4)
5)
6)

Please quote and add yourself, PSN tag, and level/class.

ocean

Banned
Now that Exotic Shards are a thing you'll basically need 3 high level characters. Doing Weekly on each for 27 Coins is enough to buy every week's weapon + its corresponding Shard for the eventual upgrade (except Primaries but let's average it out).

If you only have one or two characters you won't be getting enough coins to keep up with purchases and upgrades. Unless the new level 30 Heroics yield more coins, which would make sense.

So reading about these new legendaries that will be popping up in the Tower to purchase, I assume these will serve as catch up for people to get up to 30 who have not done VoG?

I am seriously worried that even level 30s will feel the difficult of the content and have to result to getting that gear to get to 31. How things have been going grind wise, I believe it.

This is a totally inaccurate comparison.

New expansions don't happen every 3 months for normal MMOs. Try resetting the gear in this way in wow and see how much people love you.

Also, and the bigger more important point - gear in destiny is not like gear in other mmo's. In wow, or rift, or secret world, or Tera, my weapon dos is my weapons dps. All I care about is whether it does more damage. In destiny, I also care about a whole host of other factors that go into weapons (firing speed, stability, magazine size, elemental damage) - destiny HAS to have an upgrade system for this stuff because otherwise there simply won't be enough weapons to offer a choice (and we know the expansion is not coming with a full set of replacement exotics).

Bungie aren't doijg us a favour with upgrades - their game requires it. Well, that or a huge amount of additional content and we know that isn't happening.

True that MMO expansion don't tend to come as quickly but they also tend to have a longer treadmill.

And people were PISSED when The Burning Crusade came out and their Tier gear was made worthless within the first two levels of the expansion. They don't complain now because most of them either got used to it or the system was already in place when t hey started playing the game, so it's all they know.

Blizz also went the route of transmog (basically putting old gear skins on new gear) but you don't get the specific bonuses from the old gear either. I seem to recall they input a system to make old Legendaries relevant again but I'm not certain on that. I could be completely wrong there.

Well, because you raided with a Guild, everyone ran DKP (dragon point system). Essentially, it was the ghetto version of raid tokens. So at some point, assuming your item dropped, you knew you'd get a shot as long as someone didnt ninja it :)

EVE Online was my favorite full blown MMO. Basically it is the only true mmo in my eyes (that I played) since it actually supported hundreds of players participating in pvp in the same sector. Yeah, game would slowdown and I zoomed out on my ship. But anyway, that's just my opinion
you might like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2X1MIR1KMs

shem935

Banned
I was all set to raid tonight to try to get my titan ready for Crota. Makes me wonder whether I should give a shit anymore.

How will they handle Iron Banner now? Each time they roll it out, the older gear is now outdated.

By having 2 of them. 1st version of IB is messing around aka your stats/level wont matter and the 2nd version of IB, 3 levels within range, your stats/level wont matter as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom