• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Now that Exotic Shards are a thing you'll basically need 3 high level characters. Doing Weekly on each for 27 Coins is enough to buy every week's weapon + its corresponding Shard for the eventual upgrade (except Primaries but let's average it out).

If you only have one or two characters you won't be getting enough coins to keep up with purchases and upgrades. Unless the new level 30 Heroics yield more coins, which would make sense.

It's true. I can't do the 3 characters thing.

NeOak

Shard costs seven coins no? Thats roughly a weekly. Which you can do once a week. They could have reset the last 4 damage nodes and still have had people 'earn' the upgraded damage values. I dont know what your definition of 'instant' is but 3 days worth of bounties hardly seems instant to me.

What people seem to want is to just trade in the old exotic and get a fully leveled one instantly. That's the instant gratification.

And I do know how much it takes to level exotics. Fuck, I have 8 maxed and 3 more with full exp that i haven't bothered to level due to the old Ascendant mats requirement. And that is just for the Hunter.

No it's not, you save 7k glimmer and an exotic shard if you go with TDB version.

If you can spare the coins, indeed.

This is a totally inaccurate comparison.

New expansions don't happen every 3 months for normal MMOs. Try resetting the gear in this way in wow and see how much people love you.

Also, and the bigger more important point - gear in destiny is not like gear in other mmo's. In wow, or rift, or secret world, or Tera, my weapon dos is my weapons dps. All I care about is whether it does more damage. In destiny, I also care about a whole host of other factors that go into weapons (firing speed, stability, magazine size, elemental damage) - destiny HAS to have an upgrade system for this stuff because otherwise there simply won't be enough weapons to offer a choice (and we know the expansion is not coming with a full set of replacement exotics).

Bungie aren't doijg us a favour with upgrades - their game requires it. Well, that or a huge amount of additional content and we know that isn't happening.

Bungie calls this an expansion. This is more comparable to a patch from WoW. You know, the ones that were released every 3 months and gave new gear from the newer raid instances. No need to upgrade those though. TERA did have this bullshit which meant a bit higher heal/dps/defense but you still had to remasterwork and reenchant the stuff. How many people do it?

Just weapon DPS? What about the perks? Those count and as far as i remember, newer weapons could be shit due to bad perks. Happened in TERA.

Had Bungie said that the old exotics would be non upgradeable and you would have to get them again from Xur at full price, people would have bitched anyway. Given an option, people bitch anyway.

What I do agree on is that the price for upgrading is too much. 7 coins plus the old gear plus 7k? Fuck no.

How will they handle Iron Banner now? Each time they roll it out, the older gear is now outdated.

If the last IB is any indication, the system allows you to work towards Raid Level gear within IB. It will be hard going against those with the higher gear, but you should be able to earn gear through it eventually. However does that work with people who haven't bought the expansion or not?

purg3

slept with Malkin
It's true. I can't do the 3 characters thing.

Just make another character of the same class and swap gear. I have 2 Titans and a low level Warlock. I think I'm going to scrap the Warlock and roll with 3 Titans for the expansion at first.

Strider

What people seem to want is to just trade in the old exotic and get a fully leveled one instantly. That's the instant gratification.

Nah that's not true. At least not in My case. But I don't want the process to be as long as the first time either. There needs to be a good balance.

Deku Tree

Wait... So if I get an exotic say from nightfall next week after I get the expansion will it require a further upgrade from Xur to get its max stats? What about the exotics that Xur sells after TDB hits? Do they also require a further Xur upgrade or not?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Just make another character of the same class and swap gear. I have 2 Titans and a low level Warlock. I think I'm going to scrap the Warlock and roll with 3 Titans for the expansion at first.

I don't think I can go through those story missions again, or play crucible until I hit level 20 with two more characters. I play games to have fun.

Jinjo

Wait... So if I get an exotic say from nightfall next week after I get the expansion will it require a further upgrade from Xur to get its max stats? What about the exotics that Xur sells after TDB hits? Do they also require a further Xur upgrade or not?

The ones Xur sell will be the upgraded versions already (Deej confirmed on twitter). Nobody knows for sure about the ones that drop. But I'd imagine they'd be the upgraded ones too.

Coconut

Banned

It would seem that only currently held Exotics will need this new nuttiness. At least that's what I got from the Gi article.

stb

re-posting for new page:

Normal Raid - 7pm Eastern - PS4

1) stb (Berried_treasurE) - 29/Titan
2) stb's pal (Capt_Greene) - 29/Warlock
3)
4)
5)
6)

Please quote and add yourself, PSN tag, and level/class.

CREMSteve

It sounds like every Exotic will have two versions, standard and elite.

You can roll with standard and be perfectly happy.

Or you can pay Xur for the elite edition.

Deku Tree

The ones Xur sell will be the upgraded versions already (Deej confirmed on twitter). Nobody knows for sure about the ones that drop. But I'd imagine they'd be the upgraded ones too.

Thanks!

Also... So does the nightfall next week go to level 30? If so that stinks for all you #Forever29's... Bungie should at least let it wait a week...

So I guess we can expect this kind of a treadmill reset button with every new expansion? Bungie really doesn't know how to do an massive online shooter RPG...

purg3

slept with Malkin
I don't think I can go through those story missions again, or play crucible until I hit level 20 with two more characters. I play games to have fun.

Ah, yeah it's a bit of a chore but you can easily get a character up to 20 in about 6 hours

cilonen

Bungie calls this an expansion. This is more comparable to a patch from WoW. You know, the ones that were released every 3 months and gave new gear from the newer raid instances. No need to upgrade those though. TERA did have this bullshit which meant a bit higher heal/dps/defense but you still had to remasterwork and reenchant the stuff. How many people do it?

I just got flashbacks from thinking about masterworking gear...... It's like a cheesy Vietnam war film... "You don't know man... You weren't there!"

Exotics I'm OK with TBH after going through TERA, it's the new commendation system to slow the accumulation of legendaries I'm pissed with. I was already a little salty with the public event random timing changes which means I get far less marks per week than I used to.

Deku Tree

I think Bungie is holding back the hard raid until all the cheese comes out. Thy realize that they stink at finding cheese strate themselves so they let the normal raid out of the bag for 3-7 weeks and watch YouTube for all the latest cheese strategies and then they remove them before the hard raid comes out. Hard CE raid will be lactose intolerant.

re-posting for new page:

Normal Raid - 7pm Eastern - PS4

1) stb (Berried_treasurE) - 29/Titan
2) stb's pal (Capt_Greene) - 29/Warlock
3) grimlock33 - 28/Titan
4)
5)
6)

Please quote and add yourself, PSN tag, and level/class.

I'll bring my new defender Titan.

NeOak

I'm drowning in coins, I don't have to farm for them anymore, unlike glimmer. If Xur is selling the new version of an exotic I'm buying it instead, fuck spending 7k glimmer.

Funny how before it was shards and energy. Now it's glimmer ;-;

mcfizzle4

People don't want instant gratification and an instantly fully leveled exotic. They want to do the exotic upgrade and have the tree progress continue from where they left off, whether fully or partially upgraded.

Coconut

Banned
Looking for some folks to do the weeklies in a couple hours. hit me up here with you PSN thing and we'll get this shiz going. please have a mic.

CREMSteve

I'd like to run a Hard Raid tonight after I get home. Thinking 11pm eastern. Anyone need a Titan30 with plenty of experience and gear on PS4?

RoKKeR

Finally got to Vanguard Rank 2, bought my second Legendary item and am now up to 24. Awesome! I have escaped the shitty 21/22 black hole of leveling!

Only 1 Vanguard mark left.

Too bad that now when I'm getting back into the game they introduce this bullshit commendation system even further limiting leveling and creating a grind... and for what purpose?

Pretty damn annoyed about that but at least I will soon be able to play with my higher leveled friends.

phen0m24

(silly rant incoming)

A column of bubbles. That's all they needed.

(in a meeting somewhere in Bungie's bowels)

"Hey, so what do we do with the old exotics? Should we let players upgrade them? What would that take?"

"We could code in another column of bubbles. Then they could just upgrade them for level 30+ and max damage."

"Yeah, but then they won't want the new exotics."

"True, but we could make the new exotics with better perks. Then they will want them instead."

"Yeah, do that. Make the new exotics with new perks. Nah, scrap that. Leave the perks the same. Who cares. The skins are different, at least."

"What about the old exotics?"

"Who cares? Erase all their progress! Make them grind all over again! They'll do it anyway! Mwahahahahaha!"

"But Alderaan is a peaceful planet!"

(cue up the Death Star)

Bingo.

Seems like the most blindingly obvious solution there is, but then again I'm not in the mindset of the Bungie devs who are desperately trying to figure out a way to keep people playing their content-barren game.

That's the key right there. Shit don't make any sense until you look at it from that perspective. 3 story missions, a strike and a raid is not enough to keep people playing for a couple of months until their next "expansion" is released so they have to make what appear to be stupid design choices to keep people locked in a cycle of constant grinding

Just so you don't feel too disheartened, your marks are worth Jack shit in regards to TDB legendary gear.

A new currency - Crucible/Vanguard commendations will be used for those. You gain those by leveling faction rep.

I don't think that't the case. Pretty sure they said that the gear costs marks, AND you have to have a commendation. This gates us from banking marks this week and getting too much sick loot too quickly.

I don't think that't the case. Pretty sure they said that the gear costs marks, AND you have to have a commendation. This gates us from banking marks this week and getting too much sick loot too quickly.

Correct. My FWC vendor glitched and said I needed 1 Commendation and the regular amount of marks to buy the helmet and the torso

(silly rant incoming)

A column of bubbles. That's all they needed.

(in a meeting somewhere in Bungie's bowels)

"Hey, so what do we do with the old exotics? Should we let players upgrade them? What would that take?"

"We could code in another column of bubbles. Then they could just upgrade them for level 30+ and max damage."

"Yeah, but then they won't want the new exotics."

"True, but we could make the new exotics with better perks. Then they will want them instead."

"Yeah, do that. Make the new exotics with new perks. Nah, scrap that. Leave the perks the same. Who cares. The skins are different, at least."

"What about the old exotics?"

"Who cares? Erase all their progress! Make them grind all over again! They'll do it anyway! Mwahahahahaha!"

"But Alderaan is a peaceful planet!"

(cue up the Death Star)
what about my raid weapons :( fatebringer can't be left behind! Plus I dislike the designs of the new raid weapons..

I've got a few exotic bounties to complete, I'm hoping if I hold off on the final step of turning them in until next week I get a non-gimped exotic version.

Maybe there will be a new step in the exotic bounties to get the upgraded exotic version, like lukems comes to my house and spits in my face and I give him 5 bucks.

So many questions. Do I even level my newly acquired Gjallarhorn or just wait until next week?

I got one last night and I hate having to wait to level it up. And what if Xur doesn't have whatever is needed to level it past 300? I might just say fuck it and level it anyways

I think Bungie is holding back the hard raid until all the cheese comes out. Thy realize that they stink at finding cheese strate themselves so they let the normal raid out of the bag for 3-7 weeks and watch YouTube for all the latest cheese strategies and then they remove them before the hard raid comes out. Hard CE raid will be lactose intolerant.

Seems about right. Why pay for play testing anymore?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
what about my raid weapons :( fatebringer can't be left behind! Plus I dislike the designs of the new raid weapons..
Even though ascendant materials will be able to upgrade new non-raid and vendor legendaries with better stats, I won't be dismantling any of my favorites, and that includes fatebringer even though I don't have it yet :X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom