• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREMSteve

That's the key right there. Shit don't make any sense until you look at it from that perspective. 3 story missions, a strike and a raid is not enough to keep people playing for a couple of months until their next "expansion" is released so they have to make what appear to be stupid design choices to keep people locked in a cycle of constant grinding
What you call grinding, I call playing the game.

It's no different than playing Call of Duty online and playing the same maps over and over, shooting faceless people over and over.

There really is no difference. At least in Destiny I can throw some sort of variety into the equation.

My only real complaint with the game so far, is the weekly reset. I hate that I can only get rewards from these activities once a week. It's stupid. At least make the chests attainable over and over, give me some incentive outside of helping other people.

Other than that, I love every minute of it but I can see why it's not or everyone. Just like CoD isn't for me.

Bogeypop

re-posting for new page:

Normal Raid - 7pm Eastern - PS4

1) stb (Berried_treasurE) - 29/Titan
2) stb's pal (Capt_Greene) - 29/Warlock
3) grimlock33 - 28/Titan
4) Ourobolus - 28 Warlock
5) Rhadamanthus ( PSN: drassill) - 26/Warlock
6)

Please quote and add yourself, PSN tag, and level/class.

Should probably friend request me now or something and see if PSN isn't messed up like yesterday.

EDIT: Also, it's my first time doing the raid

NeOak

How will they handle Iron Banner now? Each time they roll it out, the older gear is now outdated.

I guess that is why the rank is reset every time it happens. Gear with higher stats come along.

I just got flashbacks from thinking about masterworking gear...... It's like a cheesy Vietnam war film... "You don't know man... You weren't there!"

Exotics I'm OK with TBH after going through TERA, it's the new commendation system to slow the accumulation of legendaries I'm pissed with. I was already a little salty with the public event random timing changes which means I get far less marks per week than I used to.

LOL they actually fixed a lot of how to do that.

Even though ascendant materials will be able to upgrade new non-raid and vendor legendaries with better stats, I won't be dismantling any of my favorites, and that includes fatebringer even though I don't have it yet :X
It's such a great weapon too. Well I guess the primary raid weapons will still be useful due to thier elemental features.. Till the new primary raid weapons are obtainable.

phen0m24

what about my raid weapons :( fatebringer can't be left behind! Plus I dislike the designs of the new raid weapons..

I'm with you, Sensei. I'm calling you Sensei based on your ninja-skills in the Maze.

Just add bubbles to ALL THE GUNS.

ALL.

THE.

GUNS.

I still want an Ice Breaker. Had to throw that in there.

Coconut

Banned

It's no different than playing Call of Duty online and playing the same maps over and over, shooting faceless people over and over.

There really is no difference. At least in Destiny I can throw some sort of variety into the equation.

My only real complaint with the game so far, is the weekly reset. I hate that I can only get rewards from these activities once a week. It's stupid. At least make the chests attainable over and over, give me some incentive outside of helping other people.

Other than that, I love every minute of it but I can see why it's not or everyone. Just like CoD isn't for me.

the difference is one is an MMO with a competitive component and the other is competitive FPS that relies on it's consistency in gameplay.

I will just wait for Iron Banner to return and hope that Chest and Helmet become available, and I will settle with that and not bother getting any other Legendary Level 30 Armor and tack on either an Exotic Helmet or Chest and say fuck you to the rest.

chippy13

Well, even with the changes announced today I'm still pumped for the Dark Below, maybe even to an unhealthy level.

AfuVC1K.jpg

Nodnol

Is it wishful thinking to assume Bungie are reassessing this decision regarding Exotics?

Why ask the community what they think? Why not spin it, shut up shop and continue to pump out TDW PR?

They NEED to change it.

Old Legendaries becoming obsolete only effects the HM TDB, correct?

So all they have to do, IMHO, is make it so you have to pay Xur to open up the last bubble or two. No reset, but there's still a level of grind maintained. Best of both worlds. Bungie get to stretch their content more, and countless hours spent leveling weren't a waste.

I don't see it as the same thing. One is playing the same enemies in the same locations over and over and the other is playing against human beings. It's completely different.

And yes it sucks that you only get one chance at good loot per week and that is mainly because the loot table isn't large enough to accommodate anything more than that. In Diablo you can do as many rifts as you want as long as you do your bounties but Destiny is clearly different

Deku Tree

If the CE raid is not totally fantastic then I might be done with Destiny.
Not interested in playing a RPG shooter that just resets you progress every 3-4 months.

I don't see it as the same thing. One is playing the same enemies in the same locations over and over and the other is playing against human beings. It's completely different.

And yes it sucks that you only get one chance at good loot per week and that is mainly because the loot table isn't large enough to accommodate anything more than that. In Diablo you can do as many rifts as you want as long as you do your bounties but Destiny is clearly different

Funny you bring this up. You would think that Bungie and this is entirely bullshit armchair speculation... would contact Blizzard and ask them "Gee you do WoW so well and you screwed up badly on Diablo 3 but fixed it to where its not even the same game and everyone loves it... What do we do with our loot?"

A lot of us are as well. Its just a slap to the face and we like to complain.

But we are not complaining for no reason. It's poor design period. I have no incentive to level a weapon I think is fun to use but is not essential. Hard Light is a lot of fun but why would I spend so much time leveling it when I know I will have to start all over again when The House of Wolves comes out? It's just dumb.

All this hoopla makes me wonder if I should even open up the game on Christmas or exchange it for something else. I recently checked out gameplay footage for the first time, and it looks incredibly fun, but I'm not sure I want to commit to an endless grindfest. I've been on the hamster wheel quite a bit this year with Diablo 3 and Marvel Heroes...

Coconut

Banned
Is it wishful thinking to assume Bungie are reassessing this decision regarding Exotics?

Why ask the community what they think? Why not spin it, shut up shop and continue to pump out TDW PR?

They NEED to change it.

Old Legendaries becoming obsolete only effects the HM TDB, correct?

So all they have to do, IMHO, is make it so you have to pay Xur to open up the last bubble or two. No reset, but there's still a level of grind maintained. Best of both worlds. Bungie get to stretch their content more, and countless hours spent leveling weren't a waste.

maybe it's to avoid hacking the weapons so they burn the pervious code for the weapon and give you the new one so people can't fuck with the old ones?

So lets all occupy the tower man

Lets have a mass sit out!!!!!

Lets do it!
I know you are joking but tons of poeple dancing would make more a statement. in that it might break the server.

patchday

um no. Everyone is even in CoD. In Destiny, a L30 was much more effective in the hard raid then a L29. Like 20% more effective
In CoD, I was never forced to ride around in a loop like a farmer to gather mats
In CoD, one does not have to hang all their hopes on RNG to be able to see the content.

The list just goes on and on.... Destiny is nothing like CoD. I see this argument all the time and it is always incorrect

todd360

I have to grind my favorite exotics again? daaaaaaaa faq? Are there like new people at bungie who are scared shitless that we will trade there game in if we run out of things to do? The grind is real.

I'm with you, Sensei. I'm calling you Sensei based on your ninja-skills in the Maze.

ALL.

THE.

GUNS.

Haha fair enough, if there was trading I give you my spare IB. Still gonna wait and actually see what the dlc brings on Tuesday. Maybe I am just too optimistic..
settjng myself up for disappointment

Strider

Funny you bring this up. You would think that Bungie and this is entirely bullshit armchair speculation... would contact Blizzard and ask them "Gee you do WoW so well and you screwed up badly on Diablo 3 but fixed it to where its not even the same game and everyone loves it... What do we do with our loot?"

Diablo fixed it's loot by making it drop much more often (made the game less grindy) and making it a 99% chance the loot is for the class you are currently playing. That's pretty much it. That's really all there is to it lol

All this hoopla makes me wonder if I should even open up the game on Christmas or exchange it for something else. I recently checked out gameplay footage for the first time, and it looks incredibly fun, but I'm not sure I want to commit to an endless grindfest. I've been on the hamster wheel quite a bit this year with Diablo 3 and Marvel Heroes...

It's still a lot of fun especially when you meet good people and have fun playing with them. The grinding is there though and is very repetitive

And up until today most of us thought they were on the right path

Stillmatic

Sounds like a good update to me. But regarding Exotics, I didn't expect them to automatically upgrade them to the new max, but completely resetting them is a bit rough. They should keep them at the level you've invested into them, with a few more upgrade nodes at the end of the upgrade tree to level up beyond the current max.

ALL.

THE.

GUNS.

NO, there are already enough bubbles, and what happens after DLC II? More bubbles? Make the Gunsmith useful and let him rework the base gun level to 302 and have the last three bubbles unleveled. Leveling those will bring you up to 320, or whatever the max is for 32 content.

The more I've been thinking about it, the more idiotic this all seems. I mean, why would I now bother doing this huge grind to level up my exotics again when I'd just have to do it all over again in three months for the next expansion. It's a shitty precedent to set.

Mindlog

Does it have to be though? Bungie knows exactly what the general public wants. Of course we won't get everything, but fundamentals can shift. One thing no one asked for is wasted time on upgrading weapons. Or having difficult to obtain raid legendaries become obsolete.
Nope.
Hey new free DLC.
Frequent balance changes! Many of you hate these, but you know they make the game better.
Hey, here's an interesting weekend challenge that's not just an XP grind. Free loot crate for achieving community goals.
More packs to buy and expensive top end loot :( So we're going to increase the number of credits you earn per match. :D
3UBACN8.png

It's a thing of wonder that such a small piece of software can feel so much bigger and inviting than a full retail release. For a second Destiny managed to capture that feel. The new economy made upgrading feel less like a chore and more like a great chance to use end-game weaponry. Players were excited about the new piece of content coming soon. Anyone up for Glacier speed runs to prepare?

Now it just feels like ME3's single player ending. Bleh.

stb

I'll bring my new defender Titan.

Should probably friend request me now or something and see if PSN isn't messed up like yesterday.

EDIT: Also, it's my first time doing the raid

Great, I'll add you all.

Still need one more!

3) grimlock33 - 28/Titan
6)

Strider

NO, there are already enough bubbles, and what happens after DLC II? More bubbles? Make the Gunsmith useful and let him rework the base gun level to 302 and have the last three bubbles unleveled. Leveling those will bring you up to 320, or whatever the max is for 32 content.

Perfect. Yea something like this is what is best IMO. It also solves the fact gunsmith is only good for rare fusion rifles lol

Um NO. You and I man, Christmas we are doing this. We are going to suffer like everyone else and it will be fun in the long run.

Oh and I need to update my books and movies, thanks for reminding me.

Man I'm really put off upgrading anymore of my exotics now any further because I'm actually going to have to upgrade them again next week. But from scratch. I'm not sure how any of this is a good idea. It doesn't reward people who've put so much time into the game... the games biggest fans in other words. Bit deflating if this all really is the case. If an exotic has been fully upgraded, there should be less of a grind to upgrade it again compared to someone who's not initially upgraded it at all.

Nodnol

maybe it's to avoid hacking the weapons so they burn the pervious code for the weapon and give you the new one so people can't fuck with the old ones?

I know you are joking but tons of poeple dancing would make more a statement. in that it might break the server.

So code it that only fully leveled weapons can be traded in, but in return you get a weapon leveled up to where you were before, but with new bubbles to fill.

Same result. Anyone who hasn't fully leveled an Exotic isn't missing out because they'd still have to level up to a certain point anyway using what I suggest. Those that have, don't lose anything,

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
What's the quickest way to level up a new character? If it goes fast enough, I might consider it for a guaranteed 27 coins each week. It's the only way.

Zakalwe

Banned
That's a bit much
It doesn't get rid of all your gear or Reputation

It's one of the most un-fun ways they could have done this.

The post you replied to may have been slight hyperbole in a literal sense but it won't /feel/ much different.

Terrible design, no question.

Great, I'll add you all.

Still need one more!

3) grimlock33 - 28/Titan
6)

I'll join. PSN: captscience 28 warlock

X-Frame

This makes too much sense, therefore Bungie will never do it.

spyder_ur

Great, I'll add you all.

Still need one more!

3) grimlock33 - 28/Titan
6)

I'll roll. Spyder_ur (we're friends I think). Might roll with my 28 hunter. Upgraded weapons. Need 10 mins or so tho.

I am 100% serious. This could be the biggest thing to hit the net in years!!

Lets organize a mass sit out at the tower. Everyone.

Strider

What's the quickest way to level up a new character? If it goes fast enough, I might consider it for a guaranteed 27 coins each week. It's the only way.

Do all the bounties and story missions on hard. I have 2 characters and I remember it taking about 7 hours 2 hit level 20 on the 2nd one this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom