• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

purg3

slept with Malkin
What's the quickest way to level up a new character? If it goes fast enough, I might consider it for a guaranteed 27 coins each week. It's the only way.

Story mode with bounty's along the way. I believe there was a guide, if I find it I'll link it here for you. But like I sad before you are looking at ~6hrs roughly. Give or take depending on how fast you are and bounties.

Here's the guide
http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2jro9l/fast_leveling_guide/

phen0m24

NO, there are already enough bubbles, and what happens after DLC II? More bubbles? Make the Gunsmith useful and let him rework the base gun level to 302 and have the last three bubbles unleveled. Leveling those will bring you up to 320, or whatever the max is for 32 content.

Hudson, what I'm saying is add a column. To get to level 3(whatever).

So like I have Gjallahorn. It is 300.

I open up Destiny on Tuesday night and it now has one column of empty bubbles on the far right, which will let me upgrade it to level 360 (or whatever it is).

I don't have to spend coins. I don't have to spend marks. I don't have to sacrifice my first born.

I just have to grind with it like I normally do, playing NF's raiding or whatever.

The new weapons, if offering different attributes, will lead me to replacing old shiny ones. But my old shiny one shouldn't require me to put in another 24+ hours to get it where it already was (just to reach a new damage plateau). That's all.

I still love the game. I already bought the season pass. I will play it. I just hate doing things twice. And three times. Etc.

What's the quickest way to level up a new character? If it goes fast enough, I might consider it for a guaranteed 27 coins each week. It's the only way.

Bounties and story missions. Some play harder missions but I found running the easy ones and bounties got me through it just fine.

Yes harder missions give more xp but they also take longer to run.

What you call grinding, I call playing the game.

It's no different than playing Call of Duty online and playing the same maps over and over, shooting faceless people over and over.

There really is no difference. At least in Destiny I can throw some sort of variety into the equation.

My only real complaint with the game so far, is the weekly reset. I hate that I can only get rewards from these activities once a week. It's stupid. At least make the chests attainable over and over, give me some incentive outside of helping other people.

Other than that, I love every minute of it but I can see why it's not or everyone. Just like CoD isn't for me.
Gonna have to disagree with you there. There's a HUGE difference.

Coconut

Banned
So code it that only fully leveled weapons can be traded in, but in return you get a weapon leveled up to where you were before, but with new bubbles to fill.

Same result. Anyone who hasn't fully leveled an Exotic isn't missing out because they'd still have to level up to a certain point anyway using what I suggest. Those that have, don't lose anything,

And it could infact be that way.

stb

I'll join. PSN: captscience 28 warlock

great; adding you now

I'll roll. Spyder_ur (we're friends I think). Might roll with my 28 hunter. Upgraded weapons. Need 10 mins or so tho.

Sorry, captscience just beat you. I'll send invite if someone no-shows.

Final roster:
Normal Raid - 7pm Eastern - PS4

1) stb (Berried_treasurE) - 29/Titan
2) stb's pal (Capt_Greene) - 29/Warlock
3) grimlock33 - 28/Titan
4) Ourobolus - 28 Warlock
5) Rhadamanthus ( PSN: drassill) - 26/Warlock
6) captscience
alt) schwagger15

I'm loading up now.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Do all the bounties and story missions on hard. I have 2 characters and I remember it taking about 7 hours 2 hit level 20 on the 2nd one this way.

Story mode with bounty's along the way. I believe there was a guide, if I find it I'll link it here for you. But like I sad before you are looking at ~6hrs roughly. Give or take depending on how fast you are and bounties.

Here's the guide
http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2jro9l/fast_leveling_guide/

Thank you. I can't believe I'm willing to do this!

Thank you. I can't believe I'm willing to do this!

Getting a new alt to level 20 is surprisingly fast. It's getting the gear and mats to upgrade later that's the problem.

I got my Warlock form 20 to 25 instantly with my extra gear, but due to time limitations, I've only gotten it up to 26 over the last couple weeks because my Main is still consuming all my mats to get to 30.

milkham

Is it wishful thinking to assume Bungie are reassessing this decision regarding Exotics?

Why ask the community what they think? Why not spin it, shut up shop and continue to pump out TDW PR?

They NEED to change it.

Old Legendaries becoming obsolete only effects the HM TDB, correct?

So all they have to do, IMHO, is make it so you have to pay Xur to open up the last bubble or two. No reset, but there's still a level of grind maintained. Best of both worlds. Bungie get to stretch their content more, and countless hours spent leveling weren't a waste.

I think its wishful thinking, even if they did change, it would take months

Temidien

Neo Member
Anyone running into issues downloading the PSN system update? Only 217 MB and it's taking over 100 minutes which is unheard of for my connection. A download like this should only take me a few minutes.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Bounties and story missions. Some play harder missions but I found running the easy ones and bounties got me through it just fine.

Yes harder missions give more xp but they also take longer to run.

Yeah, as a D3 player, I've definitely ran into the 'difficulty/time to complete' dilemma.

E92 M3

Nope.
Hey new free DLC.
Frequent balance changes! Many of you hate these, but you know they make the game better.
Hey, here's an interesting weekend challenge that's not just an XP grind. Free loot crate for achieving community goals.
More packs to buy and expensive top end loot :( So we're going to increase the number of credits you earn per match. :D
3UBACN8.png

It's a thing of wonder that such a small piece of software can feel so much bigger and inviting than a full retail release. For a second Destiny managed to capture that feel. The new economy made upgrading feel less like a chore and more like a great chance to use end-game weaponry. Players were excited about the new piece of content coming soon. Anyone up for Glacier speed runs to prepare?

Now it just feels like ME3's single player ending. Bleh.

I never had interested in that mode, but I'm happy to see Bioware really supported their game.

Man I'm really put off upgrading anymore of my exotics now any further because I'm actually going to have to upgrade them again next week. But from scratch. I'm not sure how any of this is a good idea. It doesn't reward people who've put so much time into the game... the games biggest fans in other words. Bit deflating if this all really is the case. If an exotic has been fully upgraded, there should be less of a grind to upgrade it again compared to someone who's not initially upgraded it at all.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I see how dumb it is that upgrading is actually a detriment in the long term. I hope figures it out that making dumb grinds does opposite of what they want.

it sucks they opted for this route that punishes those who leveled up gear; it like encourages us to be super selective with what we upgrade for now in fear that it will be reset in the future, meaning that we will hold back on upgrading new weapon drops and not aim to get new gear and just be content holding to OLD gear that that we prefer to handle

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Getting a new alt to level 20 is surprisingly fast. It's getting the gear and mats to upgrade later that's the problem.

I got my Warlock form 20 to 25 instantly with my extra gear, but due to time limitations, I've only gotten it up to 26 over the last couple weeks because my Main is still consuming all my mats to get to 30.

I just want to be able to run the weekly on hard for the coins. What's the level requirement for that?

Definity

Guess I should just wait to finish out my Thorn bounty and get the new and "improved" thorn now. Was sitting on 300/500 points for the crucible portion. Assuming I will get the new one if I finish it after the DLC hits?

I open up Destiny on Tuesday night and it now has one column of empty bubbles on the far right, which will let me upgrade it to level 360 (or whatever it is).

I don't have to spend coins. I don't have to spend marks. I don't have to sacrifice my first born.

I just have to grind with it like I normally do, playing NF's raiding or whatever.

The new weapons, if offering different attributes, will lead me to replacing old shiny ones. But my old shiny one shouldn't require me to put in another 24+ hours to get it where it already was (just to reach a new damage plateau). That's all.

I still love the game. I already bought the season pass. I will play it. I just hate doing things twice. And three times. Etc.

I totally get what you're saying, but I'm just thinking that after another DLC, and possibly a Comet and two more DLC's...we're talking 5 more rows of bubbles out to the right. Plus, I feel like paying a little bit to have the Gunsmith rework it feels like a fair compromise compared to the current plan. Even if the cost is something like a couple motes of light like the Iron Banner re-roll.

Has it been confirmed that Xur will be able to upgrade the Mytho, Hawkmoon and Monte Carlo? I want to know if I should start upgrading my Mytho or not waste the time. .

Hell is the Mytho even better than the VoC? (I know I would have to stop using my Ice Breaker though)

CREMSteve

Complete the daily and Use a Xur telemetry right before it ends. Turn in ten bounties at once. Go put the item in the vault and change to another character. Repeat the process (without telemetry, it's not needed) and the exotic item is fully leveled from scratch.

Definitely won't take you 24 hours.

This really isn't as big a deal as people are makin it out to be.

Has it been confirmed that Xur will be able to upgrade the Mytho, Hawkmoon and Monte Carlo? I want to know if I should start upgrading my Mytho or not waste the time. .

Hell is the Mytho even better than the VoC? (I know I would have to stop using my Ice Breaker though)

No idea on Hawkmoon and Monte Carlo. They are keeping mum about Sony content for the most part.

SharkJAW

Complete the daily and Use a Xur telemetry right before it ends. Turn in ten bounties at once. Go put the item in the vault and change to another character. Repeat the process (without telemetry, it's not needed) and the exotic item is fully leveled from scratch.

I thought Daily experience was confirmed to only work for armor.

spyder_ur

Should i keep my hunter, or titan? I got raid gear to get another warlock to lvl 30. Idk which to scrap.

Why change? Even if you can get to 30 with another warlock, I imagine the grind to get there during the DLC (assuming you're buying) wouldn't be as bad (or at least much worse) as doing the story missions again.

patchday

I think its wishful thinking, even if they did change, it would take months

They'll change it a few weeks before their next DLC

Man I really do like the concept of DLCs but it feels like publishers do the bare minimum to get folks money. Hence why I rarely buy them.

I wish Activision/Bungie would understand if you keep the playerbase happy we will have no issue buying your DLCs. But when we feel like you are trying to stretch the thin content to keep us busy til the next DLC then you'll just piss folks off

Why not just keep it on the level like Multiplayer FPS (like Killzone). Killzone didn't feel like they were stretching content to keep us busy. They simply just tossed out some dlcs and asked for a fair price in which I happily paid.

Activision/Bungie piss me off so badly I wouldnt want to give them any money

Still hoping this decision gets revoked tho and the new DLC will become popular.

You make it sound like stocking up on 20 completed bounties can be done while making a sandwich. Plus you have to consider the time it takes to get all of the mats and glimmer required.

x5 or so fully leveled exotics.

Jaeyden

What the fuck is with this game? Changing the rules and moving the bar all the time. RNG is enough of a bitch that I shouldn't have to wonder whether upgrading any of my exotic weapons is a good thing in the long term. I mean FFS, two days ago it felt like I had every reason in the world to upgrade all my exotics and I've been pounding out bounties with all my characters. Now I'm at a standstill again. Why waste XP on something I'm going to trade in and have to fucking level all over again? SMH

You have to be level 28 to be invited to a 28 hard weekly? I figured you could join underleveled.

You can be invited much lower, but unless you are within 1 or maybe 2 levels, you won't be able to contribute much. You would need a group of very generous friends to carry you through the content.

Adding a couple extra damage nodes is such an obvious thing to do to upgraded exotics...

How the hell did they not think of that? If they did think of that, what jackass shot down the idea?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
huh. i bet old exotics you hold onto will be directly upgradeable to the next tier when it's raised again in whatever, the 2nd dlc. probably save some stuff in the vault til then and then do them all at once.

they definitely want you to prioritize which exotics you like most in order to keep them maxed and current. I get the frustration and feeling of being punished for time spent. I'm definitely not giving up my maxed Gjallarhorn up front, it's far too useful in its current state. Unless enemy HP is so dramatically spiked that being at-level and damaging them with my current loadout is non-functional in terms of damage, rather than just suboptimal, I'm not actually in a hurry to get the 31 extra attack.

I'm thinking I'll actually put my coins and shards toward any new Exotics Xur may or may not be selling, which apparently he can based on that screenshot... rather than upgrading any of my old stuff right away. I guess I'm not swimming in coins like a lot of you either, I've bought some stuff to collect, and my third character is juuust barely getting to level 26. Can't necessarily spend on everything I want when he first shows up.

phen0m24

But.

I.

Already.

Did.

It.

Is my problem.

Listen, do you guys have kids? Do you like folding 600 piece of small laundry every few days? Do you hate mowing the grass? Hate repetitive tasks? I do.
(I realize the irony as this game basically fits that criteria)

When I put X hours into that exotic that was hard as heck to get in the first place, the last thing I want to do is RE-DO the work I already did.

In Hudson's suggestion, fine:

I'll pay 3 motes or 3 coins, and THEN they can add the column of bubbles. OR have them filled in after I pay. Either way I don't care.

Just don't make me start over with an exotic and an EMPTY screen of bubbles.

Please. Just don't.

ocean

Banned

So your suggestion is "Just turn in a few dozen bounties your using alts, that's nothing"? OK then.

CREMSteve

You make it sound like stocking up on 20 completed bounties can be done while making a sandwich. Plus you have to consider the time it takes to get all of the mats and glimmer required.

x5 or so fully level exotics.
Fair enough. The bounties take two nights of playing after work. The materials and glimmer are accumulated naturally through the process of completing them and the dailies/weeklies/etc.

It's just not as bad as people are saying it is. Lvling an exotic doesn't have to be painful, I wish I had known this for the first five or six I lvl'd, lol.

huh. i bet old exotics you hold onto will be directly upgradeable to the next tier when it's raised again in whatever, the 2nd dlc. probably save some stuff in the vault til then and then do them all at once.

they definitely want you to prioritize which exotics you like most in order to keep them maxed and current. I get the frustration and feeling of being punished for time spent. I'm definitely not giving up my maxed Gjallarhorn up front, it's far too useful in its current state. Unless enemy HP is so dramatically spiked that being at-level and damaging them with my current loadout is non-functional in terms of damage, rather than just suboptimal, I'm not actually in a hurry to get the 31 extra attack.

I'm thinking I'll actually put my coins and shards toward any new Exotics Xur may or may not be selling, which apparently he can based on that screenshot... rather than upgrading any of my old stuff right away. I guess I'm not swimming in coins like a lot of you either, I've bought some stuff to collect, and my third character is juuust barely getting to level 26. Can't necessarily spend on everything I want when he first shows up.

If the screenshot is legit, I'm buying Dragon's Breath without a doubt and putting all my time into maxing that.

In saying this, I need to finish the weekly on my two characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom