• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Frame

I really hope Bungie is holding an emergency meeting about all this, but I certainly won't hold my breath. They'll probably see how things settle down after a few days and of course after people get their hands on the DLC and see how things work in practice before they do anything.

Fair enough. The bounties take two nights of playing after work. The materials and glimmer are accumulated naturally through the process of completing them and the dailies/weeklies/etc.

It's just not as bad as people are saying it is. Lvling an exotic doesn't have to be painful, I wish I had known this for the first five or six I lvl'd, lol.

Cool, I also forgot the coins needed to buy the telemetries, and hoping that Xur is selling the one you need.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
upupgraded exotics you may have in your vault are oddly valuable as a result. the upgrade exchange will take them from 260-302, the largest damage just that any upgrade process can even do right now. presumably, after the exotic update, this is also an opportunity for other people to main the reworked exotics for fun and a "cheap" upgrade.

thinking of stuff for a guide on how to navigate all this stuff, if there would be interest. need some more info, but pretty soon.

Wallach

Here's how I probably would have set up the exotic upgrade system:

Sell a magical doohickey at the new DLC Lady Bleedyeyes vendor for Black Wax Idols or Glimmer. You could only apply this item to the exotic if it has been fully upgraded.

Applying the item to any exotic resets the final column of upgrades in that weapon while adjusting the weapon's Attack or armor's Defense/Light to the new base Exotic curve:

- All three upgrades in the column will be designated with a colored outer ring designating that the weapon was upgraded instead of found/purchased post-DLC, to promote player legacy/investment (players would be able to show off an exotic that they carried with them since launch as these designations "stacked up" like tree rings)

- Each of the final upgrades would split the new Attack/Armor/Light curve distribution across 3 nodes such that unlocking the first node would essentially include the "easier" nodes prior to the final column

- Node XP would be split up 30/30/40% of the total XP required to level the item from base so it would take a similar amount of time to finish upgrading that item compared to buying a new post-DLC item (which is to prevent players from being left too far behind as DLC progression continues, and keeps Telemetry consumables relevant for all players)

- The final node would still require another Exotic Shard to unlock to keep opportunity cost relatively equal in resource while conveying the advantage of having all prior weapon perks unlocked while leveling the weapon along the new stat curve

- Xur's involvement is equalized in the progression advancement such that his only relevance is either for exotics you currently don't possess or to purchase Exotic Shards (which are equally relevant whether you buy the exotic from him post-DLC or are upgrading a current exotic). The upgrade lottery element is a word-of-mouth disaster waiting to happen

So when the second expansion comes out, we gotta do it all over again...for the third time on the original exotics and for the second time on the TDB exotics??? That's a depressing thought...

I really hope Bungie is holding an emergency meeting about all this, but I certainly won't hold my breath. They'll probably see how things settle down after a few days and of course after people get their hands on the DLC and see how things work in practice before they do anything.

I'm sure they meet to discuss things at a high level frequently, but making changes take a lot of time. Especially changes to systems.

It was either this thread or the one on Gaming about the change, but they mentioned that the person in the Game Informer article had spoken with Bungie Devs that had many of the same complaints and frustrations with the game that many of us express. If Devs are seeing the same issues and things are slow to change for the better or not at all, then I don't know what they are going to do. Something is broken inside Bungie from the production side of planning and design for this game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
in other words, any upgrade system that left unlocked the two "one-column" perks from your exotic while changing the base damage to the new plateau would have been fine with everyone

the markers for "OG" exotics are a nice touch, exquisite work as always Wallach.

ocean

Banned
So when the second expansion comes out, we gotta do it all over again...for the third time on the original exotics and for the second time on the TDB exotics??? That's a depressing thought...

Ice Breakers everywhere rejoice at the idea of eating a million XP over the game's course. Guardians cry.

upupgraded exotics you may have in your vault are oddly valuable as a result. the upgrade exchange will take them from 260-302, the largest damage just that any upgrade process can even do right now. presumably, after the exotic update, this is also an opportunity for other people to main the reworked exotics for fun and a "cheap" upgrade.

thinking of stuff for a guide on how to navigate all this stuff, if there would be interest. need some more info, but pretty soon.

The wording of Deej's comment could be interpreted that only fully upgraded Exotics can be "refreshed" to higher tier. Maybe we are getting too worked up on folks lucking out by not upgrading all along. (Not that the current proposed implementation is a good idea)

It's just not clear right now.

Also, I'm sure there will be a ton of interest in a new guide. This is a huge monkey wrench in the progression system and people will be confused for a while. Vets and newbies alike.

Agent

I'm now 0/22 on Atheons Epilogue and 0/10 on Warlock raid helmet. I feel like I'm just being trolled at this point.

Geneijin

I'm mainly disappointed about exotic item upgrading not because of all the exp that's going to be needed, but the nonexistent options for legendary item upgrading and reforging that was introduced for Iron Banner items only in the last Iron Banner. Destiny has few loot, and even fewer worthwhile exotics that deserve to occupy an exotic slot due to game restrictions only. I'm forced to become more selective, not elective, with what items I'll be carrying forward to progress in Destiny because exotics are incredibly time consuming to level compared to legendary and old raid items, which are still considered legendary items. Having more slots for bounties mitigates this somewhat, but carrying over bounties from days over and having 2 days worth of bounties means more grinding for a class of items that's already more time consuming to level than most other items in the game. Bungie better not dare require a fully upgraded exotic item for a reset because I don't need to reiterate why.

The inability to carry the best legendary items and old raid weapons into the new hard raid is also going to be devastating because of similar reasons. There's not a lot of loot in Destiny, and I do not want to continue playing a game without Fatebringer by my side... To compound that even further, the lack of vault space is especially excruciating. I don't have a lot of room for choices literally and figuratively speaking.

Ah, fuck it. I have more to complain about, but it's not worth it right now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
man, there really should be some kind of visual designation of guns that had been upgraded over the game's lifespan compared to recently dropped and upgraded. need that swag for my hawkmoon.

CREMSteve

But.

I.

Already.

Did.

It.

Is my problem.

Listen, do you guys have kids? Do you like folding 600 piece of small laundry every few days? Do you hate mowing the grass? Hate repetitive tasks? I do.
(I realize the irony as this game basically fits that criteria)

When I put X hours into that exotic that was hard as heck to get in the first place, the last thing I want to do is RE-DO the work I already did.

In Hudson's suggestion, fine:

I'll pay 3 motes or 3 coins, and THEN they can add the column of bubbles. OR have them filled in after I pay. Either way I don't care.

Just don't make me start over with an exotic and an EMPTY screen of bubbles.

Please. Just don't.
I totally get it, I have three kids of my own. My wife would attest to how much I hate doing much of anything around the house. :p

Except the dishes, for whatever reason, I don't seem to mind those. Maybe lvling an exotic is like doin the dishes? ;)

lupin23rd

man, there really should be some kind of visual designation of guns that had been upgraded over the game's lifespan compared to recently dropped and upgraded. need that swag for my hawkmoon.

Wondering if they will rename them.

Hawkmoon +1
Hawkmoon mk2

Or whatever.

Anybody been over to Gaming? That thread is the Player Hater's Ball.

9th_annual_international_player_haters_ball_oh_man-45935.gif

It wouldn't be so bad of you didn't lose your XP. The amount weapons need is stupid and with how situational their uses are even your most used ones won't get that much use out in the field for the enemy XP.

Sofa King

So should my warlock (who needs a 30 helmet) leave the vanguard as close to next level so I can quickly get a commendation to buy new stuff? Is that the way it works?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The wording of Deej's comment could be interpreted that only fully upgraded Exotics can be "refreshed" to higher tier.
Hmm, I haven't drawn that conclusion from anything I've seen so far. That would actually change my interpretation of the system considerably.
Upgrading an Exotic in this way will require an Exotic Shard
The upgrade will reset the progression invested into the item
I take that to mean "Regardless of how much has been invested, even if that is none," but it is, as has been the case before, a little vague.

Hmm, I haven't drawn that conclusion from anything I've seen so far. That would actually change my interpretation of the system considerably.

I take that to mean "Regardless of how much has been invested, even if that is none," but it is, as has been the case before, a little vague.

If the former is true - having to fully upgrade it before cashing it in - this fire will get a whole lot bigger.

That said, I doubt that's the case. I assume that we can trade it in regardless of progression level.

phen0m24

I totally get it, I have three kids of my own. My wife would attest to how much I hate doing much of anything around the house. :p

Except the dishes, for whatever reason, I don't seem to mind those. Maybe lvling an exotic is like doin the dishes? ;)

Haha Steve - dishwasher for the win, bro. :) I'm a single Dad, so I'm constantly doing laundry. Hence my frame of reference.

I know we could use telemetries, trust me - my son just used them to level up Thorn. But if he had to do that again, we would have to wait for them to go on sale, then do all those bounties across multiple characters again... Ugh.

I want Bungie to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr_YVQctXVg

He was with us during the daily and he's still playing with her as we type!

I am waiting for an Off Topic meltdown of epic proportions...

"So my sister and friend were supposed to be playing Destiny. I walk in to say hi and well they were definitely exploring some loot caves if you know what I mean."

adin75

I like the idea of having the gunsmith resetting the last column of damage upgrades then just re leveling those to reach the new cap.

CREMSteve

Haha Steve - dishwasher for the win, bro. :) I'm a single Dad, so I'm constantly doing laundry. Hence my frame of reference.

I know we could use telemetries, trust me - my son just used them to level up Thorn. But if he had to do that again, we would have to wait for them to go on sale, then do all those bounties across multiple characters again... Ugh.

I want Bungie to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr_YVQctXVg
I just posted this on another forum, applies here as well.

The wording is too vague for me to get worked up as of yet. I'm hoping that only fully lvl'd weapons can be upgraded, otherwise a base exotic is just as valuable as one that's fully lvl'd today.

That would not be cool.

Otherwise, I'm fine with it. I was never planning on sticking with these weapons forever, new stuff drops and makes old stuff irrelevant, it's the way these types of games work.

If anything, the fact that I can simply upgrade what I've got rather than put myself through the trials and tribulations of RNG drops completely ignoring me, is a blessing I am thankful for. Time I can handle, but time for no reward is when I get frustrated.

*cough* Where's my damn Ghjallahorn or Icebreaker, Bungie??? *cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom