• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
So I just upgraded my Vex and TLW to 300 with two exotic shards and you're telling me if I want to upgrade them the progress will reset? Lol. Why didn't Bungie tell us earlier??

Heel

Thank you for your recent call to Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) Consumer Services. We have reviewed your case and as a one time gesture of goodwill we have approved your refund in the amount of $34.99. Please allow us 2 to 4 weeks to finalize your refund and return the funds back to your PSN Wallet/Credit Card.

Colbert+Wave.gif

That would be total crap. So if an exotic drops for you in Nightfall after Dec. 9 you have to decide whether to level it right away or to wait who knows how long until Xur is selling its upgrade in order to reset its progress and become a premium exotic?

After the expansion lands im pretty sure all exotics that you get will be the new max, not the old max, so you won't have to wait for Xur (for ones that land after expansion hits)

That would be total crap. So if an exotic drops for you in Nightfall after Dec. 9 you have to decide whether to level it right away or to wait who knows how long until Xur is selling its upgrade in order to reset its progress and be a premium exotic?

It's the same item. If they're raising the attack stat of an item it would apply to all. Look at how the Vex worked. They raised the attack and it doesnt matter if you had a Vex or will be getting a Vex in the future. They all have the same attack value. I am not sure but I think there might be some misinformation going around. Confirmation from bungie would be appreciated

So I just upgraded my Vex and TLW to 300 with two exotic shards and you're telling me if I want to upgrade them the progress will reset? Lol. Why didn't Bungie tell us earlier??

That's just bullshit right there. No reason they couldn't tell us on Monday when they introduced the exotic shards

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
If that was the case then they should apply to current ones as well since it's the same item. I don't believe that's how it works.

Do we have confirmation of this?
When you buy a new exotic from Xur after Dec. 9, it will have an upgraded base damage automatically. I believe all drops will also have their base attack changed. It's dumb, I agree.

Victrix

*beard*
After the expansion lands im pretty sure all exotics that you get will be the new max, not the old max, so you won't have to wait for Xur (for ones that land after expansion hits)

So the ones I earned before the patch are magically less powerful than the new ones because:

I should be excited and happy for the expansion to be dropping, not angry and frustrated

You're doing it wrong Bungie

If that was the case then they should apply to current ones as well since it's the same item. I don't believe that's how it works.

No, that's not really true.

I am virtually certain that any exotic that drops for anyone after the expansion hits will be the new, more powerful version. It wouldn't make sense for an exotic to drop next week and then for you to have to wait for Xur to sell the upgrade for it before you start applying XP to it. That would be madness.

Somehow in the back end the exotics we have now will be distinguished separately from new exotic drops and exotics we have now that have had the upgrade applied to them. Clearly Bungie needs their system to recognize both variants ongoing.

Going to post this again. Thanks for reading;

My North American Xbox One clan (Progenitor) is looking to recruit some more players for raiding in The Dark Below. We ran 2-3 Vault of Glass groups at our peak but as with many Destiny clans, some of our members have branched out into other games. Many will be coming back for The Dark Below, but I'd definitely like to add a few more players to ensure we can reliably run several raid groups week in and week out. We're pretty laid back and like to have fun and bust on each other while raiding. We generally start raids around 8:30 EST.

If you have any questions about Progenitor, our schedule or who we are, feel free to shoot me a PM on GAF or on Bungie.net. Here is a link to our clan page;

http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Xbox/174077

EL CUCO

Another important note for those high-level players out there: Both heroics and nightfall strikes will see an increase of two light levels once the expansion opens. So prepare for those level 30 nightfall challenges.

I'm surprised I haven't seen too many people talking about this.

Zakalwe

Banned
There is an expression in business: No such thing as a free lunch. It's exactly the scenario we have here - the cost of obtaining destination materials at an easier pace is the extra treadmill with exotics.

That's not what's happening.

It's only extra treadmill if you've levelled the weapon already, only extra grind for those who've already put the time in.

If it's true that all exotics past that point will drop with the new values, then only players who've already invested a lot of time will be hurt by this.

Because they wanted us to burn our available supply of Shards beforehand to increase the grind. Or they are just continuing the tradition of terrible communication.

Bladelaw

Put me in tentatively. I'm currently sitting in an airport waiting to go home and the flight is running late. I'm guessing it'll be closer to 11 before I'm home, but if I can make it, I'd like to join you on my warlock.

StrykerIsland
Keep me posted. I'll need to start right around 10.

Anyone up for a normal mode Vault of Glass run around 10pm US East time? I need 3 more
(Bladelaw) fadeddream
The_Fedora (local friend)
Durpenstein (local friend)
Filled
?
?StrykerIsland (tentative)

Still need one or two more. Normal mode stomp.

Victrix

*beard*
Because they wanted us to burn our available supply of Shards beforehand to increase the grind. Or they are just continuing the tradition of terrible communication.

Seriously how fucking hard is it to bring this stuff up sooner.

Either they made this change incredibly recently and are only just announcing it now, or they knew about it weeks ago and didn't tell us until now. Both options suck.

Sh0k

Keep me posted. I'll need to start right around 10.

Anyone up for a normal mode Vault of Glass run around 10pm US East time? I need 3 more
(Bladelaw) fadeddream
The_Fedora (local friend)
Durpenstein (local friend)
Filled
?
?StrykerIsland (tentative)

Still need one or two more. Normal mode stomp.

Let me know if you have space for one more, level 29 Warlock - PSN Shokleeto

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I understand everyone keeps saying this but do we have any word from Bungie?
I'm not sure. Im going off what I've read in here. What Tyler said makes sense. You'd have to wait for Xur on every new exotic drop you found to trade it in before it'd even be worth it to start upgrading the gun.

It's only extra treadmill if you've levelled the weapon already, only extra grind for those who've already put the time in.

If it's true that all exotics past that point will drop with the new values, then only players who've already invested a lot of time will be hurt by this.

We don't know this yet. I am really really interested to find out what will happen with a new dropped Gjallarhorn or Ice Breaker

I'm not sure. Im going off what I've read in here. What Tyler said makes sense. You'd have to wait for Xur on every new exotic drop you found to trade it in before it'd even be worth it to start upgrading the gun.

I know. What he says makes sense but if you are raising the stat of all exotics then existing ones should automatically be raised as well. That extra grind just makes no sense. That's why everyone here is saying they should add the extra bubbles to fill in

Lima

This.

If I drop a Ghorn in the nightfall next week it will be one that starts at 302 attack and can be upgraded to the new max. So I am better off just sharding my old Ghorn that I invested time to level it up and then max it out with hours of farming materials and shit. Thank you Bungie for valuing my time so much.

Deku Tree

I'm surprised I haven't seen too many people talking about this.

so if your one of those #forever29s out there who didn't buy the expansion you still gotta grind up to level 30 or 31 with the new gear If you want to keep playing Bungies nightfalls and weeklies...

coy

Stuck in rainy traffic for over an hour and nowhere near home. My commute is 40 minutes normally. What a shit day today turned out to be. Anyways to scarletham and co. I won't be home for at least another hour so I hope y'all found a replacement. I sent PMs but this may work faster. Maybe next time.

E92 M3

What I was basically saying is that, a gesture of good will came at cost in one form or another. They gave us a little, but added a ton more crap.

We don't know this yet. I am really really interested to find out what will happen with a new dropped Gjallarhorn or Ice Breaker

Think about it, it would make no sense otherwise. As mutagenic above said, it would be silly to force players to go to Xur every time they get a new exotic never minding Xur's RNG.

I will say what you are saying is a possibility no matter how small but only cos bungie

Edit: I see you addressed this, but as with my last sentence.... Cos bungie

Zakalwe

Banned

If it's not true then it's even worse.

Why would you want to risk upgrading your brand new Gjallarhorn when next week Xur might offer it for boosting?

This.

If I drop a Ghorn in the nightfall next week it will be one that starts at 302 attack and can be upgraded to the new max. So I am better off just sharding my old Ghorn that I invested time to level it up and then max it out with hours of farming materials and shit. Thank you Bungie for valuing my time so much.

Almost correct.

If a horn dropped for you next week, you'd not be required to shard your old horn until the very last upgrade circle of the new one. That's when that shard is needed.

Until that time you could continue to use the old horn for it's wolf pack rounds etc in tandem with using bounties and quick swaps at the end of strikes to upgrade the new one.

A new horn in the hand does not render the old fully upgraded one obsolete by any means.

This.

Even still we need to take RNG into account no matter how hypothetical this is. No one should shard anything willy nilly anymore.

Think about it, it would make no sense otherwise. As mutagenic above said, it would be silly to force players to go to Xur every time they get a new exotic never minding Xur's RNG.

I will say what you are saying is a possibility no matter how small but only cos bungie

I am saying what I am saying because of the way bungie is doing this whole thing. If the attack cap for Gjallarhorn is being raised then existing Gjallarhorns should have their attacks raised as well. There is no continuity if they make the ones that drop later have different stats. If I have to take my gjallarhorn to Xur then someone who gets their dropped after the expansion should have to do the same. But if all Gjallarhorn drops after the expansion automatically have the raised max attack then my Gjallarhorn should have it's attack automatically raised as well

EL CUCO

so if your one of those #forever29s out there who didn't buy the expansion you still gotta grind up to level 30 or 31 with the new gear If you want to keep playing Bungies nightfalls and weeklies...

Yup. I think you need a "commendation" from the faction to buy the gear as well. Bungie added grind in your grind.

This makes no sense to me. Exotic gear is exotic, it's supposed to be the best and still be roughly on par with other exotic gear, and being base game or DLC shouldn't change that. The reason you pick up a new exotic should be because you like the new one's perks/abilities etc, not because you're shoe horned into it because of a higher damage stat. The whole thing about choosing which exotics you're gonna use is part of the strategy. Doesn't work anywhere near as well if you class some below others. They should be split by thier ability, not because they're DLC

This is why they're making them upgradable but wiping the progress. So that current Exotics can still be viable but to do so you have to level them all over again, just as you would with any new Exotic. It puts (nearly) all the Exotics at a level playing field.

The thing that people are complaining about is the loss of time and effort. However that's already happening with Legendary gear as you have to replace all of that to reach max level too. This is what makes it Vertical Progression and why all Vertical Progression games are called "treadmills." It's an inherent drawback to the design. The only way to avoid that is Horizontal Progression but that entails losing the feeling of becoming more and more powerful as more new content is released.

Zakalwe

Banned
I am saying what I am saying because of the way bungie is doing this whole thing. If the attack cap for Gjallarhorn is being raised then existing Gjallarhorns should have their attacks raised as well. There is no continuity if they make the ones that drop later have different stats. If I have to take my gjallarhorn to Xur then someone who gets their dropped after the expansion should have to do the same. But if all Gjallarhorn drops after the expansion automatically have the raised max attack then my Gjallarhorn should have it's attack automatically raised as well

If everything you wrote about the system is indeed how it will be, then yes: they should just auto upgrade everything.

I cannot believe this is how they're intending to handle it. There must be some kind of miscommunication somewhere. It's just baffling.

Honestly i cometely agree with you and this is the very point being raised earlier while in crucible with GAF. All I can say again is bungie gonna bungie. We never seem to know what the hell they are thinking

Lima

Yup. I think you need a "commendation" from the faction to buy the gear as well. Bungie added grind in your grind.

I guess the commendation thing is to get people to play patrol again. They know that the patrol missions are boring as fuck and no one likes to do them and they made patrol essentially useless with Monday's patch. So you want to buy that new gauntlet from the vendor? Better go in patrol and grind that shitty reputation level so you can actually use the 200 marks you have been sitting on all this time.

I can't even believe this as I'm typing it. This is so horrible omg Bungie pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom