• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghazi

has there been any news on the "overall class balance" patch bungie mentioned a while ago?

Yeah, you gotta bring your character with the class equipped to Xur and give a class shard, 7k glimmer, and 9 strange coins to reset it for the new changes.

Honestly i cometely agree with you and this is the very point being raised earlier while in crucible with GAF. All I can say again is bungie gonna bungie. We never seem to know what the hell they are thinking

But we get choices. Deej said we get options now. Keep it as is or "choose" to "upgrade" and level again.

stb

Thanks for the run guys, hope I wasn't too much trouble. Hopefully in the future I can contribute more if you'll have me :x

Yeah, totally. Good raid, all! grimlock33, Ourobolus, captscience

I pulled:
- raid arms (which is annoying, because I just did the Iron Banner grind for those arms recently)
- Atheon's Epilogue (second)
- Hezen Vengence (second)
- lots of ass

My buddy got:
- raid chest
- found verdict

Cool, thanks. I'm around if another raids starting up too.

Everyone showed up. Let me know if you find a hard raid that might take a 29 or if you want to go next week.

Pickman

Nice, did you get the 28 done?

She was only 25 and we didn't want to make her feel like she was flicking pebbles at mobs so we did the 26. She should hopefully be up to 26 or 27 next week so she'll be ready for the good stuff.

That kid is dynamite with a trip mine tho. She took out a few packs that were about to merc us.

ocean

Banned
I have Hawkmoon with zero upgrades right now. Let's say I upgrade it all the way to 300 attack. This will require 6,600 Glimmer, 56 Helium Filaments and 1 Exotic Shard (7 Strange Coins).

If I wait a week I'll be given the chance to skip all of that shit and jump straight to 302 attack...and then have to spend all of that.

For unupgraded exotics the upgrade path is a cheap way to jump from 274 to 302 without making a mess. But it's ridiculous how much work just becomes meaningless for weapons you've already done.

I wonder what the rationale behind erasing our progress was. Wouldn't it be easier to have the upgrade path just open a new column? Even if that new column takes as long to fill out as all the previous ones combined and the nodes are expensive, it still sucks that whoever gets a dropped Ice Breaker next week would have it do more damage than mine when I've poured ridiculous amounts of XP and materials into it.

Geneijin

No, that's not really true.

I am virtually certain that any exotic that drops for anyone after the expansion hits will be the new, more powerful version. It wouldn't make sense for an exotic to drop next week and then for you to have to wait for Xur to sell the upgrade for it before you start applying XP to it. That would be madness.

Somehow in the back end the exotics we have now will be distinguished separately from new exotic drops and exotics we have now that have had the upgrade applied to them. Clearly Bungie needs their system to recognize both variants ongoing.
Unless they make old exotics and new exotics into tiers. The old exotics will require 7,000 Glimmer and 1 Exotic Shard to upgrade into the new tier (but you can only reset them after maxing them first) while the new exotics will have the new max potential with a lower cost.

Yeah, you gotta bring your character with the class equipped to Xur and give a class shard, 7k glimmer, and 9 strange coins to reset it for the new changes.

banderas.png

Zakalwe

Banned
This is why they're making them upgradable but wiping the progress. So that current Exotics can still be viable but to do so you have to level them all over again, just as you would with any new Exotic. It puts (nearly) all the Exotics at a level playing field.

The thing that people are complaining about is the loss of time and effort. However that's already happening with Legendary gear as you have to replace all of that to reach max level too. This is what makes it Vertical Progression and why all Vertical Progression games are called "treadmills." It's an inherent drawback to the design. The only way to avoid that is Horizontal Progression but that entails losing the feeling of becoming more and more powerful as more new content is released.

It's different because new players will have to put less time in to upgrade the /same/ gear as veterans who've put in hundreds of hours already.

Pickman

They did the 26, since she's only level 25.

She's playing a strike now and just got a legendary gauntlet engram. Assuming it's not for Warlocks or Titans, that will get her to level 26 and she can start doing 28 stuff.

Niiiiice! Is she doing her dailies for vanguard rep? That welfare chest will go a long way.

Lima

It's different because new players will have to put less time in to upgrade the /same/ gear as veterans who've put in hundreds of hours already.

Honestly though this has been a problem with the game from the start.

There are so many stop blocks like the weekly reset and caps in place to stop the hardcore from getting too far ahead that this only makes sense.

This is why they're making them upgradable but wiping the progress. So that current Exotics can still be viable but to do so you have to level them all over again, just as you would with any new Exotic. It puts (nearly) all the Exotics at a level playing field.

The thing that people are complaining about is the loss of time and effort. However that's already happening with Legendary gear as you have to replace all of that to reach max level too. This is what makes it Vertical Progression and why all Vertical Progression games are called "treadmills." It's an inherent drawback to the design. The only way to avoid that is Horizontal Progression but that entails losing the feeling of becoming more and more powerful as more new content is released.

Ah but thats just it. They aren't new are they? It's not like they're new drops either. It doesn't set a good precedence either. Are we supposed to level up all our exotics every time a DLC hits?

As people are rightly complaining about, my time playing destiny is clearly not valued by Bungie and it seems all they care is making me stick around till the next round of DLC hits and I gotta say they aren't doing a great job of it. I mean how much time do they think people have? I put a lot of my spare time in because I'm lucky enough to have two days off every week from university. Others have full time jobs/families making time far more precious. This is not even minding the existence of other games.

And don't even get me started on legendaries. That situation is a whole other shitfest. But I've conceded that battle. Bungie will (probably) never change that

If everything you wrote about the system is indeed how it will be, then yes: they should just auto upgrade everything.

I cannot believe this is how they're intending to handle it. There must be some kind of miscommunication somewhere. It's just baffling.

Honestly i cometely agree with you and this is the very point being raised earlier while in crucible with GAF. All I can say again is bungie gonna bungie. We never seem to know what the hell they are thinking

So all I'm saying is we are not sure what is gonna happen. We have had exotics and that's it but raising the attack on the Vex basically created two tiers of exotics. I think that is what Bungie is doing. The exotics from the DLC are the new higher tier exotics and the current ones excluding the Vex are lower tier. You can raise the tier of the exotic by taking it to Xur when you're item is available for upgrade. I really think that will not change if an item is dropped after the expansion. Of course a clarification from Bungie would be very helpful.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
So, with the update they said they're going to be addressing loot drop systems in Crota's end.

Are they going to look at all activities and adjust loot drops accordingly?

Many difficult activities in this game don't seem to reward properly. AKA a Level 30 daily rewarding more mats, with the chance of a purple engram over blue.

A big fear I have is now upgrading my current exotics, then getting the same exotic dropped at the higher level cap. That will feel like a total waste of materials, even worse than grinding rep levels and getting the cape i need to earn rep as a reward.

ah well. Spitting out thoughts.

Homeboyd

She's playing a strike now and just got a legendary gauntlet engram. Assuming it's not for Warlocks or Titans, that will get her to level 26 and she can start doing 28 stuff.
Wait til she gets 2 ass shards out of it. :) Loot in this game is pretty terrible.

I think you mean players that haven't poured as much time into maxing out Exotics rather than new players. That's true. And with the exception of those that leveled Exotics a bunch in the recent weeks, those that did put that time in also enjoyed the perks of having fully leveled Exotics. Unique mods that wrecked the current content. Which is what the Exotics purpose actually is.

Ah but thats just it. They aren't new are they? It's not like they're new drops either. It doesn't set a good precedence either. Are we supposed to level up all our exotics every time a DLC hits?

As people are rightly complaining about, my time playing destiny is clearly not valued by Bungie and it seems all they care is making me stick around till the next round of DLC hits and I gotta say they aren't doing a great job of it. I mean how much time do they think people have? I put a lot of my spare time in because I'm lucky enough to have two days off every week from university. Others have full time jobs/families making time far more precious. This is not even minding the existence of other games.

And don't even get me started on legendaries. That situation is a whole other shitfest. But I've conceded that battle. Bungie will (probably) never change that

If you want to keep your Exotics current to the new Progression Scale, then every time Progression advances, yes you have to level the Exotics again. I don't think it's fair or accurate to say that Bungie doesn't "value" the time it's players have put in. Having to put more time into leveling things is a staple of Vertical Progression. It doesn't work otherwise. I am, as I'm sure Bungie is as well, fully aware that people have limited time to play. However I find it hard to believe that people with limited time to play have so many fully leveled Exotics that it makes a serious difference.

It primarily affects the people with a ton of time to play. The people who have accrued a ton of Exotics and spent the time since launch leveling them. It took a lot of time then and it will take a lot of time now. That's exactly how vertical progression works.

But we get choices. Deej said we get options now. Keep it as is or "choose" to "upgrade" and level again.

If you think that's a 'choice' then all the more power to you. We already have people requesting only max light levels or people with max weapons. I bet it's even worse in LFG.

Say I go ahead and go fuck it, I'm not gonna buy this Gjallerhorn upgrade today, who the hell knows when it'll be back? Sure he has 6 slots for weapons but after that sunbreaker + voidfang fiasco, I have no trust in Xur

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

fingers crossed it's not materials :p

The difference is the change in vertical progression. If the gear in the base game stays defacto better than the new gear, then there's no incentive to get the new gear. They're extending the life of the current Exotics. If they're better right off the bat, then the new stuff becomes an afterthought.

What's the difference between that and getting a new exotic now? All of my current exotics are better than the new ones I get but I, along with everyone else, still plays on to upgrade the new exotic. I don't see how making us reupgrade everything validates getting the new ones. Seems like it's just pissing everyone off.

Unless they make old exotics and new exotics into tiers. The old exotics will require 7,000 Glimmer and 1 Exotic Shard to upgrade into the new tier (but you can only reset them after maxing them first) while the new exotics will have the new max potential with a lower cost.

Have to max them first?

I don't think so, but we don't know for sure. That would be exceptionally cruel.

I also keep seeing reference to this 7k glimmer figure for the upgrade process. Is this in the update from Bungie, because I must have missed that part somehow.

CREMSteve

Keep me posted. I'll need to start right around 10.

Anyone up for a normal mode Vault of Glass run around 10pm US East time? I need 3 more
(Bladelaw) fadeddream
The_Fedora (local friend)
Durpenstein (local friend)
Filled
?
?StrykerIsland (tentative)

Still need one or two more. Normal mode stomp.
Just landed, I'm about an hour from home. Feel free to go without me if necessary, it's coo.

She can do 28 stuff as a 25. Even a goblin farting can probably kill her though

Wallach

I have Hawkmoon with zero upgrades right now. Let's say I upgrade it all the way to 300 attack. This will require 6,600 Glimmer, 56 Helium Filaments and 1 Exotic Shard (7 Strange Coins).

If I wait a week I'll be given the chance to skip all of that shit and jump straight to 302 attack...and then have to spend all of that.

For unupgraded exotics the upgrade path is a cheap way to jump from 274 to 302 without making a mess. But it's ridiculous how much work just becomes meaningless for weapons you've already done.

I wonder what the rationale behind erasing our progress was. Wouldn't it be easier to have the upgrade path just open a new column? Even if that new column takes as long to fill out as all the previous ones combined and the nodes are expensive, it still sucks that whoever gets a dropped Ice Breaker next week would have it do more damage than mine when I've poured ridiculous amounts of XP and materials into it.

No, in the current system if you wait a week you may or may not have the opportunity to upgrade it. Hawkmoon may or may not be eligible at all since it is a PS exclusive item and this process involves Xur.

This is the real time bomb in the current upgrade proposition. They are forcing players to enter a lottery to have just the opportunity to upgrade and re-level a piece of equipment they have already have and would be willing to wipe. The real drama hasn't even started yet. Dec. 12th is when shit gets real - that's the deadline for them to un-fuck this idea.

Bladelaw

Let me know if you have space for one more, level 29 Warlock - PSN Shokleeto
You're in
Anyone up for a normal mode Vault of Glass run around 10pm US East time? I need 3 more
(Bladelaw) fadeddream
Filled
Shokleeto

One more in case Stryker can't make 10.

Pimpwerx

I think you mean players that haven't poured as much time into maxing out Exotics rather than new players. That's true. And with the exception of those that leveled Exotics a bunch in the recent weeks, those that did put that time in also enjoyed the perks of having fully leveled Exotics. Unique mods that wrecked the current content. Which is what the Exotics purpose actually is.
That's a strange way of looking at the situation. I poured hundreds of hours into maxing out my extensive inventory. If I buy the DLC, which I won't, that time has gone to waste. The utilitarian value of using those weapons gets nullified if you have to pour extra hours into remaxing them. I'd be devoting twice the time to leveling the same exact weapons, because of some arbitrary progress reset brought on by the DLC. PEACE.

Fenix

Wednesday, 9:00PM Eastern Time - Static Hard Raid
1. NarcissisticJay
2. Palom12
3. Squall ASF
4. Union Carbine
5. wins1991
6. Hawkian

Will come to this thread for alts, feel free to quote if you would like to be one (roughly one hour).

Thursday, 8:15PM Eastern Time - Newbie Raid
1. ori0n278e
2. CooI_Breeze
3. Hawkian

Believe we have 3 open for the moment. Please quote and post PSN if you would like a spot.

Friday, 9:00PM Eastern Time - Nightfall/Weekly/Xyor/Whatever Assistance
might be later at night this week.
Been through the raid a couple of times since my first newbie run, but I'd like to take my Titan through for the first time if there is a spot.

PSN: FenixOne

So all I'm saying is we are not sure what is gonna happen. We have had exotics and that's it but raising the attack on the Vex basically created two tiers of exotics. I think that is what Bungie is doing. The exotics from the DLC are the new higher tier exotics and the current ones excluding the Vex are lower tier. You can raise the tier of the exotic by taking it to Xur when you're item is available for upgrade. I really think that will not change if an item is dropped after the expansion. Of course a clarification from Bungie would be very helpful.

Heh a lot of things from bungie would be helpful, but they don't seem to be doing what we want now do they?

Even forgetting this fiasco, I wonder what they'll fuck up with bugs patching in the expansion (or however it happens)

Wednesday, 9:00PM Eastern Time - Static Hard Raid
1. NarcissisticJay
2. Palom12
3. Squall ASF
4. Union Carbine
5. wins1991
6. Hawkian

Will come to this thread for alts, feel free to quote if you would like to be one (roughly one hour).

Thursday, 8:15PM Eastern Time - Newbie Raid
1. ori0n278e
2. CooI_Breeze
3. Hawkian

Believe we have 3 open for the moment. Please quote and post PSN if you would like a spot.

Friday, 9:00PM Eastern Time - Nightfall/Weekly/Xyor/Whatever Assistance
might be later at night this week.

Think I've ran a Newbie Raid with you before Hawk, but I'll be an alt if you don't get enough newer players.

Putting myself out there for those who want Nightfall/Xyor assistance on Thursday, starting at 8AM Eastern Time. Will also be willing to jump in Friday if needed since I have the strike exotic bounty to complete.

Edit: PS4. PSN ArkkAngel007.

Zakalwe

Banned

No, I meant new players. I was using the extremes at both ends of the spectrum.

The rest of your post is pretty absurd: because we got to enjoy something we invested a lot of time into earning, it's ok that we have to repeat that grind to start enjoying them again?

Incredible.

Geneijin

I guess the commendation thing is to get people to play patrol again. They know that the patrol missions are boring as fuck and no one likes to do them and they made patrol essentially useless with Monday's patch. So you want to buy that new gauntlet from the vendor? Better go in patrol and grind that shitty reputation level so you can actually use the 200 marks you have been sitting on all this time.

I can't even believe this as I'm typing it. This is so horrible omg Bungie pls.
They also decrease the rep gains without any mention on top of that unless they did in one of their updates.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
They should have made the gunsmith the one in charge of exotic gun upgrades, and have all exotics available to upgrade at any time. The dude is worthless right now besides that one rare fusion rifle bounty.

Where is that spot in the Oracles where you can hide behind the Templar spawn area and shoot the left-most Oracle?

You have to jump into a little alleyway half way up the pillar on the back right (from spawn and closest to it) then from that alley jump onto a ledge on the back right pillar. I can't really remember more to give a better description sorry haha

Heh a lot of things from bungie would be helpful, but they don't seem to be doing what we want now do they?

Even forgetting this fiasco, I wonder what they'll fuck up with bugs patching in the expansion (or however it happens)

They really don't make any sense. I did the hard Templar fight three times last night and some random stuff was happening that seemed like bugs. I died once out of nowhere when two harpies behind me began shooting me. It was almost instant. I just died out of nowhere. Then with another character (both level 30) I was inside a detain bubble standing still as was my team mate and we both just died. We were standing still, not running or jumping.

Ghazi

They should have made the gunsmith the one in charge of exotic gun upgrades, and have all exotics available to upgrade at any time. The dude is worthless right now besides that one rare fusion rifle bounty.

lol, so true. Most of the NPCs are so underused and they all sell you stuff. Literally zero other functions.

wonzo

Banned
I guess the commendation thing is to get people to play patrol again. They know that the patrol missions are boring as fuck and no one likes to do them and they made patrol essentially useless with Monday's patch. So you want to buy that new gauntlet from the vendor? Better go in patrol and grind that shitty reputation level so you can actually use the 200 marks you have been sitting on all this time.

I can't even believe this as I'm typing it. This is so horrible omg Bungie pls.
hanginabout.gif

chewydogg

You're in
(Bladelaw) fadeddream
Filled
Shokleeto

One more in case Stryker can't make 10.

PSN AdamKoy

I'll be on by 10

What's the difference between that and getting a new exotic now? All of my current exotics are better than the new ones I get but I, along with everyone else, still plays on to upgrade the new exotic. I don't see how making us reupgrade everything validates getting the new ones. Seems like it's just pissing everyone off.

It doesn't validate getting the new ones, it makes the new ones a viable option to try out. Otherwise, the new gear just becomes an afterthought because it's not as viable initially and as people put more time into their current stuff over the new stuff it becomes less and less viable.

That's a strange way of looking at the situation. I poured hundreds of hours into maxing out my extensive inventory. If I buy the DLC, which I won't, that time has gone to waste. The utilitarian value of using those weapons gets nullified if you have to pour extra hours into remaxing them. I'd be devoting twice the time to leveling the same exact weapons, because of some arbitrary progress reset brought on by the DLC. PEACE.

Again, that's why the design of these games is referred to as a "treadmill." You put in a lot of effort but at the end you don't really go anywhere. The reward you get for doing it is a tangible increase in power. Some people like that. If you didn't have to work to increrase the power then there's no point in increasing the power. So you don't increase the power and instead, new stuff would be the same level as the old stuff. That's Horizontal Progression. But with Horizontal Progression, challenge is harder to create. People eat through content faster and thus content has to be provided faster to keep people engaged. It's a very difficult thing to accomplish.

NastyBook

Keep me posted. I'll need to start right around 10.

(Bladelaw) fadeddream
Filled
?

Still need one or two more. Normal mode stomp.
Did this raid fill up? I got you on my FL, faded. I got a Titan that can run it. You can invite me now if you're already setting up a squad. If you're full, invite me if somebody drops.

PSN: GibbShift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom