• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider

In a game like WoW, this type of change would be saved for a major expansion -- one that comes years after the release of the previous, not three months afterward."

*ding*

I've said this multiple times. The game is too grindy as is but too make us do it all over only 3 months after launch is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

It's so bad I literally just went ahead and bought another game tonight lol XD I preordered the expansion pack a while ago and totally regret it now. I will eventually play Destiny again to experience at least some of the content I paid for but I'm done for a bit.

And yea, the lack of communication by Bungie is crazy. It's the kinda stuff you have a weekly update for............

Shito

So, guys, now that the dust has settled a bit, let's think strategy.

As everyone pretty much deduced already, it's probably not useful trying to upgrade each one of our exotics. At least for weapons. Our main piece(s) of armor should be the first one to be upgraded, obviously, and along with that maybe one or two of our favorite weapons, but that is only a bonus. Only exception to the rule: Ice Breaker. Its main perk is unlocked from the start, so it makes no sense not upgrading it as soon as we can.

For the commendation thing, one should be careful about his reputation up until Tuesday. The best thing to do is to pump xp into factions up to the point where you are about to level it up, and then switch to another one / another character. That way we'll have a few commendations ready at launch.

Any other ideas?

I guess i will not play Destiny anymore this week / until the expansion hits next week, oh well, my backlog is huge anyway, will feel weird though, i played every single day since launch, but this news just burned me hard.

There´s absolutely nothing that the game could offer me now, and with those changes i don´t even know if i want to play The Dark Below anymore... maybe i´ll play the new missions, strikes, try the raid with my buds, and that´s it, i will not invest again so much effort and time in this game, it´s not worth it, i almost regret having bought the expansion pass.

Steroyd

As everyone pretty much deduced already, it's probably not useful trying to upgrade each one of our exotics. At least for weapons. Our main piece(s) of armor should be the first one to be upgraded, obviously, and along with that maybe one or two of our favorite weapons, but that is only a bonus. Only exception to the rule: Ice Breaker. Its main perk is unlocked from the start, so it makes no sense not upgrading it as soon as we can.

For the commendation thing, one should be careful about his reputation up until Tuesday. The best thing to do is to pump xp into factions up to the point where you are about to level it up, and then switch to another one / another character. That way we'll have a few commendations ready at launch.

Any other ideas?

I'm pretty much only going to accept and complete the 5k xp bounties till all my slots are filled with nothing but and not cash in, at least that way I'll have 150k xp to play between my 3 chars on day one, the Green notification is going to forever piss me off though.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Guess I'll have to trade those motes of light for exotic engrams this weekend
Xur will probably not sell Exotic Engrams anymore. It has been replaced by shards.

xur_upgrades.jpg

Jinjo

Any other ideas?

Finally play the other games I've bought but haven't played due to Destiny.

If commendations are like marks, they are bound to your character, so no alt-sharing there.

Initially I thought this would ruin the new Expansion from Day 1, but it will only really mean a difference for the new Raid, right?

PvP - Everyone will be using their current gear until they've got something new/better - Same as you

PvE - Well unless the new Strike and Story missions are Level 30 only, then our current Legendary (and Exotic) weapons will be absolutely fine right? And the same goes for our gear. And all the current in-game stuff will be fine too. The only thing that might be an issue is the Level 30 Nightfalls.

Or am I wrong?

I expect the new missions anand strikes to follow the same pattern as the main campaign. Base level will be like 19 to 20 with modifiers for higher levels. This supports the super casual who just plays through once and done. Higher level folks blow through it on the way to high level play lists or Weekly/Nightfall.

Nodnol

Any other ideas?

Yep, I'm thinking the same. I've slept on it, and have calmed down a bit (Destiny = serious business).

Unless we are hitting the HM TDB, we don't need weapons 300+.

Thus, priority is Exotic armor to help fill a Level 32 slot. Thing is, do we KNOW that it's going to be the same set up as VoG, IE Helmet in HM only? What if it's chest? Or arms?

Ice Breaker is the only exotic I use regularly. For weeks my set up has been VoC, IB and either HV or CM. So that's the one that will be "upgraded".

My plan at the moment is hold off on upgrading, but gather the necessary mats needed. I will be going after the new gear, before deciding what items I want carried over. Once more information and feedback is out, we should be able to judge what drops in the normal raid and how to supplement that with an exotic armor piece.

Steroyd

Xur will probably not sell Exotic Engrams anymore. It has been replaced by shards.

xur_upgrades.jpg

OH COME ON!

Please be fake, I want to at least roll the dice on RNGesus giving me upgraded versions of what I already have while using motes of light.

That would also make motes of light being even more irrelevant, srsly Bungie?

Bogeypop

I'd been stuck with a green Scout Rifle since level 18, and I couldn't get a better one for the life of me until I got this in a Tiger Strike a few hours after some kind GAFers basically carried me through Normal Vault of Glass. I'd begrudgingly used a Rare Auto Rifle I had despite favoring Scout Rifles since going for Precision Kills is more my playstyle. So between this, a really nice white shader (Chatterwhite), and a 30 Light (once fully upgraded) Legendary chestpiece. I'd say it was a good loot day, and I'm doing pretty well considering I've only been playing for 5 days.

Shito

I'm pretty much only going to accept and complete the 5k xp bounties till all my slots are filled with nothing but and not cash in, at least that way I'll have 150k xp to play between my 3 chars on day one, the Green notification is going to forever piss me off though.
That's a good plan as well.

If commendations are like marks, they are bound to your character, so no alt-sharing there.
Yeah, that's the one thing I'm waiting to know: is it character bound, or just a regular item? Either way, the plan still works: by nearly levelling up as much factions as possible, that's that much commendations to start with.
The only thing that would be bad would be if commendations couldn't stack... THAT would be a shitty move. ^^

My plan at the moment is hold off on upgrading, but gather the necessary mats needed.
Yes, people should stop upgrading gear right now, and wait a bit for the DLC to hit.
This will be especially hard to do if Xür finally sells omghorn tomorrow, though... :D

OH COME ON!

Please be fake, I want to at least roll the dice on RNGesus giving me upgraded versions of what I already have while using motes of light.

That would also make motes of light being even more irrelevant, srsly Bungie?

There's even space on that row for 1 more item. Do it Bungie.

Lima

Buy Exotic Engrams tomorrow, turf them in for Exotic Shards. I have 60+ Motes and will be doing exactly that.

They already said that Xur will start selling exotic shards this weekend. Now that they are so valuable you can be damn sure that he will not sell the exotic engram anymore and the shard will take its place.

ocean

Banned
I'm still gonna upgrade Fatebringer to 300 attack over the week. Who knows when I'll get an Arc primary to replace it. For Arc Burn or maybe Arc shielded Hive in the new Raid it'll potentially be better than a 323 attack weapon.

I'd been stuck with a green Scout Rifle since level 18, and I couldn't get a better one for the life of me until I got this in a Tiger Strike a few hours after some kind GAFers basically carried me through Normal Vault of Glass. I'd begrudgingly used a Rare Auto Rifle I had despite favoring Scout Rifles since going for Precision Kills is more my playstyle. So between this, a really nice white shader (Chatterwhite), and a 30 Light (once fully upgraded) Legendary chestpiece. I'd say it was a good loot day, and I'm doing pretty well considering I've only been playing for 5 days.
Very nice.
Get out while you can!

cilonen

I would hold on to it until Tuesday.
Unless they announce the same kind of thing they did with the legendary patch, downgrading all engrams to blues.

Yeah... I'm leaning towards holding it. It would be nice if they announced what they're going to do although fat chance of that after the exotic shard fiasco!

Meneses

One step forward, two steps back.

First, why not mention this crap when the upgrade hit on monday?

And I guess their gameplan continues to be "more grinding because our content is still limited". Shame.

It seems Bungie really doesn't want me to play their game. And I was actually happy with for the first time in ages when the update hit on monday.

Geneijin

No one seems to be talking about the commendation shit either. Cuz that SEEMs to mean that you can't even buy a legendary without grinding the rep of a vendor to the next level. So if you are grinding your marks up to max every week... Well fuck you still can't buy shit. Gotta grind that rep which takes an EXTREMELY long ass time. Maybe this was there way of convincing you to buy other worthless shit with your marks like sparrows and emblems. Man fuck all of this
Actually, what's worst is the new characters that will suffer from this.

New Legendary Gear
Existing Legendary gear on display in the Tower will be replaced
New Legendary gear will feature higher Attack and Defense values
Legendary items will still require Ascendant Materials for upgrades
This new, more powerful gear will be available to all players of Destiny
Legendary gear will not be as powerful as new Raid gear or Exotics

New Rank Commendations
In addition to Crucible or Vanguard Marks, purchasing new Legendary items will require a Crucible or Vanguard Commendation
Commendations are received in Reputation Reward Packages delivered by the Postmaster upon reaching a new Reputation Level

To summarize, every legendary gear currently available from vendors in the tower will be replaced with level 30 gear instead of level 28 gear behind a new progression system. Before, to get level 28 gear, leveling your reputation for Crucible or Vanguard to rank 2 to able to purchase armor was the best way to get to level 28 because there was no RNG. Each armor piece would cost 65 marks and 120 marks for a helmet, but it was possible to get legendary gloves, chest, and boots in 2 weeks with the 100 mark cap per week from dailies, public events, etc. Now, every legendary item purchase will require this commendation, or token, which can only be received in Reputation Reward Packages after leveling up Reputation. Bungie does not mention how often these tokens will drop. Moreover, all legendary items will be behind this token system. And finally, someone mentioned this earlier, but because there's a 100 mark cap per week, farming basic materials is now viable again... 30 marks is only good for 60 basic materials and that's barely enough to fully level one piece of gear.

New characters being made after the new patch are getting screwed. Better level those alts guys if you haven't already.

Hyun Sai

I'll still upgrade the weapons I use to the max. I don't plan to cripple myself when 300 atk will be more than enough until we talk about Hard Raid, and I won't be doing that in the first weeks, so I'll still be able to enjoy myself.

Actually, what's worst is the new characters that will suffer from this.

To summarize, every legendary gear currently available from vendors in the tower will be replaced with level 30 gear instead of level 28 gear behind a new progression system. Before, to get level 28 gear, leveling your reputation for Crucible or Vanguard to rank 2 to able to purchase armor was the best way to get to level 28 because there was no RNG. Each armor piece would cost 65 marks and 120 marks for a helmet, but it was possible to get legendary gloves, chest, and boots in 2 weeks with the 100 mark cap per week from dailies, public events, etc. Now, every legendary item purchase will require this commendation, or token, which can only be received in Reputation Reward Packages after leveling up Reputation. Bungie does not mention how often these tokens will drop. Moreover, all legendary items will be behind this token system. And finally, someone mentioned this earlier, but because there's a 100 mark cap per week, farming basic materials is now viable again... 30 marks is only good for 60 basic materials and that's barely enough to fully level one piece of gear.

New characters being made after the new patch are getting screwed. Better level those alts guys if you haven't already.

Have they said that one of these tokens are required for one piece of armour? So I need two pieces of 30 gear (I have Exotic helmet and Raid gloves), so that means two tokens i.e. two levels of Rep? Hmm Then you just buy them, or do they require Marks to buy too?

Geneijin

Have they said that one of these tokens are required for one piece of armour? So I need two pieces of 30 gear (I have Exotic helmet and Raid gloves), so that means two tokens i.e. two levels of Rep? Hmm Then you just buy them, or do they require Marks to buy too?
Yes. They confirmed it on Bungie.net. It's why I directly quoted their words.

Edit: It could be more because of how it's written in plurals, but eh... I have a hard time being faithful right now.

Edit2: You still need marks to buy the gear along with the tokens.

In addition to Crucible or Vanguard Marks, purchasing new Legendary items will require a Crucible or Vanguard Commendation

Geneijin

If you do need one commendation to buy one item, I sure as hell hope we'll be guaranteed a commendation for each reputation level.
Otherwise that would be dumb and slow as fuck...
It's why the ambiguous wording doesn't help.

Commendations are received in Reputation Reward Packages delivered by the Postmaster upon reaching a new Reputation Level
Commendations are received from Reputation Reward Packages.

Reputation Reward Packages are delivered by the Postmaster.

The Postmaster delivers Reputation Reward Packages upon reaching a new Reputation Level.

We'll see :lol

Commendations are received from Reputation Reward Packages.

Reputation Reward Packages are delivered by the Postmaster.

The Postmaster delivers Reputation Reward Packages upon reaching a new Reputation Level.

We'll see :lol

And each postmaster package is randomized. But surely they won't do this. Ofcourse it will be a certain reward for each package.

Right guys? Guys???

This is not what people meant when they said Bungie should put in a token system.

daedalius

The dumb kid edition will allow me to play through each of the new missions and the new strike at least once, but that is probably all the time it will get out of me.

Zoba on the last page is so right, Bungie apparently isn't looking at anything learned from MMOs (or MMO-lites) in the last 10 years, and just doing their own thing. Their plan for exotics is laughable, although my only exotic is bad juju and that thing is garbage, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Oh yea, and gating another Strike behind owning a PS4; 1 strike is totally enough for an 'expansion'... sigh

Yes. They confirmed it on Bungie.net. It's why I directly quoted their words.

Edit: It could be more because of how it's written in plurals, but eh... I have a hard time being faithful right now.

Edit2: You still need marks to buy the gear along with the tokens.

So uhh I should atleast grind
I mean upgrade
my exotic helmet first? and IB I guess..

noomi

I see all this talk of upgrading current exotic weapons, but how about exotic armor pieces, anything on that?

Replace reset with repeat and we have that title boys and girls. Dat Edge of Tommorrow. Man such a good movie that was.

basically the same but repeat makes the reference clearer so you're right, lol

movie was dope. one of the better movies i've seen this year. i haven't been to theater since july though.

Atkison04

I'm not sure what to think of all this yet.. On one hand, I'm glad that we can further upgrade our current exotics to keep up with the higher level content. I just can't help but think that them adding a new "circle" to fill up instead of wiping them all would have been so much better. That way all the grinding we did to level them up is not just thrown out the window. Bungie gave an awesome patch the took away the need for farming and replaced it with having to grind to relevel the exotics again. I will only re-upgrade the heavy hitters (g-horn, ice-breaker, thorn).

Has anything been said about what happens to the VOG raid weapons? Any chance to further upgrade our current legendary raid weapons to also keep up with the new content? I haven't heard. I saw other people asking if the Vex Mythoclast was to be included as one of the exotics that will get to advance further, but I imagine that none of us know at this point.

At this point, as much as it sucks, I'm okay with having to re-level "some" of my exotics. After all, we hand Xur our 300 weaps, he gives us a new one at 302 or 303 right? So technically better right out the gate, minus all the perks and that grind to get them all back. Bungie really should expedite the process to those of us that already fully leveled them though. I've spent a lot of time grinding bounties and using telementaries to upgrade my crap.

And what's up with leveling up the exotic gear further? If I'm sitting at 30 with my current exotic equipped, if I upgrade it with Xur is that enough to get me to a 31? Does anyone know?

Bungie, just add a new circle to upgrade instead of cleaning the slate. I don't care if it takes a week or two to upgrade it, feeling like you wasted your time leveling them up the first time sucks. Just let me have to fill that new circle with xp and feed it an exotic shard. I'll still play your new content with my newly higher leveled exotics without having to re-grind the same stuff again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom