• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking on Bungie.net on my characters

Hunter needs 151xp to level up a rank
Titan needs 611xp to level up a rank
Warlock needs 642 xp to level up a rank

How much does a weekly 28 give you? I haven't done them yet (but I have done the Nightfalls). Would be ideal to be as close to leveling up a Rank as possible on Tuesday.

Has anything been said about what happens to the VOG raid weapons? Any chance to further upgrade our current legendary raid weapons to also keep up with the new content? I haven't heard. I saw other people asking if the Vex Mythoclast was to be included as one of the exotics that will get to advance further, but I imagine that none of us know at this point.
From my understanding, keep in mind I quickly read things, the current raid weapons wont be upgraded. The primary weapons will still be useful due to their elemental properties till the new primary raid weapons become available...sometimes in January..

Schwabe

Looking on Bungie.net on my characters

Hunter needs 151xp to level up a rank
Titan needs 611xp to level up a rank
Warlock needs 642 xp to level up a rank

How much does a weekly 28 give you? I haven't done them yet (but I have done the Nightfalls). Would be ideal to be as close to leveling up a Rank as possible on Tuesday.

lvl 28 -> 500 rep-xp

So you can only get level 30 gear if you use tokens you get from levelling up vanguard or crucible as well as marks? As someone who hasn't been blessed by raid gear but levelled up vanguard a lot (it needs more xp each time, right?) I don't know if I can be bothered anymore. I enjoy the game and everything but I have a life outside of it

Midas

Guess I'll have to trade those motes of light for exotic engrams this weekend

Oh, that's a good idea. I have loooots. But is it really confirmed that Xûr won't have engrams? I know there's a picture floating around, but do we know that everything on there is set in stone?

Steroyd

Just logged into Destiny out of pure reflex.

Shut it down immediately to play TLoUR.

Feels weird.

Yeah once I get my bounty slots filled up and ready to cash in on Tuesday, I think I'll catch up on Tales of Xillia, got to give Destiny props for prising me from my RPG's for so long.

Speaking of bounties, anyone need help with the weeklies Nightfall or Heroic got 2 exotic bounties at that phase.

Deku Tree

http://www.bungie.net/7_The-Dark-Below-Preview/en/News/News?aid=12442

if you want your "old" exotics to do more than tickle crota, you have to spend an exotic shard to trade your gjallarhorn in for a new one with extra damage, and then level it up again.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...low-new-details-on-the-destiny-expansion.aspx

"You’ll need three things. First, you need to own the original version of that exotic item, and turn it in to exchange for the upgraded version. It doesn’t matter if this old version of the item is brand new or fully upgraded. To complete the upgrade, you’ll also need to turn in an exotic shard. This recently introduced new material is available for purchase for seven strange coins from Xur, or by breaking down another existing exotic item in your inventory. Finally, each exotic upgrade costs a hefty dose of cash – around 7000 glimmer as of my playthrough of the expansion in mid-November. After turning all three of these things into Xur, he’ll hand you a brand new version of your item with a higher defense or attack value cap.

It’s important to note that this process resets the upgrades on your exotic item, but you’ll now have a new higher damage or defense cap to work towards – so you’ll need to decide if you’d rather keep your fully upgraded old version of a weapon or armor piece, or start over. With that said, the process of upgrading exotic items is now faster, and does not require ascendant materials. Instead, the last slot requires one additional exotic shard, as revealed in Monday’s patch."

Bungie really should have allowed you to keep your unique upgrade perks for each upgraded weapon and have Xur bump your weapons attack value to 302 or something and then made it harder to get from 302 attack to 331 attack. People would have complained so much less. Hard to understand why they couldn't think of that.

void666

Banned
Today i'll uninstall destiny. Then i'll smash my ps4 with a hammer, burn the house and live the rest of my days as a hobo.

Thank you bungie. Thank you.

i just hope that our king the almighty gjallarhorn doesn't end its reign in the expansion, because not even the greatest bullet sponge of all time can withstand its might.

dGXsW1c.jpg

probably the fastest i've ever done this strike

Namikaze1

Today's schedule:

Beat Weekly heroic twice for coins

Exit Destiny

Play Dragon Age (or finally start Far Cry 4)

I'll hold off on trading in any exotics for a month or so.

Steroyd

What the hell is this levelling up vanguard and crucible to get new shit... Good grief, going to have to grind that to? Crucible took ages to get to level 3 ffs.

Bungie really should have allowed you to keep your unique upgrade perks for each upgraded weapon and have Xur bump your weapons attack value to 302 or something and then made it harder to get from 302 attack to 331 attack. People would have complained so much less. Hard to understand why they couldn't think of that.

Pretty much, the attack and defense rating isn't an immediate concern because that can level up through normal use, most of my fun with say the thorn is the poison rounds, or the Gjallahorns wolf pack both are at the tail end of their skill tree where they are just okay weapons until then.

Hell i'm now in a situation where I DON'T want Hawkmoon to drop for me now until next Tuesday, the fucked upness of that.

Atkison04

From my understanding, keep in mind I quickly read things, the current raid weapons wont be upgraded. The primary weapons will still be useful due to their elemental properties till the new primary raid weapons become available...sometimes in January..

That makes sense. I assume the old legendaries will still be useful in everything as usual but less so in the dlc, which is to be expected. Got to keep those carrots dangling to keep us chasing the newest and the best! I finally got fatebringer last night (the last raid weapon I wanted), so I'm still going to level it up. I'm not leveling any more exotics until all these changes take effect though.

Zakalwe

Banned
Escaping the city.

Tess asks Joel "What if they're right? We've come this far we may as well finish it!"

Joel is upset, obviously, he turns to Tess and says "Need I remind you what's out there?"

Tess glances at Ellie, back to Joel. Her eyes get sad. She looks into his and softly says "I get it."

No further explanation. We understand because we've been here from the start and the game respects us and doesn't treat us like idiots.

Makes me sad too.

phen0m24

I'm freaking conflicted.
OT12|Déja Vu All Over Again

I like logging in at night. I love running around in this game world with the likes of Deaf, Comms Harlan and Anubis and laughing it up till someone spits soda out of their nose.

I really enjoy running raids. As Hudson pointed out I'm always in them. Hawkian's group and our Wednesday Fun Run guys are as awesome as they come.

I'm here this morning sick again, home from work. I could play all day. Having no voice would make that tough, but doable.

Still thinking about what Bungie is doing though. They nerf, they patch exploits, they tell us we aren't playing "as intended." First they place no value on the way we play. What their player base told them helped make strategy (predictable teleports) they flushed down the drain and broke further. Single teleports, Praetorians regaining health.

Now they are not valuing the time I've played. I looked last night. I have well over 100 hours in this game. Well. Over. Some of that was amazing fun with friends. Much of it was mindless bounty completion to level weapons and gear.

Which is what they want me to do again? Again? Really?

I'm staring at Diablo 3, at Advanced Warfare. I haven't opened them! I haven't finished Mordor.

Bungie why the bleep are you doing stupid stuff to your player base over and freaking over again?

Whoever said an OT should be titled Stockholm Syndrome nailed it.

I love the social part more than I love the game at this point. :(

Jinjo

I'm freaking conflicted.

I like logging in at night. I love running around in this game world with the likes of Deaf, Comms Harlan and Anubis and laughing it up till someone spits soda out of their nose.

I really enjoy running raids. As Hudson pointed out I'm always in them. Hawkian's group and our Wednesday Fun Run guys are as awesome as they come.

I'm here this morning sick again, home from work. I could play all day. Having no voice would make that tough, but doable.

Still thinking about what Bungie is doing though. They nerf, they patch exploits, they tell us we aren't playing "as intended." First they place no value on the way we play. What their player base told them helped make strategy (predictable teleports) they flushed down the drain and broke further. Single teleports, Praetorians regaining health.

Now they are not valuing the time I've played. I looked last night. I have well over 100 hours in this game. Well. Over. Some of that was amazing fun with friends. Much of it was mindless bounty completion to level weapons and gear.

I'm staring at Diablo 3, at Advanced Warfare. I haven't opened them! I haven't finished Mordor.

Bungie why the bleep are you doing stupid stuff to your player base over and freaking over again?

Exactly. I have barely touched Dragon Age, Far Cry 4 and my newly bought Wii U. I love being part of Destiny GAF, it's so much fun. We had an epic Crota GAF night planned next week friday where two GAF teams would go in blind and stream their endeavors. Unfortunately we've already lost Ambitious in our team (still hoping you'll atleast run the raid with us), and who knows who else. :( Destiny was looking so awesome two days ago, now I am pondering myself if it's even worth the effort still.

House of Wolves is gonna be the exact same shit probably.

That makes sense. I assume the old legendaries will still be useful in everything as usual but less so in the dlc, which is to be expected. Got to keep those carrots dangling to keep us chasing the newest and the best! I finally got fatebringer last night (the last raid weapon I wanted), so I'm still going to level it up. I'm not leveling any more exotics until all these changes take effect though.
Fatebringer is such a great weapon and glad you got it! Just in time for it to slowly become worthless :(
I'm freaking conflicted.

Yeah the social aspect of the game is what kept me playing for as long as I did

Deku Tree

speaking of reddit (not mine):

"

The gear treadmill and why "clearly you've never played an MMO" is a misguided response to those upset by recent news

So I've been trying to put my finger on exactly what is so irritating about this patch to me -- someone who played WoW for 8 years, quite actively (well over a year of /played time), someone who should have (ostensibly) been prepared for this kind of gear reset.

Here's the thing: Destiny isn't WoW. As much as I might wish it were a lot more like WoW, it's being managed by a company with no experience in MMOs (or MMO-lite games, which is more accurate for Destiny) or loot-based games, and it's showing. There are a billion things that have been learned over the course of 15ish years of MMOs and 10 years of WoW that have been utterly ignored by Bungie in their development of Destiny, like RNG mitigation, social tools, and encounter design, but those really aren't the issue here.

The issue is that Bungie has an absolute metric buttload to learn about communication.

People keep comparing Destiny to games like WoW, saying that anyone who is surprised or shocked or frustrated with the latest news of exotic resets has clearly never played another MMO. Otherwise, obviously that person would understand the nature of the gear treadmill and that this was bound to happen. And sure, maybe it was.

But the difference between WoW (or nearly any other well-managed MMO) and Destiny is quite simply that Blizzard wouldn't make a change like this without:

a) forewarning the community in ample enough time to get feedback before implementation was a week away
b) ensuring the community didn't throw away invested time in something that was only going to last a week, or
c) releasing the information from the horse's mouth before it got out through a third-party like Game Informer.

News like this is pretty massive. In a game like WoW, this type of change would be saved for a major expansion -- one that comes years after the release of the previous, not three months afterward. Beyond that, the nature of the exotic change is quite a bit different from the nature of a gear reset in a traditional MMO. A gear reset in WoW typically changes very little of the basic playstyle of your character. You might lose a set bonus that makes one of your spells work slightly differently, or you might end up short of a haste breakpoint that slightly alters your optimal spell rotation. But generally speaking, a resto druid is going to play like a resto druid, regardless of what gear you're wearing or what weapon you're wielding. But in Destiny, guns dictate your playstyle far more than your subclass, or even your main class. The way you play with Thorn, for example, is utterly different from the way you play with Invective. Exotics, in particular, typically alter your playstyle in pretty noticeable ways. So when Bungie says, "oh btdubs, if you still want to use those guns you're going to have to turn them in for New Gun+ and then level them again," you're not experiencing the same feeling as going from 85 to 90 when Mists of Pandaria comes out. Bungie has just limited the options you have for different playstyles in the future -- and that is only considering the having-to-choose-which-exotics-to-relevel bit. That's not including the swath of Vanguard and Crucible and raid legendaries that will be falling to the wayside, into obsolescence, once you're doing hard mode content or Iron Banner next time around.

Will there be another gun similar to Vision of Confluence? Sure, but it won't be the same gun. Is Crota's End going to drop a legendary that feels like my 3-tube, Flared Magwell, Clown Cartridge Admonisher III? Maybe so, but I doubt I'll be lucky enough to end up with those same perks (RNGesus plz). The point is, Bungie dropped the ball, not just with this change, but with making sure the community knew what was going on ahead of time. Worse still, they released an update that would cause players to dismantle extra exotics and spend glimmer and materials and time upgrading current weapons, knowing full well that they were about to release an update that would render all of that effort null and void.

Other threads have popped up offering perfectly good solutions to this feeling of being shafted - just adding more bubbles to previous exotics, or making sure that only players with fully-upgraded exotics could exchange them for the new tier version. But Bungie didn't do those things, and there's really not enough time for them to make changes like that in the week before The Dark Below releases. Will it get fixed post-release? Maybe, but the damage has already been done. People have already invested Exotic Shards into guns and will now have to invest two more Exotic Shards into the new versions, when they could have just waited a week and saved a shard, and time, and glimmer.

The lesson here is that we can't trust Bungie. It hurts me to say that, but as of right now, I feel like playing this game at all is gambling that Bungie doesn't have a plan to wipe away my time investment in a week. And that's not something that's going to change after the expansion is released -- it's something that's going to last as long as we play this game.

But that's just it, isn't it? As long as we play this game. I fear, for a lot of people, that time has just run out.

TLW: Bungie needs to learn to communicate and stop making bass-ackward design decisions without taking care to inform the community (or worse, deliberately not inform them) first."

Truth. It seems like with this update Bungie is clearly saying that they put little to no thought into what effect their decisions would have on the people who spend the most time playing their game. We are not their target sales demographic right now.

I bought the digital guardian edition and I have been among the top posters in most of the OTs and I have a huge number of hours in Destiny. I don't feel cheated out of how much money I spent on the game. And I am going to play the CE raid next week... But if it isn't fantastic then that might be the last time I play destiny at least for a good while. I'll probably keep doing my regularly scheduled gaming sessions with my regular crews (don't worry friends) a few nights a week but maybe not much else.

Destiny is a video game, and there are a lot of games to play. I don't trust Bungie enough to invest the time in re-leveling all my gear only to have it be made necessary again just before house of wolves hits etc.

X-Frame

I think I decided to not upgrade any of my already maxed exotics at least for a month. Reason being: there is no point as there is no Hard Mode Raid until January where that higher Attack power will be more crucial. All the maxed or near-maxed exotics I have already should still be great for the Normal raid and anything below.

The only issue is Iron Banner, in which case I'll just use the DLC gear.

There is just not enough bounties and gear slots and time to re-level my existing exotics ontop of any DLC ones that I also come across. We will see if things change. I will likely trade in 1 not or barely touched exotic just to see how much "Bungie" it is, according to Bungie, now that we can use marks for mats.

Victrix

*beard*
I think I decided to not upgrade any of my already maxed exotics at least for a month.

Except even that isn't your choice. Under their current system, if Xur doesn't have the armor or weapon upgrades you want that week, well fuck you. And if you forget to check him the week he does, well fuck you.

I'll be stunned if their current implementation lasts, it's just amazingly hateful.

Temidien

Neo Member
My second Patience and Time dropped last night, scrapped it, used the Exotic Shard to upgrade my armor. Hit level 30. 152 hours into the game, I finally hit level 30.

RNGesus be praised!

attachment.php

Except even that isn't your choice. Under their current system, if Xur doesn't have the armor or weapon upgrades you want that week, well fuck you. And if you forget to check him the week he does, well fuck you.

I'll be stunned if their current implementation lasts, it's just amazingly hateful.

Yup, which is a kick in the teeth imo.

X-Frame

You're right, damnit. I keep forgetting that part. Ugh.

Agreed, although from a development point of view I can't see it being changed very quickly.

I can't believe on Monday we got that update for our Exotics that was really welcome and well received, yet it was the biggest shit sandwich of all time. They knew what the other nasty change was that they were going to announce, yet they introduced this first and allowed people to waste precious Exotic shards on upgrading weapons that - within a week - need another shard to get reset.

It's cunty.

What's Diablo 3 like on PS4? Is all this bullshit fixed now since the game is a few years old? :D

Victrix

*beard*
What's Diablo 3 like on PS4? Is all this bullshit fixed now since the game is a few years old? :D

Yes actually, it's amazing now.

I actually wrote up a response with specifics from both Diablo 3 and wows latest expac but deleted it. It boils down to 'Blizzard is doing some good stuff right now'.

D3 is great, go play and enjoy a game that is happy to throw piles of awesome gear at you constantly and doesn't care how much ass you kick or how you kick it, you're free to do so at any pace you want to.

What the hell is this levelling up vanguard and crucible to get new shit... Good grief, going to have to grind that to? Crucible took ages to get to level 3 ffs.

Pretty much, the attack and defense rating isn't an immediate concern because that can level up through normal use, most of my fun with say the thorn is the poison rounds, or the Gjallahorns wolf pack both are at the tail end of their skill tree where they are just okay weapons until then.

Hell i'm now in a situation where I DON'T want Hawkmoon to drop for me now until next Tuesday, the fucked upness of that.

If you want a Hawkmoon, and it drops today, it'll only cost you 7 coins to upgrade it with the expansion. That's not much, and you have the added benefit of knowing the xp you put in it won't transfer.

I'm having a hard time understanding the complete meltdown people are having over this. Not saying their thoughts and feelings are wrong, I just don't share them. I really hope people don't quit the game over something like this, because this is an awesome community and has made my experience with the game a great one.

My feelings are that if you have a maxed 300 exotic, it'll most likely be useful for every content in the expansion except the hard raid. I mean, we're going in to the new raid Tuesday as 29-30s, with the guns we currently have, and I don't think our troubles will be from being underleveled or not having weapons with more attack power. After more is known about the next raid, you can then make the decision if you want to re-level a weapon or not (and still keep your 300 level weapon, which will have it's uses). Lets say you find that in this next raid, machine guns are more valuable than rocket launchers. It might be more important for you then to upgrade Thunderlord instead of your Gjallerhorns. Maybe there's new exotics in the DLC that you'll like more than the ones you've been running with for months.

I can't see it as anything but fair. They're not taking anything away from me. I get the option to upgrade what I have, if I think it'll be worth it. I love my P&T, but I know I only use it for arc burns. Unless it crushes in the raid, I'm not going to upgrade it. I don't feel like I'm leaving any exotics behind, since I still have them and they all can have some use.

LiK

Today's schedule:

Beat Weekly heroic twice for coins

Exit Destiny

Play Dragon Age (or finally start Far Cry 4)

I'll hold off on trading in any exotics for a month or so.

Dragon Age arrived last night.

Agreed, although from a development point of view I can't see it being changed very quickly.

I can't believe on Monday we got that update for our Exotics that was really welcome and well received, yet it was the biggest shit sandwich of all time. They knew what the other nasty change was that they were going to announce, yet they introduced this first and allowed people to waste precious Exotic shards on upgrading weapons that - within a week - need another shard to get reset.

It's cunty.

D3 for consoles are superior mainly because of gamepad support and the sweet dodge roll. You don't get that with PC.

The reaction to the information about the exotics is just funny. Would you rather they just make the exotics be shittier and shittier the more expansions they put out? Atleast you have an option now to keep using your favorite guns.

In Diablo 2 the unique items became shit when they released the expansion. This system might not be perfect, but atleast I'll be able to use my Thorn and my Truth. I wish you didn't have to unlock all the special perks though. The damage nodes would be enough.

LiK

Enjoy, this game has a story and it's pretty decent!

I need to make sure all my previous choices are correct before I start. It's been years so I don't remember a lot of the side stuff in previous games. Probably gonna skim through a LP this weekend and try to remember my choices lol.

Man that exotic news killed all my motivation to play. Gonna finally go play dragon age for the next few weeks. Aside from doing the nightfalls each week, there's not much draw anymore. Raid hasn't dropped shit for any of my characters lately and shards are basically useless now. Maybe once they patch some of this nonsense I'll be back :/

E92 M3

Today is the update and I expect story time with nothing substantial. Would be nice if they admitted fault and say that the system will change to not be against players that have invested time.

It's a huge negative for me that Bungie doesn't respect our time at all. Can't name any other developer that is so blatant with that.

Today is the update and I expect story time with nothing substantial. Would be nice if they admitted fault and say that the system will change to not be against players that have invested time.

It's a huge negative for me that Bungie doesn't respect our time at all. Can't name any other developer that is so blatant with that.

How not to say anything relevant in Bungie updates:

• Patch - 2 weeks: "We're working on an update, news soon ;)"
  • Patch - 1 week: "A patch is coming next week, stay tuned for the patch notes"
  • Patch day - *Actual patch notes*
  • Patch + 1 week: "So yeah, we've just released a patch, we hope you enjoy it, meanwhile, read my fanfiction about the last raid I've done with randoms! By the way, don't forget to see us at (Insert gaming event that only a few dozen people in the US will be able to attend). Give us your feedback, it's really important for us, also our next DLC will be fucking awesome"

Got discharged from the hospital yesterday and I'm still somewhat sluggish, still managed to do Nightfall with 2 friends. My finals are coming next week so I'd like to get a HM Raid in before both the expansion and those exams drop, and I'd like to do it with DGAF peeps :p. Anyone down to go into the VoG for a quick run? Reply here and I'll put the team together, once we have 6:

1-blewjayy (me) - warlock lvl 30
2-
3-
4-
5-
6-

Deku Tree

You're lucky they let you upgrade them at all.

Lolz. If they didn't let you upgrade them the game would only have five (six on PS) relevant DLC exotics. Or people would just have to wait until RNG blessed them a second time with a new drop of the same gun with higher star values... Sounds like fantastic game design.

phen0m24

Thanks for the shout outs! Don't go leavin on me

Dude I'm squarely in the "time sunk" camp and the game play is fun. It is infinitely more fun with friends, but sitting here at well, you know #Forever29 knowing I have to acquire 30 gear first, THEN level it, then make these agonizingly painstaking decisions:

Crap. Do I have enough coins, shards and glimmer to upgrade:

Gjallarhorn 100% maxed
had to. Just had to
Mythoclast 95% maxed
Thorn 90% maxed
Truth 95% maxed
Patience and Time 100% maxed
Regime 100% maxed
Mida 85% maxed
TLW 40% maxed

Long story short? That's a lot of freaking Exclusion Zone/Weeklies and bounties again.

The Pokémon angle can't be ignored. We want
all
our guns to have max attack. Duh. We all have "max-attack" OCD and we know it. But this
time
cost is too great.

It. Just. Is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom