• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reaction to the information about the exotics is just funny. Would you rather they just make the exotics be shittier and shittier the more expansions they put out? Atleast you have an option now to keep using your favorite guns.

In Diablo 2 the unique items became shit when they released the expansion. This system might not be perfect, but atleast I'll be able to use my Thorn and my Truth. I wish you didn't have to unlock all the special perks though. The damage nodes would be enough.

I keep seeing this idea that you should expect expansions to invalidate current gear, but how long was it between expansions? I just got VoC this week, and next week it will be sub par.I never had the chance to enjoy it. Hell, I've been to busy leveling up everything for the expansion to really have fun with any one item. Some of the exotic armor I have I never equip because doing so means I need to use a vanilla legendary and drop back to a 28 which isn't a viable level to do hard and get the helmet that I need to be 30 with said exotic.

IMO, it's just too soon.

The reaction to the information about the exotics is just funny. Would you rather they just make the exotics be shittier and shittier the more expansions they put out? Atleast you have an option now to keep using your favorite guns.

In Diablo 2 the unique items became shit when they released the expansion. This system might not be perfect, but atleast I'll be able to use my Thorn and my Truth. I wish you didn't have to unlock all the special perks though. The damage nodes would be enough.

I wouldn't say funny.... Spending countless bounties/ass shards and in some people's cases exotic shards to max multiple exotics is not funny. Wiping out the hardwork people put into stuff is not funny. Having the expansion release three months after the release of full game and still wiping the progress of people is not funny. Basing the upgrades on 7K glimmer AND another exotic shard coupled with Xur's RNG ain't funny.

I don't see this as anything other than Bungie scrèwing over their community pretending thier game is something it ain't. People paying £35 for this is ridiculous. If the argument is 'well it's better than the alternative' then I don't even know what to say.

Nodnol

I'm so torn between playing, and just waiting till next week. I'm all in anyway...

I just have remember that my current gear isn't redundant till January, and by then I will hopefully have new gear anyway.

phen0m24

As an aside?

Anyone going to the event in Vegas? Might not be a bad time to get in somebody's ear.
assuming they would listen

You know what? I think I can deal with weapon progress resets. What I cannot deal with is having to do it through Xur. The guy who's offered Sunbreakers 4/12 weeks and Voidfang Vestments 6/12 weeks. And *never* offering Praxic Fire. Or only offering Gjallarhorn once. That's why this system isn't "elective". You *have* to upgrade when Xur gives you the option or else you'll miss out. Or never be able to upgrade it because Xur won't let you.

I keep seeing this idea that you should expect expansions to invalidate current gear, but how long was it between expansions? I just got VoC this week, and next week it will be sub par.I never had the chance to enjoy it. Hell, I've been to busy leveling up everything for the expansion to really have fun with any one item. Some of the exotic armor I have I never equip because doing so means I need to use a vanilla legendary and drop back to a 28 which isn't a viable level to do hard and get the helmet that I need to be 30 with said exotic.

IMO, it's just too soon.

VoC will be useful until the new raid weapons drop in January. I haven't heard how upgrading exotic armor works, but I would assume you wouldn't lose light levels, so it might even be easier to upgrade all of your alternate gear. I could be completely wrong though.

I wouldn't say funny.... Spending countless bounties/ass shards and in some people's cases exotic shards to max multiple exotics is not funny. Wiping out the hardwork people put into stuff is not funny. Having the expansion release three months after the release of full game and still wiping the progress of people is not funny. Basing the upgrades on 7K glimmer AND another exotic shard coupled with Xur's RNG ain't funny.

I don't see this as anything other than Bungie scrèwing over their community pretending thier game is something it ain't. People paying £35 for this is ridiculous. If the argument is 'well it's better than the alternative' then I don't even know what to say.

They're not wiping your progress, they're giving you an opportunity to upgrade if that's what you want to do. 300 weapons are still going to be useful for most of the content.

Zakalwe

Banned
Why do some think that allowing us to upgrade old gear excuses the fact they chose one of the worst designs possible?

At this point it should be pretty clear we're not averse to grind.

Repeating the exact same grind we've already been through is the issue.

Constantly baffled that some don't understand this.

How not to say anything relevant in Bungie updates:

• Patch - 2 weeks: "We're working on an update, news soon ;)"
  • Patch - 1 week: "A patch is coming next week, stay tuned for the patch notes"
  • Patch day - *Actual patch notes*
  • Patch + 1 day: Community posts the actual list of changes
  • Patch + 1 week: "So yeah, we've just released a patch, we hope you enjoy it, meanwhile, read my fanfiction about the last raid I've done with randoms! By the way, don't forget to see us at (Insert gaming event that only a few dozen people in the US will be able to attend). Give us your feedback, it's really important for us, also our next DLC will be fucking awesome"

Fixed

And that's why people are complaining. Having to invest time to bring exotics to the new standard seems reasonable. Starting from scratch does not.

Besides, I don't think Diablo's loot system an Destiny's are really comparable.

You know what? I think I can deal with weapon progress resets. What I cannot deal with is having to do it through Xur. The guy who's offered Sunbreakers 4/12 weeks and Voidfang Vestments 6/12 weeks. And *never* offering Praxic Fire. Or only offering Gjallarhorn once. That's why this system isn't "elective". You *have* to upgrade when Xur gives you the option or else you'll miss out. Or never be able to upgrade it because Xur won't let you.

This is the one part I disagree with. If you have an exotic shard, you should be able to upgrade any of your exotics. Having 2 days a week where you can upgrade your stuff, and only what he chooses to bring that week, is garbage.

They're not wiping your progress, they're giving you an opportunity to upgrade if that's what you want to do. 300 weapons are still going to be useful for most of the content.

And I can't see how resetting the weapon DOESN'T count as 'wiping progress'....

Ourobolus

Banned
So I think at this point the only exotics I'm going to max before the DLC hits are going to be any armor pieces I need to get to 29/30, so like 3 of them, max. Just doesn't feel like it's worth it to do anything else.

No further explanation. We understand because we've been here from the start and the game respects us and doesn't treat us like idiots..

You didn't have a PS3 right, so this is your first play through? Great game and the MP is actually a lot of fun especially if you can find a decent group, lots of strategy and teamwork involved.

I love the social part more than I love the game at this point. :(

Yeah, no question that has been the saving grace even since the beginning considering how thin the main content is. Working together on raids and pvp matches is a blast though.

I'm having a hard time understanding the complete meltdown people are having over this.

My feelings are that if you have a maxed 300 exotic, it'll most likely be useful for every content in the expansion except the hard raid.

I can't see it as anything but fair. They're not taking anything away from me..

1.) People are upset, but nobody is having a meltdown.
2.) We don't know yet what level all of the story missions and strikes will go up to, and I'm not positive but my understanding is that Lv30 NFs and Weeklies would also benefit from higher attack and defense ratings. The next Iron Banner/Trials of Osiris will definitely benefit from the higher ratings.
3.) For some people like myself, the high level raiding and Iron Banner are the sole attractions. That means there are A LOT of exotics I want maxed for these activities.
4.) They released the update Monday and didn't communicate jack until people had already wasted a lot of exotic shards, XP, glimmer, etc.
5.) They are taking something away: the time spent maxing exotics (no, the time I've spent using them now doesn't offset this), the unique perks when you reset, and the freedom to re-level exotics on our own schedule since it depends on Xur and nobody will want to pass up an opportunity to re-level something since we don't know when he'll bring it back especially with all his repeat inventory so far.
6.) It sets a terrible precedent for any expansion going forward.

Of course its not the end of the world but "anything but fair" is a major stretch imo. My plan is to do the new content, then put it to rest until expansion 2 hits. I'll still buy stuff/reset stuff with Xur but I'm not doing the grind again if it's all going to reset again in a couple months.

"It could be worse!" is the only defense people have for this, and its an incredibly flimsy one. Diablo 2 was released 14 years ago.

ocean

Banned
They are wiping your progress because having worked to reach 300/300 will be meaningless. Meaning:

I got Ice Breaker and grinded to hell and back to fully upgrade it. Phew, that was a lot of work but it's worth it. Now I use 7 Strange Coins to get a new upgrade to reach 302 attack. I lost my perks but I'll get them back, and an even higher attack stat.

You got Ice Breaker and never bothered to upgrade it. You use 7 Strange Coins and skip all the upgrading I had done and skip right on to 302 attack.

Basically it's resetting all our pre-DLC progress on Exotics because whether you'd upgraded or not makes no difference. Hundreds of thousands of XP done for nothing. This kind of shit would make sense if we had profited from our top-tier weapon for a longer time but 3 months hardly counts.

Dave_6

Fresh Normal Mode Raid

1. GibbShift
2. DaveS78
3. GhostFaceDon
4. rayuma
5. ArkkAngel007

Got one spot left. First to quote gets in.

Thanks for getting this together last night! Was a good run and I got Atheon's Epilogue, which I didn't have yet. I'm off for the next four days and would like to run a hard raid for the first time if anyone is interested!

VoC will be useful until the new raid weapons drop in January. I haven't heard how upgrading exotic armor works, but I would assume you wouldn't lose light levels, so it might even be easier to upgrade all of your alternate gear. I could be completely wrong though.

I don't know, maybe. But I don't really feel like spending the time or mats to level it if it will be sharded in a month. I think the Mythoclast (especially if Xur feels like having it in the upgrade inventory) will be a much better choice for a solar primary.

WipedOut

I am one exotic shard away from finishing up upgrading Thunderlord, thank god I didn't spend it yet. What I'm mad about is the Voidfang, Helm of Saint 14 and Ahamkara's Spine dupes I broke down the morning before they announced the new way to upgrade exotics.

SP17

Got discharged from the hospital yesterday and I'm still somewhat sluggish, still managed to do Nightfall with 2 friends. My finals are coming next week so I'd like to get a HM Raid in before both the expansion and those exams drop, and I'd like to do it with DGAF peeps :p. Anyone down to go into the VoG for a quick run? Reply here and I'll put the team together, once we have 6:

1-blewjayy (me) - warlock lvl 30
2-
3-
4-
5-
6-

Im up for it with ya, psn is arrosev lvl 30 warlock

Zakalwe

Banned
You didn't have a PS3 right, so this is your first play through? Great game and the MP is actually a lot of fun especially if you can find a decent group, lots of strategy and teamwork involved.

I borrowed a friend's ps3 just to play it.

This is my second time through. Hadn't played Left Behind so I did that first. Incredibly intelligent addition with a very touching story, made me want to show people who have no interest in video games the brilliance that can be achieved within the medium. Seriously gushing.

Playing through the main game now on Grounded. Feels like the mode the game was made for. No super power hearing and extremely limited resources make for incredibly tense encounters with Dark Souls levels of problem solving.

It's just great.

Going to finish the campaign then explore the MP for sure. Do you play it?

realcZk

I still think the best solution to the upgrade exotics would be as follows:

Assuming a maxed out exotic, once upgraded via Xur, the last three damage circles are cleared out. Weapon damage stays at 300. Players have to re-fill the last damage circles that will bring their guns from 300 to 31X, 323, 331 respectively. Bungie could make the last three circles take more than the usual XP to grind, I don't care. I just don't think you should clear someone's exotic perks/builds/etc out when there's really no need to do this. I understand the reason for the grind, just not how it was executed. Feels really lazy.

Anyone for 28 weekly on PS4? Hit me @ WallachGAF

I can join on in a minute, PSN is drdrizzay101. Switching a couple weapons real quick.

This is my second time through. Hadn't played Left Behind so I did that first. Incredibly intelligent addition with a very touching story, made me want to show people who have no interest in video games the brilliance that can be achieved within the medium. Seriously gushing.

Playing through the main game now on Grounded. Feels like the mode the game was made for. No super power hearing and extremely limited resources make for incredibly tense encounters with Dark Souls levels of problem solving.

It's just great.

Yeah, I was the same with Left Behind. Completely agree with everything else you said about the game and the medium. "No super power hearing" is a great improvement, that was always so strange. I haven't played the MP since... some other game was released... but I played it enough to get both trophies for it (and played some on PS3 before that). I would definitely play some again if you ended up enjoying it.

Midas

I'm with a few of you. The only thing I'll do with Destiny will be to level up my hunter to level 30. But no exotic grinding at all. Thanks Bungie. Hopefully the servers won't be fucked come Tuesday.

Have we heard anything on when the expansion will be live? Is it at the daily reset or later? Would be nice to get some kind of confirmation. I took the day off, but if it's not until 10 PDT or so, I'd rather work that day.

ocean

Banned
I don't know, maybe. But I don't really feel like spending the time or mats to level it if it will be sharded in a month. I think the Mythoclast (especially if Xur feels like having it in the upgrade inventory) will be a much better choice for a solar primary.
Luckily the Mythoclast doesn't need Xûr. After the patch the other day it's already a 323 attack weapon. It's the only one we have right now so anybody that has one should probably focus on maxing it as it's the only ungimped Exotic out there. Better make it 323 before Bungie decides to re-nerf it or something.

I still think the best solution to the upgrade exotics would be as follows:

Assuming a maxed out exotic, once upgraded via Xur, the last three damage circles are cleared out. Weapon damage stays at 300. Players have to re-fill the last damage circles that will bring their guns from 300 to 31X, 323, 331 respectively. Bungie could make the last three circles take more than the usual XP to grind, I don't care. I just don't think you should clear someone's exotic perks/builds/etc out when there's really no need to do this. I understand the reason for the grind, just not how it was executed. Feels really lazy.
This is simple, clean, and would bother nobody. It is fair. I thus have no hope of it being implemented.

Karl2177

How not to say anything relevant in Bungie updates:

• Patch - 2 weeks: "We're working on an update, news soon ;)"
  • Patch - 1 week: "A patch is coming next week, stay tuned for the patch notes"
  • Patch day - *Actual patch notes*
  • Patch + 1 week: "So yeah, we've just released a patch, we hope you enjoy it, meanwhile, read my fanfiction about the last raid I've done with randoms! By the way, don't forget to see us at (Insert gaming event that only a few dozen people in the US will be able to attend). Give us your feedback, it's really important for us, also our next DLC will be fucking awesome"

Hate to lay the blame on 1 person, but this is all DeeJ. There are other people that give far better information than him.

rNilla

Guardians are Grey Wardens fighting the Blight which is the Darkness.

The Reapers are the true enemy. What do you think is really lurking at the bottom of the Hellmouth? And just wait until you get to the end of Inquisition.

I've said too much...

Tawpgun

I had friends ask to do the raid... But honestly I don't feel like it anymore with the new one around the corner.

Just to be clear, VoG weapons, minus mythoclast, will be obsolete once TDB hits right? I only need Fatebringer but what's the point in getting it if I can buy a vanguard HC with a higher attack?

Namikaze1

Dragon Age arrived last night.
enjoy it. I'm already on my second playthrough. I put nearly 100 hours into my first one. I so far put nearly 20 into my second one. It's great. Main story is short but the areas are huge. The biggest in the series yet. I recommend taking your time, read all the war room mission briefs and you advisors' advice carefully as quite many of them lead to different results depending on who you send. And use the date/time cheat to get those done fast and see of you like the result. It's what I do. You just basically change the time and date on your system and that's it you will get those war room missions that takes hours done in under a minute. Always check your enemies level. Don't face any enemy that are much higher level than you unless you're just two levels below theirs. Trust me, you'll come across level 12 enemies in the first area when you're just level 4-6. Avoid them till 10. As for Inquisition perks, get all that gives you more conversation options, the Deft Hands perk, and any that involve healing potions and such. Avoid schematics, shop discounts, etc cause you really don't need those. And keep a tank character with you at all times. Let them take the heavy brunt of enemies' attacks. They can handle it.

Shito

They are wiping your progress because having worked to reach 300/300 will be meaningless. Meaning:

I got Ice Breaker and grinded to hell and back to fully upgrade it. Phew, that was a lot of work but it's worth it. Now I use 7 Strange Coins to get a new upgrade to reach 302 attack. I lost my perks but I'll get them back, and an even higher attack stat.

You got Ice Breaker and never bothered to upgrade it. You use 7 Strange Coins and skip all the upgrading I had done and skip right on to 302 attack.

Basically it's resetting all our pre-DLC progress on Exotics because whether you'd upgraded or not makes no difference. Hundreds of thousands of XP done for nothing. This kind of shit would make sense if we had profited from our top-tier weapon for a longer time but 3 months hardly counts.
To be fair: Ice Breaker is probably the worst example you could have used. ^^
If the upgraded exotics really do start over at 302 attack, an unlevelled upgraded Ice Breaker is nearly better than a fully vanilla one. ^^ Its main perk doesn't have to be unlocked.
For all the other ones, though, you are right.

I wonder how armors will work. If they somehow manage to make it so you stay at the same light level when upgrading them, this could work nicely...

coy

I went to sleep at 10PM last night. Unless I was piss drunk, I have not slept before midnight since this game's release. I'm still in for the expansion but the realization that Bungie does not respect my time stings deep. Even if no changes occur before the DLC drops, I hope by the time the next one does, a lesson will be learned on their end, mainly about communication and the way their fanbase should be treated.

I had an hour before work to play but chose to sleep more then post this. Sucks.

LiK

Do ascendant shards only come into play once we get Exotic gear? Trying to upgrade my Light and have a couple of Rare items with Light maxed out but I'm still stuck at 20.

Now the real Destiny begins.

ass shards don't matter for exotics anymore.

It's just great.

Hah, it was the same for me. Such a well made game. I got the platinum for both PS3 and PS4, that's how much I enjoyed it.

Also, after going from Grounded to Normal to finish getting collectibles, I was drowning in resources :lol. It also made me forget there was a listening mode in the MP for a while....

Imagine if Destiny had even a 10th of the story. :( It's like Bungie decided they could only sell their game to morons, and still playing it after all the shit they pull, I kind of feel like one.

Namikaze1

I had to forced myself to play through just 1 weekly heroic just now. I don't even feel like running it again on my Hunter. What's wrong with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom