• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Banned
To be fair: Ice Breaker is probably the worst example you could have used. ^^
If the upgraded exotics really do start over at 302 attack, an unlevelled upgraded Ice Breaker is nearly better than a fully vanilla one. ^^ Its main perk doesn't have to be unlocked.
For all the other ones, though, you are right.

I wonder how armors will work. If they somehow manage to make it so you stay at the same light level when upgrading them, this could work nicely...

Right, that's the point though. I worked a lot, you didn't. You spend 7 Strange Coins and your weapon skips through all my work and goes straight to a higher attack level. Meaning I upgraded it fully just so I could have a better weapon for a few weeks? But now that's meaningless and we have the same thing? It's a slap in the face.

realcZk

I went to sleep at 10PM last night. Unless I was piss drunk, I have not slept before midnight since this game's release. I'm still in for the expansion but the realization that Bungie does not respect my time stings deep. Even if no changes occur before the DLC drops, I hope by the time the next one does, a lesson will be learned on their end, mainly about communication and the way their fanbase should be treated.

I had an hour before work to play but chose to sleep more then post this. Sucks.

Heh, sleep is always good. I never get enough. I'll agree with you on the news, it's really going to put a damper on my playtime this week/weekend, since the XP isn't going to "matter" when the DLC launches. I'm getting my characters to high vanguard/crucible ranks so they are about to roll over to a new rank (for DLC commendations), and waiting till the DLC to do so. The majority of my exotic weapons are already maxed out, and the lesser weapons I won't bother until after the DLC, hoping I can get an upgraded version from Xur right off the bat and save me some time.

Temidien

Neo Member
Guardians are Grey Wardens fighting the Blight which is the Darkness.

No, no, no. Guardians/Jedi/Grey Wardens/Men of the Wall are a small, dedicated group of warriors defending Earth/a universe far, far away/Thedas/Westeros from an ill-defined confederation of evil known as The Darkness/The Dark Side/The Blight/White Walkers.

E92 M3

How not to say anything relevant in Bungie updates:

• Patch - 2 weeks: "We're working on an update, news soon ;)"
  • Patch - 1 week: "A patch is coming next week, stay tuned for the patch notes"
  • Patch day - *Actual patch notes*
  • Patch + 1 week: "So yeah, we've just released a patch, we hope you enjoy it, meanwhile, read my fanfiction about the last raid I've done with randoms! By the way, don't forget to see us at (Insert gaming event that only a few dozen people in the US will be able to attend). Give us your feedback, it's really important for us, also our next DLC will be fucking awesome"

That narrative needs to change so badly.

I hit 29 last night, which is nice
Got Light/Beware from the Nightfall

That's a nice fusion rifle. What perks?

Do ascendant shards only come into play once we get Exotic gear? Trying to upgrade my Light and have a couple of Rare items with Light maxed out but I'm still stuck at 20.

Now the real Destiny begins.

Ascendant Shards -> Legendary Armour
Ascendent Energy -> Legendary Weapons
Exotic Shards -> Exotic Weapons and Armour

Have a look see at Hawkian's guides in the OP and that'll see you right, basically you'll push to 24 on rares via Strike playlists (+ an exotic if you're lucky or have the coins for Xur) then you'll be trying to get to 26 to try and get the mats for upgrading that legendary gear (you should have enough marks + rep for some legendary gear from all the strikes).

Best idea though read Hawkian's guides much better than I've explained it (they're what got me to 29)

ocean

Banned
as in Exotics don't use ass of any kind for upgrades after the update this week. it's easier.

Not sure easier is the right term. You come by a ton of Legendary weapons and ascendant materials via Nightfalls, reputation rewards, the Vault of Glass, Daily Heroic mission etc. The Exotic shard requires sharding an Exotic, which we don't do all too often, or using nearly an entire week's Weekly Strange Coin haul (7 coins when you can only earn a guaranteed 9 per week).

Jaeyden

It took me 37 raid clears to finally get a pair of gloves for any of my characters. 37!!

The kicker...I got 3 pairs all in that one raid. FML - knew it was going to happen considering I grinded out Iron Banner and had new gloves on my chars anyway.

Have a look see at Hawkian's guides in the OP and that'll see you right, basically you'll push to 24 on rares via Strike playlists (+ an exotic if you're lucky or have the coins for Xur) then you'll be trying to get to 26 to try and get the mats for upgrading that legendary gear (you should have enough marks + rep for some legendary gear from all the strikes).

Best idea though read Hawkian's guides much better than I've explained it (they're what got me to 29)

Thanks so much! Reading now.

One other question, what is the benefit of the Sunringer subclass? I know my supercharge reduces grenade cooldown and my melee is better, but I kind of miss the Novabomb. Sunringer isn't fully upgraded yet, but I don't see much benefit like I've heard.

spyder_ur

So how's the mood in here this morning?

I'm not as upset as some about the exotic rerolls, although certainly better solutions have been proposed in this thread alone.

My three big concerns/issues/questions:

1) What is the light level on upgraded exotic armor and new legendary armor? What is my path to 30?

2) I just really don't get the commendation thing. I really don't understand it - it's such an artificial gate to progress that we've already grinded towards. This one bugs me, but we can see how it works in practice.

3) So sad to see the existing Legendaries, even raid legendaries, go by the wayside. Some of my favorite guns need to be renamed. Lord Low Fixer. Shadow "will sell for any" Price. Defective Measure. The Devil You Don't Care About Anymore. Vision of Indifference. Semifinal Boss. I guess Exodus Plan works as is.

Not sure easier is the right term. You come by a ton of Legendary weapons and ascendant materials via Nightfalls, reputation rewards, the Vault of Glass, Daily Heroic mission etc. The Exotic shard requires sharding an Exotic, which we don't do all too often, or using nearly an entire week's Weekly Strange Coin haul (7 coins when you can only earn a guaranteed 9 per week).

There's still a lot of people who've never even set foot in the VoG, so for them it's probably easier to upgrade an exotic. Before doing the hard raid, ass mats were actually pretty hard to come by if my memory serves me right. I certainly wasn't drowning in them like I am now.

LiK

One other question, what is the benefit of the Sunringer subclass? I know my supercharge reduces grenade cooldown and my melee is better, but I kind of miss the Novabomb. Sunringer isn't fully upgraded yet, but I don't see much benefit like I've heard.

depends on your playstyle. stick with the subclass you like better. but it's a good idea to max them both out so you can switch depending on the situations.

There's still a lot of people who've never even set foot in the VoG, so for them it's probably easier to upgrade an exotic. Before doing the hard raid, ass mats were actually pretty hard to come by if my memory serves me right. I certainly wasn't drowning in them like I am now.

yea, the raids were the main source of ass I got.

Shito

Right, that's the point though. I worked a lot, you didn't. You spend 7 Strange Coins and your weapon skips through all my work and goes straight to a higher attack level. Meaning I upgraded it fully just so I could have a better weapon for a few weeks? But now that's meaningless and we have the same thing? It's a slap in the face.
This is how extensions work, though, and how they should work.
You start over just like the guy who just had a drop for the weapon you fully upgraded, but you didn't lose "everything". You got to enjoy this weapon up until now.
The real shitty move was not to tell us about all this when the exotic patch went live earlier this week. The real slap in the face is for all the people who used an exotic shard to upgrade their exotic weapon during those last few days.

Self Resurrection aka "Sod you buddy I'm coming baaaccckkkk"

Sullichin

I really hope they reconsider.

It took so long to upgrade the exotics I've maxed out. I've barely had time to use some of them at their max and I play this game like crazy! The game hasn't been out that long. This is ridiculous. Why not just add 3 more damage circles to the existing exotic instead of punishing people for spending time upgrading? And knowing how this works why even upgrade an exotic this time knowing it will just be reset if you want to keep them up for DLC3.

There's no benefit to trading in a fully leveled exotic to Xur vs a new one?

Really unhappy about these tiered legendary and exotic weapons. So vanguard/crucible legendaries are stuck at 300, and the raid weapons I haven't gotten yet will just be outclassed by other raid weapons I'll never get?

I don't even know why I should play the game this week. There's no point in buying anything or leveling weapons. This is crazy.

realcZk

It took me 37 raid clears to finally get a pair of gloves for any of my characters. 37!!

The kicker...I got 3 pairs all in that one raid. FML - knew it was going to happen considering I grinded out Iron Banner and had new gloves on my chars anyway.

IB and VoG gear? Gross man! You'll want to replace that garbage gear with Vanguard gear asap when the DLC launches so you can get to level 31 :)

Frenden

Banned
There've been several threads with polls on Bungie's forums asking what folks think about the newly proposed upgrade path for exotics.

The spread of opinion in all these threads remains surprisingly consistent. 80-85% of the player base disagrees with this direction.

I'm holding out hope that Bungie will at least be motivated by their own pocketbooks and reverse course. Pissing off nearly 90% of the folks that are potential DLC purchasers doesn't seem like a great idea.

ocean

Banned

It was a mix between having a lot of stuff to upgrade and fewer Raid loots. Now that we regularly run Hard and even on multiple characters we certainly make a lot more than we used to. But the biggest difference is probably having upgraded most of the stuff we want by now (armor at least). As you progress it gets harder and harder to get more stuff you want/don't have since the loot table isn't that big to begin with.

I remember ascendant materials being in short supply but these Exotic Shards are not cheap. I mean buying a Primary + its required upgrade shard from Xûr would require more Strange Coins than you can reliably make in a week :/

Impossible. There's no known cure.

Yet.
I miss you, my Warden. ;__;

imgres

realcZk

I think I would have made the VoG gear upgradable to 31 light, so to not make it be vaulted/dismantled so quickly after the launch of the DLC. That way you're still given a reason to hold onto that gear. Having the regular vanguard gear be better than old raid gear kinda hits you in the feels after only having it for three months, many of us not even that long. Being level 30 is still going to be a big advantage going right into the DLC though, being able to tackle the newer nightfalls and at least the beginning of the normal raid easily.

X-Frame

Sorry if this was already mentioned but does upgrade an exotic armor piece with Xur increase its maximum Light rating too?

Hopefully it increases it to at least +33 Light, which will allow those who are missing one raid gear piece to hit 30 without replacing that regular vendor Legendary.

I hit 29 last night, which is nice
Got Light/Beware from the Nightfall
Congrats, it's a great weapon. Mine has the perk where scoping in adds to the range, and it's pretty ridiculous how far out I can one shot kill someone.

Sorry if this was already mentioned but does upgrade an exotic armor piece with Xur increase its maximum Light rating too?

Hopefully it increases it to at least +33 Light, which will allow those who are missing one raid gear piece to hit 30 without replacing that regular vendor Legendary.
It sounds like Legendary armor will have replacements to bring the Light/Defense levels up, so I doubt that exotics would be that high of a rating.

It was a mix between having a lot of stuff to upgrade and fewer Raid loots. Now that we regularly run Hard and even on multiple characters we certainly make a lot more than we used to. But the biggest difference is probably having upgraded most of the stuff we want by now (armor at least). As you progress it gets harder and harder to get more stuff you want/don't have since the loot table isn't that big to begin with.

I remember ascendant materials being in short supply but these Exotic Shards are not cheap. I mean buying a Primary + its required upgrade shard from Xûr would require more Strange Coins than you can reliably make in a week :/

I have over 150 ass shards though, while also having 3 characters at 30. As well as multiple exotics upgraded for each character. And I've only raided about 5 times max on my alts.

Most people probably do the weekly, so getting strange coins is at least guaranteed.

Shito

I'm holding out hope that Bungie will at least be motivated by their own pocketbooks and reverse course. Pissing off nearly 90% of the folks that are potential DLC purchasers doesn't seem like a great idea.
Last time we had such an "uproar" was for the legendary engrams thing. They tried to force their stance, but finally decided to listen to the players.
I can see them doing that as well here, the question is: will they try to force our hand first or not? Ie: will we have to suffer through a few weeks of exotic resets at Xûr or not?
I would be very cautious about upgrading anything now...

ocean

Banned
You start over just like the guy who just had a drop for the weapon you fully upgraded, but you didn't lose "everything". You got to enjoy this weapon up until now.
The real shitty move was not to tell us about all this when the exotic patch went live earlier this week. The real slap in the face is for all the people who used an exotic shard to upgrade their exotic weapon during those last few days.

"You got to enjoy it" would feel better if we'd had these things for longer. We're talking weeks here. Games that have done similar stuff have far longer spans between radical changes. At the very least advance warning would have been in order. I've been grinding Patience & Time and Plan C and Thunderlord like crazy to be ready for Arc shields in Crota's End, if they exist. That's been a true pain in the ass. Had I known about this, I'd have chilled and waited for my ticket to 302 via Strange Coins.

It's perplexing that after all the fuck ups stemming from improper communication they still think dropping this a week in advance is alright. Do they actually play this game like we do?

E92 M3

Atheon was good to me last night. Dropped the Vex + another exotic + the helm + the ship + some shards I think.

Did you do normal before hard or no? Just curious.

Last time we had such an "uproar" was for the legendary engrams thing. They tried to force their stance, but finally decided to listen to the players.
I can see them doing that as well here, the question is: will they try to force our hand first or not? Ie: will we have to suffer through a few weeks of exotic resets at Xûr or not?
I would be very cautious about upgrading anything now...

I think we will have to suffer through this until at least January, and by the time they do make changes most of us would have already sucked it up.

Atheon was good to me last night. Dropped the Vex + another exotic + the helm + the ship + some shards I think.

One of my Atheon drops last week:

5th Vex
3rd Thunderlord
4th Atheon's Epilogue
Timebreaker
Shards

Also got my 4th Fatebringer and 3rd Found Verdict at the Templar.

Let me dual-wield my Thunderlords and I'll forgive you, Bungie.

I fundamentally disagree with this, my time is mine I accepted the ridiculous grind to get a better weapon now I'm being told 'sod your time, start again'. I've already invested the week or so necessary per exotic and if I've to do this twice I'm looking at months to fully upgrade what I have.

What you're describing is an abusive perpetual time consumption engine that demands all of your time or leaves you in the dirt every few months. The reset to 302 is not a +2 gain over what I have as the content is designed for higher level weapons so my 302 weapon is now meh rather than exotic. Especially as the lvl 30 normal raid likely includes lvl 32 enemies (in much the same way the lvl 26 VoG contains lvl 28 enemies) so now I'm under levelled and under powered.

"You got to enjoy it" would feel better if we'd had these things for longer. We're talking weeks here. Games that have done similar stuff have far longer spans between radical changes. At the very least advance warning would have been in order. I've been grinding Patience & Time and Plan C and Thunderlord like crazy to be ready for Arc shields in Crota's End, if they exist. That's been a true pain in the ass. Had I known about this, I'd have chilled and waited for my ticket to 302 via Strange Coins.

It's perplexing that after all the fuck ups stemming from improper communication they still think dropping this a week in advance is alright. Do they actually play this game like we do?

I'd be surprised if some of them play the game at all.

realcZk

So what's everyones expectations for the new raid (completion time)?

When VoG launched one week after Destiny's release, there weren't many level 29s. The world first completion on normal took 12 hours after release.

Do you think we can expect a similar world first completion time for Crota's End? I would almost say it might be less now that everyone is way more familiar with the game and it's mechanics, and likely their builds/gear, assuming we get a challenge similar to that of VoG that doesn't reuse any mechanics.

So what's everyones expectations for the new raid (completion time)?

When VoG launched one week after Destiny's release, there weren't many level 29s. The world first completion on normal took 12 hours after release.

Do you think we can expect a similar world first completion time? I would almost say it might be less now that everyone is way more familiar with the game and it's mechanics, and likely their builds/gear.
4-6 hours? I feel like a lot of players are familiar enough with the types of mechanics that could occur.

Doesn't count!

:(

I'd be surprised if some of them play the game at all.

Apparently some do and they have similar gripes to us on how boring farming for mats was and how they can't get the last piece of armour they need even after doing countless raids...

I don't know how much I can trust this as thier idea of speeding up our progression (for exotics) is the removal of ass shards...

There've been several threads with polls on Bungie's forums asking what folks think about the newly proposed upgrade path for exotics.

The spread of opinion in all these threads remains surprisingly consistent. 80-85% of the player base disagrees with this direction.

I am really not liking this focus on the Exotics only.

The fact legendary weapons are becoming obsolete is even more an issue for me, along with these commendations for items you want to buy from vendors.

Those 2 things are pissing me off more.

So how's the mood in here this morning?
After sleeping on it, the big outstanding problem is that no one will have any proper motivation to spend any time and resources leveling vanilla exotics.

People (myself included) are going to get a brand new exotic, which should be fun and exciting, and throw it straight into the vault until Xur offers the [expansion 1] upgrade for it.

realcZk

The fact legendary weapons are becoming obsolete is even more an issue for me, along with these commendations for items you want to buy from vendors.

AZKB0TX.png

RIP fatebringer, destroyer of faces, shooter of heads, exploder of souls
i will not forget our time with eachother, replaying the same content over and over until we couldnt do it anymore, then we did it again
you were good to me, and i was good to you..
i hope one day we will meet again

Heh, sleep is always good. I never get enough. I'll agree with you on the news, it's really going to put a damper on my playtime this week/weekend, since the XP isn't going to "matter" when the DLC launches. I'm getting my characters to high vanguard/crucible ranks so they are about to roll over to a new rank (for DLC commendations), and waiting till the DLC to do so. The majority of my exotic weapons are already maxed out, and the lesser weapons I won't bother until after the DLC, hoping I can get an upgraded version from Xur right off the bat and save me some time.

Exactly my plan and what everyone else should be doing too at this point.

Will commendations be provided by everyone?

-Vanguard
-Dead Orbit
-New Monarchy
-Future War Cult
-Crucible

Or will it be just Vanguard and Crucible?

Atkison04

I want to know this too. Everyone sitting at 30 now with all raid gear plus 1 maxed exotic, what happens when we upgrade that exotic gear with Xur? 31 light level? I guess we won't know until Tuesday or Bungie says.

To be fair: Ice Breaker is probably the worst example you could have used. ^^
If the upgraded exotics really do start over at 302 attack, an unlevelled upgraded Ice Breaker is nearly better than a fully vanilla one. ^^ Its main perk doesn't have to be unlocked.
For all the other ones, though, you are right.

I wonder how armors will work. If they somehow manage to make it so you stay at the same light level when upgrading them, this could work nicely...

Why would they work any differently? They are in the same Xur box, so they probably fully reset all perks and upgrades, but start at the same light as DLC exotics. Do we know what the base light will be for DLC exotics?

You forgot raid shards and raid energy(?)

Namikaze1

Rip Fatebringer? Rip Legendaries?

More like rip Hawkmoon! I can't exchange it for a stronger one till next year!

Hawkmoon! Nooooooooooooo!

Frenden

Banned

I'm bummed about legendary weapons, but I half expected it.

Commendations are a total bummer. I have no other way of putting it. Progress gating grind sinks aren't a good time.

realcZk

Exactly my plan and what everyone else should be doing too at this point.

Will commendations be provided by everyone?

-Vanguard
-Dead Orbit
-New Monarchy
-Future War Cult
-Crucible

Or will it be just Vanguard and Crucible?

From the datamining that I've read, it appears to just be Vang/Crucible. It would make sense to have it faction-wide though if factions can sell light level 31 gear as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom