• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would really appreciate it if you could clarify if holding on to a legendary engram someone already has will be worth it or whether they will be restricted to current items even if we open them after Tuesday.

Edit, not personally clarify now :) just in an update or blog post before Tuesday!

I second this. I have a few banked, but as mentioned by another poster, it was accounted for with the cryptarch patch.

I imagine we will not be able to do what we are hoping to.

noomi

People interested in launch day raid.

Macello
Gdt
Messiek
ComputerMKII
Tw1st (noomi85)

There you go ^-^

Phew *wipes sweat from forehead* That was a close one :D thanks.

I'll be off all day that Tuesday so anytime is good for me :) EST time zone here.

For a possible mail-bag, here are the questions I've seen I'd like to see answered:

Logistics

• What will the attack values be of newly reXurbished weapons be? Is it 302 like is rumored? What about for armor?
  • What is the maximum attack for weapons? 323? 331?
  • Will stats on armor carry over? (e.g. will a +154 discipline chest stay that way? or will the new one be a different roll)
  • Will Hawkmoon and Monte Carlo be available for upgrade?
  • Is Mythoclast already max leveled?
  • Will Xur be more reliable and have more variety than before? (His current track record is terrible: He's offered Sunbreakers 4/12 weeks and Voidfang Vestments 6/12 weeks.)
  • Will Xur be around longer than just 2 days now that he is required for advancement?
  • Will Exotic bounties currently in progress result in a 300 or 320 version when completed?
  • Will "Smart Loot" be applied to other parts of the game? Like the Vault of Glass or Nightfalls? or Strikes?
  • Will exotics *actually* be faster to level because of XP requirements being reduced? Or is it just "faster" because they no longer require ascendant mats?
  • Will Xur continue to sell Exotic Engrams? The screenshot in the preview doesn't have one?
  • Will Xur sell new 320/32 capable exotics or will we have to upgrade again?
  • Will drops from Vault of Glass/Nightfalls/Weeklies/Strikes be old level or new level exotics?
  • How much content in The Dark Below is higher than level 30?
  • Will there be more vault space?
  • Will there be higher glimmer/mark caps?

Philosophy:

• What is the design philosophy for upgrading legendaries requiring limited time windows + random weekly limitations (Xur)?
  • What's the design philosophy behind resetting progress on already leveled exotics?
  • What's the design philosophy behind adding a second currency to buying vendor gear (commendations)?

RickD

I think the best thing about this game is the people i've met playing it. I've actually not spoken to anyone who is a nob, and i've got loads of "destiny friends" on my list i can usually drop in on doing dailies or bounties.
Although i still find it hard to get a dedicated slot to sort out going through the raid completely.
I love these threads, i love how the community comes together on most issues (including reddit) Although i really feel like Bungie is still finding it's feet with this game, and maybe they will get it right some day :)

One of my personal frustrations though is Bungies insistence on including PVP in Exotic bounties. I really don't like PVP in this game, and I don't like how much it winds me up either! it just frustrates me so much, even doing the Bad JuJu bounty, I hated it, really hated it. And it's the only part of the game i hate. It's the reason i will never have Thorn as well :(

I know the Raid is supposed to be the PVE level 30 route, and the Iron banner is the PVPers route to it. I just wish there was another way of doing it without having to put aside the time to find other people to do the PVE stuff with, and then rely on the RNG factor.

#forever 29

I'm pretty much always lurking (and playing, too). I get it.

Some of it comes down to communication, and that's on me as much as anyone. We've made it sound like all your sweet, hard-earned gear is getting deprecated or made straight up obsolete. Fact is, you'll be relying on it to tackle the new activities, including the Raid, and it'll be the same as it ever was, only now there will be new stuff to go after, too.

DeeJ will cover this in more depth, and he'll have a few more things to talk about, too.

Oh we get that, buddy. I think most are frustrated that we have to re-level equipment that we already maxed and don't understand why extra bubbles weren't tacked on so that all that time spent pouring XP into it and all the energies and shards poured into them weren't for naught. Is there a reason you guys chose this path of progression instead? I understand revamping the progression of leveling the weapon/armor, but am scratching my head as to why this is applied to already maxed weapons/armor.

Thanks for taking time to make posts in here :)

Frenden

Banned
I second this. I have a few banked, but as mentioned by another poster, it was accounted for with the cryptarch patch.

I imagine we will not be able to do what we are hoping to.

I've got a vault full, nearly every slot, of engrams. Even if they don't up-convert, wait to level up your Cryptarch.

cilonen

I feel that the engram you find has already rolled the RNG dice before you crack it open, the random element has already been selected the moment it's in your inventory.

I've swapped blues between different characters at different levels and got different, class specific items so maybe transfer it forwards and back first?

Launch day Crota's End Raid:

Macello - Titan - 30
gdt5016
Messiek
ComputerMKII
Noomi85 - Hunter - 30

We still need to figure out the best time. I'm saying 10 am will give us time to check out the basic newness of the DLC.

RickD

Would really appreciate it if you could clarify if holding on to a legendary engram someone already has will be worth it or whether they will be restricted to current items even if we open them after Tuesday.

Edit, not personally clarify now :) just in an update or blog post before Tuesday!

I'd expect held engrams to be the same as it was before the Cryptarc patch. They used the previous system iirc.

LordofPwn

Some of it comes down to communication, and that's on me as much as anyone. We've made it sound like all your sweet, hard-earned gear is getting deprecated or made straight up obsolete. Fact is, you'll be relying on it to tackle the new activities, including the Raid, and it'll be the same as it ever was, only now there will be new stuff to go after, too.

DeeJ will cover this in more depth, and he'll have a few more things to talk about, too.

Great to hear. Any chance we can get an answer on Hawkmoon/Monte Carlo and Vex upgrading from Xur?

EL CUCO

Thanks for the heads up, (L)Urk! ;)

At this point there isn't anything left to say that hasn't already been said. Looking forward to see what you guys do with TDB and CE!

RickD

Be nice is EXP counted for weapons you didn't have equipped as well. Currently we can only level one Exotic, which is really frustrating when handing bounties in.

MADGAME

We are under the impression that there will be an increased light bonus to the new gear so you won't go down from 30 by switching to it right away. You'll just lose your perks and have to re-unlock them so it really just comes down to how useful the perks are, if you can live without them for a bit. For this reason I'll upgrade Ice Breaker as soon as I can because it's perks are nothing special and aren't what make the weapon.

Also, everyone should try to get their rep up to just before it levels and stop there waiting for Tue so as soon as the update hits, you can level up your faction/Vanguard/Crucible and get a commendation right off the bat towards buying legendary gear. Same as what we did before the engram update, saving all those blues for after the increased odds at purple as well as getting that legendary mail reward for getting cryptarch up right away.

I'm with you on IB, the impact and ammo regen make it clutch.

So if upgrading to new armor doesn't drop you below 30 (need confirmation), How much would leveling up ONE piece of gear bring you up from 30?

Example - you have all raid gear on at level 30. You upgrade an exotic chest piece. If you equip it, you are still 30. Now you fully upgrade it....is should take you roughly up a half level?

You might as well hold on to them, doesn't hurt to wait and it's not much longer either.

Messiek

Macello - Titan - 30
gdt5016
Messiek
ComputerMKII
Noomi85 - Hunter - 30

We still need to figure out the best time. I'm saying 10 am will give us time to check out the basic newness of the DLC.

Yeah, anytime for me. I think we'll need to do some Eris missions to unlock the raid.
Warlock/Titan/Hunter - 30 lol (I'll be using my Warlock)

Ugh, reposting because it was literally the last post on the previous page.

Great; adding you as an alt.

Updated list:

Hard Mode Raid (starting at Gatekeepers, killing Atheon, then starting over) - PS4 - 8pm Eastern
1) Dave_6 (PSN DaveS78) - Level 29 Hunter
2) stb (PSN Berried_treasurE) - Level 29 Titan
3) Agent_Tiro (PSN Agent_Tiro) - Level 30 Hunter
4) Phaethon0017? (PSN ??) - Level ?? ??
5) Temidien? (PSN Temidien) - Level 29 Titan
6) schwagger15? (PSN spyder_ur) - Level 29 Titan & Level 29 Warlock
alt1) ArkkAngel007 (PSN ArkkAngel007) - Level 29 Hunter
alt2) raindoc (PSN raindoc) - Level 30 Warlock & Level 29 Hunter

Still taking alts because we have 3 "maybes" and need an alt or two anyway. Please quote and add gaf name, PSN handle, and level/class. Could really use a Level 30 as an alt.

Can you confirm you want to join?

Added you.

I'm good with the start at GK then start afresh. Will need to switch to my second 30 hunter though and time may become an issue depending how long we will take

Macello - Titan - 30
gdt5016
Messiek
ComputerMKII
Noomi85 - Hunter - 30

No sixth player? And who will be streaming? Someone needs to stream it.

I'm a Level 30 Titan, by the way. And I want to do it ASAP, we need to make history!

Navid

Yes, okay. I sent the invite. We have played before. The list is full now. Thanks.
For some reason can't connect to destiny servers right now, all other online stuff works..? If you have anyone else waiting go on without me. :)

Edit: Going to try rebooting PS4, really weird issue.

Edit 2: Nope, not to be... Sorry guys. (Am I the only one having issues at the moment?)

E92 M3

As much as I love Destiny, I still can't get over the fact that Bungie doesn't respect our time as players. They don't feel appreciate for the player base they have - that's the only thing I am seeing with the latest update. The exotics patch did wonders for the morale and now this is just back to the status quo. We didn't even get an upgrade in vault space to distract the bad news.

NeOak

As much as I love Destiny, I still can't get over the fact that Bungie doesn't respect our time as players. They don't feel appreciate for the player base they have - that's the only thing I am seeing with the latest update. The exotics patch did wonders for the morale and now this is just back to the status quo. We didn't even get an upgrade in vault space to distract the bad news.

Read:

EL CUCO

Bungie Explains Destiny’s Mysterious Third Subclass Slot

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Gonna read it now.

Edit: Don't get excited.

I can’t say anything about new subclasses,” Green says. “The reason why there’s that third subclass slot there, is that some people may recall that we used to have a mechanism for sealing a build and locking your choices in, which would give your build a boost. The game would let you make another copy of that build. That’s what the slot is there for. When you needed to make a copy of your arc titan build because you just locked the other one, we had to make room for that. So that’s why the third slot is there. It shouldn’t be read as a tacit promise, but the fact that subclasses are swappable should make players excited about the future.”
kz0BqwC.jpg

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Oh we get that, buddy. I think most are frustrated that we have to re-level equipment that we already maxed and don't understand why extra bubbles weren't tacked on so that all that time spent pouring XP into it and all the energies and shards poured into them weren't for naught. Is there a reason you guys chose this path of progression instead? I understand revamping the progression of leveling the weapon/armor, but am scratching my head as to why this is applied to already maxed weapons/armor.

Thanks for taking time to make posts in here :)

It's patently better gear! DeeJ will address this, but I don't think people are going to get an Ice Breaker drop and struggle with whether or not they want to upgrade, or feel like the time needed to bring it up to full power is exhausting or un-fun. Fact is, without any upgrades, it should be more powerful straight out of the gate.

But I'm sure you'll sound off it it doesn't feel awesome, and you should!

stb

Yes that's fine. My first hard raid attempt anyways!

This'll be my first hard raid, too.

I'm good with the start at GK then start afresh. Will need to switch to my second 30 hunter though and time may become an issue depending how long we will take

Based on the fact that at least 2 of us haven't done hard mode before, and that it's late for you, and that we don't have many 30's, the whole thing could easily implode after Atheon goes down.

I think that's OK, though. Gatekeeprs and Atheon give us two loot rolls, so if we can't run the whole thing, this is probably the best bit to run.

Let's see how far we get.

EL CUCO

It's patently better gear! DeeJ will address this, but I don't think people are going to get an Ice Breaker drop and struggle with whether or not they want to upgrade, or feel like the time needed to bring it up to full power is exhausting or un-fun. Fact is, without any upgrades, it should be more powerful straight out of the gate.

Just make sure that Xur brings the Gajallahorn this Friday, Ok? :D

Messiek

Yep, just let me know what time and I'm there. Ah yes... forgot about Eris missions, maybe there will be some more details before release?

No sixth player? And who will be streaming? Someone needs to stream it.

I'm a Level 30 Titan, by the way. And I want to do it ASAP, we need to make history!

The sixth spot is still open. ASAP works for me, but I'm fine doing it anytime on the first day too. I'm just afraid those Eris missions get on the way.
HYPE

I'm with you on IB, the impact and ammo regen make it clutch.

So if upgrading to new armor doesn't drop you below 30 (need confirmation), How much would leveling up ONE piece of gear bring you up from 30?

Example - you have all raid gear on at level 30. You upgrade an exotic chest piece. If you equip it, you are still 30. Now you fully upgrade it....is should take you roughly up a half level?
I would think it akin to getting from 28 to 30 currently as far as how many new gear pieces you'll need to max to hit 32. We'll have to wait and see!

Oh for sure, it's going to be more powerful/higher defense and I've posted that myself a couple times in here. The perks are what make exotics special, however and that is what we're temporarily losing. We want to tackle this new, higher difficulty content with all our perks intact out the gate and with added bubbles, we'd have been able to still get that higher attack and defense rating. I'd bet my bottom dollar most gamers would have preferred going that route, keeping the perks that made them choose that exotic in the first place over others and raid gear and then be able to progress towards making it better than it's previous form.

It's great you're replying to us.

I gotta ask though. Is there any possibility, that this new system can be changed? I mean, I know that generally people from GAF can't be classed as casuals and we are a small vocal minority. I also know that people frequenting your own forums and that thread DeeJ published kind of agree with us in that, basically resetting our time spent in your game is extremely disagreeable to us. All I want to know is, are we talking into the wind?

Bollocks

will the vanguard merchants sell new legendary tier gear?
I need boots but don't know if I should hold out given how close we are to the DLC.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes

I can't promise we'll get to every individual's personal feedback, but I can pretty much guarantee that nearly every perspective is being represented by a player advocate, a piece of data, or an anecdotal experience inside Bungie. We've made a commitment to gather behavior data from the player base and scour forums and communities for insight. We have multiple meetings daily and weekly specifically focused on reviewing and prioritizing requested features. I believe we're now up to 12 patches/updates in three months time. We're investing time and real money to make the game better. Keep letting us know what you love, and where you think we can do better.

I hadn't heard the request for more vault space before, tho, so that's a bit of a surprise (not really).

E92 M3

Okay that sounding better and I hope it will be fully accurate. I think if it wasn't for the fact that exotics get fully reset (leveled or not) we'd all be generally happy. It comes down to the fact that we all love Destiny here and just want to be appreciate for the time we put it in. Valuing time is one of the most important things a developer should do. Hopefully the update covers everything :)

I can't promise we'll get to every individual's personal feedback, but I can pretty much guarantee that nearly every perspective is being represented by a player advocate, a piece of data, or an anecdotal experience inside Bungie. We've made a commitment to gather behavior data from the player base and scour forums and communities for insight. We have multiple meetings daily and weekly specifically focused on reviewing and prioritizing requested features. I believe we're now up to 12 patches/updates in three months time. We're investing time and real money to make the game better. Keep letting us know what you love, and where you think we can do better.

I hadn't heard the request for more vault space before, tho, so that's a bit of a surprise (not really).

I appreciate the feedback. The fact that you're taking time to respond on a forum is giving me confidence you guys will do the right thing. I know Bungie is a huge organization now compared to the old days and in huge organizations the movement of information and change is sometimes slowed down. Either way, we are all looking forward to positive changes. Just look at what the exotics patch did for the community - everyone was super happy. You guys have a barometer of what we want.

Can't believe I missed that lol!

But that doesn't address the issue with upgrading an ice breaker I already poured 200k XP into? Feels like you guys chose the least creative, most boring path for upgrading our weapons to the new attack cap. Most of us don't mind putting in the effort to make our weapons better but to reset our progress and have us do the exact same grind to get our weapons back to what they were before just doesn't sound like fun. For someone like me who has lots of exotic weapons and armor maxed out it is overwhelming just thinking about it

cilonen

I need boots but don't know if I should hold out given how close we are to the DLC.

Yes they will. You'll need a commendation gained from levelling up your vanguard rep though once the new expansion drops.

Mindlog

Hold out.
Just remember to burn off marks on mats if you get near the cap.
Try not to level your Vanguard rep. Leveling it now would really suck.

The sixth spot is still open. ASAP works for me, but I'm fine doing it anytime on the first day too. I'm just afraid those Eris missions get on the way.
HYPE
I should be able to start playing by around 8:30 am that day (because I have to pretend like I'm going to work or my wife will want to take off to spend time with me... yuck.) I am assuming as long as one of unlocks whatever prerequisites there are, we'll be able to join them on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom