• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't promise we'll get to every individual's personal feedback, but I can pretty much guarantee that nearly every perspective is being represented by a player advocate, a piece of data, or an anecdotal experience inside Bungie. We've made a commitment to gather behavior data from the player base and scour forums and communities for insight. We have multiple meetings daily and weekly specifically focused on reviewing and prioritizing requested features. I believe we're now up to 12 patches/updates in three months time. We're investing time and real money to make the game better. Keep letting us know what you love, and where you think we can do better.

I hadn't heard the request for more vault space before, tho, so that's a bit of a surprise (not really).

That's something I'm surprised wasn't addressed already as I believe you or Deej previously stated that exotics were something you wanted gamers to feel compelled to collect. We need more space to collect all the things!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thursday, 8:15PM Eastern Time - Newbie Normal Raid
1. ori0n278e
2. CooI_Breeze
3. Hawkian
4. FenixOne
5. ArkkAngel007
6. xx_shiv_xx

Yes they will. You'll need a commendation gained from levelling up your vanguard rep though once the new expansion drops.

I am really interested in the nuts and bolts of this. I am not happy with the Commendation system in general with what we know, but if we can get higher light gear off the bat by purchasing it, those of us going a little slower should be able to more quickly upgrade our Alt character light level.

I can't promise we'll get to every individual's personal feedback, but I can pretty much guarantee that nearly every perspective is being represented by a player advocate, a piece of data, or an anecdotal experience inside Bungie. We've made a commitment to gather behavior data from the player base and scour forums and communities for insight. We have multiple meetings daily and weekly specifically focused on reviewing and prioritizing requested features. I believe we're now up to 12 patches/updates in three months time. We're investing time and real money to make the game better. Keep letting us know what you love, and where you think we can do better.

I hadn't heard the request for more vault space before, tho, so that's a bit of a surprise (not really).

You have no idea how much I appreciate your way of communicating with the community. No messing around, just relevant info and quick answers :)

HighOnPCP

It's patently better gear! DeeJ will address this, but I don't think people are going to get an Ice Breaker drop and struggle with whether or not they want to upgrade, or feel like the time needed to bring it up to full power is exhausting or un-fun. Fact is, without any upgrades, it should be more powerful straight out of the gate.

But I'm sure you'll sound off it it doesn't feel awesome, and you should!

A nice solution to the new upgrading mechanic would be to let players keep the main perks of an exotic but have them level up all the other upgrade bubbles from scratch. This way we'd have a weapon that does 2 more attack than previously but lose out on some of the smaller perks. Fair trade imo.

Bungie knows we desperately want the Hollahorn, but won't release it or we'll break all their content. :D

If they are going to do it, now would be the best time from a trolling perspective so everyone who gets one has to invest more coins to upgrade and rub in the face of longtime owners who now have to wipe it to keep it relevant.

One spot available for tonight:

Thursday, 8:15PM Eastern Time - Newbie Normal Raid
1. ori0n278e
2. CooI_Breeze
3. Hawkian
4. FenixOne
5. ArkkAngel007
6. OPEN

Put me on as an alt, I might have to go to the Cable company but if not, I'll be down to do this. Need to run it with my Titan! Speaking of, he got WoL before I logged off last night! Wooo!

X-Frame

If they are going to do it, now would be the best time from a trolling perspective so everyone who gets one has to invest more coins to upgrade and rub in the face of longtime owners who now have to wipe it to keep it relevant.

Even better would be having the current Ghallarhorn sold this week, but then sell the upgraded one next week. >:)

Greenymac

Brother, if youre playing your own game then you HAVE to know that the vault space struggle is REAL.

TP-DK

Aw yeah just got Red Death from hard raid, now I only need Hawkmoon and Hard Light to complete my exotic weapon collection.

How is Red Death anyway? Its healing perk seems pretty cool.

I'm pretty much always lurking (and playing, too). I get it.

Some of it comes down to communication, and that's on me as much as anyone. We've made it sound like all your sweet, hard-earned gear is getting deprecated or made straight up obsolete. Fact is, you'll be relying on it to tackle the new activities, including the Raid, and it'll be the same as it ever was, only now there will be new stuff to go after, too.

DeeJ will cover this in more depth, and he'll have a few more things to talk about, too.

Honestly I hope the clarification straight up contradicts what we have right now because it sounds like there's a lot of spinning of resets as 'new opportunities'. I don't mind grinder for +ATK or +Light but I will be pretty pissed if I'm expected to grind for the features I already have on top of the +ATK and +Light. I would rather the launch be delayed and see a fix that guarantees I don't lose the perks I've ground out for literally days since launch than put up with a system that essentially values my time as worthless.

Thanks for the insight Urk. We are all looking forward to the new gear, but I hope the data you guys are gathering accounts for us leveling up this exotic and legendary gear to be able to rock the DLC, not because we love leveling. To start back at zero hurts, especially since the 'fun' bubbles are halfway through the progression.

BondFancy

Hey Urk thanks for stopping by:

The Good changes:
New Exotic balancing brought by the last update
Fixing the X1 party lag issue
Allowing materials to be purchased
More frequent public events
Last Iron Banner was awesome
More ways to get materials
Not needing shards/energy for exotics (Minus exotic shard)
More bounty spaces
The new sparrow

The bad changes:
Old legendary's becoming outdated (i.e. AE, Fatebringer, etc)
New exotic attack buff process (Having to re-level weapons)
Crucible/Vanguard Commendations
Using Xur as the method of upgrading old exotics

What changes I think should be considered:
More vault space that can be purchased with either strange coins/motes of light (edit-free is nice too)
Larger weekly cap for vanguard/crucible marks
Larger amount of marks that can be held (aka more than 200 at a time)
Have Xur stay Sunday as well

Edit-
Larger Glimmer Cap

Just my opinion!

Sincerely,

BondFancy

EL CUCO

It's really good but it's not game breaking. If anything ice breaker is what breaks the content

I think he was being sarcastic but what some might call "game breaking", I call fun. The whole reason why we play video games is for that 3 letter word.

Ice Breaker kicks like a mule and only has 6 shots with no reserves. A fair trade, if you ask me.

Imo, Breaking the content would be cheesing encounters or forcing glitches.

It's patently better gear! DeeJ will address this, but I don't think people are going to get an Ice Breaker drop and struggle with whether or not they want to upgrade, or feel like the time needed to bring it up to full power is exhausting or un-fun. Fact is, without any upgrades, it should be more powerful straight out of the gate.

So there are overhauls to the gear beyond just the attack/defense stat? Otherwise, I feel it's more damaging to make the weapon be reset and lose all the perks until they can be reunlocked instead of just adding another upgrade tier that would take the same amount of time and that reunlocking progress. It's more psychological than anything else, and it seems a lot of people would agree that even the slowest of filling XP gauges and high costs at the tail end are easier to visually and mentally swallow than having all that disappear for the sake of a slight initial damage boost and XP multiplier to be all that remains to redo the whole process.

That sort of stuff works fine in COD/Titanfall's Prestige system because of how the game is well-suited for it and unlocks don't necessarily have the same weight to them as unlocks in Destiny. It just doesn't see right for Destiny with not only time and the impact it has on your performance throughout the game, but also on the amount of additional resources and the time spent on accumulating those (not to mention RNG wrench throwing).

But I'm hopeful that Deej will communicate clarifications that demonstrate how suitable these changes are for Destiny as it moves forward. For what it's worth, most-if-not-all-of-us appreciate you engaging with us, Urk.

And see, while communication is an issue and something that (aside from the vague and borderline condescending tweet when this all kicked off) I won't hold over guys like Deej and Urk since it's all second hand stuff from whatever is going on in the kitchen.

But I think that post by Urk is also missing the point. While some are concerned by things being made obsolete, it seems the greater issue people are having is how unnecessary things are for most players as far as these new barriers are concerned, as well as once again Bungie devs are being quick to make an extreme, dodging change instead of making far more leveled adjustments. And that seems to not be communicated back as much as the more extreme community reactions up until the above post, just as the communication for how those changes will fit into Destiny as it is and will be at an intricate level has failed at this point.

Vault space is something I have run out of.... Its needed badly!

I am one of those, gotta collect em all dudes, same goes for shit in real life, you should see my collection of fly fishing rods and reels.... Girlfriend is about to kick me out due to all my stuff haha

E92 M3

We don't mind leveling stuff at all, the crux of the problem is that an exotic "of the street" has the same value to Xur as one that is maxed out. Maxed out exotics need to receive some kind of bonus in the upgrade process. Anything that acknowledges previous investment. Bungie is always very good about giving people little bonuses for playing their games - it's the same concept here.

It all comes down to acknowledging investment. As it stands not much separates me (except actual skill) from someone that has been playing for 50 hours.

This'll be my first hard raid, too.

Based on the fact that at least 2 of us haven't done hard mode before, and that it's late for you, and that we don't have many 30's, the whole thing could easily implode after Atheon goes down.

I think that's OK, though. Gatekeeprs and Atheon give us two loot rolls, so if we can't run the whole thing, this is probably the best bit to run.

Let's see how far we get.

Yeah that's fine. Once atheon is dead I will see what time it is and make a call if I can do second raid or not.

Does everyone or most have relic experience? As that could be the hardest part

Fitts

Nightfall rewards for this week

9 ascendant energies
A crappy scout rifle (dismantled)
HAWKMOON (my second one)

Super pumped that I get to keep my maxed Hawkmoon and will have an extra stock one to ascend to the new attack rating when given the opportunity.

GhaleonEB

Hold out.
Just remember to burn off marks on mats if you get near the cap.
Try not to level your Vanguard rep. Leveling it now would really suck.

I need like, 20 rep to go up the next level, and I earned it in a bounty this morning. I'm debating between leveling it and just banking 10 completed 100 rep bounties when the DLC goes up. Decisions, decisions.

urk - something no one is really talking about but should be addressed:

Will the yet-to-be-rewarded vanilla exotics will be updated to the new [expansion 1] stats post-DLC? i.e. Ice Breaker drops in crucible on December 10th. Will it have new stats or the same?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
But that doesn't address the issue with upgrading an ice breaker I already poured 200k XP into? Feels like you guys chose the least creative, most boring path for upgrading our weapons to the new attack cap. Most of us don't mind putting in the effort to make our weapons better but to reset our progress and have us do the exact same grind to get our weapons back to what they were before just doesn't sound like fun. For someone like me who has lots of exotic weapons and armor maxed out it is overwhelming just thinking about it

Oh, believe you me, there were far less interesting paths on the table! ;)

I've read a lot of great suggestions from the community in the past hours. Many of them are, in fact, paths we explored. Sometimes there are technical dead ends, and often there are other "oh shit" issues to consider that only become apparent as we spin up a build and play it ourselves.

But, I tend to shy away from digging too deeply into the "hey, making games is really hard" path with players, because honestly why should you care about the challenges? Makes for a cool story, maybe, but ultimately doesn't change how you experience Destiny.

EL CUCO

Urk, I dont know if Deej will touch on this topic but do you know if PS exclusive exotics like Hawkmoon will be upgradeable for TDB content?

Fact is, without any upgrades, it should be more powerful straight out of the gate.

This sounds like perks carry over to the new, higher level item, with maybe something extra added in?

To me this sounds like I get +2 ATK and zero perks when I reset, this is Bungie's communication problem in a nutshell the message is in the eye of the beholder and that is a sure path to some pissed off customers

Daemul

What? Really?

No one at Bungie uses the vault confirmed.
I don't either

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
urk - something no one is really talking about but should be addressed:

Will the yet-to-be-rewarded vanilla exotics will be updated to the new [expansion 1] stats post-DLC? i.e. Ice Breaker drops in crucible on December 10th. Will it have new stats or the same?

DeeJ will address with his aforementioned bullshit. Get in the mood!

This is stupid, I want to use the shiny new exotics, but then I remember that if I am to upgrade them all the progress I got on them will be for nothing. My exotics are all gonna have to be on hold until I upgrade them, or Bungie changes their mind about the progression reset. This seriously blows.

Pickman

I will turn on the Barry White, bust out the herb-infused oils, and give you a foot massage that will change your life if you give me 10 more spaces to stick all the crap I can't bring myself to throw away.

raindoc

I'm pretty much always lurking (and playing, too). I get it.

Some of it comes down to communication, and that's on me as much as anyone. We've made it sound like all your sweet, hard-earned gear is getting deprecated or made straight up obsolete. Fact is, you'll be relying on it to tackle the new activities, including the Raid, and it'll be the same as it ever was, only now there will be new stuff to go after, too.

DeeJ will cover this in more depth, and he'll have a few more things to talk about, too.

And that's my problem. Not only will we have to repeat the upgrade process for exotics almost 1:1 - my main gripe is that the new stuff will sadly not just be "more stuff to get", it will be THE stuff to get - because it will be the only gear that really gets shit done in high level PvE, exactly like VoG/IB-armor now. To me it looks like you're not adding variety, you're adding tiers. IMO there's no real expansion happening here, gear-wise, it seems more like a reset.

How about "Raid Shards"? Let us dismantle 5 Raid-pieces to upgrade a legendary item to the next higher tier.

spyder_ur

Trying to think about what I would buy from Xur tomorrow. Given the changes, I think the only Exotic that I don't have that I would definitely buy is Ice Breaker. It's really the only gun I'm craving and don't have. Would probably pick up the Red Death actually.

It's confirmed he is not going to sell either the PS exclusives or the bounty exotics, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom