• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
I know I loved when Halo 2 DLC hit and brought new weapons that replaced old ones. Or when the Halo 3 map packs required you to reset using your guns like taking away your scope and reload speed on your Battle Rifle before you could be effective. Or when Halo 4...

Or wait. The only context these decisions are worse than an MMO are shooters

Levelling exotics is the most arduous task in the game outside of levelling a character.

There are many ways they could have forced us to earn he new upgrades without resetting the ones we already earnt.

We should be able to use the weapons we spent hours upgrading to earn the next tier, not be forced to repeat the exact_same_grind.

This is not fun design.

Yeah they really should have just told us everything at once, and they should have done it a few weeks ago. Selectively releasing this information so that people make poor decisions about their gear because they don't have all the information is just rotten. I shredded three exotics literally right before we found out that they will now turn into exotic shards as of the latest update.

Since we have no information regarding vault space I decided to dismantle my exotic doubles last week. Dismantled 7 of them. That's 7 exotic shards I would have had right now

It's frustrating to read these comments when everyone has ONE MMO as reference and Destiny is also a hybrid so it also has to fall in line with product expectations similar to other current FPSs. I mean the game is more FPS than MMO. So if we look at the game in those terms it's doing great!

Plenty of people have more than WoW in mind. WoW's just the most universal example to use because nearly everyone on a forum like this has played it at some point.

However because some people feel the way you do about MMO's as an example, when I was discussing this previously, I made certain to specifically address the most relevant aspect of it. Vertical Progression. Losing your current BIS items and replacing them with newly earned items when new content is created is a staple of Vertical Progression regardless of whether the game you're playing is an MMO or not.

gdt

Got 1 slot open on a hard raid.

1. Gdt Lvl 29
2. Lvl 29
3. Messiek Lvl 30
4. D-psipher Lvl ...30? I think
5. Myself s - Lvl 29

We just need 1. A 30 preferred to make it an even team. I have an oracle checkpoint too :). Pretty sure anyway.

I still can't believe my Fatebringer, my Hezen's Vengeance, and my Vision of Confluence, and my Atheon's Epilogue will be made irrelevant and unpowerful by the Destiny development team... I grinded so hard to get those fantastic weapons and I haven't had them for that long and now soon they will become impotent compared to the new stuff that I may not like as much anyway because of a silly attack and defense stat bump.

Would be nice if the raid weapons would at least have an upgrade path. They're so good and so much fun to use

kidko

Oh I bought this for PS4 and so far... I am in love with Destiny... I was hesitant at first because someone told me it was the "World of Warcraft version of shooters" but its more like an Shooter RPG with a lot of people in it to me. Level 8 and going, and since I am used to Diablo 3 ToS I dont mind the grind one bit. In fact, a part from being more complete than that game, I find this game amusing since is a breath of fresh air from Battlefield/Call of Duty games. LOVE DESTINY.

2 weeks later it'll be FUCK BUNGIE DEEJ SHUT UP 20 DAYS OF PLAYTIEM AND NOW THIS

edit: Welcome! :D

Stillmatic

Now that a new higher level Raid is about to hit, they should add a new VoG level just for fun/add a bit of life to it.

Unchanged:
VoG | Normal | Lv 26
VoG | Hard | Lv 30

Additional:
VoG | Legendary | Lv 30 | Whatever Weekly Nightfall Modifiers are currently active, don't know about going back to orbit though after a wipe lol. Maybe if you're able to revive teammates.

Strider

Oh I bought this for PS4 and so far... I am in love with Destiny... I was hesitant at first because someone told me it was the "World of Warcraft version of shooters" but its more like an Shooter RPG with a lot of people in it to me. Level 8 and going, and since I am used to Diablo 3 ToS I dont mind the grind one bit. In fact, a part from being more complete than that game, I find this game amusing since is a breath of fresh air from Battlefield/Call of Duty games. LOVE DESTINY.

lol oooohhhhh just wait.

The grind in Destiny is way more harsh than RoS. I say this as someone with a couple hundred hours in both games.

But it's no surprise you're enjoying Destiny at this stage and will probably continue to enjoy it for a long time. The core gameplay is phenomenal.

--

No weekly update yet, right?

Level 1-20 progression is fun. Once you hit 20 and leveling gets tied to light level and RNG things change

gdt

Got 1 slot open on a hard raid.

1. Gdt Lvl 29
2. Lvl 29
3. Messiek Lvl 30
4. D-psipher Lvl ...30? I think
5. Eyeless orphan Lvl 29

We just need 1. A 30 preferred to make it an even team. I have an oracle checkpoint too :). Pretty sure anyway.

Yep I have the oracle checkpoint.

Join in for the loot!

ok I didn't see this before and got me to lol. DeeJ replied to himself

twidiot.jpg

E92 M3

It was a pretty solid update all things considered. They acknowledged that time invested needs to be respected, but no word on changes.

Strider

LOL they actually took Bastion and First Light out of control/clash and made Combined Arms permanent. I didn't think they'd go that far even though we wanted it but they did. Good choice Bungie.

But yea ultimately they are taking a wait and see approach on how the exotic upgrades play out. Fair enough and expected but I'm still not happy about it. At least for me this means I won't be playing much of TDB though until the time comes that they do actually respect the time put in by the player.

It's fun using swagged out maxed out exotics... not leveling them up. They got it backwards.

Frenden

Banned
The "Scoring Them Upgrades" section doesn't even address our concerns. It muddles the conversation by neither confirming or denying what method they'll use to handle exotic upgrades in the future. It just introduces more vagueness.

Agent

Slaughter Rules
Live right now!
In the event of a massacre, all parties are returned to orbit at the conclusion of the match

Team-based playlists
If one team is grossly under-performing, the session is dissolved in favor of matchmaking

Rumble playlist
If three or more players are grossly under-performing, the session is dissolved in favor of matchmaking

Wait...does this mean the GAF crucible steamrolls are over? This sounds like it could be quite annoying if you are on a good team and you keep getting matched against noobs.

Edit: nevermind.... I read this wrong.

M3Rocket

Levelling exotics is the most arduous task in the game outside of levelling a character.

There are many ways they could have forced us to earn he new upgrades without resetting the ones we already earnt.

We should be able to use the weapons we spent hours upgrading to earn the next tier, not be forced to repeat the exact_same_grind.

This is not fun design.

Seems to me from a technical implementation standpoint, all they would have to do is:

1. Create "Xurbished" versions of all the exotics. Same bubbles in the progression tree, but Xurbish bubbles unlock with much lower XP (say 50% less?) versus the non-Xurbish version.

2. Xurbished version can only be acquired from Xur in exchange for a FULLY UPGRADED non-xurbish version (meaning all bubbles unlocked via XP, but not necessarily purchased).

This would solve a couple of issues including players feeling like all their XP used to upgrade the "old" version is completely devalued.

The NEW non-Xurbished version would simply have the NEW attack values with the same XP progression tree as the OLD non-Xurbished version.

stb

Hard Mode Raid (starting at Gatekeepers, killing Atheon, then starting over) - PS4 - 8pm Eastern

final roster:

1) Dave_6 (PSN DaveS78) - Level 29 Hunter
2) stb (PSN Berried_treasurE) - Level 29 Titan
3) Agent_Tiro (PSN Agent_Tiro) - Level 30 Hunter
4) Temidien (PSN Temidien) - Level 29 Titan
5) schwagger15 (PSN spyder_ur) - Level 29 Titan & Level 29 Warlock
6) Coconut (PSN KrugerrandMan) - Level 29 Hunter

I think I've already sent FR to everyone. Please let me know if you don't have me on your friends list.

Definity

Not sure I understand the slaughter rules that are in the update?
Does that mean my team can be split up if we are winning by large margins?

Strider

Not sure I understand the slaughter rules that are in the update?
Does that mean my team can be split up if we are winning by large margins?

It means if you kick the other teams ass there is no chance you'll play them again. It'll find you a new team to play against.

hydruxo

there's no way they were going to make changes to such a revamp of everything the week before the dlc goes live

Yeah I had no hope for them acknowledging they screwed up with the upgrade system in the weekly update this week. From a business stand point, that would be shooting themselves in the foot right here a few days before the DLC drops. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it makes sense. If they make any changes to it, it'll be after everything goes live and people continue to express their complaints.

Good update overall though. I'm looking forward to playing Salvage more often. Favorite PVP mode!

Frenden

Banned
That update did nothing to assuage the fears of the playerbase (around 80% of folks polled on Bungie's forums disagree with the proposed exotic upgrade methodology) and served to muddle matters further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom