• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidko

6dCJDNq.jpg

Because it would probably suck for the raid and the Nightfall. I'm not really interested in teaching random people how to do the encounters, or dealing with the fallout when they quit over a wipe.

I do agree that you should have matchmaking for the Heroic Weekly. And the Heroic Daily for that matter. And for a Level 28/30 Playlist.

I probably wouldn't be opposed to a Nightfall/Raid matchmaking feature where you can only sign up if you've cleared the content at least 3 times before.....but I think splintering the community like that might be a bad idea.

Er, surely you could choose to not use matchmaking and do it the traditional way in that case.

I fail to see how that is a good argument for not including matchmaking for those people who want to use it.

You do realise there are lots of people who haven't tried this content because they can't or don't want to go scrabbling around on forums or LFG to find people just to play these things.

I'm struggling to see why your preference is more important than theirs. You aren't really splintering people if they aren't playing them at the moment anyway

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Er, surely you could choose to not use matchmaking and do it the traditional way in that case.

I fail to see how that is a good argument for not including matchmaking for those people who want to use it.
Right, just make it opt in. Besides, everyone cheeses nowadays. There isn't anyone who doesn't know how to cheese each strike.

Sykane

Did the patrol mission bounty and got a few engrams.
Visited Master Rahool and turned them in, which in turn leveled him up.
Grabbed my package postmaster, blue chest engram and purple heavy weapon engram
Back to Rahool and turn in the 2 engrams...
...one of which turns into a fucking GJALLARHORN!
Proceeded to run around my house at 1 AM screaming at the top of my lungs like a school girl

Literally a top 5 gaming moment for me.....
congrats guys, i'm sure Xur will be selling it tonight to spite me

Proceeded to run around my house at 1 AM screaming at the top of my lungs like a school girl

Congrats, we'll party tonight when Xur arrives.

Also, is an RNG roll really a top 5 gaming moment?

stb

Mad props to hawkian getting me through my first raid tonight. His patience and taking the time to walk us all through explaining all the lore as we went through made for an awesome time like bungie intended!

Instead of having whoever that imbecile is doing a Red vs Blue impression for the CE promo video, Bungie shoud have Hawkian do a VoG "Lore Tour".

Coconut

Banned
lol Hylebos would do the same thing.

I'm going to do this but make stuff up instead.

"And here is the sight in which the first Vex president threw a silver dollar really hard. and that's why this wall looks like it has a chip in it."

That's why Xur sucks. I got Gjallarhorn too and it was awesome. If i had bought it from Xur it would have been just another weapon I got from Xur

Steroyd

You do realise there are lots of people who haven't tried this content because they can't or don't want to go scrabbling around on forums or LFG to find people just to play these things.

I'm struggling to see why your preference is more important than theirs. You aren't really splintering people if they aren't playing them at the moment anyway

I've heard stories of people being dicks in the LFG website it's bad enough with the only level 30 policy, not all are the same but it is a roll of the dice, plus what happens when one person disconnects/rage quits or quits when they see that 1 level 24 join, how does the game handle the checkpoint system, will you have to exit and start the raid from scratch just to get your 6 people through matchmaking again I'm just not seeing a matchmaking system be a smooth process for raids, it's infuriating enough playing skirmish with randoms.

Homeboyd

That's why Xur sucks. I got Gjallarhorn too and it was awesome. If i had bought it from Xur it would have been just another weapon I got from Xur
Unfortunately the loot game in destiny is pretty poorly executed. So for some people, their only chance at getting exotics is by buying them.. even if they've played the game 10x more than you.

If Xur sells a Hunter chest this weekend, I can become 30. But right now, I'm not sure if it's even worth it with the DLC coming out. What if I can just buy a leg chest with higher light on Tuesday? Decisions decisions.

I've heard stories of people being dicks in the LFG website it's bad enough with the only level 30 policy, not all are the same but it is a roll of the dice, plus what happens when one person disconnects/rage quits or quits when they see that 1 level 24 join, how does the game handle the checkpoint system, will you have to exit and start the raid from scratch just to get your 6 people through matchmaking again I'm just not seeing a matchmaking system be a smooth process for raids, it's infuriating enough playing skirmish with randoms.

There will always be jerks, no matter what system you use, but those seem to be fairly rare. I have had very few issues with randoms on LFG sites. The vast majority play well with others. I have made friends with a few of them and we join up frequently now if available after resets.

Matchmaking is a slightly worse proposition, only due to the fact that you lack the screening process of teaming up in a fireteam beforehand, but I still think it could be viable. Most trolls aren't sophisticated enough to put on a good face early and then unmask themselves later which is why an in-game LFG would be ideal.

Sykane

Congrats, we'll party tonight when Xur arrives.

Also, is an RNG roll really a top 5 gaming moment?

Thanks, I don't think I've ever had something in a videogame happen that literally caused me to throw my controller and run around my house screaming spontaneously. I've had far better actual gaming "accomplishments", but for me that was the gaming equivalent of winning the lottery. According to the app, I have 6 and a half days played in Destiny, and a vast majority of that time was spent with that weapon at the top of my wish list.

If Xur sells a Hunter chest this weekend, I can become 30. But right now, I'm not sure if it's even worth it with the DLC coming out. What if I can just buy a leg chest with higher light on Tuesday? Decisions decisions.

Doubt it would be that fast. You need the Commendation which is probably easy enough, but there could be another catch. You might need to get a new Eris rank up to some level before lvl 30 gear is purchasable.

It wouldn't be too hard to solve these problems. Anyone under 26 can't do the matchmaking, period. And no one under 29 for the hard raid. As for checkpoints, treat it like a strike and you have to start from the beginning if you choose matchmaking.

Just saw an IGN report on Bungie saying they'll be no raid match making. I guess they're happy with only 15-20% of gamers doing the raid.

That is actually a pretty decent percentage for player participation in end-game content. I expect a huge portion of the casual playerbase "finished" the game when they beat the Black Garden and shelved it. 1 in 5 players putting in the huge time investment to be Raid ready seems like a success in this age of short-attention spanned gamers.

WipedOut

Hard Raid tonight, Gatekeeper and Atheon on my Hunter.

Gatekeeper - Chest piece and shards - Already had the chest

Atheon - Helm, Timebreaker and Shards.

All left for me to get is the Vex.

We did it with 3 30's and 3 29's

Ambitious

Remember when they said they wanted people to "put the Destiny universe on the same shelf they put Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or Star Wars"?

Mrgamer

That is actually a pretty decent percentage for player participation in end-game content. I expect a huge portion of the casual playerbase "finished" the game when they beat the Black Garden and shelved it. 1 in 5 players putting in the huge time investment to be Raid ready seems like a success in this age of short-attention spanned gamers.

15 to 20 is alot of people.

Most people at work are under level 29 and never had a raid done or the level 24 strikes weeklys and nightfall.

Mindlog

Consider this.
You buy the armor.
For 7 strange coins you reach level 30.

Pretty great. You didn't have to use any shards, mats or spend any time leveling. Seven coins is a really small hedge.
Of course that's only if Xur brings that chest piece again next week.

Rainmaker

Banned
Unfortunately the loot game in destiny is pretty poorly executed. So for some people, their only chance at getting exotics is by buying them.. even if they've played the game 10x more than you.

5 days and 20 hours invested in Destiny and I have never had an exotic roll. I have had to buy every exotic I own except for two exotic bounties I luckily got.

5 days and 20 hours invested in Destiny and I have never had an exotic roll. I have had to buy every exotic I own except for two exotic bounties I luckily got.

That seems very odd. Nothing from Nightfall or the Raid? They don't drop every time, but if you've done them regularly you should have gotten something by now. You are nearly double my playtime.

I just checked my stats, I am 3 days 18 hours on my main and have had 1 Exotic drop and 4 Exotic Bounties.

Random comment on the new economy, interested in thoughts?

Legendaries still need ass energy and shards to upgrade but the new raid will drop radiant stuff.

I assume this means people will have to run VoG for upgrade materials (its fun anyway so this isn't a chore necessarily)

Are the light numbers needed for 31 and 32 known? Assuming Eris sells 31 gear will you need a full set, completely maxed to get to 31 like you do 30?

If so that's potentially 2 full sets of armour to obtain and level.

Unless people skip the 31 gear, just do the minimum is needed to get to 30 and then wait for 32 gear drops from the raid?

Rainmaker

Banned
That seems very odd. Nothing from Nightfall or the Raid? They don't drop every time, but if you've done them regularly you should have gotten something by now. You are nearly double my playtime.

I just checked my stats, I am 3 days 18 hours on my main and have had 1 Exotic drop and 4 Exotic Bounties.

I've gotten all of the raid legendary armor except for the legs and a couple of the raid legendary guns. Never an exotic from anything except Xur and two bounties and I do everything. I've been doing Nightfalls for around five or so weeks now.

Random comment on the new economy, interested in thoughts?

Legendaries still need ass energy and shards to upgrade but the new raid will drop radiant stuff.

I assume this means people will have to run VoG for upgrade materials (its fun anyway so this isn't a chore necessarily)

Are the light numbers needed for 31 and 32 known? Assuming Eris sells 31 gear will you need a full set, completely maxed to get to 31 like you do 30?

If so that's potentially 2 full sets of armour to obtain and level.

Unless people skip the 31 gear, just do the minimum is needed to get to 30 and then wait for 32 gear drops from the raid?

Of course it's all just speculation until it drops, but I think you have the basic idea. Getting to Level 32 will probably require going through 2 sets of gear. You don't necessarily need to complete the 31 gear since you'll probably start getting Raid gear initially, but yeah, it's probably very similar to vanilla Destiny. First get a complete set of Legendary gear and move on to Raid gear for max level. Ass mats will still be important.

I understand what you mean but I still don't like that he's there. I've bought weapons from him just like everybody else but nothing beats the joy of getting a weapon you've always wanted as a drop

Anybody for Skirmish? Please save me from randoms. Need 1 more. Or Control

Just saw an IGN report on Bungie saying they'll be no raid match making. I guess they're happy with only 15-20% of gamers doing the raid.

Having optional MM would solve a lot of problems, but it's the same reason they didn't want voice chat everywhere. They know about trolls and don't want people to have a bad experience. For me, ideal MM would be:

1.) Weekly and NF always have optional MM.
2.) Optional MM unlocks for normal raid after 2-3 weeks.
3.) No MM for hard raids.

I've played with hundreds of different people. Being able to res on normal raids makes the experience much more accessible whereas a lot of teams struggled on hard. The concept of "stay alive at all costs" is tough to execute. If you want to participate in the highest level PvE activity possible, I think it's reasonable to put in the extra effort of finding a decent group. Between LFG and forums (gaf, reddit, bungie, etc.) it's not too hard to do.

I've played for 2d18h and haven't gone in a raid. I want to, badly, but when I can sign onto destiny I is sporadic. I know nobody who plays videogames but I did just buy a headset and mic, so when I find 5 other people, I'm ready to rock.

I'm hoping tomorrow night after the kids go to bed but I bet the wife will want to watch some tv. Maybe after she goes to bed. We shall see.

(Boy matchmaking sure would be nice, because there is no way I'll have a group of 5 others just waiting around hoping the wife decides she is tired and done watching stupid Scandal. Just to hop right in, make a few introductions and bam, off we go. That would be perfect for me. But I realize, it's not all about me. )

Im sure the actual number is lower than 15-20%

I know several people who have never even attempted the raid yet they have the raid completion trophy because someone they knew cheesed atheon for them.

SkylineRKR

Seriously though Gjallarhorn isn't the end all weapon to me. I actually don't really use it much. Esp. since the patch I love to use Truth in Heroic VoG until Atheon. At GK I almost never go in, we have 2 guys making no mistake there. For Atheon I use CM and pretty much solo oracles. And dat Patience and Time in Time's Vengeance and WoL, like 15 shots worth of 13k damage.

CaptDjob

Neo Member
I
(Boy matchmaking sure would be nice, because there is no way I'll have a group of 5 others just waiting around hoping the wife decides she is tired and done watching stupid Scandal.

When you are able to play, just send message here: "One virgin needs first raid, any spots available, ready to start right away."

I'll bet you find company with few tries.

LordofPwn

90 minutes till xur makes us weep and rage.
Crest of Alpha Lupi Titan, lucky Raspberry hunter, Sunbreakers Warlock, Truth. Exotic Shard. No engram, no heavy ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom