• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridwald

Deej said engrams will appear in Xur's inventory sporadically still (just a bit ago on Twitter).

https://twitter.com/DeeJ_BNG/status/540846908684529664

Considering they give with one hand and take with the other, what happens when they make an engram appear in Xur's inventory .... what will they take away ? .... I think i'm just being paranoid but wouldn't that be possible that they take away the exotic shard to replace by the engram in Xur's inventory ? And Boom! you've been Bungied for your upgrades of exotics because you thought Xur will always sell Exotic shards ...

nah .... that would be so nasty ... nah ...

I know that feel bro, must have done close to 30 hard raids by now, and no vex. :(

Wait... there may be a chance that Xur might drop an exotic engram, nevermind of the type you'd want.

I'll have a million motes of light by then!!

Yo dawg, I heard you like RNG so I put RNG in your RNG in your RNG...

Many of us have a Scrooge McDuck pile of coins. If he was selling Phallichorn or Hawkmoon I would buy either with no regrets, and immediately trade them in for their beefed up counterparts next week. I'm sure many others would also.
alas at the bold. Maybe one day when xbox owners get it. :-(

I probably would have done the same thing as you, but after everything yesterday, I resigned myself to not even concern myself with what Xur was selling. The way my luck has been with this game, I would have bought Gjallerhorn, spent a bunch of stuff on getting the upgrade, then have the damned thing finally drop in a Nightfall or something.

Ambitious

Not sure where to go with Destiny now. I really want to do the Raid a few more times but I just can't find groups looking players at the time when I'm able to play.

Where are you looking? We've got this thread and the Raid/Nightfall thread. From experience, you're going to get more responses if you provide a list with the difficulty level, the start time and your PSN (and maybe your level/class), instead of simply asking whether someone was up for it. Something like:

Normal Raid (starting as soon as we're full)

1. bosseye (Level XX Hunter/Warlock/Titan)

I'm looking for a Nightfall group or a Normal Raid ASAP :) Level 26 Warlock with maxed Vision of Confluence/Hawkmoon/Ice Breaker/Hezen Vengeance/etc.

matmanx1

Random thoughts after my second VOG clear and on the eve of the expansion:

1) VoG is still fun even if it is about to become marginally useful.

2) VoG should still be the easiest place to get the flawless raider trophy even after the DLC drops and elemental primary weapons will still be very handy for Nightfall missions, even at lower attack ratings. (Atheon's Epilogue, Vision of Confluence and Fatebringer, gotta catch em all!)

3) Killing a raid boss should never, NEVER reward only 2 ascendants and a shader. That is just poor.

4) I'm still not happy about the exotic upgrade plan. Anyone who is siting on level 30 by using an exotic will have to de-level to 29 in order to take their exotic past 30 light because of the trade-in program. Congratulations on being less useful and powerful while you grind out that 300,000+ exp!

5) I got a raid chest last night in only my second VoG run. (Lucky me, right?) Combined with my exotic helm and the IB gloves and boots I could hit 30 this weekend if I wanted to. Except that spending an exotic shard on my helm at this point would be asinine (I had all but the last bubble filled in) as would spending shards on my new chest that will most likely be out of date come Tuesday.

6) Destiny is still really fun but some of Bungie's decisions about their game make me shake my head in bewilderment. They have A LOT to learn.

Nodnol

Tempted to spunk my Strange Coins up the wall on Shards, just so I have a small stockpile.

If I do though, you watch him the 'Horn next week.

I am a little concerned about the new randomness of Exotic Engrams that Deej has mentioned. What if the last Xur slot is either a Shard or an Engram. If that is case, if Xur shows up and your desired Exotic is up to bat for upgrade but the Shard is not purchasable because of the Engram you are screwed. Hope you have enoughad motes/coins to overpay and shard something or plan ahead and stockpile shards. This could get very annoying.

rNilla

Hmm, I don't have Helm of Inmost Light, but should I even bother buying it? I'll just have to spend more coins 'upgrading' it.

I don't have it either. I think I'm going to save my coins for the new DLC hotness (and tedious upgrades) and hope that the upgraded version of this is sold (or drops) later down the road.

I am a little concerned about the new randomness of Exotic Engrams that Deej has mentioned. What if the last Xur slot is either a Shard or an Engram. If that is case, if Xur shows up and your desired Exotic is up to bat for upgrade but the Shard is not purchasable because of the Engram you are screwed. Hope you have enoughad motes/coins to overpay and shard something or plan ahead and stockpile shards. This could get very annoying.

That is an excellent question and we won't know until the DLC hits.

blazeuk

Hmm, I don't have Helm of Inmost Light, but should I even bother buying it? I'll just have to spend more coins 'upgrading' it.

It all depends on whether you absolutely want it, there's no guarantee it'll show up again for a while. This whole upgrade thing has left the game in a bit of a weird phase, there's not much point in working on any exotics you currently have until next week now and outside of raiding that's pretty much all I've been doing lately.

Daemul

I just bought it since it's a much higher stat roll than my current one(near max) and I have enough coins to waste. When Xur offers the option to upgrade, I can upgrade it and level it up whilst still wearing my current, fully upgraded one, so that I don't lose the perks.

LiK

It has great perks for Striker but it doesn't look good with a lot of Shaders. I bought mine just to complete the collection.

Will Xur ever sell exotic engrams for weapons. . .

Also I might stock up on 3 exotic shards right now, I also still have an extra truth I need to discard for a shard and the Hunter exotic arm piece I don't want. No need to stash exotics I will never wear.

Lastly, I saw a lot of talk about upgrading weapons twice with Xur, but what will happen to exotic armor? Are they forever going to be subpar compared to the new DLC exotics?

Deku Tree

Will Xur ever sell exotic engrams for weapons. . .

Also I might stock up on 3 exotic shards right now, I also still have an extra truth I need to discard for a shard and the Hunter exotic arm piece I don't want. No need to stash exotics I will never wear.

Lastly, I saw a lot of talk about upgrading weapons twice with Xur, but what will happen to exotic armor? Are they forever going to be subpar compared to the new DLC exotics?

Exotic armor has the same horrible story as weapons...

X-Frame

It's mostly a fun PvP-only helm so you won't really need to upgrade it unless you want to use it in Iron Banner (I would rather use Armamentarium anyway for IB).

Plus, it has a high stat roll today as well which is another positive. Mine that I bought the first week that it was available is at +86 Strength without the last (former ascendant shard) upgrades but today's maxes out at over +100 Strength.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dammit, I've waited weeks for a Warlock helmet and now I'm not sure if I should buy it.

http://destinydb.com/guardians/playstation/2014120915133761381-drcrispy93

Click on his helmet and the pop up window says 68 Int+Dis and 36 light.

Edit: but something is still funky since it says all his gear goes to 36 light, so who knows. Probably shouldn't totally trust his player profile.

I hope this is true. I'm #Forever29 at 114 light so a +6 to my Praxic Fire or Voidfang would get me to level 30 real quick.

MADGAME

I think it would be safer to upgrade all your exotic armor as Xur makes them available to be safe, or at least one of each type.

I normally roll Armentarium for my exotic but if I only upgrade that and not the others, maybe I get a raid chest piece in Crota's End. Now I have 2 of the same armor negating each other, when I could roll with the Raid chest piece and an exotic helmet or arms if I had previously upgraded them. If you wait to upgrade your other exotic armor until after you obtain a piece of Raid gear, you are at the mercy of Xur's rotation.

You can argue using new Legendaries to supplement but those aren't going to get you to 32.

Not really - because you buy the engram, shard it and use that shard to do your upgrade...so Xur can oscillate between turning strange coins into shards and motes in to shards...

I hadn't realised - the upgrade route doesnt make much sense, assuming Xur will sell the new item again. Esepcially for armour.

Say you have voidfang now, and want a new fully maxed one. If you upgrade its 7 coins, plus glimmer, then another 7 coins for the final upgrade bubble, that's 14 coins.

If you buy a new one, it's 13 coins PLUS you can shard the old one...so it's cheaper to buy a new one!?

I guess this is only true for armour because weapons are more expensive to buy new.

realcZk

woot, heavy ammo synth again! time to stock up for crota's end
i have 151 coins so I'll be buying light beyond nemesis for the collection, what a cool looking helm

Fistwell

So it will just depends on if Xur comes to upgrade them? Sigh.
Oh, had not considered that... So if the helm is HM only, getting to 32 before January will involve hoping Xur has the correct exotic helm available to upgrade at some point? lol *snort*

Fuck this game.

Deku Tree

I think it would be safer to upgrade all your exotic armor as Xur makes them available to be safe, or at least one of each type.

I normally roll Armentarium for my exotic but if I only upgrade that and not the others, maybe I get a raid chest piece in Crota's End. Now I have 2 of the same armor negating each other, when I could roll with the Raid chest piece and an exotic helmet or arms if I had previously upgraded them. If you wait to upgrade your other exotic armor until after you obtain a piece of Raid gear, you are at the mercy of Xur's rotation.

You can argue using new Legendaries to supplement but those aren't going to get you to 32.

For maximum light, after TDB you gotta roll with any upgraded Exotic helmet that you can get until a Raid helmet comes along... and the hard raid isn't opening up until some unspecified time in January 2015 so probably we won't see TDB raid helmets until we beat Crota on Hard (going by the VoG system) and also RNG and that wait could be a long one.

MADGAME

For maximum light, after TDB you gotta roll with any upgraded Exotic helmet that you can get until a Raid helmet comes along... and the hard raid isn't opening up until some unspecified time in January 2015 so probably we won't see TDB raid helmets until we beat Crota on Hard (going by the VoG system) and also RNG and that wait could be a long one.

I know VoG was that way; are we assuming or do we know for certain that the new Raid helmet is only available in hard mode?

realcZk

I know VoG was that way; are we assuming or do we know for certain that the new Raid helmet is only available in hard mode?

I really feel like it's gonna be a normal drop. According to datamining, VoG used to have different colored gear sets for normal vs hard. With the loot changes to the new raid I wonder if they've made all the armor obtainable now, but just the primary weapons are waiting for us in the hard raid.

Jinjo

Since hard raid is level 33 and all primaries are already hard-mode only, I sure as fucking hell hope not.

Fact that primaries are hard mode only this time around (it wasn't in VoG) should support the fact that it might be different this time around. But nobody knows yet.

phen0m24

I bought inmost light. My Titan has been 29 for too long.

If the rumor is true and I have to re ignite the inmost light then so be it. At least ONE of my characters WILL be 30, dang it! Collapses...

Now I realized I may have deleted my plasteel plating. Ohhhhhh boy.

MADGAME

I really feel like it's gonna be a normal drop. According to datamining, VoG used to have different colored gear sets for normal vs hard. With the loot changes to the new raid I wonder if they've made all the armor obtainable now, but just the primary weapons are waiting for us in the hard raid.

Just assuming for now... there is no solid info that I know about.

Another mystery. Nice. Think I will upgrade all exotic armor, as Xur makes it available. It will be the safest option to level up the fastest and keep your loadouts flexible.

realcZk

I bought inmost light. My Titan has been 29 for too long.

If the rumor is true and I have to re ignite the inmost light then so be it. At least ONE of my characters WILL be 30, dang it! Collapses...

Now I realized I may have deleted my plasteel plating. Ohhhhhh boy.

inmost light is an awesome helm, one of the most powerful exotic helms in the game in my opinion since it gives you two free class perks!

and dude... YOU DELETED YOUR PLASTEELS? having that be the bottleneck sucks so bad. quickest way to farm more is probably to do mindless chest runs on mars/moon or whatever route nets you the most chests/hr for all those greens you can dismantle. if you can find a good infinite spinmetal chest run you can get quite a few in an hour.

realcZk

I honestly don't know, maybe someone else knows?

So if I leave my vanguard packages unopened till thuesday that works right? The commendations are IN the vanguard packages?

I'm trying the exact same thing but I don't have my hopes up. (Yep , they should come inside the packages).

spyder_ur

4) I'm still not happy about the exotic upgrade plan. Anyone who is siting on level 30 by using an exotic will have to de-level to 29 in order to take their exotic past 30 light because of the trade-in program. Congratulations on being less useful and powerful while you grind out that 300,000+ exp!

Do we know this for sure? Couldn't it just start at 30 light, the way weapons now start at 302?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom