• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Frame

Does anyone else think that maxing out exotic weapons for the next few weeks is not going to be worth the Exotic Shard?

If you ReXurbish your exotic weapon, and they max at 331 -- then if you stop right before the last upgrade you'll be at probably 325 or something, a negligible difference when there is no Hard Raid anyway.

At least for me, I'll be using Exotic Shards off the bat after Xur comes next Friday just to be able to re-level exotic armor pieces that I want for each class (i.e. Armamentarium). That last defense upgrade is absolutely worth the Exotic Shard because it'll max out the Light levels.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Was doing Crucible, got a Special Weapons Legendary Engram, went to see what it will become...

GggblSH.jpg

Thanks Cryptarch
Funny how a Special Weapon became an Exotic Primary

forrest

formerly nacire
Does anyone else think that maxing out exotic weapons for the next few weeks is not going to be worth the Exotic Shard?

If you ReXurbish your exotic weapon, and they max at 331 -- then if you stop right before the last upgrade you'll be at probably 325 or something, a negligible difference when there is no Hard Raid anyway.

At least for me, I'll be using Exotic Shards off the bat after Xur comes next Friday just to be able to re-level exotic armor pieces that I want for each class (i.e. Armamentarium). That last defense upgrade is absolutely worth the Exotic Shard because it'll max out the Light levels.

Due to light level's contribution to dmg output, everyone should be prioritizing armor imo.

That is a good point, I am not entirely sure how the damage calculation works, but against level 30 enemies I don't think you will see much if any damage increase with the weapon fully maxed. It's the hard Raid where you need that maxed.

I plan on focusing on exotic gear too. Power leveling your gear early will pay off more in the long run.

That makes a lot of sense. How many shards are you guys buying? Are you getting a bunch now just in case Xur decides to sell engrams instead of shards, or just waiting until next week? I think 9 should be pretty good, 6 for one armor on each toon, and 3 just to get reXurbished guns, not worrying about maxing them.

Manp

Congrats, just in time for TDB. I am right behind you. Just 11 shards shy and I will be there too. Stupid daily's giving me energy all week.

stupid rng...

i have everything upgraded and still have like 50 shards left, too bad the only things i'll be able to use and keep lvl 30 are the helm of inmost light and kabr brazen grips.
until i get a >= 30 light helm (like something from dlc) my no backup plans and crest of alpha lupi are useless :(

i'm glad i still have a choice tho

Now do it for all 3 classes! One of us! One of us!

tell that to my lvl 2 hunter lol

Finally hit level 30 today after I bought an exotic chest for my Hunter. Gave up on trying to get the raid chest to drop when the raid helmet dropped for me about 7 times so far. .

stupid rng...

i have everything upgraded and still have like 50 shards left, too bad the only things i'll be able to use and keep lvl 30 are the helm of inmost light and kabr brazen grips.
until i get a >= 30 light helm (like something from dlc) my no backup plans and crest of alpha lupi are useless :(

i'm glad i still have a choice tho

I got lucky and have Exotic Helms for 2 classes. I figure for the dlc I will make a 2nd hunter and give it my lvl30 hand me downs. It is just taking way too long level a different class alt to be farm efficient.

X-Frame

That makes a lot of sense. How many shards are you guys buying? Are you getting a bunch now just in case Xur decides to sell engrams instead of shards, or just waiting until next week? I think 9 should be pretty good, 6 for one armor on each toon, and 3 just to get reXurbished guns, not worrying about maxing them.

I was going to buy some today, but I don't know why I'd need them over the next week if they won't be used until Xur comes back anyway for me to upgrade gear that Xur may or may not even have.

The only way I'd use them over the next week is if a DLC exotic armor piece drops that I want to end up using on a character, and then maxing that piece out -- which seems unlikely. So I might as well just wait until next Friday when Xur returns.

Unless I am missing something?

I was going to buy some today, but I don't know why I'd need them over the next week if they won't be used until Xur comes back anyway for me to upgrade gear that Xur may or may not even have.

The only way I'd use them over the next week is if a DLC exotic armor piece drops that I want to end up using on a character, and then maxing that piece out -- which seems unlikely. So I might as well just wait until next Friday when Xur returns.

Unless I am missing something?

I would buy a couple to be prepared. Details are vague, but if the Exotic Engram is still a possible item for Xur as DeeJ mentioned, it may swap out with the Shard slot on those weeks. If that is the case you would need to scrap an exotic to get your shard. Best to have some onhand until we know how Xur works.

Just got to level 30 with my hunter, gonna try to make a warlock. Any tips or advice that will make things go quickly and smoothly as possible?

Also want to have a pop at the hard raid at some point tomorrow (gmt) so I'm all set for the dlc, if anyone's up for it?

X-Frame

I would buy a couple to be prepared. Details are vague, but if the Exotic Engram is still a possible item for Xur as DeeJ mentioned, it may swap out with the Shard slot on those weeks. If that is the case you would need to scrap an exotic to get your shard. Best to have some onhand until we know how Xur works.

That is a very good point, it wouldn't hurt if I'm going to end up buying them anyway. Thanks!

I have 39 exotic weapons (21 duplicates) so I'll be keeping all my maxed weapons and upgrading a duplicate (8 of 9 maxed weapons have an un-leveled duplicate). Then I'll use any left overs for shards. With gear, have they said if Xur-upgraded armor will start at light level 30? If so, then I'll just upgrade and re-level maxed stuff and shard any duplicates.

So, I don't plan on buying any shards for the time being but it depends on how many different exotics Xur allows to upgrade. (Edit: But 7 strange coins is a reasonable price to pay for peace of mind regardless).

This is what I'm thinking. It would suck if he had IB for upgrade, but wasn't selling shards. Then didn't sell IB again for a month. Or whatever exotic you may need to hit 31. Or the Vex gun. I just don't trust that guy...

I don't have nearly the amount of dupes as Bog above. I dismantled them for ass mats when it became apparent that they wouldn't be doing trading anytime soon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

this is accurate.

related note: unleveled armor will give you the most bang for your buck from an exotic shard upgrade. after that, maxed armor. then weapons that you've invested nothing into (such as duplicates). after that, maxed weapons whose unique perks are not hugely important for overall effectiveness (ice breaker, hawkmoon, plan c, etc.), and finally other maxed exotic weapons.

Dave_6

Anyone doing a hard raid from the beginning? I've done from the templar/oracles onward this week so I need the first chest and whatever drops after defending the confluxes.

Lima

The shooting in this game is magnificent. For all it's shortcomings how this didn't win Best Shooter at TGA is beyond me.

Coconut

Banned
The shooting in this game is magnificent. For all it's shortcomings how this didn't win Best Shooter at TGA is beyond me.

Because award shows are representation of how much money a company contributed to an award show. All across the board the Grammys are the biggest offender.

On a side note I wish I had an Unupgraded Suros tgat slower fire while aiming sights upgrade is total trash.

neoism

so guys is there more ways to get level 30 in the expansion or do I still have to do hard raids... I'm 28 now and can probably get to 29 but two of my legs are not even worth maxing.. not sure about the expack yet but if I dont get it til the 2nd one I'll be left behind even more.. :/

Lima

On a side note I wish I had an Unupgraded Suros tgat slower fire while aiming sights upgrade is total trash.

Suros is total trash for everything now. It's weak in PvE because they continue to nerf it to death. First the crit modifier and now the perk that the damage continually rises towards the end of the mag. Instead you get that shit glass half full perk that most other legendary AR's have and it barely does more damage.

The only case you can make for it now is PvP and even there I'd rather use a Vanquisher so I can use an exotic special or heavy or get with the times and use a hand cannon or scout rifle.

The age of AR is over. I sharded my Suros today.

so guys is there more ways to get level 30 in the expansion or do I still have to do hard raids... I'm 28 now and can probably get to 29 but two of my legs are not even worth maxing.. not sure about the expack yet but if I dont get it til the 2nd one I'll be left behind even more.. :/

Details are no yet known, but yes. It probably comes from the new Legendery sets from faction vendors next week. Light level 32 will take Raid gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom