• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

I don't know why Plan C is so much more fun to use than other fusion rifles in Crucible, but it is. I use it like a primary weapon though and never really take advantage of the Plan C fast switch perk.

Drain You

Just watched that video on IGN, so excited. New legendary weapons are coming correct? Will the base damage be the same as it is now?

Deej is a master at dodging questions both in print and verbally.

I like how he answers questions. Seems pretty honest to me, doesn't get anyones hopes up.

kidko

I like how he answers questions. Seems pretty honest to me, doesn't get anyones hopes up.

I agree. He can't go about promising things that the design team hasn't agreed to. He's just the messenger, and one who obviously gives a fuck about his game. I would never want his job... the amount of shit he must get from both players and devs...

p.s. Yolandi <3

Also, any one willing to drag a 29 warlock through hard raid? I've never done hard but would love a shot at some loot. Hate being #forever29 going into the DLC next week :(

Magik

Just solo'd Xyor.... not that hard actually. Glad its finally over.

Now hopefully when I finish it on Tuesday it has the new stats.

Once you know the cheese method, not to mention have a good heavy weapon, Xyor solo isn't much of an issue. The difficult aspects are the first room with those charging Anointed Wizards and how much time it takes to go through all the waves.

But it's a lot more fun with people.
I just preordered the dark below on psn and the destiny icon is displaying a timer and won't let me play the game did this happen to anyone else?

I haven't seen or heard of that before. Odd.

someday

Banned
so my digital download edition of Destiny is currently not letting me play it. It says it has a day and a half to wait for the preorder to unlock. I've been playing it since launch basically and it just started doing this.

I power cycled, signed out and in of PSN and restored licenses and it still is showing that it is a preorder. Any ideas?

I just preordered the dark below on psn and the destiny icon is displaying a timer and won't let me play the game did this happen to anyone else?
I had this happen to me. I ended up having to delete it and am in the process of downloading the original game again. I don' t even know if this will fix it but that's all the sony chat guy had to offer me. I tried renewing my licenses, signing out and back in, etc and nothing helped. I'll let you know if this works but it's taking so long I probably won't even get a chance to see tonight.

Just watched that video on IGN, so excited. New legendary weapons are coming correct? Will the base damage be the same as it is now?

I guess I just appreciate his ability to say so much without actually saying anything at all. But as a representative of Bungie and someone that seems highly media trained I understand that he has restrictions about what he can and can't say.

I don't agree with DeeJ on matchmaking. Yesterday we needed one person to complete our fireteam for a raid so I found someone on DestinyLFG.com and we finished the raid just fine.

exYle

I don't agree with DeeJ on matchmaking. Yesterday we needed one person to complete our fireteam for a raid so I found someone on DestinyLFG.com and we finished the raid just fine.

But his argument is that someone could pop into the raid, not knowing the time & effort commitment it takes, and then duck out early if they so choose. Someone on DestinyLFG is not likely to be unaware of what the raid entails.

I had this happen to me. I ended up having to delete it and am in the process of downloading the original game again. I don' t even know if this will fix it but that's all the sony chat guy had to offer me. I tried renewing my licenses, signing out and back in, etc and nothing helped. I'll let you know if this works but it's taking so long I probably won't even get a chance to see tonight.

Yeah I was just on bungies forums apparently redownloading the game works but I bought it as a digital download kinda regretting that now lol

Strider

But his argument is that someone could pop into the raid, not knowing the time & effort commitment it takes, and then duck out early if they so choose. Someone on DestinyLFG is not likely to be unaware of what the raid entails.

Yep. Someone browsing external sources is clearly more invested in the game n knows what the raid entails. So I can def see why they won't add matchmaking for the raid.

I do think they should add optional (keyword optional) matchmaking to the weekly and nightfall though. That stuff is plenty doable for any group as long as they are the appropriate level.

So allow join in progress? Allow us to queue for specific checkpoints?

This isn't rocket science.

Yeah, I just finished the last bounty for Pocket Infinity, hoping I get a nice level 32 exotic when I hand it in on Tuesday!

thanks, I thought about deleting it but didn't want to deal with PSN's slow ass downloads if if I wasn't sure it was going to work. I'm interested to see if it works for you.

Just wondering, but will I still be able to get to level 31 without having to buy the DLC? By upgrading an exotic armor and buying the faction legendaries?

If that's possible, I wonder if the non DLC people will be able to get to level 32 or 33 when the 2nd DLC rolls around..

border

Normal raid down.

I got lots of ascendant energy and Chatterwhite.

Same here. Except that I got a second Monte Carlo along with all the shards and energy. Makes me wish this game had a trading system, since I'd easily give up the Monte Carlo for some Ascendent Energy.

Thanks to everyone that ran with us! Pretty nice run, considering that it was your first time. It was nice to have someone explain all the encounters, for those of us that just sat by idly and killed adds in previous runs. I've never done Templar without cheese so it was cool to see it done straight up.

exYle

So allow join in progress? Allow us to queue for specific checkpoints?

This isn't rocket science.

You could, but there's so much logistical problems with it in almost every permutation...

For any fireteam of less than 6 players, it requires nigh-perfect communication. Hell, even for a full fireteam, great communication is needed. What happens if six lone people are matchmade together? Will there be a mic check just to be matchmade? What if they're all silent - how on earth will they hope to defeat Atheon without the random home team knowing which side the random away team is on? What about a lone raider joining a fireteam of 5 who are in a party, and has no way of communicating with them?
What about a party of 5 who has the 6th random raider ditch when they realize they don't like raiding. Then, a new raider JIPs and sees that they're at Atheon and half of the team is already down. God know it sucks joining a Crucible match at its conclusion on the losing side, could you imagine wanting to do the fresh raid and getting Atheon instead? Or your idea for a queue for specific checkpoints. Lone raider looking for Gorgon checkpoint. Would you be matchmade with only people looking for that checkpoint, too? Or will you be forced to wait until a less-than-full raiding party reaches the Gorgons? I mean, there's a reason why you can't filter for a certain map when matchmaking - it exponentially increases the wait time.

I understand and empathize with those people without the resources to find 5 (or less) other people to do the raid with, but this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for Bungie. Obviously, excluding matchmaking for the raid has earned a lot of criticism, but if the option was there, the criticism for poor matchmaking results would be just as frequent (see the consistent agony over various Crucible matchmaking mishaps).

People who flaunt "options" as a positive fail to realize that people only tend to praise the allowance of options once it is added after people criticized its absence - having the options there in the first place is hardly ever noticed (think of the early issues in the Destiny community where people had to constantly explain that RNG was NOT the only way to get Legendary weapons and armour - there was the option to get them through Crucible/Vanguard marks). What this manifests as is community criticism towards Bungie for whatever functions, form, and options are available in the game at time of launch, and it is revision that is praised or further criticized.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I just got a second Invective and now I read in the thread that I should have waited until Tuesday to finish the bounty.

What will be different?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
an in-game fireteam listings board solves all of the problems purported to be solved by matchmaking, with none of the drawbacks. a brief message that succinctly sets expectations (fresh run newbies welcome, Atheon Hard 30s only, Need Help at Gorgon checkpoint, etc.) goes an enormous way toward ensuring aligned goals and eventual success for a group. The likelihood of being put into a situation where you have no idea what's going on or what to do, using such a system, is incredibly low. no queues are needed nor any new multi-part matchmaking criteria. It could be a board next to the bounty board in the tower, but also as in the event of someone dropping out in the raid and needing a replacement, accessible from the ghost screen. Of course, this could be used for the Nightfall and Weekly strikes (or any other content) as well.

essentially, all of the functionality of a site like destinylfg.net just needs to be replicated in game. Guild Wars 2 went through the same QoL evolution. Now, forming a pick-up group inside GW2 is straightfoward and sites like www.gw2lfg.com are basically defunct.

i'd expect something like that to be added to the game by the end of its lifespan. but don't expect to see matchmaking.

exYle

an in-game fireteam listings board solves all of the problems purported to be solved by matchmaking, with none of the drawbacks. a brief message that succinctly sets expectations (fresh run newbies welcome, Atheon Hard 30s only, Need Help at Gorgon checkpoint, etc.) goes an enormous way toward ensuring aligned goals and eventual success for a group. The likelihood of being put into a situation where you have no idea what's going on or what to do, using such a system, is incredibly low. no queues are needed nor any new multi-part matchmaking criteria. It could be a board next to the bounty board in the tower, but also as in the event of someone dropping out in the raid and needing a replacement, accessible from the ghost screen. Of course, this could be used for the Nightfall and Weekly strikes (or any other content) as well.

essentially, all of the functionality of a site like destinylfg.net just needs to be replicated in game. Guild Wars 2 went through the same QoL evolution. Now, forming a pick-up group inside GW2 is straightfoward and sites like www.gw2lfg.com are basically defunct.

i'd expect something like that to be added to the game by the end of its lifespan. but don't expect to see matchmaking.

I'd like this. Perhaps using a Dark Souls-like interface to restrict the language and terms players can use.

GhaleonEB

I was conflicted about whether the raid should have matchmaking prior to playing it. I'm no longer conflicted: it would be an absolute clusterfuck. No one would have a good experience; exYle outlined it well.

For those with 3 level 30 characters, which one are you going to try to push to 32-33 first?

Even though I started with a hunter the thought hasn't crossed my mind. Unsure whether to do Warlock or Titan first. I really enjoy having access to the bubble for PVE but I enjoy the the Warlock grenades and supers just as much. I can't pick.

SnakeEyes

Banned
So tomorrow is December 9th in NZ, The Dark Below release date.

Anyone know if Bungie is doing the same thing release-wise, like they did with the game itself, where it is available in NZ first?

bachikarn

So put some warnings? Lock people out from match making if they abandon too much?

Also, I still don't see how match making is worse? No one is forcing you to use match making. So if you get frustrated with the people that you get paired up with in match making, you create your own fireteam as if there was no match making. I don't get why having more options is a bad thing.

milkham

For those with 3 level 30 characters, which one are you going to try to push to 32-33 first?

Even though I started with a hunter the thought hasn't crossed my mind. Unsure whether to do Warlock or Titan first. I really enjoy having access to the bubble for PVE but I enjoy the the Warlock grenades and supers just as much. I can't pick.

Do you really have any choice though? Its not like you can use marks from one character to buy armor for another. Rngesus will decide for all of us.

exYle

So put some warnings? Lock people out from match making if they abandon too much?

Also, I still don't see how match making is worse? No one is forcing you to use match making. So if you get frustrated with the people that you get paired up with in match making, you create your own fireteam as if there was no match making. I don't get why having more options is a bad thing.

Because either way, it attracts a great deal of criticism. I explained myself in much more depth earlier in the thread:

For any fireteam of less than 6 players, it requires nigh-perfect communication. Hell, even for a full fireteam, great communication is needed. What happens if six lone people are matchmade together? Will there be a mic check just to be matchmade? What if they're all silent - how on earth will they hope to defeat Atheon without the random home team knowing which side the random away team is on? What about a lone raider joining a fireteam of 5 who are in a party, and has no way of communicating with them?
What about a party of 5 who has the 6th random raider ditch when they realize they don't like raiding. Then, a new raider JIPs and sees that they're at Atheon and half of the team is already down. God know it sucks joining a Crucible match at its conclusion on the losing side, could you imagine wanting to do the fresh raid and getting Atheon instead? Or your idea for a queue for specific checkpoints. Lone raider looking for Gorgon checkpoint. Would you be matchmade with only people looking for that checkpoint, too? Or will you be forced to wait until a less-than-full raiding party reaches the Gorgons? I mean, there's a reason why you can't filter for a certain map when matchmaking - it exponentially increases the wait time.

I understand and empathize with those people without the resources to find 5 (or less) other people to do the raid with, but this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for Bungie. Obviously, excluding matchmaking for the raid has earned a lot of criticism, but if the option was there, the criticism for poor matchmaking results would be just as frequent (see the consistent agony over various Crucible matchmaking mishaps).

People who flaunt "options" as a positive fail to realize that people only tend to praise the allowance of options once it is added after people criticized its absence - having the options there in the first place is hardly ever noticed (think of the early issues in the Destiny community where people had to constantly explain that RNG was NOT the only way to get Legendary weapons and armour - there was the option to get them through Crucible/Vanguard marks). What this manifests as is community criticism towards Bungie for whatever functions, form, and options are available in the game at time of launch, and it is revision that is praised or further criticized.

Do you really have any choice though? Its not like you can use marks from one character to buy armor for another. Rngesus will decide for all of us.

I don't have it in my heart to play that much anymore lol

Will collect marks and shit and do the raid with just one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom