• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klyka

Banned
Should people who are 30 and haven't played any of the new content yet immediately go buy what they can to get to 31 (say they have enough marks to buy all 4 pieces), or should they play through the raid at 30 (if it's even possible) and try to get gear drops first? (or play through other content to try and get level 31 drops?)

Trying to figure out how to tackle all this in the order that makes the most sense.

Raid first because you could get raid item drops.

That way you won't buy items and then have to immediately switch them out or have bought them for no reason.

Well, I woke up early this morning to play a little before work. My hunter was close to Dead Orbit rank up so I knew I could get a commendation and grab a new chest (the only thing keeping me forever 29 on my hunter). Ranked up after a few bounties, grabbed the package. It had a commendation and an upgraded set of boots. Score!

Read a lot of stuff on here, a lot of negativity. Seems to me the result of some mismatched expectations. I think for the most part, a majority of "shortcomings" expressed should have been expected. My thoughts so far:

• Nice that only chest/helm requires a commendation. Makes the gearing up FAR less grindy, and is a godsend for people just jumping into Destiny, with or without the expansion.
  • New strike showing up in the weekly rotation...not a surprise. Yes, shitty that Bungie didn't make it so non-DLC owners have a different strike instead, but it definitely should NOT be a surprise that they are trying to get people to play their new strike in a relevant fashion. In fact, not putting it on the rotation would make it overall pretty irrelevant and unplayed.
  • Sounds like the raid is tough. Happy to hear this.
  • Removing the engram rewards from level 24 and making level 26 strikes DLC locked...that's kind of a bummer for non DLC owners.

All in all, I guess I am having a hard time understanding why people are surprised about some of these things. Of course, it is a personal choice whether or not to buy DLC, it always is. Perhaps Bungie could be doing more to accommodate those who opt out. But there has to be significant incentive for people to purchase the DLC.

And to people complaining that VoG gear is now "irrelevant" or saying that there was no yield to having raided...you've probably never played a loot game with progression before. First of all, the number one thing you got from doing VoG was a good time. The Vault was the best piece of content in the game, and raiding with your buddies is a great experience. Don't overlook that. This is a game, after all.

The point of endgame content, realistically, is to get you as ready as possible for new endgame content whenever it launches. Being level 30 today means being able to face all of the new content we have available. The strike is up to level 30, the missions go up to level 30, and stepping foot in the raid under level 30 is not even feasible.

Level 30 players have more flexibility with new gear options, as well. On my titan, for instance, I won't be purchasing any new vendor gear yet. Not until I play some of the raid and get the shaft from RNG. Since I can tackle the raid as I stand, that means I have a shot at even better gear without the grind of buying it from a vendor. In fact, it is feasible for me to not ever buy vendor gear on my titan. That's huge - I get to skip a significant grind with him. My hunter and warlock, on the other hand, have to do some grinding.

This is how a progression game works. You work hard for loot, so you can be ready to have it replaced by even better loot later. Your work to get the loot was not a waste. Aside from time savings and overall preparedness for new content, endgame content and loot acquisition is the core fun of a game like this.

As I have always said, and will always say - if you did not enjoy progressing your character, you should find something else to do with your time. If you are frustrated, angry, not enjoying the game...stop playing! It's not about the destination, it's about the path you took to get there. If that doesn't sound enjoyable to you, then this game (any loot game, for that matter) isn't for you.

Temidien

Neo Member
I did the same thing. I wanted to make sure I hit 30 before the DLC dropped. Not necessarily to be ready, but just for the completion of a personal goal. I suppose it was a waste of valuable resources, but oh well. Lol.

I probably should have just bought new vendor gear too.

I understand the frustration but for me, it was a personal goal. I was 153 hours into the game before I finally hit 30 (RNGesus can be a cruel god) and I pushed to achieve that before the DLC dropped as a personal aspiration.

I play this game because I enjoy the mechanics, the RNG grind, the community built here in GAF, and the excitement of speculating new content and cheese opportunities. 30 was just a number, as 32 is now. Something to look forward to and to work towards, but not the reason to play.

Are the commendations faction specific? Or are they generic? If so, I can level up my Dead Orbit and receive a generic commendation to spend on Vanguard gear?

zlatko

Banned
So I tried to leave the game on to install itself overnight last night. Woke up and it made zero movement...

I uninstalled the app, downloading the updated of 2.4 some GB, then went back to try to install Destiny. It just hangs on 8.54GB at 53% and I can hear the disc twirling every 2 seconds inside the PS4.

What do I do?

What the hell is RNG?

nUQACjz.jpg

RoKKeR

Can somebody tell me why in the fuck they removed Cryptarch Engrams from the non-DLC strike playlists?

As someone who doesn't have the DLC that is a huge slap in the face. I just don't get it.

So I tried to leave the game on to install itself overnight last night. Woke up and it made zero movement...

I uninstalled the app, downloading the updated of 2.4 some GB, then went back to try to install Destiny. It just hangs on 8.54GB at 53% and I can hear the disc twirling every 2 seconds inside the PS4.

What do I do?
Try to re-install, I guess

Future

Trust me your vault of glass gear is not irrelevant. I don't have much and only made it to 29, and I am suffering with this new DLC content from the start. I'm gonna need to grind extra, and while it's nice that it will be putting me on the road to 31, I'm having a much more difficult time than players with raid gear and upgraded exotics

Nodnol

Ah I've just thought.

I buy 3 Vanguard pieces. I can probably level them up before the weekend, switching gear over when I hand in bounties.

The only missing piece is my Exotic helmet.

But... If I upgrade it via Xur, what am I gunna wear instead? :-(

Can somebody tell me why in the fuck they removed Cryptarch Engrams from the non-DLC strike playlists?

As someone who doesn't have the DLC that is a huge slap in the face. I just don't get it.

this is almost like microtransactions or something. they rrrrrrrrrrreally want you to buy the DLC....

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I honestly wouldn't consider VoG/IB gear irrelevant yet at all. I can see it looking that way to people who need to hit 32 as quickly as possible. But there are a number of different ways one could hit 30 now, the new "gelcap"/new 28; Only the most hardcore among are trying to get to 31 and beyond this week. having characters sit comfortably at 30 for a while, as I did with my hunter and warlock at 28, will be very useful until another Light increase and VoG gear will help get you there quicker even if it doesn't take you beyond it.

zlatko

Banned
Try to re-install, I guess

I tried to close the app and it got it a few % going quite quick, then boom hung up again.... seems like I'll just have to close the app nonstop until it gets places.

My first time installing the game on release was flawless. Went quick like a shot out of a cannon. I had to factory reset my PS4 due to Dragon Age issues, and now I regret it big time. Ugh.

VoG isn't irrelevant at all for Normal Mode CE. You can still easily beat part 1, and part 2 is not super easy but still very doable. All with PRE-DLC gear/weapons.

like really cant even do the nightfall or heroic this week.
and the tiger strike playlist doesnt reward engrams, thats whack.

welp i guess its time to farm some engrams.

I'm fairly certain the Nightfall/Weekly DLC-lockout is not intentional
See: The First Public Event of the Day getting disabled by mistake

So I guess upgrading your armor is more imporatant than your weapons at this point right?

Seems like everyone is rushing to get the new gear.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Should people who are 30 and haven't played any of the new content yet immediately go buy what they can to get to 31 (say they have enough marks to buy all 4 pieces), or should they play through the raid at 30 (if it's even possible) and try to get gear drops first? (or play through other content to try and get level 31 drops?)

Trying to figure out how to tackle all this in the order that makes the most sense.
Decent enough dilemma, I don't feel comfortable really answering one way or another until breaking my back against the raid as a 30. If I had to guess though, I'd say there are some chances (one or more) for loot drops in the Raid that you could get before the point at which the benefit of being 31/32 outpace the benefit of being in there early on.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I guess upgrading your armor is more imporatnt than your weapons at this point right?

Absolutely, 100% yes. It always has been, because of the way Light level affects damage done and received.

ocean

Banned
I've got my boots and Gauntlets at +33 (Vanguard). Now I can afford either Helm or Chest from Crucible but I can't chose yet :/ need to wait on Xûr to check which Exotic I'll be able to upgrade.

Ideally he'd bring Armamentarium because grenade tits are the best.

Navy Bean

Decent enough dilemma, I don't feel comfortable really answering one way or another until breaking my back against the raid as a 30. If I had to guess though, I'd say there are some chances (one or more) for loot drops in the Raid that you could get before the point at which the benefit of being 31/32 outpace the benefit of being in there early on.
It's a nice little Catch-22. To properly do the new raid you need to be 31. To get to 31 you need to do the new raid... (I know parts are doable at 30).

So I guess upgrading your armor is more imporatant than your weapons at this point right?

Yes, gear affects light level which affects your overall level. Also gear absorbs damage so you are going to want maxed gear to do high end stuff.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thank you to all those using spoiler tags for raid encounters/mechanics/surprises. I think it was agreed we could lift that on 12/16 (one week from today). It really means a lot to those of us heading in blind with our groups this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom