• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sucks coming from you especially...We have great times playing and were both super excited to get the DLC and then they hit us with this shit sandwich...Im aglutton though, ill still play. Also, picked up my third thorn bounty....Woot!

It's just becoming too much. Especially with 3 characters. I think I will shelve them until the next expansion and just focus in my main which is my Titan.

It's really ridiculous that people are at 31 already and I haven't been able to get one decent drop from the new raid yet.

lunlunqq

This is me staring directly at bytestyle (realcZk) :) because he's already 31.
Then the rest of us can start our #Forever30 rant.
:p

And I'm excited about the game. I just get passive aggressive when they change stuff - aka make me grind again.
(I logged on at 5:30 this morning for pete's sake)

Edit: I just saw lun popped on. Good stuff.
You're not excused, Real. We need to play again, bro! :)

I logged on at around 7:00AM, only to find that I was blocked out of the DLC contents even though I purchased the Digital Guardian edition. Took me over half an hour to fix it. Stupid PSN store design.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Lol, I broke down a 33 light chest piece I got from a vanguard package because I figured the raid one I got today is better. Didn't know I need those stupid radiant shards. Welp I'm a dummy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yea, I understand folks' frustrations, RNG has always been a hassle and the new mat complexities are confusing things in not-so-fun ways, but come on, guys. NEW STUFF! New things to work towards, new shaders to find, exotics to level, imbalances to exploit, and cheese to consume!

I feel like anyone who thought this $20 DLC would completely transform the game into what pre-launch hype made it out to be was just kidding themselves. It's more of the same and for those of us who have been enjoying the ride so far, there's plenty to be excited about here.
I'm with you. The current sting of the treadmill advancing and new currencies will fade away after a bit. Much to do with the raid will also change over time as the community masters it as well. So far, I've been enjoying the kickstart the DLC gave to my lowest-leveled character, the unavoidable challenge in content that hasn't been endlessly rerun and memorized, looking at the pallets of new gear for me to start pursuing (the dragon's breath and no land beyond are the only exotics I really know about, I tried to avoid reading about the others), 2 of the 3 pvp maps, and the extra XP afforded every day with Eris "me too!" bounties, and, honestly, playing around with all the unleveled exotics I have that can get a "bump" to the new base for 7 coins/7k glimmer rather than resetting the XP investment on one of my maxed ones. Ice Breaker's a given, but if the MIDA Multi-Tool or The Last Word gets offered on Friday I'm upgrading the shit out them. I'm looking forward to trying my old elemental arsenal in this Nightfall and especially to raiding with my crew tomorrow, wherein I fully expect us to get our asses handed solidly to us and masochistic glee to take hold (I live for getting a TINY BIT further than the previous wipe). Looks like Colonel will have to let us get beat before spilling the tips and tricks he picks up tonight XD

Longer term, the appeal of mastering and running newbies through a new raid is very exciting for me personally. It's been a blast in each one of those GAF runs and an unexpected opportunity for a personal challenge trying to see if I can beat "my" best complete time for the normal raid with a fresh group. I'm also looking forward to the Iron Banner next week- this time, not for the reward so much as just how much fun it was last time with all the really long-running, undefeated GAF groups or even better, intense competition and trading wins against a good team. I'll probably use IB gear to get my Warlock to ~31 and buy some upgraded Legendaries but the gear isn't the primary draw for me this time around.

Longest term, I think I will probably be getting my Hunter to 32 and that might be it... depends on how the Raid RNG gods go and what the fuck the Hard mode has in store for this thing.
I'm still excited. But I was happy with the game before and am perfectly content with just slumming it in the crucible all night every night if I don't have anything else to do.
There's also the question of "How much of your time do you WANT Destiny to take up?"
What do you mean exactly?
I get that there's a lot of bullshit. There's always going to be a lot of bullshit.

My thing is that you can kind of accept that there's always going to be a lot of bullshit, deal with it, and not really dwell on it for very long, instead focusing on the things that make the game good. While all games have some strong suits and some severe weaknesses (even games that are nearly perfect), in Destiny the core moment-to-moment gameplay is incredibly tight, polished, and reliably fun. To me that's the ballgame. Sometimes, I honestly get the impression from a bunch of you that you would accept the other way around.

That is to say, all of the corollary systems and progression mechanics and reward gating and RNG and PvP weapon balance and map design and narrative and Dinklage performances were perfect, but the core gameplay was subpar. But I'd drop such a game rapidly. I don't care to choose "playing a videogame" as my entertainment activity of choice for the night and then play one that isn't fun to play, and Destiny is really fucking fun to play.

It's not any more complicated than that to me, and it is to lots and lots of other people. that's completely valid. I can't convince anyone that the other stuff shouldn't matter to them just because it doesn't matter to me.

But I do see a lot of concentrated cognitive dissonance in posts that stipulate something like, "after this, i'm out"; "i'm going to do x, then I'm quitting"; "I don't see any reason to not just sit out until the next DLC if it resets everything"; "this is the last straw, I think I'm really done this time." Destiny isn't your boss. Threatening to quit is meaningless. Play if it is fun for you to play, quit if you don't. It's just I have to say that the track record would appear to be that people will just keep playing, keep saying these kinds of things, keep playing, keep saying these kinds of things, and keep playing. playing lots. Playing all the time. But I mean I don't intend this analysis to be insulting, hell, it's incredibly addictive and I find myself wanting to play it all the time too. I just try not to look at it so antagonistically and it seems to do the same back :p

ocean

Banned
Who wants to group for the Nightfall at 6pm Eastern?

1. Jrmint (Palom12 psn)

Level 30 only please after reading the impressions.
I ran it with an all 30s team. It's easier but definitely not necessary. I completed it later with a 30-29-28 team. Obviously took longer :p but it's doable, you just need to be careful :)

Don't leave the poor forever29s out!

Yes I know about Naxx, I edited, it was a long time ago! But the point is the same: There's better stuff you can get in the expansion on day one. If you're saying that all of it wasn't outclassed on day 1 that's a fair point. My point is that your stuff never carries over completely, it gets left behind after an expansion. Destiny is no different, it's just the lack of content and speed in which it becomes outclassed that makes it more apparent to people.

Yeah that's the problem so people should stop saying things like "most people complaining haven't played MMO's"

Mindlog

End of Crota Raid first chest spoilers.
Two doors. If it doesn't spawn at the first one, keep moving up the left wall and check at the next door. It can spawn at either.
Are there other doors? My Hunter went through both a couple of times and it didn't show up. The easiest thing is to just keep dying at the first door until it spawns. I got energy, shards and a Warlock bond.
MNZy9x3.jpg

Lol, I broke down a 33 light chest piece I got from a vanguard package because I figured the raid one I got today is better. Didn't know I need those stupid radiant shards. Welp I'm a dummy.

You got the new raid chest piece from Crota's End, right?

Means we know gloves, chest, boots are dropped in normal mode raid.

Fitts

i'm afraid this time it's going to fly under the radar. haven't heard any cries to nerf it again because people think Bungie wouldn't basically reverse the knee-jerk nerf they gave it in the first place. but they did.

I have a soft spot for the gun so i don't want to see it ruined. but they still don't know what to do with it.

They shouldn't bury it, but I seen nothing thing wrong with how it performed post-nerf in crucible. It was still an absolutely top-tier primary.

so, to hit 31 in the next 4 hours, i have to

-move my gear over to my alt
-grind vanguard bounties and patrol missions to level up vanguard
-pray to RNGesus that a vanguard commendation drops when i rank up
-buy a vanguard helmet
-max vanguard armor

basically fucked if the commendation isn't in the postmaster after i rank up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah that's the problem so people should stop saying things like "most people complaining haven't played MMO's"
I totally agree. I don't think that's a valid argument to explain away problems with this game. it does make things easier to understand and tolerate but obviously Destiny is aimed at a broader audience than typical MMOs so who cares if the people complaining haven't played them.

edit:

Hang on.

Are commendations NOT guaranteed when you roll over a faction? Answer with as much detail as possible if you know!

-buy a vanguard helmet
-max vanguard armor

Commendations depend on RNG? This fucking game is even worse than I thought

BUNGIIIIIIIIE

I have played this game since 4am, it is now almost 4pm. Almost 12 hours with no new gear except Murmur and a shitty legendary from Nightfall.

Bungie needs to learn that time spent should equal reward, not crappy items, frustration and in motivation to continue.

Anyone on XBONE want to run Crota's end fresh this evening at about 6:00pm central? (4 hours from now).

I really just want to do the first couple parts to see if I end up with any gear, then hold off on the other parts till I get to 31.

PM me.

Quoting myself here because this thread moves so fast.

jaaz

Lack of content and having gear outclassed quickly is a different argument--and a fair point which I agree with--than the argument made by those who unreasonably expected all of their VoG armor, weapons, etc. to carry them through this entire raid without having to lift a finger to find new items and weapons and level them up.

Level 28 Daily should have stayed with Ass materials as a reward.

The level 30 should give away radiant mats. besides the raid there seem to be no other way to get the shit ton of mats I need. I only got 5 rad shards and 2 energy from the first two parts of the raid.

I really want work to be done for the day. Need to get my raid on.

We still on for today? 6:30 right?

Who wants to group for the Nightfall and Weekly at 6pm Eastern?

1. Jrmint (Palom12 psn)

Level 29 - 30 only please after reading the impressions.

Fixed after reading Oceans post.

I can make 6pm if you still need someone. Level 30 (hell might be 31 by then) Hunter, PSN: Darryl_M_R

They shouldn't bury it, but I seen nothing thing wrong with how it performed post-nerf in crucible. It was still an absolutely top-tier primary.

it took 7-8 headshots to kill, but because of the recoil, it was inconsistent. body shots were worthless, which slowed down its kill time.

Speaking of voice acting - I wish the titan vanguard was the crucible announcer :(

edit: high-five, ComputerMKII

Sepiks Prime cast a great shadow over our city, with his destruction the Fallen will grow weaker. But we must stay vigilant. The Fallen are crafty. They'll find ways to survive. They always do.

rNilla

There are plenty of things to criticize as always but I'm having fun today. If I wasn't I definitely would not be playing a three month old game at this point in the year.

office-karen-shrug.gif

Are commendations NOT guaranteed when you roll over a faction? Answer with as much detail as possible if you know!
If you're asking about when a fraction such as Dead Orbit reaches a new rank, will a commendation be awarded. I can tell you I did not get a commendation, however I hit rank 2. So I dont know if that has an influences or not.

Jito

Banned
So is Dinklebot just going to turn up in Destiny 2 and be like "Oh hey Guardian, that was a long two year nap I had!" Although he does have a new line at the start of the Dying Mind strike.

realcZk

-buy a vanguard helmet
-max vanguard armor

Pretty sure commendations are guaranteed? I think the people who saved up packages didn't get them as expected but those who got them after DLC did.

Sepiks Prime cast a great shadow over our city, with his destruction the Fallen will grow weaker. But we must stay vigilant. The Fallen are crafty. They'll find ways to survive. They always do.

He really deserved a bigger role :'(

...especially when Dinklage dropped the ball and Lennie James is wholly inappropriate for crucible.

ocean

Banned
It's OP again.

i used it before the nerf, after the nerf, and now using it again it feels exactly like it did before they first patched it. The difference in damage is negligible.
Agreed. I've been testing the new maps and this thing is ridiculous once Crowd Control is unlocked. Also, despite having significsnt recoil nearly every kill I get with this is a "headshot".

zlatko

Banned
Well I took a break from this install issue to have lunch with my fiance.

Came back, reset router, reset PS4, etc and no progress. Perma stuck at 62% even if I uninstall Destiny entirely from my PS4.

NO ONE else seems to have this issue. I have no clue what else to do.

My only workaround would be to buy the digital version of the game, but I've already given Bungie $100.00....ugh. Why !?!?! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom