• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shito

Also, really don't like the changes around making Solo Strikes harder. I had an hour to kill this morning before dropping my Daughter at the child minders and going to work, so attempted solo'ing the Heroic for the 9 coins. Just keep getting raped by the wizards, even with a Maxed Ice Breaker and being level 29. It feels like I'm level 27 rather than 29 :(
Yes. Even doing it with a team of two people it sometimes feel like you're one or two levels below your enemies now...
They said it was un unintended effect, and that they would fix it. Now I hope it won't take them as long as the exotic patch... ^^

9th VoG run last night. 4th set of Kabr's Brazen Grips. This is Stockholm syndrome.

It is actually RNGesus foreshadowing that we will be able to play 4 characters instead of 3.

I woke up still bitter as hell over the Universal Remote drop from last nights nightfall. Only saving grace was the 11 ass energy that dropped for my 2nd nightfall.

GlamFM

Banned
Can not wait for the DLC, but I think that all of the new gear, every weapon, armor piece or exotic, ALL OF IT, looks ugly.

Have not seen one item in the trailers that I want :/

LiK

I'll probably do some Skirmish/PVP tonight if my bros are on or Normal raid with my alts of anyone needs one more. Gonna finally play my other games during Thanksgiving. Haha

That jumping puzzle in VoG fucks many people up haha. Flawless runs are hilarious.

We were working on a flawless nightfall yesterday and my buddy changes from Sunbro to Voidbro. He does the swap announces the change then jumps towards the edge of the hellsmouth near the location of the two Knights... blip... disappears... reappears... fuck. Blink was active. Poor bastard blinks right into the hellsmouth. I felt bad laughing about that for the rest of the night.

But RNGesus pays me back for laughing. Stupid ass Universal Remote.

So after 6 weeks of no boots/gloves i decided to buckle down and hit Rank 5 Iron Banner last week so my Titan can hit 30. Deep down i knew this all but guaranteed i would get them from the raid this week, but i didn't care.

Now its Tuesday and I jump into a group that's cheesing Oracles / Templars on hard. 40 minutes of work and cheesing on both my characters I now have my raid gloves, raid boots, Found Verdict, and Fatebringer.

RNG gonna RNG.

I'll probably do some Skirmish/PVP tonight if my bros are on or Normal raid with my alts of anyone needs one more. Gonna finally play my other games during Thanksgiving. Haha

Wait. There are other games?!

No, LiK is tired. What LiK meant to say is this:

"Gonna finally play other Destiny game modes during Thanksgiving"

Clearly its doing all the nightfalls, weeklies, and VOG after reset that has made poor LiK too tired to realize the TYPO.

amar212

That jumping puzzle in VoG fucks many people up haha. Flawless runs are hilarious.

What is HILARIOUS are some Atheon runs I've watched yesterday with my friends on PS Stream.

I am beyond explainable of those people are doing. They are simply lunatic in their tactics and I can't believe they are doing what they are doing.

They are getting CONSTANTLY wiped by either Harpies outside or their incapability to survive Atheon once they're out of the portals.

I have never imagined how someone can't understand the need to catch Harpies in cross-fire, or tactics that impose usage of shilled only for the Super attack, without protective usage.

Not even to mention the ultimate moment, where they are sacrificing one member of the team who constantly enters inside the portal after the Oracle phase have already started with 3 guys already in, when he "helps" killing last 2 Oracles from the portal "back side" and then exits being blinded and then simply falls constantly in the pits when returned to Atheon.

And the moment when they're "defending" the flux around the portal from Harpies from BELOW, shooting at them and then yelling because EVERY TIME someone dies from blast. Surprise!

We watched it for almost ah hour, they just couldn't pass it. We were laughing all the time, I even write them few messages, but they were too lazy to watch it.

I have no clue how people can be that clueless. Watch some YT videos for Atheonsake ;))

Yeah, I really need to make a video or gif or something to show the spiral jump pattern. I just can't deal with many more flawless wipes on jumps like that, its the absolute worst (and most common) way to wipe runs. After wiping on the jumps first and second run we either needed to run it one last time immediately or stop for the day. Taking a break for 30-40 minutes is just wasting that much more time.

Deku Tree

Yeah, I really need to make a video or gif or something to show the spiral jump pattern. I just can't deal with many more flawless wipes on jumps like that, its the absolute worst (and most common) way to wipe runs. After wiping on the jumps first and second run we either needed to run it one last time immediately or stop for the day. Taking a break for 30-40 minutes is just wasting that much more time.

I would really appreciate knowing about this spiral. I currently have no idea what people mean when they talk about the spiral jump.

I can't say how many people that have "accompanied" me on chest runs on Venus and the Moon that go off on their own, or rush to the next spot that they think will spawn a chest while I go pick up two more chests. If I have shown them five chests in a row, why don't they follow me? Why are they making me rush ahead so the chests there don't despawn? I'm just too lazy to message them.

I don't even have time to level my alts (23 Titan, 25 Hunter), let alone play other games. Maybe by Christmas.

I agree with you, a puzzle jumping or relic user video would do wonders for new or unfamiliar players doing the raid.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Goofing off in the Vault

ArzgZSt.jpg

PwN42lH.jpg

DAT Stockpiling continues, so many energy and shards now, GODDAMN!
ikE690w.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*yawn* good morning guys AHAHAHAHAHA four pages you psychos.
Lovely OP, Hawkian.

Suggestion: The link a the top should be this one. The other is just the general news feed.
Oh man, good catch. Thanks Ghal!
i wanna point out that the dota ot number in the op is wrong as it doesnt take the beta threads into account :p

that adds another 5 to the number
I get that the Destiny GAF community is active, but Halo's OT numbers are far larger than 21, and last Destiny thread there was literally a few pages where a few members posted instead of using a mic.
I don't think it's intentional, but you guys get that you're calling out the OPs of those community threads for picking the wrong OT number right...? Per the bold especially, I mean...

xdZOyno.png

2ZsSQCo.png

This was the only fair comparison I could possibly imagine. I assume every single WoW expansion gets its own thread on gaming side, yeah? Counting the original FFXIV as part of the "FFXIV: ARR" OT count wouldn't exactly ring true either. After all, if we took into account threads that are not OTs as OTs we'd also have to count the Destiny Alpha, Beta, Beta withdrawl, Raid/Grouping threads, "Destiny-news-of-the-week" threads, "Is Destiny the Most Disappointing Game of All Time?" threads, et cetera, and I'm reasonably certain it would still come out on top.

Nothing can compete but Halo, which wins in total size but not rate!
Just accuracy. Street Fighter isn't even on there, but I know there were at least 3 threads for the Arcade edition alone. SC2 had at least 4 for WoL, not sure how many for HotS. Madden has at least 1 new thread every year. Even Dark Souls had a massively expanding OT series. And yeah, HaloGAF is a cesspool. I only used it as an example because it's one of the few that I still stay up to date on.

:-/

A cursory search reveals that the Super Street Fighter IV OTs went up to 3 and then the first SSIV4 AE thread was dubbed OT4, and then got an OT5. Then there's one Ultra Street Fighter IV OT which would make a total of 6. Kadey seems to be heavily involved in that community so he or she can of course correct me if I'm missing something. Even if we were to add the numbers together rather than counting the total (which, uh, why), that's 3 + 5 + 1 = 9. Where am I going wrong?

There's also a general Pokémon Community Thread that is active, but it's only on 3, so I picked the X/Y OTs because that's actually gone a little further.

Dark Souls is literally on the chart I made that you're talking about. It was released 3 years ago and is on its 5th OT. Come on. How much thought did you put into this, was it just like a post made on autopilot?

I have no desire to try and make Destiny's GAF community out to be something it isn't. I'm just sitting here and relating what I see. Which, for all the game's flaws and missteps, is something pretty fucking unprecedented here.

For the interested, here are some other stats I unearthed while researching for this OT:
  • The timeframe from the Halo OT1 to OT11 was 9 months and 5 days. We knocked that out in 2 months, 17 days.
  • OT10 lasted for roughly 16 days and 6 hours and finished with 19921 posts for an average posts-per-hour of 51, or more than one post every 2 minutes.
  • Diablo III (oft-cited in these threads) reached 5 OTs for the base game, then OT5 was locked and there have been 2 more for the expansion (currently active on OT2). Then an OT for the console editions in general (active), and an OT for the last gen consoles only (defunct since August). If all of these could be combined to count as one community OT series, we'd have 9, which would make it the closest competition.
  • The first Destiny OT had 1967 unique posters, but 1450 had 5 or fewer total posts, or 73%. In our OT10, there were 384 with 5 or fewer posts, or 48%. Yay for fewer drive-bys!
  • No Destiny thread has lasted for more than 2 Xur visits.

Steroyd

I would really appreciate knowing about this spiral. I currently have no idea what people mean when they talk about the spiral jump.

The platforms appear in a spiral pattern, so you can anticipate when they appear, plus you won't die from a straight jump onto one.

Tried explaining this in a normal run before, but the guy kept double jumping so by time he landed on a platform it kept disappearing under his feet, so we just showed him the 1, 2 platform way.

EL CUCO

Anyone know if the "Complete a Raid with Clan mates" trophy needs to be started from the beginning? Will starting from the Oracles void us of it?

realcZk

Nope, relic iron is so easy. Just do buried city loop. Spinmetal is the worst.

agree with you there, i try to get an infinite spinmetal chest run near the entrance of the divide when I farm spinmetal, can usually get about 150 in a half hour. otherwise, farming the rocketyards is terrible compared to other mat loops. i've had to do an entire loop or two around before just to get spinmetal to start spawning there.

Anyone doing hard raid later on today? Going out to pick up a Thanksgiving pie and probably grab lunch before heading back home.

Shito

Whoa, got a legendary engram from helium filament farming and it turned into a Gjallarhorn. I am so shocked.
Damn!
Got a legendary glove out of a cryptarch package for my warlock alt yesterday, which is just what I needed to be able to either equip my sunbreakers or my voidfang vest, but even with this I am jealous of you.
So. Jealous.

Question GAF,

Ended up with a Hezen Vengeance last night, what are the thoughts on it? I unfortunately do not have a Ghorn so my heavy slot is "open for business". Worth the energies?

Deku Tree

The platforms appear in a spiral pattern, so you can anticipate when they appear, plus you won't die from a straight jump onto one.

Tried explaining this in a normal run before, but the guy kept double jumping so by time he landed on a platform it kept disappearing under his feet, so we just showed him the 1, 2 platform way.

If you jump on every platform do you still have to do the hard bump out jump at the end. I hate that one... if I die on the platforms section this is usually the spot where it happens.

Anyone know if the "Complete a Raid with Clan mates" trophy needs to be started from the beginning? Will starting from the Oracles void us of it?

All you have to do is beat Atheon to get the trophy. Do you want to do this tonight Cuco?

We can ask everyone to join this Clan (it takes seconds and doesn't require approval):

http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Forum/429327

Also what games is DGAF splitting their time between? I know we all are getting ready for the DLC but I don't see nearly all of my friends online on Destiny anymore.

(I'm on GTA, sometime CoD, and soon Dragon Age)

agree with you there, i try to get an infinite spinmetal chest run near the entrance of the divide when I farm spinmetal, can usually get about 150 in a half hour. otherwise, farming the rocketyards is terrible compared to other mat loops. i've had to do an entire loop or two around before just to get spinmetal to start spawning there.

Damn, I need to do this. My Titan has been 32 spinmetals away from 30 for a week. Just too lazy to "git er dun".

A stack of 10 physical games and a couple of digital ones have been waiting for weeks.
Yeah I am with you. Have not beaten any games I started in the summer or even start any games I bought after destiny. Once I hit finish lvling up my titan and warlock to 30, just on the last bubble, I will prob take it easy till the new dlc.

Damn, I need to do this. My Titan has been 32 spinmetals away from 30 for a week. Just too lazy to "git er dun".
yeah I hate farming, I somehow manage to gram ~100 relic iron while chatting with some random guy I meet during my farming run. It's not too hateful talking to someone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom