• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

ocean

Banned
Yes

And no. The buff will at 150% so it won't take anywhere near as long as 8 hours taking bounties into consideration
With 150% buff from Tempered and 10% each from emblem, shader and class item you get a total 200% boost right? (1.5*1.1*1.1*1.1=1.9965)

If the base rep per victory is 50 that means you'll get 150 rep per match if you start off with all the items.

From zero to rank 5 you need 8,500 rep. All 6 bounties give 300 rep (100 base + 200% buff) so you have 1,800 in bounties. That leaves 6,700 rep.

Dividing by 150 per match, that means you need 45 victories. Assuming 9 minutes per match, you'd need almost 7 hours of consecutive wins.

Since you will lose some matches, there's non-trivial loading between matches, and you may not manage to get all the bounties (some are tricky), 8 hours is not a bad estimate. Moreover, if you don't have any IB items you'll need to wait until rank 2 for the emblem, 3 for the shader and 4 for the class item, slowing down progress significantly.

Let me know if I missed anything!

Jinjo

With 150% buff from Tempered and 10% each from emblem, shader and class item you get a total 200% boost right? (1.5*1.1*1.1*1.1=1.9965)

If the base rep per victory is 50 that means you'll get 150 rep per match if you start off with all the items.

From zero to rank 5 you need 8,500 rep. All 6 bounties give 300 rep (100 base + 200% buff) so you have 1,800 in bounties. That leaves 6,700 rep.

Dividing by 150 per match, that means you need 45 victories. Assuming 9 minutes per match, you'd need almost 7 hours of consecutive wins.

Since you will lose some matches, there's non-trivial loading between matches, and you may not manage to get all the bounties (some are tricky), 8 hours is not a bad estimate. Moreover, if you don't have any IB items you'll need to wait until rank 2 for the emblem, 3 for the shader and 4 for the class item, slowing down progress significantly.

Good to know, seems I wasn't far off indeed. And after you've done all of that you still need to glimmer grind for the items.

Raybunny

Good to know, seems I wasn't far off indeed. And after you've done all of that you still need to glimmer grind for the items.

After a few hours in the iron banner you will surely cap it. Will it be enough for your needs? maybe, maybe not. Or I am totally wrong and been getting glimmer out of may ass since only been playing IB and been getting a lot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Yeah, it took me about 11 hours to get from 0 to 4 today during the Titan Bubble train. There's things like people dropping out and finding new people, going to the tower, loading, losing, etc etc that you sort of have to add to the time it takes.

I'm sure it will be a faster since the buff adds another 50% after reset, but unless you have been playing all week, be prepared for a long grind.

After a few hours in the iron banner you will surely cap it. Will it be enough for your needs? maybe, maybe not. Or I am totally wrong and been getting glimmer out of may ass since only been playing IB and been getting a lot.
In the 12 hours or so I played, I probably made 15k glimmer or so. I guess you earn more if you do better and earn more medals though.

Man, this game feels like work. I don't know how normal people play this game, but I think I understand why someone casual wouldn't complain about the lack of content/repeating content.

The average person isn't going to farm 40k glimmer in order to get enough radiant shards to get 3 characters to 32. Hell, the average player isn't even going to play the hard raid until probably the time that House of Wolves comes out, if ever.

I'm not sure if this is good design in that it on the normal end of the curve, people don't notice problems with glimmer cap and mark cap and all that stuff, or just the logical conclusion of grind heavy games where the most dedicated players feel the most worn out because of the never ending treadmill.
It is a job gao gao :3

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ya I can't disagree there feels very f2p at times
I just don't know how people are supposed to experience the content. Clearly GAF is atypical, but these economies seem rather pointless and add nothing to the actual experience of playing the game.

I wonder if employees at Bungie get to enter some kind of cheat code to get all the glimmer they want, so they don't understand what a waste of time it is to actually get all that glimmer in the first place.

all this required the casuals comment
I don't know what this means then. :p

I want to be eaten by a
lesbian bear
. Then I don't have to play anymore. :p

It's funny, we joke about Destiny being a job, but I think a teenager working at McDonalds probably has a more fulfilling experience putting together Big Macs all day than I had with the two hours sitting on my ass trying to get glimmer. lol

I just don't know how people are supposed to experience the content. Clearly GAF is atypical, but these economies seem rather pointless and add nothing to the actual experience of playing the game.

I wonder if employees at Bungie get to enter some kind of cheat code to get all the glimmer they want, so they don't understand what a waste of time it is to actually get all that glimmer in the first place.

I don't know what this means then. :p

I want to be eaten by a
lesbian bear
. Then I don't have to play anymore. :p

It's funny, we joke about Destiny being a job, but I think a teenager working at McDonalds probably has a more fulfilling experience putting together Big Macs all day than I had with the two hours sitting on my ass trying to get glimmer. lol

gao gao :3
Yeah I would have stop playing a long time ago if I had no one to play with. When the main core of people I play with move on, then I shall as well. Frankly I would be playing less already but wanted to do IB. Most of the time I dont even bother doing the bounties or dailies now. I know there was a few days last week when I didnt load up the game.

Seep

I had some strange shit happen on Crota's drops last night, I cleared lamps early in the week on my hunter then skipped the rest to do Crota himself last night but no drop.. Ok, killed him again, no drop again! A little confused we started a fresh raid, cleared lamps and I got a drop.. weird. Carried on and got a drop for the bridge but nothing from the second chest, death singer or Crota WTF?

Man, this game feels like work. I don't know how normal people play this game, but I think I understand why someone casual wouldn't complain about the lack of content/repeating content.

The average person isn't going to farm 40k glimmer in order to get enough radiant shards to get 3 characters to 32. Hell, the average player isn't even going to play the hard raid until probably the time that House of Wolves comes out, if ever.

I'm not sure if this is good design in that it on the normal end of the curve, people don't notice problems with glimmer cap and mark cap and all that stuff, or just the logical conclusion of grind heavy games where the most dedicated players feel the most worn out because of the never ending treadmill.

From now on I will refer to you guys as my co-workers

gao gao

Yeah I would have stop playing a long time ago if I had no one to play with. When the main core of people I play with move on, then I shall as well. Frankly I would be playing less already but wanted to do IB. Most of the time I dont even bother doing the bounties or dailies now. I know there was a few days last week when I didnt load up the game.

Take a break for a couple of days, even weeks if you can. Trust me, it will feel good. :p

bosseye

Hmmm. I watched a video of a guy using a Warlock to cheese the lamps bit of Crota solo, by jumping up onto the rocks behind the second lamp and from there double jumping up to the ledge behind by the last lamp. This was 'post patch' and he reckoned it was doable with Warlock and Titan, so I had a go with my Warlock and failed miserably. I'm not even convinced its possible, but it must be if he managed it - I did precisely what he did on the video but every time I almost reached the top of the wall weight of darkness would hit and I'd be dumped straight back down again. I put all agility perks to max in Voidwalker (my only class) but every time failure. Very frustrating. Oh well.

Shito

Hmmm. I watched a video of a guy using a Warlock to cheese the lamps bit of Crota solo, by jumping up onto the rocks behind the second lamp and from there double jumping up to the ledge behind by the last lamp. This was 'post patch' and he reckoned it was doable with Warlock and Titan, so I had a go with my Warlock and failed miserably. I'm not even convinced its possible, but it must be if he managed it - I did precisely what he did on the video but every time I almost reached the top of the wall weight of darkness would hit and I'd be dumped straight back down again. I put all agility perks to max in Voidwalker (my only class) but every time failure. Very frustrating. Oh well.
Which jump are you using?
You have to use the one with "speed and control", not the one that propels you faster. You want the one that pushes you the farthest.
There's also probably a small trick I haven't found yet, because sometimes I miss like you do, and sometimes I get it on my first try.
Anyways, I can confirm this is totally doable on both Warlock on Titan.

Jinjo

I'll be starting the glimmer grind about 8 hours from now for anyone who is on tonight. Have about zero glimmer now and I want two more RL's and a Lash so I'll be doing two full 25.000 runs @ gatekeepers. I have the checkpoint for anyone that wants to join tonight.

After this week I might take a Destiny break for a few days....

edit:
dont forget to add me on xbox one you racist Canadian!

Yeah I haven't really done bounties in a while. I used to do them even if I didn't have anything to level. I'd do them just to get the rep. Now I don't even bother cause I feel like these expansions are coming out way too soon and it's making my progress seem kind of pointless.

Dunno why you had to start your comments with a jab at the casuals. I agree with your points otherwise, it wasn't needed to start your post

I don't think it was a jab at casuals. He was saying since casuals play less they won't experience the grind that we do. I don't know where you got that from

feels like they added something to it to make it harder. anyways,

jump from that rock, angled left to towards the door, this gives you more time in the lamp area to get higher, thne turn right a bit towards the ledge.

near the top, for me, I use "aim to float" and I barely make it that way.

titan is super easier. same thing but shoulder charge at the end.

pre-patch I could jump straight at the ledge and make it without float/tackle

bosseye

Also, anyone got any tips for the Deathsinger? That seems to be very tricky bit. We can kill the wizards and the Shriekers to get the forcefield down and then whale on the Deathsinger, so I'm guessing its just having enough heavy ammo to get her health down before you get overwhelmed by the millions of Knights milling around. Its tricky in the time limit though.

I got Deathsingers Mantle from the bridge and I already had Deathsingers Grip from the lamps a while ago so just dem raid welllies to go I guess.

Also need to spend some time levelling up Obsidian Mind and Bad Juju, I hear they're a good combo. I ummed and ahhhed over buying Icebreaker, but got Obsidian mind in the end. I already have the old 300 version of Icebreaker so I pinned my luck on Xur having the upgrade at some stage. We! Shall! See!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dunno why you had to start your comments with a jab at the casuals. I agree with your points otherwise, it wasn't needed to start your post
I consider someone like Giantbomb's Brad Shoemaker a "casual" player of Destiny. Just load up the game once a week and take a month to do Crota once. As opposed to doing Crota x3 every week. I bet someone like Brad is having a lot more fun with Destiny than I am, even if he is "behind" in terms of getting to 32 and having maxed out 331 weapons and all that crap.
And probably it's why he thought it was a better game than Wolfenstein or Divinity or whatever else got bumped from the GB top 10 games of 2014.
From now on I will refer to you guys as my co-workers

gao gao
We have the worst boss in the history of the world. :(

edit:
dont forget to add me on xbox one you racist Canadian!
I joked about staying 31 and just letting everyone else (with Gjallarhorns) carry me by being 32. But guilt kicked in and here we are. lol

I will say, I do have fun when I'm actually playing the game. Doing Iron Banner with 6 Defender Titans and throwing up bubbles over and over again was the most fun I've ever had with the game. But you go from that high to the low of glimmer farming for 2 hours and suddenly you realize the game wants you to play it even when it's not even fun.

bosseye

Which jump are you using?
You have to use the one with "speed and control", not the one that propels you faster. You want the one that pushes you the farthest.
There's also probably a small trick I haven't found yet, because sometimes I miss like you do, and sometimes I get it on my first try.
Anyways, I can confirm this is totally doable on both Warlock on Titan.

Ahhhhhh! Maybe I'm using the wrong jump then, I'm using the one that propels you faster. I'll try the other one, thanks for that :)

I just wanted to be able to cheese the lamps bit on my own so I can keep doing it and hope for raid welly boots.

Ahhhhhh! Maybe I'm using the wrong jump then, I'm using the one that propels you faster. I'll try the other one, thanks for that :)

I just wanted to be able to cheese the lamps bit on my own so I can keep doing it and hope for raid welly boots.

Yeah that jump won't give you much height

Ridwald

I think we saw the same video, i tried it this weekend with my hunter (gunslinger with +agility on weapons) and warlock (sunsinger with agility on weapons) and couldn't make it. I think the "key" to do it is the timing, you have to jump exactly when the weight of darkness disappears. But this is just theory, i wasn't able to do it myself. In the videa i checked, the guy was using the MIDA, maybe i should try that for "extra" bonuses.

Yeah I haven't really done bounties in a while. I used to do them even if I didn't have anything to level. I'd do them just to get the rep. Now I don't even bother cause I feel like these expansions are coming out way too soon and it's making my progress seem kind of pointless.
It is "pointless" in the end. You will most likely have to re-grind once the DLC comes out. Since I already have the dlc, I will still play but much less, just because I like the community and I have it. It's the "journey" aka playing with my co workers/ fellow gaffers. Personally I feel like I made some great gaming buddies from this grind fest of a game.

I think we saw the same video, i tried it this weekend with my hunter (gunslinger with +agility on weapons) and warlock (sunsinger with agility on weapons) and couldn't make it. I think the "key" to do it is the timing, you have to jump exactly when the weight of darkness disappears. But this is just theory, i wasn't able to do it myself. In the videa i checked, the guy was using the MIDA, maybe i should try that for "extra" bonuses.

Yeah the MIDA makes you very quick. If you haven't tried it with it then that might be the reason you couldn't make it. When I have the MIDA equipped with the weight of darkness x10 the thhrawls can't even catch me

ocean

Banned
Also, anyone got any tips for the Deathsinger? That seems to be very tricky bit. We can kill the wizards and the Shriekers to get the forcefield down and then whale on the Deathsinger, so I'm guessing its just having enough heavy ammo to get her health down before you get overwhelmed by the millions of Knights milling around. Its tricky in the time limit though.

I got Deathsingers Mantle from the bridge and I already had Deathsingers Grip from the lamps a while ago so just dem raid welllies to go I guess.

Also need to spend some time levelling up Obsidian Mind and Bad Juju, I hear they're a good combo. I ummed and ahhhed over buying Icebreaker, but got Obsidian mind in the end. I already have the old 300 version of Icebreaker so I pinned my luck on Xur having the upgrade at some stage. We! Shall! See!
Blind her. Titan's Flashbang Grenades or a Saint-14 bubble really make that room more manageable. Also, get off the ground. By jumping onto the doorframes in that room you're safe from the melee Knights. That plus some supers and heavy ammo should take care of it.

Raybunny

My solo strategy that works even better in a group. if you have a titan tell him to put a bubble on the top of the deathsinger room first. That titan will end up with 80% of the mobs on him. ( you have 2 high places to go). Ppl can go to the other high place and destroy deathsinger. Well positioned, the titan will also have the possibility to help since on the corner he should not have any bubble protection and can rocket it. If your team members are in a pinch they can just jump inside the bubble to recover.

I consider someone like Giantbomb's Brad Shoemaker a "casual" player of Destiny. Just load up the game once a week and take a month to do Crota once. As opposed to doing Crota x3 every week. I bet someone like Brad is having a lot more fun with Destiny than I am, even if he is "behind" in terms of getting to 32 and having maxed out 331 weapons and all that crap.
And probably it's why he thought it was a better game than Wolfenstein or Divinity or whatever else got bumped from the GB top 10 games of 2014.

We have the worst boss in the history of the world. :(

I joked about staying 31 and just letting everyone else (with Gjallarhorns) carry me by being 32. But guilt kicked in and here we are. lol

I will say, I do have fun when I'm actually playing the game. Doing Iron Banner with 6 Defender Titans and throwing up bubbles over and over again was the most fun I've ever had with the game. But you go from that high to the low of glimmer farming for 2 hours and suddenly you realize the game wants you to play it even when it's not even fun.
Yeah that was def awesome and some of the most fun I had in awhile. Didnt care about winning or losing at that point. I def agree with you, the high moments of the game are great which are the raids and etc. But the grind is terrible. To quote an ass burger that has been ban.
"I think 97% of this new DLC is pure garbage. I will set aside my grievances in terms of them destroying their entire economy after getting everyone to use as much of their resources as possible upgrading the now redundant items. But I find it really hard to overlook just how little was added to the game. Bungie bills the DLC as expansion packs and I personally cannot believe the sheer audacity and disrespect required to legitimately sell that marketing line. This is DLC in its rawest virtually valueless horse-armour form. There is no expanded content, everything is a copy paste job. I wish I was lying but if you've played the game you know I'm not. Both strikes are bottom of the barrel and the one that's cross platform is by far the worst strike in the game. (dust palace not withstanding). It's a run through 2 story missions copy pastad together with a palette swapped enemy (fallen instead of hive), culminating in a terrible standoff in front of the door to a janitors broom closet. There is one door that opens up a new area that is 3 rooms big, an area that was on disc because it had been thoroughly explored prior if I'm not mistaken - for the rest of this new legendary strike you run through the same old cosmodrome you've run through 2003030020209 times. The other is the black garden copypastad mirrored with the nexus boss at the end. Xbox owners can't even play this, even though it's slightly more enjoyable than the broom closet strike. I'd say they're missing out but they're not really.

The three new missions are in areas you've previously been to as well just slightly extended. They offer up no actual storyline that's logical or sensible or fits into anything really and the whole thing honestly barely qualifies as being coherent. No plot points are resolved, no progress is made it's literally just treadmilling in place. In essence they added spawn points for enemies and called it a day. I'd be dissapointed if these missions were free and tied to some event, but I'm even more dissapointed that they aren't and that they cost $17.50.

Eris is another faceless vendor that jabbers at me while I press buttons to discern what kind of grind I'm in for next. The questline leading up to the strikes is beyond terrible as well, doing the 3 missions is fine but I really did not feel the need to go grind 25 more lvl 8 knights in cosmodrome, it's fucking insulting that they consider that an activity worth engaging in. The bounties are literally the same shit but worse because you're doing it again, you're going to the same exact area, killing the same exact mobs for the same exact reason you did previously. Only now all of your previously found loot has been obsoleted in one fell swoop, not just some items but literally all of them. Every single item, all of the guns from the old raid are terrible and outclassed by random legendary drops now. They basically spread crota's arse end open over all of your old stuff and turned it into shit. It's like the midas touch but with shit instead of gold really.

So there you are running the same bounties to level up some new shit you just bought found because it's immediately better than anything you own regardless of the effort it took to attain said gear and in the back of your head you realize that you've done all of this before. It's a terrible feeling really, I never question what I'm doing with my life more than I do when I'm playing Destiny.

I'd quit honestly, I think about it everytime I play this game but I don't. I know why I don't though, and I think it's not because this game is great or addictive, well designed, or impeccably balanced because it's not. It's because for the briefest of moments, one to three raids every week, this game becomes one of the best co-op shooters currently available. Unfortunately I hate everything I have to do (barring pvp) after the raiding stops. I have to do this if I want to keep up with my buddies, who are doing it to keep up with me, and it's fucking terrible. I love raiding, but I know if I don't crank up my lightlevel by doing the most inane bullshit treadmill in the world I'll be getting left behind for someone who did run the treadmill and has progressed past me. Currently I'm hanging in there, but I don't know how much longer I can keep hanging in through a week of almost joblike grinding to play half a day of fun stuff. "

Manp

Blind her. Titan's Flashbang Grenades or a Saint-14 bubble really make that room more manageable. Also, get off the ground. By jumping onto the doorframes in that room you're safe from the melee Knights. That plus some supers and heavy ammo should take care of it.

this is good advice. i also noticed that if everyone in the team gets in the room and start jumping left and right it's easier to survive the knights because they seem to be less focused on killing one particular player at a time.

:)

Yeah that was def awesome and some of the most fun I had in awhile. Didnt care about winning or losing at that point. I def agree with you, the high moments of the game are great which are the raids and etc. But the grind is terrible. To quote an ass burger that has been ban.

He's so right though. This entire weekend with IB and glimmer farming was all so we can all be at a point where we can play the hard raid on Wednesday. If it was just me I could care less, but my destiny buddies are doing it Wednesday so we all have to grind our asses off to prepare. I'm sure they feel the same way

Ridwald

Yeah the MIDA makes you very quick. If you haven't tried it with it then that might be the reason you couldn't make it. When I have the MIDA equipped with the weight of darkness x10 the thhrawls can't even catch me

I may give it a try tonight ^^ but the MIDA improves the speed, not the jumping height ... and i think my main problem is in the timing of the jump. From my last trials i could see the ledge but never got above it.

ocean

Banned
this is good advice. i also noticed that if everyone in the team gets in the room and start jumping left and right it's easier to survive the knights because they seem to be less focused on killing one particular player at a time.

:)
Yeah, jumping throws them off. Ideally you have a Striker with Armamentarium and a Defender with Saint-14 so you can keep that room relatively calm. Everything blind makes that section a lot easier.

I see groups lose hope when they get the 30 second timer. This is the moment she stops moving! 30 seconds of heavy ammo and supers and grenades is ample time to kill her. This segment used to be extremely hard for the groups I ran with but since I've started blinding stuff I've never had a wipe there :)

Bradach

I'm just reading through Hawkians excellent guides (thanks) and I have a couple of questions.

What is raid gear? is it gear that you can only get randomly during a raid? or is it gear that you can only equip for raids?

Also, when it comes to alts is the idea that they all do the heroic weekly and pool the strange coins into the vault for one character to use them all to buy something from Xur each week? In other words are the strange coins character bound in any way?

Shito

I'm just reading through Hawkians excellent guides (thanks) and I have a couple of questions.

What is raid gear? is it gear that you can only get randomly during a raid? or is it gear that you can only equip for raids?

Also, when it comes to alts is the idea that they all do the heroic weekly and pool the strange coins into the vault for one character to use them all to buy something from Xur each week? In other words are the strange coins character bound in any way?
Raid gear is gear that only drops in a raid.
The strange coins are not character bound, so yeah, use alts to get more of them each week. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware

So much ether, as someone would say! But this is the crux of the game and its longevity with me and probably quite a few players:
I'd quit honestly, I think about it everytime I play this game but I don't. I know why I don't though, and I think it's not because this game is great or addictive, well designed, or impeccably balanced because it's not. It's because for the briefest of moments, one to three raids every week, this game becomes one of the best co-op shooters currently available. Unfortunately I hate everything I have to do (barring pvp) after the raiding stops. I have to do this if I want to keep up with my buddies, who are doing it to keep up with me, and it's fucking terrible. I love raiding, but I know if I don't crank up my lightlevel by doing the most inane bullshit treadmill in the world I'll be getting left behind for someone who did run the treadmill and has progressed past me. Currently I'm hanging in there, but I don't know how much longer I can keep hanging in through a week of almost joblike grinding to play half a day of fun stuff. "

It's like the prisoner's dilemma. If we all just agreed to stop, we'd be free. Instead, we continue to keep each other trapped in this eternal prison we call Destiny. lol

He's so right though. This entire weekend with IB and glimmer farming was all so we can all be at a point where we can play the hard raid on Wednesday. If it was just me I could care less, but my destiny buddies are doing it Wednesday so we all have to grind our asses off to prepare. I'm sure they feel the same way
I'm sure you and milkham and Johan will be world's first when House of Wolves launches. ;)

ocean

Banned

Raid gear is armor dropped exclusively in Raids. At launch, the only way to reach level 30 was to equip a full Vault of Glass armor set or to use 3 VoG sets and an Exotic.

The same is now true, post expansion, to hit 32: you need a full Crota's End armor set or 3+ an Exotic.

As for Strange Coins, that's exactly it. You can run the weekly Heroic Strike for 3-9 coins ;depending on the difficulty level you select) on each character. If you have 3 high leveled characters you can get a guaranteed 27 per week.

Manp

Yeah, jumping throws them off. Ideally you have a Striker with Armamentarium and a Defender with Saint-14 so you can keep that room relatively calm. Everything blind makes that section a lot easier.

I see groups lose hope when they get the 30 second timer. This is the moment she stops moving! 30 seconds of heavy ammo and supers and grenades is ample time to kill her. This segment used to be extremely hard for the groups I ran with but since I've started blinding stuff I've never had a wipe there :)

...and rocket launchers with tracking. oh, and that thing about the 30 seconds timer is so true. you do more damage in the last 10/15 seconds than the rest.

i ran it yesterday with my usual group and we did all the first 3 parts on first try.

lol don't think i've won a single match with my 32 titan, I think I"m at 7 losses in a row so far. my 27 titan never got more than 2 coins until rank 4

Bradach

Raid gear is gear that only drops in a raid.
The strange coins are not character bound, so yeah, use alts to get more of them each week. :)

Raid gear is armor dropped exclusively in Raids. At launch, the only way to reach level 30 was to equip a full Vault of Glass armor set or to use 3 VoG sets and an Exotic.

The same is now true, post expansion, to hit 32: you need a full Crota's End armor set or 3+ an Exotic.

As for Strange Coins, that's exactly it. You can run the weekly Heroic Strike for 3-9 coins ;depending on the difficulty level you select) on each character. If you have 3 high leveled characters you can get a guaranteed 27 per week.
Thanks lads, that makes the alts very useful. I better get cracking on that Hunter I've been thinking about creating.

Top Bottom