• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

E92 M3

Thanks for the raid guys, sorry I couldn't join you for the 2nd and 3rd runs... I'm not hardcore enough to have three characters ;)

So the Raid was... good to me this week. Got No Land Beyond from Deathsinger, and then from Crota himself I got Plan C and Hunger of Crota!

B7ufPxoCAAAfkdp.jpg:large

I was like WOW this is the best raid loot drop week ever! I got the Vex and Hard Light from Atheon a few days earlier. So I was kind of eager to try out my new goodies, so I head to the Crucible. Second match in I get a legendary engram. Almost 1:30am so I figure I might as well find out what it is and head to bed. And then.......

B7ug2wuCQAARRrK.jpg:large

da fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuq :OOOOOOO

I am happy for you; must've been ecstatic!

SC is very unsafe unless you're running around corners constantly. I think you're majorly downplaying the threat of shotguns (or even a good fusion rifle. Hell ive killed SC Titans with TLW) Especially if the enemy is paying attention to radar.

I'll give you that throwing knife takes more skill, but you can also OHK by precision hitting them (unlikely I concede). The reason that it's not a OHK, is it's instant unlike a SC which you need to (kinda) charge up. Plus the range on that far outclasses any other melee attack. If you add in the burning effect it's pretty effective.

Then in the hands of people like Zoba it goes from effective to wayyyy OP.

It doesn't OHK even with precision damage. It will take them down to very low health, but not kill. Seen it happen multiple times.

I've been mowing down other titans with my shotty (usually use either SwordBreaker or Found verdict). I am not sure on my percentage of success to be fair. Perhaps 80%+? Granted, any time I see a titan charging at me I assume either the Fist of Havoc or a Shoulder Charge is coming. So I'm backing up and frantically spamming my shotgun

I am talking about Titans from the side and rear, not necessarily the front - that's not too bad.

Zakalwe

Banned
Imo (of course) you are really underselling how powerful the map control advantage is for this game mode on those particular maps. It's absolutely overwhelming against a reasonable team on BW, FD and SoT. A good team that knows the strats means they are good enough to easily beat you when holding the map control advantages on the imbalanced maps. The maps and scoring system are skewed so strongly in their favor.

Like I posted originally, some flexibility is great on more balanced maps: if spawns flip on TGap, just flip A for C or vice versa no problem... but you still have to hold B. Our problem on Firebase was that we never coordinated to push A at any point, including the beginning of the round. The best strats per map are always the best strats.

Right, so what happens if you're up against a team who have the best positions entrenched and you've tried co-ordinated efforts to retake it to no avail? The gap is just widening. You keep throwing yourselves at the point and hope they make a mistake?

Or what if, for whatever reason, you can't quite get the co-ordination to retake the advantageous point even through your team has an advantage (more fire team mic users, for example)?

Sometimes it's best to ignore the points for the moment and re-group, let the team see you're not pushing for a specific point and concentrate elsewhere. Move the flow of the map and wait for an opening.

Coordinating a push is not always the best tactic, brute forcing is not the only way to regain control, if you put too importance of retaking the advantageous point above all else ASAP then then you can start feeding he enemy kills.

And sometimes you can use the fact /know/ the other team will be rushing a specific point to your advantage.

Ryck

I need help today GAF. I am on a quest to get the Fatebringer before the reset. I need a hard mode Templar checkpoint and five brave souls to try and beat him three times. I'll be on in about an hour. Anyone willing?

PS4
1. Ryck007

ocean

Banned
With regards to the Fatebringer vs. Saterienne Rapier discussion earlier:

The Rapier has significantly better range, reload speed, rate of fire and stability. Fatebringer is still king on Arc shielded enemies or trash mobs you can kill in one shot.

Against anything that requires multiple shots, or enemies you'll attack from a distance, the SR wins hands down. I don't have one myself yet, and my maxed Fatebringers will never be truly replaced, but I look forward to buying the Saterienne and feel it'll be a great primary for Heroic CE.

Dave_6

I used an almost fully-leveled Timur's in Crota and VOG last night (Outlaw, Field Scout, Luck in the Chamber). It OHKs all regular enemies - critical hits for 1800 regular and 2400 with Luck. Also have flared magwell but I preferred the larger mag size most of the time.

Ok, I need to get one now. Fuck.

I've got 69 motes as well to reroll with.

lt519

The Rapier has significantly better range, reload speed, rate of fire and stability. Fatebringer is still king on Arc shielded enemies or trash mobs you can kill in one shot.

Against anything that requires multiple shots, or enemies you'll attack from a distance, the SR wins hands down. I don't have one myself yet, and my maxed Fatebringers will never be truly replaced, but I look forward to buying the Saterienne and feel it'll be a great primary for Heroic CE.

I've gotten a lot of them luckily but I think I like the badger better. My best one had firefly and last round but I have another with radar and send it. Not sure which I should upgrade. My badger had send it and range finder.

realcZk

It also has flared magwell. So even at 7 bullets, with fast reload and a chance for a larger magazine... That might be solid.

First world problems over here.

Clown Cartridge "Effect: Every reload has a 25% chance of a 20% increase in Magazine size."

so, it always gives the same magazine upgrade, 25% chance. With field scout, if it procs, you'd end up with a 15 round mag, 16 if bungie rounds the results (20% of 13 = 2.6 , rounded up to 3).

hmmmm...

This extremely close IB match happened last night with ransoms while I used my stock Vita in bed.

20180-19885

That was fairly exhilarating. Rusted Lands, surprise surprise. My 2nd closest match ever.

Haybro

The hooks this game has in me...

I'm up until 2am playing and the first thing I want to do when I wake up is jump right back in. This great community here probably has a lot to do with that though.

Time to roll up the sleeves and grind out some ib.

Double (or 1.9965.)

Sorry - so what is that per win? Also, any point to the IB rank 3 emblem vs the one you buy at rank 1?

Also, what perks should I look for in the RL? Tracking, for sure, but anything else that's recommended?

Double would mean 100 rep per win, but I thought people were saying they got more than that earlier today (like 133?). Not sure myself since I didn't use the buff yet today.

As for the RL, arc is nice if you have Truth+GH or HoC. Some type of Field Scout or Tripod (not sure which ones can roll for it) would be good too. Personally I don't think I'll bother with it at all, save my motes/glimmer for the sniper, Lash and helmet engram whenever that comes back.

ocean

Banned
I've gotten a lot of them luckily but I think I like the badger better. My best one had firefly and last round but I have another with radar and send it. Not sure which I should upgrade. My badger had send it and range finder.
Maining Fatebringer for months now, it feels awkward to use other primaries in PvE. Firefly and Outlaw work so damn well together. Since the SR is the only vendor weapon with this perk combo, that's what I'm shooting for. If I got a dropped Badger with those perks I'd be even happier though.

spyder_ur

Double would mean 100 rep per win, but I thought people were saying they got more than that earlier today (like 133?). Not sure myself since I didn't use the buff yet today.

As for the RL, arc is nice if you have Truth+GH or HoC. Some type of Field Scout or Tripod (not sure which ones can roll for it) would be good too. Personally I don't think I'll bother with it at all, save my motes/glimmer for the sniper, Lash and helmet engram whenever that comes back.

Thanks. Yeah I would prefer an arc launcher. More picky about the HC when I get it though.

I need that Sniper to drop though; do drop rates increase the high level you are?

I'll be on in maybe 45 mins for some more IB if there are any groups forming up.

WUT no 1920x1080?!?! will still add it to my collection of 1749 wallpapers.

Woops I confused my self a little once I think about it. Spray and pray results faster reload when the chamber is empty and who's next pretty much do the same thing. I dont think they sack :/

Yeah. I'm thinking the first one. It also has flared magwell and armor piercing rounds. Maybe if the clown cartridge procs enough, I could use flared magwell and have clown cartridge for larger magazine size.

Ryck

Maining Fatebringer for months now, it feels awkward to use other primaries in PvE. Firefly and Outlaw work so damn well together. Since the SR is the only vendor weapon with this perk combo, that's what I'm shooting for. If I got a dropped Badger with those perks I'd be even happier though.
I was really lucky to get a crypt dweller with outlaw and firefly on a drop and I am starting to really enjoy using it. It struggles against really powerful guys (like the swordbarer) compared to a HC but on everything else it's fantastic.

Jinjo

Jackpot. First reroll on Lash: Outlaw, Field Scout, Crowd Control
First reroll on RL: Arc, proximity detonation, flared magwell, clown cartridge. Awesome

Awesome. Me and just one other (subrock, he was a 30 I think) made it to Sepiks on our 3rd or 4th attempt then wiped when he had about a 3rd of his health left. It was quite frustrating but we just couldn't find anyone else to join no matter how much we posted here.
ew, that sucks. I've got some pretty good arc weapons, we'll make Sepkis our bitch.

Qwell

I have a problem ...

6CmVeHi.png

I spent a few hours last night farming the Ogre in Shrine of Oryx and the Hydra in the Black Garden just so I could get some more grimiore scores... trying to max it out... still working on shotgun kills... taking so long... feel energy drain...

I am...

losing life... to De....st....iny

EL CUCO

Just burned my 80 motes because I'm an idiot and didnt notice I was rerolling the Lash instead of the RL.

I couldn't get FS to roll with luck for the life of me. Settled for SnP and luck... 7 bullets it is :(

Dave_6

ew, that sucks. I've got some pretty good arc weapons, we'll make Sepkis our bitch.

Yeah he didn't have but one Arc weapon and it was a HMG. I have maxed FB along with P&T and Song of Ir Yut. Being a 29 makes me very weak though so I have to play it safe and with only two of us it already makes it more difficult.

Ophelion

My quest towards earning my worth amongst you fine fellows is going fairly well! I got my Vanguard rep up to rank 2, picked up my first armor piece from the Warlock vendor, got to level 26 and I've 3/4 of the way through building up my sub-class. My guns still suck, but not as hard.

Oh, and I rolled a Hunter. So I guess I'm a Hunter now too. Been sticking to Bladedancer. Feels like a nice fusion of the things I liked about the Hunter and the things I liked about the Warlock. Bladedancer super is so satisfying to use against bullet spongey enemies. Sometimes I'm the middle of a battle with some powerful enemies and I just go, "Screw this" throw down my guns and go stab that guy.

I need to tell the story of my completing the first expansion story mission though. Like I said, my guns kind of suck still and I'm sure the boss fight at the end of that first mission was not meant to be a Dark Souls-like underdog story of a battle, but that's just what it was for my poor Warlock. It was like I was fighting a bear with a sharpened stick. Every time I died, I learned a little bit more. I learned to avoid his fucking shockwave attack, I learned how to lose him in the dark so I could hit him from behind and fade away again. Then the adds came and I'd die again. New adaptation, learning where the adds appear. Then, I chipped that monster down to 1/3 of his life and lured him in close where I point blanked him with all three projectiles from a shattered Nova Bomb. I thought I had him for sure.

But he didn't die. He was hanging on by a thread and so was I, both of us just barely clinging to life. He pulled his Light-consuming sword back to deliver the killing blow and I brought my auto rifle into line with his head. The sword started to come down. But bullets are faster and with trembling relief, I saw his head cave in as my rounds penetrated his skull.

Then, I just stood there shaking in the dark, covered in blood and Hive ichor.

I think the lady who gave me the quest said I did a good job. Or was it Ghost? I don't remember. I didn't hear it. I was just glad it was time to go back to the Tower.

Damn, last night the RNG was REAL good to me. Right before raiding with some friends I picked up Husk of the Pit randomly while finishing bounties on the Moon. After Crota I got both Hard Light and Deathsinger's Gaze and then after the Vault I got Suros Regime. My warlock got stacked with goodies last night hahaha

Steroyd

Yep. Imbalanced maps have a "poison point," more balanced maps have a "required point" (B) where it's debatable what the two best points are. Of course a good team can win without the proper points but only in spite of the map control disadvantage, which is a huge hill to climb against a decent team (lots of decent teams in IB).

For each map in IB:

Blind Watch: A = Poison

Firebase: C = Poison

Shores of Time: A = Poison
-----------------------------------------
Rusted Lands: B = Required. C is better than A imo but can go either way

Twilight Gap: B = Required. I don't have much preference on A vs C, don't be afraid to swap them if the spawns flip as long as B is held.

Easier said than done, even if you have the advantageous control points you can still fall victim to the spawn points which feel like RNG at times.

The SR actually requires multiple shots in places where FB can OHK with critical explode which has been a big downer for me. For eg when farming glimmer at Exclusion Zone at lvl 18, the first trash mob requires 2 headshots with Rapier but FB can make them explode with one. I have used both maxed weapons (and maxed Badger) in Crota, and I'd rather use Badger if I had to use a scout.

Also it might be a personal thing, but I can consistently hit critical with FB, but just can't do it with Rapier. Probably has something to do with sights.

My quest towards earning my worth amongst you fine fellows is going fairly well! I got my Vanguard rep up to rank 2, picked up my first armor piece from the Warlock vendor, got to level 26 and I've 3/4 of the way through building up my sub-class. My guns still suck, but not as hard.

Oh, and I rolled a Hunter. So I guess I'm a Hunter now too. Been sticking to Bladedancer. Feels like a nice fusion of the things I liked about the Hunter and the things I liked about the Warlock. Bladedancer super is so satisfying to use against bullet spongey enemies. Sometimes I'm the middle of a battle with some powerful enemies and I just go, "Screw this" throw down my guns and go stab that guy.

I need to tell the story of my completing the first expansion story mission though. Like I said, my guns kind of suck still and I'm sure the boss fight at the end of that first mission was not meant to be a Dark Souls-like underdog story of a battle, but that's just what it was for my poor Warlock. It was like I was fighting a bear with a sharpened stick. Every time I died, I learned a little bit more. I learned to avoid his fucking shockwave attack, I learned how to lose him in the dark so I could hit him from behind and fade away again. Then the adds came and I'd die again. New adaptation, learning where the adds appear. Then, I chipped that monster down to 1/3 of his life and lured him in close where I point blanked him with all three projectiles from a shattered Nova Bomb. I thought I had him for sure.

But he didn't die. He was hanging on by a thread and so was I, both of us just barely clinging to life. He pulled his Light-consuming sword back to deliver the killing blow and I brought my auto rifle into line with his head. The sword started to come down. But bullets are faster and with trembling relief, I saw his head cave in as my rounds penetrated his skull.

Then, I just stood there shaking in the dark, covered in blood and Hive ichor.

I think the lady who gave me the quest said I did a good job. Or was it Ghost? I don't remember. I didn't hear it. I was just glad it was time to go back to the Tower.

You are well on your way to becoming legend Guardian. Well done

Yea like most guns, they are situational.

Up close/Mid-range = HC.
Mid-Range/Long-Range = Scout.

Personally when I have an upgraded scout, I use that. I miss my maxed (300) A1.189F89234HF4H scout. I basically sniped with that bad boy. The impact was so high, it took only 3 headshots to kill. Also had great RoF. When i got close enough range, I'd switch to shotty to have most of my grounds covered. There was a little no-mans-land zone between close/mid-range but normally wouldn't let it get to that. PvP wise.

I need help today GAF. I am on a quest to get the Fatebringer before the reset. I need a hard mode Templar checkpoint and five brave souls to try and beat him three times. I'll be on in about an hour. Anyone willing?

PS4
1. Ryck007

I want in, but I might need more than 1 hour to be ready (that means getting out of work).

Just make sure to send me a message when you guys are ready to go and I´ll se if I can hop on.

Psn is silvertoguebr

Steroyd

Right, so what happens if you're up against a team who have the best positions entrenched and you've tried co-ordinated efforts to retake it to no avail? The gap is just widening. You keep throwing yourselves at the point and hope they make a mistake?

Or what if, for whatever reason, you can't quite get the co-ordination to retake the advantageous point even through your team has an advantage (more fire team mic users, for example)?

Sometimes it's best to ignore the points for the moment and re-group, let the team see you're not pushing for a specific point and concentrate elsewhere. Move the flow of the map and wait for an opening.

Coordinating a push is not always the best tactic, brute forcing is not the only way to regain control, if you put too importance of retaking the advantageous point above all else ASAP then then you can start feeding he enemy kills.

And sometimes you can use the fact /know/ the other team will be rushing a specific point to your advantage.

Because there is no flow to a map like Blind Watch for example, from point C, you can cover point B in ridiculously less time than point A, plus there's so many advantageous cover positions etc.

The best strat I can think of, of blind watch is everyone sits back at A get killed and pray RNGesus spawns you ontop of C, that's how ridiculous I think the shitty spawn system is.

What are the perks on the vendor SR?

Could you elaborate on what you mean by the different progressions? Just the difference in Vanguard vs. Crucible rep and marks? Are you trying to get enough to buy legendary armor from the vendors?

Yeah, that's right. Ideally when grinding for the the vendor stuff, which is apparently the next thing one does after 20 to get to the raids, I'd be able to swap between PvP playlists and strike playlists and public events and sstuff. But now I just gotta grind PvP if I want my FWC gear. Oh well, at least the Vanguard marks I get from the occasional Roc strike can be used to buy upgrade mats

Rehsa

Tried to solo the lamps in CE with my warlock, made jump the first time but when I killed the knight i was swarmed by thralls, is that new? Couldn't make the jump after that so i gave up.

Top Bottom