• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

stb

Fatebringer is a special case, like many primary raid weapons. No hand cannon can have Firefly, like no scout rifle can have full auto like Vision of Confluence.

Problem is those weapons will stay at 300.

Yeah; the special cases like FB and VoC are really cool, and it does kinda suck that they're forever 300, but everyone that has a FB uses it in CE. Many are even planning on taking it into HM CE.

A 331 kinetic handcannon seems like it's really purpose-built for PVP, where there are already as-good-or-better exotic options (and if you're a PVP handcannon person, odds are you're not going to be bothered by using your exotic slot for Thorn/Hawkmoon/TLW.

It kinda makes the Lash come off like a charity version of Hawkmoon, so I'm still a little confused about why its quite so coveted.

Geneijin

I don't understand these responses to the rapier.

I have no issues with it. It has better stats on everything but stability compared to VoC and with the fast reload pwrk (Outlaw?) the 6 round difference is negligible.

Fatebringer is great but it is because it has elemental damage that keeps it suitable still. It won't be relevant for much longer.

Most importantly Fatebringer is useless at long range.
Against 32 Hallowed Knights in the Crota Raid
331 Satienne Rapier does 459 precision damage, 306 regular damage
300 Fatebringer does 627 precision damage, 418 regular damage

Against 32 Hallowed Acolytes in the Crota Raid
300 Fatebringer 1505 precision damage, 502 regular damage
331 Satienne Rapier 1019 precision damage, 304 regular damage

Basically, if you already have a Fatebringer and you enjoy using it, it's pointless to upgrade to a Satienne Rapier because hand cannons have a better damage modifier than scout rifles in general since the last buff/nerf patch. You're doing less damage overall, and the Satienne Rapier has a 13 round mag compared to Fatebringer's 12 round mag without Field Scout, so there's no point switching to one essentially. And if you are switching, you want something with a bigger mag in that case, which the vender version of Another NITC has.

EL CUCO

Is it safe to call a Timur's Lash with luck in the chamber a baby Hawkmoon?

we'd have to throw Field Scout in there, obviously.

hydruxo

Picked up a Red Death on Saturday.

Thoughts on it?

Should I concentrate on upgrading the following?

The Last Word?
Red Death?
Vex Mythos?
Is Bad Juju good now?

Please tell me which one of these id ok to scrap?

Praedyth's Timepiece? Worth upgrading to 300?

I have so many new weapons, I don't want to waste time on the garbage ones.

THX.

TLW = Godly for PVP, but it's a close range / slightly mid range oriented weapon. Best in the game when it comes to 1v1 encounters but it can put you in danger when you run into more than 1 or 2 people at once. Not a good choice for PVE.

Red Death = Well, it's a pulse rifle, but it's a good one. It's solid in PvP and PvE, but again it comes down to whether or not you like pulse rifles. Health regen perk is handy.

Vex = Fantastic in PvP and PvE. Close range and mid-range. Weaknesses are that it runs out of ammo quickly if you're firing sporadically, and it's only 323 attack rather than 331.

Bad Juju = Not the greatest gun, but it's good. Biggest draw for this gun is the perk that give you more super energy & instant reload upon kills. Combine it with Warlock's Obsidian Mind helm and you'll have Nova Bomb all the time.

I don't have Praedyths Timepiece but I've heard it's really only good for Arc Burn nightfalls, so take that for you will.

Thoughts on it?

The Last Word?
Red Death?
Vex Mythos?
Is Bad Juju good now?

THX.

95% PVE
I spend 5 % of my time in PVP but I will hold on to weapon you guys deem as PVP killers.

I guess a 331 high impact hand cannon that doesn't burn an exotic slot is NICE, but it seems like a "maximizing" thing, not really a game changer. If you're a HC person and play a lot of crucible, you are probably already rolling at least Thorn if not TWL or Hawkmoon.

Seems like a luxury item for the Destiny 1%ers. I guess, then, it makes total sense to this crowd. =)

The grind to rank 5 won't be too bad today. You should get the lash. It will probably be really useful for HM crota. You'll want a 331 attack weapon with very high impact for the damage output.

I need to glimmer farm badly tonight. After I hit rank 5.

Buy Hunter IB cloak
Play IB to reach rank 5 after a few matches.
Glimmer farm until 25k
Buy Timer's Lash

Warlock play a few matches to reach rank 4
Buy the IB bond & gloves (if not enough, replace end glimmer farm to here)

Continue to play with Hunter to try to get an IB Spear :\ At least if I earned marks it would make it better. But no... capped on marks a long time ago! Weekly cap should be at 200 haha. Takes forever to get crucible marks as is.

Glimmer farm to get back around 25k.

1 hour before reset, gamble/reroll whatever I have.

stb

Against 32 Hallowed Knights in the Crota Raid
331 Satienne Rapier does 459 precision damage, 306 regular damage
300 Fatebringer does 627 precision damage, 418 regular damage

Against 32 Hallowed Acolytes in the Crota Raid
300 Fatebringer 1505 precision damage, 502 regular damage
331 Satienne Rapier 1019 precision damage, 304 regular damage

Basically, if you already have a Fatebringer and you enjoy using it, it's pointless to upgrade to a Satienne Rapier because hand cannons have a better damage modifier than scout rifles in general since the last buff/nerf patch. You're doing less damage overall, and the Satienne Rapier has a 13 round mag compared to Fatebringer's 12 round mag without Field Scout, so there's no point switching to one essentially. And if you are switching, you want something with a bigger mag in that case, which the vender version of Another NITC has.

Thank you for putting numbers to this. I guess the only benefit to the Rapier is range, then? It'll also be interesting to see, in practice, how HM changes this with higher level enemies.

patchday

Yep. Imbalanced maps have a "poison point," more balanced maps have a "required point" (B) where it's debatable what the two best points are. Of course a good team can win without the proper points but only in spite of the map control disadvantage, which is a huge hill to climb against a decent team (lots of decent teams in IB).

For each map in IB:

Blind Watch: A = Poison

Firebase: C = Poison

Shores of Time: A = Poison
-----------------------------------------
Rusted Lands: B = Required. C is better than A imo but can go either way

Twilight Gap: B = Required. I don't have much preference on A vs C, don't be afraid to swap them if the spawns flip as long as B is held.

This is simply the truth. My old Halo pvp gang refused to do Control due to shit map layouts. Plus you'll die to nukes, AoE spam, & supers all the time in those tight little rooms that have control points

I am really burned out on Control and fuck why does Bungie keep pushing us into Control for IB? Why no option for Clash?! :(

Hit rank 4 in IB last night but it was painful and it made me hate the game more

BTW just for whomever considering grinding IB today, I manage to rank up ~60 % of the way to rank 5 just by turning in the bounties. I did not buy a buff or wore class armor. I only had the emblem and shader on.

Navy Bean

yeah, sounds like a good bet. I'd probably roll it twice again as well. Keep what you have, as the faster reload and bigger mag mitigates its only weaknesses for sure

I used an almost fully-leveled Timur's in Crota and VOG last night (Outlaw, Field Scout, Luck in the Chamber). It OHKs all regular enemies - critical hits for 1800 regular and 2400 with Luck. Also have flared magwell but I preferred the larger mag size most of the time.

I predict that when Comet comes out and the Hive Ship raid is level 46/49 that the Vault of Glass, Crota's End, and the Arena will all be updated to level 44, with appropriate weapons, ie level 44 equivalent where the new raid will have level 46 weapons.

Zakalwe

Banned
This is simply the truth. My old Halo pvp gang refused to do Control due to shit map layouts. Plus you'll die to nukes, AoE spam, & supers all the time in those tight little rooms that have control points

It's the absolute truth.

But what happens when you meet a team who knows that truth too and have a great defensive position?

Trying to wrest control of the advantageous points can lead you to a loss if you get tunnel vision about it.

Adaptability is important.

Thoughts on it?

The Last Word?
Red Death?
Vex Mythos?
Is Bad Juju good now?

THX.

Should not scrap any of them. Bad juju is great for Roc strikes to keep getting tonnes of supers.

Last Word is awesome in crucible

Vex for me is kinda meh, as there's other exotics which I feel are better for any of its roles.

Red Death - the jury is still out on this gun. People say it's a good pulse rifle, but there's no situation where it can classed as 'must use' or even 'should use' over other exotics.

If anything the one to scrap is Praedyths timepiece. It's a PoS imo. Fatebringer blows it out the water

stb

The grind to rank 5 won't be too bad today. You should get the lash. It will probably be really useful for HM crota. You'll want a 331 attack weapon with very high impact for the damage output.

I'll PROBABLY grind to 5, largely because I'm already at ~3.5 and with today's buff it shouldn't take long. I already have a scout rifle that rolled very similar to Rapier, so i feel like my bases are pretty well covered weapon-wise for HM Crota (still need a 36 light chest or helm, and legs). If I'm at 5, yeah, I'll pick one up because it'd be silly not to and may prove useful.

Lash just doesn't seem AS sexy as I've been interpreting it's cracked up to be.

Obviously controlling certain points gives you an advantage, but being able to adapt on the fly is a much better skill to learn than the tunnel vision of thinking you have to cap a certain point at all costs.

Imo (of course) you are really underselling how powerful the map control advantage is for this game mode on those particular maps. It's absolutely overwhelming against a reasonable team on BW, FD and SoT. A good team that knows the strats means they are good enough to easily beat you when holding the map control advantages on the imbalanced maps. The maps and scoring system are skewed so strongly in their favor.

Like I posted originally, some flexibility is great on more balanced maps: if spawns flip on TGap, just flip A for C or vice versa no problem... but you still have to hold B. Our problem on Firebase was that we never coordinated to push A at any point, including the beginning of the round. The best strats per map are always the best strats.

I predict that when Comet comes out and the Hive Ship raid is level 46/49 that the Vault of Glass, Crota's End, and the Arena will all be updated to level 44, with appropriate weapons, ie level 44 equivalent where the new raid will have level 46 weapons.

Maybe, it looks like we may be getting an entire weapon/gear/economy reset with Comet. The leaked slide mentions base level increasing to level 30. The light level system could be supplanted by something else entirely.

Whether it is Light or something else, level 30 min gear will probably take us to 40 for Comet with another 2 levels per expansion like now.

EL CUCO

HOLY SHIT JUST REROLLED MY ALMOST MAXED TIMURS LASH BY MISTAKE

Fuuuuuuuuuckkkk
Txbnf7t.jpg

I hate this game :'(

E92 M3

black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif

The difference in force between a Titan ramming like a train at full speed into someone and someone throwing a knife is not even comparable.

Gameplay mechanics are always more important than laws of physics.

Just about the distance from which you can hit people with SC vs. TK. Of course TK is a much higher skill move, especially from any decent range. SC is pretty stupid as a OHK, as if Crucible doesn't have low enough TTK across the board already.

SC is a very safe move 85% of the time and the TK does take a lot more skill to connect with. I just think the hunters got the worst melee move. Warlocks have great distance, plus a shield and Titans obviously have 1HKO.

a) Titan is supposed to be a Melee class. It's already shitty that Sunlock Warlocks has just as much tank as a 'force barrier' titan. Let's not take away the only advantage Titan class has in Melee range

b) Charging Titan has to come into close range and risk a shotgun blast to the face. Hunter can stand back and throw the knife with impunity

I play both classes (both at L30) btw

Titan's don't risk much with a shotgun blast, the shoulder charge is very instant. And we both know connecting with a throwing knife is not easy.

realcZk

I used an almost fully-leveled Timur's in Crota and VOG last night (Outlaw, Field Scout, Luck in the Chamber). It OHKs all regular enemies - critical hits for 1800 regular and 2400 with Luck. Also have flared magwell but I preferred the larger mag size most of the time.

rk3t0gI.gif

Maybe, it looks like we may be getting an entire weapon/gear/economy reset with Comet. The leaked slide mentions base level increasing to level 30. The light level system could be supplanted by something else entirely.

Whether it is Light or something else, level 30 min gear will probably take us to 40 for Comet with another 2 levels per expansion like now.
I was just guessing it will add another 10 to the base level, so if we go from 20 to 34 with the House of Wolves gear, we'll go from 30 to 44 with the Comet boost. Then the raid will have to add two more levels, so 46. I should have said the new raid will be 44/47 and then VoG, CE and Arena will be 42.

Is it safe to call a Timur's Lash with luck in the chamber a baby Hawkmoon?

we'd have to throw Field Scout in there, obviously.

Range (and having 3 perks to proc vs 1) still give HMoon a sizeable advantage there at the cost of the exotic slot. For Pvp I'd rather have a Timur's with Luck but without FS, just have to be very accurate and avoid getting into too many encounters too quickly without time to reload the smaller mag.

I just think the hunters got the worst melee move.

Yep, definitely agree with both of these. SC will get Titans into trouble if they get over confident but it is a stupid mechanic to be sure.

HOLY SHIT JUST REROLLED MY ALMOST MAXED TIMURS LASH BY MISTAKE

Fuuuuuuuuuckkkk
Txbnf7t.jpg
Hopefully you still have motes of light. I burn tho all mine trying to get a good spear load out. I resulted in screwing it up a decent one I had haha. It's whatever tho. Well maybe not for you :p
Edit: on my lash, I have outlaw, field scout and grenadier. Imo I don't think perfect balance is require with the low rate of fire. By the time you fire again, the recoil will be down and you should be able to aim well.

I stopped the rolling the Lash when I got rangefinder, perfect balance (or field scout) and last round (which speeds up reload when you empty the mag.) I want to save my motes to try and get Praxic Fire, so I didn't want to get sucked into the gambling mechanic.

yeah, sounds like a good bet. I'd probably roll it twice again as well. Keep what you have, as the faster reload and bigger mag mitigates its only weaknesses for sure

Field scout, crowd control, clown cartridge?

Vs

Field scout, spray and play, who's next (kill with final round increases reload)

Which one out of those two?

SC is a very safe move 85% of the time and the TK does take a lot more skill to connect with. I just think the hunters got the worst melee move. Warlocks have great distance, plus a shield and Titans obviously have 1HKO.

Titan's don't risk much with a shotgun blast, the shoulder charge is very instant. And we both know connecting with a throwing knife is not easy.

SC is very unsafe unless you're running around corners constantly. I think you're majorly downplaying the threat of shotguns (or even a good fusion rifle. Hell ive killed SC Titans with TLW) Especially if the enemy is paying attention to radar.

I'll give you that throwing knife takes more skill, but you can also OHK by precision hitting them (unlikely I concede). The reason that it's not a OHK, is it's instant unlike a SC which you need to (kinda) charge up. Plus the range on that far outclasses any other melee attack. If you add in the burning effect it's pretty effective.

Then in the hands of people like Zoba it goes from effective to wayyyy OP.

realcZk

Field scout, crowd control, clown cartridge?

Vs

Field scout, spray and play, who's next (kill with final round increases reload)

Which one out of those two?

lol damn, thats a tough one. depends on how often clown cartridge proc and how good it is. that with field scout could probably give pretty big magazine sizes, the bigger the magazine size, the less need for reloading. id probably level both and test them lol

patchday

I've been mowing down other titans with my shotty (usually use either SwordBreaker or Found verdict). I am not sure on my percentage of success to be fair. Perhaps 80%+? Granted, any time I see a titan charging at me I assume either the Fist of Havoc or a Shoulder Charge is coming. So I'm backing up and frantically spamming my shotgun

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Thanks. I'll send you a party chat invite in the meantime.

Yeah, send me a friend request whenever you can. I got 60,000 results looking for you :lol

Thanks for the raid guys, sorry I couldn't join you for the 2nd and 3rd runs... I'm not hardcore enough to have three characters ;)

So the Raid was... good to me this week. Got No Land Beyond from Deathsinger, and then from Crota himself I got Plan C and Hunger of Crota!

B7ufPxoCAAAfkdp.jpg:large

I was like WOW this is the best raid loot drop week ever! I got the Vex and Hard Light from Atheon a few days earlier. So I was kind of eager to try out my new goodies, so I head to the Crucible. Second match in I get a legendary engram. Almost 1:30am so I figure I might as well find out what it is and head to bed. And then.......

B7ug2wuCQAARRrK.jpg:large

da fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuq :OOOOOOO

lol damn, thats a tough one. depends on how often clown cartridge proc and how good it is. that with field scout could probably give pretty big magazine sizes, the bigger the magazine size, the less need for reloading. id probably level both and test them lol

It also has flared magwell. So even at 7 bullets, with fast reload and a chance for a larger magazine... That might be solid.

First world problems over here.

95% PVE
I spend 5 % of my time in PVP but I will hold on to weapon you guys deem as PVP killers.

Red Death and BJuju are the only exotics you mentioned that are better for PvE than PvP. Juju especially but really both of them are great for trash mobs, doing bounties, Roc strikes, etc. RDeath might be amazing for HM CE like I mentioned, but too early to say.

TLW and Vex are two of the best PvP exotics but two of the worst for PvE. They are both super fun to use though so definitely don't shard them if you only have 1 of each.

Timepiece is not worth leveling if you have FBringer. It's only real PvE utility is for arc burns but FB is a way better Legendary primary for that. Pulse rifles are terrible as an entire class unfortunately.

SC is very unsafe unless you're running around corners constantly. I think you're majorly downplaying the threat of shotguns (or even a good fusion rifle. Hell ive killed SC Titans with TLW) Especially if the enemy is paying attention to radar. .

Yep, agreed. Sometimes SC feels way OP, but requires some "suspect competition" to really abuse. Of course there's no shortage of that in Crucible...

Pretty cool post on reddit I saw where this guy made some minimalist wallpapers of exotics:
WUT no 1920x1080?!?! will still add it to my collection of 1749 wallpapers.

Really? Why? Because of the reload perks?

Woops I confused my self a little once I think about it. Spray and pray results faster reload when the chamber is empty and who's next pretty much do the same thing. I dont think they sack :/

hoggert

Fuck the matchmaking in this game sometimes. Keep getting matched with players in South America and the UK (I checked because they keep ice skating around murdering me with a glance 😩)

From a tad bit past rank 4 :p haha
of course I am just basing it on how much filled up didnt pay attention to the numbers

ohhh haha that makes sense then. Good thing you said something. I thought I was ~500 rep away from Rank 5 but I forgot I played 6 matches via Remote Play while trying to go to sleep. Regardless, I was going to waste a mote to get that 500 rep but that would have been worthless! Now only 165 rep away :)

If only work can move a little faster today.

Top Bottom