• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

Deku Tree

Deku - I believe we both did our first raid together on VoG way back. Unfortunately, we must have picked up the NO OP Heavy Weapon Exotic seed at that time. I can't remember who else was there (maybe CollegeBoy) but I'd love to know if they ever found a GHorn or Thunderlord.

I remeber that! CollegeBoy was running the relic and taught us how to cheese the templar on the side pillar! I havent seen him playing Destiny in a while...

Edit: and then I think it was me and you who "found" the spirit bloom path down to the Gorgons maze. Good times.

EL CUCO

I finally got Hawkmoon after playing this game regularly for so many months... Still no GHorn, still no Thunderlord...
36HfyeW.jpg

Congrats!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Question: In Crota's End, what triggers the spawning of the ogres during the bridge/swordbearer/gate keeper fight? The reason I ask is because when I ran the raid last night, we had one guy get the sword, cross the bridge, kill the gatekeeper then hide. The rest of us on the other side moved to sniper positions, so not on the plates and then the ogres spawned soon after. We sniped the ogres and that was that. Can anybody explain this part of the fight?
Hmmm. Did you despawn the enemies?
I'm not saying your wrong (statistics and random odds are not my thing), but it really does feel like there is something in the code that swings drops to favor what you already have. I have this picture in my head of a game that does a quick poll of what you have in inventory and thinks that you must like those weapons, so it favors that to give you a shot at a different perk tree.
I absolutely disagree, not least of all because coding anything of the sort would be an undue burden. What benefit could such a system have that wouldn't be just as fulfilled by a truly random one? Especially with regard to exotic weapons, where a duplicate copy is literally identical...

I simply haven't seen any compelling evidence- none- of any kind of "poll your inventory" or "maintain a persistent record of past drops" voodoo going on. It all just seems completely random.

The problem is that if you're not looking at it from the perspective that a computer "looks" at it- without any care given as to how a player will feel about what happens- it seems like random should mean something other than what it really means. It seems like a random system should give you all kinds of crazy different loot all the time, rather than give you lots of the same item over and over again. How could that be random? But the die is cast without any regard for what happened the last time you rolled it. It doesn't care. And if we can accept that every non-Vex, non-Necrochasm, non-Bounty, non-Fate of all Fools Exotic weapon has an equal chance of rolling from a Nightfall, then when you get an Exotic weapon roll from your Nightfall it doesn't matter how many times you've gotten an item before... you have a 1/15 chance of getting it again.
I also get a dupe WAY more often then I get something unique.
Ah man. I hope you can bear with me for a minute here.

What you've said right here, this sentence, this is something I've seen before in these arguments. The truth (and I am absolutely sure what you've said is accurate) contained within, it seems... so fundamentally obvious, so necessary for this to be the case that I feel like I'm missing something. If I go wrong here, if my logic isn't sound, please point out how.

Okay. Let's limit our probabilities to just the potential rolls that could include Exotic weapons, and accept the premise that you successful roll for "an exotic weapon." The bounties aren't an option, nor the Vex/Necrochasm, nor FoaF. Assume PS4, that's 15 potential options.

If you have 0/15 Exotic weapons and you roll for an Exotic weapon, your percent chance of getting one you don't have before is 100%.
If you have 8/15 Exotic weapons and you roll for an Exotic weapon, your percent chance of getting one you don't have is 47%- worse odds than calling a coin flip successfully.
If you have 14/15 Exotic weapons and you roll for an Exotic weapon, your percent chance of getting one you don't have is 7%.

How could you not get dupes way more often than something unique, in a random system? After your first ever Exotic is acquired, your chances of getting something unique from any subsequent rolls decrease every time you do!

If, instead, it seemed far more likely for you to get an item you didn't have before than to get a duplicate- as though it were checking for items you already had, as you surmise Destiny may be doing already- this would be indicative of a non-random system; one guided to manipulate the results based on the player experience rather than unfeeling probabilities.

Is it coincidence that I no longer get P&T's and Truth's since I didn't bother to upgrade them and have permanently vaulted them?
Yes! Why is this not yes?!
Probably,
ahahaha. well okay.
but something does feel off about the RNG.
"feel," "something in the code," "something off"; these are terms you want to stay clear of when looking at stuff like this. The most important concept to keep in mind if we're considering whether a system is random or not is that a random system doesn't care how something feels, how inconvenient or all-at-once amazing it is. It's just doing math and spitting out the results.
I finally got around to watching this. Funny, he didn't use the Shrieker room for Arc burn. http://youtu.be/wPpqph4Pmvk
I guess one hit wonder Phogoth can claim any mans pride during void burn lol
Hah, well there you go, this is more or less what I plan to do. With a team it's completely viable for Void burn as well, just super dangerous solo obviously.

Hey anyone need help doing anything... Anything at all.

I still have to do Weekly/Nightfall/Raids

If anyone has a spot open shoot me a FR

PSN: B_Spooky13

Shito

Dat burning hope when a Rahool package gives you a purple heavy engram!
Dat crushed soul when it decodes to once again a crappy legendary rocket launcher...

Trakan

I simply haven't seen any compelling evidence- none- of any kind of "poll your inventory" or "maintain a persistent record of past drops" voodoo going on. It all just seems completely random.

I don't believe in some "poll your inventory" system either, but there's no way it's 100% completely random either.

Last night, I got a 4th horseman from skirmish. Two games later, zew gets one. Today, zew gets a Universal Remote from the Gorgon chest. Today, I get one from the Gorgon chest. I then get one from Nightfall as well. This isn't the first time things like this have happened.

I mean, the odds of things like this happening once let alone multiple times to one user is like if I was struck by lightning the day I won the lottery.

brau

Woots! thanks guys~! another success story.

B71LmS6IQAIwPK4.jpg:large

now that i can do some damage. Someone add me! lol.

i am up for helping out.

Top Bottom