• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But what are the odds that I would get 5 MIDA multitools and Zero GHorns? What are the odds that I would get back to back No Land Beyond and Dragon's Breath, but Zero Thunderlords. I know I'm more likely to get a dupe than not, but a week with all purple engrams turning into fusion rifles with knee pads is just weird when there are so many other possible outcomes.
You understand that the answers to these questions are calculations, right?

The odds are whatever they are. That's what I'm trying to tell you. You, Hudson, are the experiencer of a multitude of one-in-a-million events on a regular basis in Destiny- merely because there are millions of people playing.

You have to understand... the implicit argument you're making is that if this stuff didn't happen, if you received only one MIDA Multi-Tool, 1 Ghorn, 1 Thunderlord, 1 No land beyond, 1 Dragon's Breath, and fusion rifles with a different perk each time- that would necessarily be more random. Does that sound right to you? Random gives you everything you want, in equal distribution?
Last week every other exotic weapon drop that I saw during the three raids and nightfalls was a Monty Carlo. Could the RNG use something like the date or time to cough up a seemingly random but not truly random outcome?
*shrug* Monte Carlo is my "locked drop" too ;) I've gotten 7.

Except for the "seemingly random" (you're saying it explicitly does NOT seem random), of course it could. Any nonrandom scenario could be concocted to drive the experience, instead of a random one. But again, what's the actual evidence that this is the case? Why does your individual experience make this setup more likely than actual randomness producing the same results?
Seeing patterns that aren't there in randomness is hard to avoid...
You're absolutely right- this is human nature. It's almost impossible to avoid, actually.. pattern recognition isn't just a pasttime for human beings, it's a survival instinct.
but doing the Gorgon chest back to back, and the same guy gets GHorn two times in a row when the other five people didn't even get an exotic either time is just mind bending.
Let me ask you this: the fact that most everyone more or less seems to have a story like this- the fact that most anyone, at command, can produce an anecdote of unimaginable odds- does that make you feel more confident that it's not random? I'd like to be able to make my case more cogently, and I know there's an angle I haven't looked at it from yet.

I... I don't tend to make much progress in this debates. The way something feels to you is always going to be more compelling than the absolute odds. But like I said... I make the general point- everything I've seen so far supports true randomness (or psuedorandomness, again, for those who know why I'd make this distinction). Then, people respond with anecdotes about their loot drops, or those of people they've seen. These anecdotes typically involve no more than 1-5 players and the conclusion is "this is so weird, it can't be random." As though randomness producing results that feel weird means anything at all outside of the individual experience.

This is laughable in terms of evidence. You need a statistical analysis of some significant pool of players... at least hundreds, but preferably hundreds of thousands... showing not that the system produces lots of coincidences- it HAS to do that- but that the results adhere to some pattern rather than aligning roughly with a random distribution.

What exactly are the rewards for the Daily Story Mission? I thought it was strange coins, but didn't get one for doing it, so that must not be right.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Thanks Irawr. Got them all. Maybe these shards will be useful again in a couple of months.

About to run the weekly with my last character. Join in when I start anybody.

Agent

Got my 3rd Gjallarhorn
please don't kill me
from Deathsinger. Now I have one for every character so no more switching.

Anyone want to do Nightfall / Weekly Heroic 3x?

PSN: phantom8324

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lushious, it's making me install a patch!
I once got two Plan Cs from back to back nightfalls in 30 minutes.
more anecdotes aaaaaaaah
I'm not going to pretend like I know how this RNG system works, but I'll throw something out there. So let's say the game rolls a number during nightfall #1. It decides what table my loot will be drawn from. I'm guessing the chance to get an exotic at all is pretty low compared to something like a legendary, materials, or coins. So I win that roll and I'm going to get an exotic. Now it's going to roll again to pick from 1 of X number of exotics (whatever the total is with weapons and armor included).
We don't know, but yeah, that all seems right.
The odds of getting the exact same result within 30 minutes of each other cannot be good AT ALL. Is it a coincidence? Of course, but it's something where the odds are so awful that it makes no sense that it happens as often as it does.
The one thing I can give you here is that the odds of getting the exact same result from the same two probabilistic events within 30 minutes are the same as getting the exact same result within one year of each other. The duration of time between the results has no impact.

I'm telling you it absolutely makes sense. If it didn't happen, would you think, "gee, this is really random?" Is that what would make the difference- not seeing frequent coincidences?
This is what I'm wondering as well. Hawkian, I get that I have a 7% chance of getting the one exotic I don't have if I'm at 14/15. What are the chances that I get 7 Suros and 7 Truths before I get 1 Hawkmoon?
The odds of getting both (7 Suros) and (7 Truths), alone, even without regard to "before (x)," are already pretty huge. Probably <1 in one or two million already... but you're just driving my point home. That you, as an individual, have experienced this, is meaningless, or even moreso, an expected result.

M3Rocket

You understand that the answers to these questions are calculations, right?

The odds are whatever they are. That's what I'm trying to tell you. You, Hudson, are the experiencer of a multitude of one-in-a-million events on a regular basis in Destiny- merely because there are millions of people playing.

You have to understand... the implicit argument you're making is that if this stuff didn't happen, if you received only one MIDA Multi-Tool, 1 Ghorn, 1 Thunderlord, 1 No land beyond, 1 Dragon's Breath, and fusion rifles with a different perk each time- that would necessarily be more random. Does that sound right to you? Random gives you everything you want, in equal distribution?

*shrug* Monte Carlo is my "locked drop" too ;) I've gotten 7.

Except for the "seemingly random" (you're saying it explicitly does NOT seem random), of course it could. Any nonrandom scenario could be concocted to drive the experience, instead of a random one. But again, what's the actual evidence that this is the case? Why does your individual experience make this setup more likely than actual randomness producing the same results?

You're absolutely right- this is human nature. It's almost impossible to avoid, actually.. pattern recognition isn't just a pasttime for human beings, it's a survival instinct.

Let me ask you this: the fact that most everyone more or less seems to have a story like this- the fact that most anyone, at command, can produce an anecdote of unimaginable odds- does that make you feel more confident that it's not random? I'd like to be able to make my case more cogently, and I know there's an angle I haven't looked at it from yet.

I... I don't tend to make much progress in this debates. The way something feels to you is always going to be more compelling than the absolute odds. But like I said... I make the general point- everything I've seen so far supports true randomness (or psuedorandomness, again, for those who know why I'd make this distinction). Then, people respond with anecdotes about their loot drops, or those of people they've seen. These anecdotes typically involve no more than 1-5 players and the conclusion is "this is so weird, it can't be random." As though randomness producing results that feel weird means anything at all outside of the individual experience.

This is laughable in terms of evidence. You need a statistical analysis of some significant pool of players... at least hundreds, but preferably hundreds of thousands... showing not that the system produces lots of coincidences- it HAS to do that- but that the results adhere to some pattern rather than aligning roughly with a random distribution.

I think you're articulating this as well as you possibly can. However, it is our very genetic predisposition to assign patterns to everything--it is a survival instinct.

Either way, my "coping" mechanism for Destiny RNGesus is to never expect any loot. If I get something useful, then it's bonus. If I get an Exotic, I'm thankful that at the very least I have a free shard to use for something else.

Greenymac

Got my 3rd Gjallarhorn
please don't kill me
from Deathsinger. Now I have one for every character so no more switching.

Anyone want to do Nightfall / Weekly Heroic 3x?

PSN: phantom8324

Nice run phantom! Good fun and I was able to be a little risky with the sword for kicks! Still no black hammer or hunger of crota for me, but I guess RNG is just waiting to bless me with hard raid love...

EL CUCO

Did my first ever Raid today (Crota one). Got the gauntlets and shotgun so not a bad start. Need me a chest and legs.
Nice! Congrats. You should try to find a group that's running VOG one of these days. The gear is a little outdated (except for the exotics) but the experience is second to none in Destiny.

Nice run phantom! Good fun and I was able to be a little risky with the sword for kicks! Still no black hammer or hunger of crota for me, but I guess RNG is just waiting to bless me with hard raid love...

Nice job with the sword tonight. Never give up!
Better luck in the hard raid.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think you're articulating this as well as you possibly can. However, it is our very genetic predisposition to assign patterns to everything--it is a survival instinct.

Either way, my "coping" mechanism for Destiny RNGesus is to never expect any loot. If I get something useful, then it's bonus. If I get an Exotic, I'm thankful that at the very least I have a free shard to use for something else.
Really really good approach, especially with the Nightfall. The XP/rep buff, rep, marks, and XP are pretty substantial, the roll is a bonus :)

jadedm17

Yeah just letting people get the checkpoint currently
Truth.... so close yet so far. Free shard is always great so thank you.
Really really good approach, especially with the Nightfall. The XP/rep buff, rep, marks, and XP are pretty substantial, the roll is a bonus :)
More people need to understand , moreso with things like nightfall that have a lot of outdated rolls for high level players.

For VoG normal what level is recommended? My Warlock just hit 25 and I want to know when can I take him through VoG. . I need someone who is patient. I completed it 50+ on my Hunter but I don't know how I will do with a level 25 Warlock.

For VoG normal what level is recommended? My Warlock just hit 25 and I want to know when can I take him through VoG. . I need someone who is patient. I completed it 50+ on my Hunter but I don't know how I will do with a level 25 Warlock.
You can prob do it as a lvl25 since you know what you're doing :)

Btw need 3 more for VoG HM starting from gorgon checkpoint.

Top Bottom