• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

Love all the people bitching about hard mode.

Look no further easy mode is still right in there waiting for you.
IMO Hard mode is not "hard" its the lag ( as much as I hate to blame it on) and bugs/glitches. There's noting you can do if the final sword disappears, which results in a auto wipe. Its really frustrating when hes about dead and that happens. But each their own.

GlamFM

Banned
I agree.

At night. I need a break from destiny to recharge my batteries.

Btw, Mindlog was doing a great work but the damage output on crota from the sword during the world record is just destroying ours. We need to figure out what combo they are using.

Yeah - what´s up with that?

He was almost down after the first run.

We did it a couple of times with Dhruv and never came close to that.

R0ckman

Lol at people who think the challenge in this is legit. There's too much in the coding working against you. Even with the middle strat, if the sword bearer does not come out directly into the middle immediately, you may as well wipe. Most of the time the sword bearer is hiding.

bitsurugi

If it helps:

18 R2's are needed to kill Crota. 15th R2 enrages Crota. So it should be doable with 5 cycle of 3xR2, after that you need to do 3 R2's when the forced enrage kicks in.

Need to beat those ogres tho.

Lol at people who think the challenge in this is legit. There's too much in the coding working against you. Even with the middle strat, if the sword bearer does not come out directly into the middle immediately, you may as well wipe. Most of the time the sword bearer is hiding.

Swordbearer path finding is brutal.

Rixa

As someone with no affect or ego in the matter (didn't try hard mode -- heck, didn't even completed normal Crota yet), all I see are people bitching about the numerous bugs making hard mode unfair at the moment.

We failed one round at bridgepart yesterday. For the first time of ~3 months I got error that crashed Destiny. I was wtf just happened "Great now I need to start Destiny again".

All the other bugs & glitches. Hard is hard but those f*cking glitches that are still there :(.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
As someone with no affect or ego in the matter (didn't try hard mode -- heck, didn't even completed normal Crota yet), all I see are people bitching about the numerous bugs making hard mode unfair at the moment.

Yeah I actually enjoy the challenge of no chalice and having to coordinate to do enough damage. I even like the oversoul @ low life.

The way these elements are implemented is poorly designed, however. With such a small margin for error, the systems in place need to be reliable and they simply aren't.

Zocano

Yeah - what´s up with that?

He was almost down after the first run.

We did it a couple of times with Dhruv and never came close to that.

They are using the titan's bubble to make orbs of light for the sword super.

Also having 4+ gjallarhorns so that they can get three rounds in one sword helps.

noomi

Waiting with hard mode to fix cheeses/exploits is one thing, but this time it feels like hard mode is deliberately designed to fuck with the most established/best strats in taking down Crota. That's not adding challenge, that's just fucking with your players/adding artificial difficulty. Making the enemies more bullet spongy after players telling time and time again the bullet sponge enemies are absolutely horrible. And this time they just take it to the fucking next level. Relatively safe zone in the middle hallway, fuck that, here's an invincible fucking enemy that respawns instantly when you kill it. Dedicated knight sniper, here, have a fucking major wizard when you kill them. Swordbearers are getting too reliable in killing Crota? Here have a fucking insta-enrage when you're about to kill him just to fuck you over right before the finish line. The lack of chalice is one thing, but the other additions are just making shit frustatingly difficult for the sake of making it difficult. Instead of adding you know, another Crota form or any other mechanically interesting challenge to the endboss.

Just no.

Seriously.... it get's so frustrating after banging your head on a wall over and over.... I think when we try again today, we skip the bubble strat and I just do my normal invis strat that never fails me during normal mode. The only thing that fucks me up now are the ogres, and that enrage at the end :/

Yeah know what you mean mate. I will be available like on Saturday evening , currently relaxing for two days at a beautiful cottage with wife and friends , lots of boozing and sightseeing, clear the head and get back more determined then ever , we will own crota , I know we will.

Yeah man, we are trying to perfect that strat for this weekend, I will leave one or two of my alts alone so I can run it fresh with you again ;)

Jinjo

It's hard mode. What did you expect? Things to be easier? There are already legit strategies to beating the hard raid that are doable for a well coordinated fireteam, bugs notwithstanding.

I didn't expect it to be easier but I think it's completely fair to question Bungie's approach to hard mode/design philosophy to making games harder. In the end playing games, while certainly allowed to be challenging, should be fun. Not an exercise in frustration.

Love all the people bitching about hard mode.

Look no further easy mode is still right in there waiting for you.

Nice condescending post there bud. So questioning Bungie's design philosophy is not possible anymore without being called a bitch/not capable enough for hard mode. Thanks for your constructive contribution.

Steroyd

I agree.

At night. I need a break from destiny to recharge my batteries.

Btw, Mindlog was doing a great work but the damage output on crota from the sword during the world record is just destroying ours. We need to figure out what combo they are using.

Doesn't matter what combo was used, the bubble in the middle pulling aggro on the knights was probably gift of the void which meant he had access to his super when on Crota.

Blade Dancers can just blade dance in the middle with hungering blade, profit profit, Warlocks would need radiant skin and rain hell via fusion grenades to provide the same result.

They are using the titan's bubble to make orbs of light for the sword super.

Also having 4+ gjallarhorns so that they can get three rounds in one sword helps.

Dropping Crota is not a problem for most of us.

As for orbs, I still need to see the POV. Does the sword guy supers crota once or twice?

ocean

Banned
No idea. Do you have the link for the Sword POV on the record run?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIUEoFq8gHk

Their explanation:

Upon reaching the rock, the sword wielder would signal his four teammates on the center ledge to begin firing their Gjallarhorn (Each would fire on average one to two rockets + some primary fire). While the rockets are in air about to hit Crota, the sword wielder would jump up onto Crota's platform and begin running towards Crota. Meanwhile, the defender Titan would be chasing right behind the sword wielder and would drop his bubble right behind the sword wielder as soon as he begins swinging the sword. This bubble is crucial because not only does it act as a shield protecting the sword wielder from boomer shots on the right, but also spawns two orbs of light that will allow for the sword wielder to use his super before the sword disappears. After slamming Crota preferably 4 times (if timed perfectly), the sword wielder will quickly run back to the rock on the right and wait for his four teammates in the center to down Crota once again. Once the second set of missiles are in the air, the sword wielder will once again jump up to where Crota is standing, run through the Titan bubble, and attempt to get in another four slams. During this time, the defender that placed the bubble previously should be standing on the rock to the right of Crota, shooting at Crota with primary fire to assist in downing him. After this, the sword wielder will run back to the rock and await the third and final barrage of missiles. GETTING A THIRD ROUND OF DAMAGE BEFORE THE SWORD DISAPPEARS IS HARD. Even if you successfully timed the first two rounds of damage, the sword wielder will only have enough time for one slam cancelled into a super slam (which is exactly what I do in the video).
Have all guardians run to the back left portion of the map (Left when facing Crota). BE CAREFUL! Boomers will attempt to kill you and damage is not something you can afford to take (jumping helps massively at this part). After successfully running as far back as possible on the left, boomers should not be able to hit you. There is no need to kill these boomers (killing them would spawn a Major wizard) so instead maybe kill one and leave the other be. Have one person try to keep an eye out for Crota while he is on the right. The moment Crota beings to move back to the center, all guardians will migrate back to the outer ledge in the middle of the map. Hopefully the Swordbearer will be in sight at this point (sometimes he hides on the left). Repeat the same strategy for killing the first Swordbearer at this point.
Once the sword has been picked up, the sword wielder and Titan will follow the same procedure for the initial round of damage. After getting in about four slams Crota will enrage. We discovered that at around 15%-20% HP Crota will enrage no matter how fast your run was. DON'T PANIC AND DON'T SHOOT THE OVERSOUL. This point of the fight really is all or nothing. If you can't finish Crota at this point you are as good as dead. Make sure the four Gjallarhorn users do not panic. Have them wait for Crota's temporary invincibility that he normally has when standing up after crouching to wear off. At this point they will fire all they got to take him down while the sword wielder runs up and swings like he has never swung before.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah I watched some of the strategics videos. Meh I think my enrage phase is over. I still want to beat this shit so I will still run it whenever the team is able to do it.

edit:Well I guess they are technical "less spongy" just the leveling scaling + lag +glitches ;)
Son,
lesbian bears
am disappoint!

ocean

Banned
They make it look simple but that strategy requires some world class coordination. Consistently getting 4 hits and a third kneel that manages a hit canceling the animation into a super then getting out and surviving? Looks super cool on video but execution is nigh impossible to replicate.

Serious props to that team on a daring, creative strategy executed flawlessly.

Zocano

They make it look simple but that strategy requires some world class coordination. Consistently getting 4 hits and a third kneel that manages a hit canceling the animation into a super then getting out and surviving? Looks super cool on video but execution is nigh impossible to replicate.

Serious props to that team on a daring, creative strategy executed flawlessly.

People should learn to be more coordinated then.

Just had a little RNGesus miracle. Doing ROC to get a few more marks to buy the last piece of Vendor gear for my Warlock to hit leven 31. When I finally hit the requisite marks to buy it a Legendary Engram dropped. It ends up being the missing piece I need. Now I have marks to spare.

noomi

I feel like the bubble strategy while very good and possible to get Crota down fast and before ogres is just too fucking risky. We tried this yesterday for 4 hours and came close, but never killed him.

People are saying that the old bladedancer invis tactic still works, but takes longer, and you also have to deal with ogres (which is also what we struggled with).

I feel the old bladedancer tactic is safer and I plan on trying it today to see how it compares. let's see....

Zocano

Figuring out how to handle the orge phase now is really the biggest thing. After that, everything else seems pretty simple to execute on.

Have to deal with shitty ogre pathfinding though.

Thank you.

Doesn't matter what combo was used, the bubble in the middle pulling aggro on the knights was probably gift of the void which meant he had access to his super when on Crota.

Blade Dancers can just blade dance in the middle with hungering blade, profit profit, Warlocks would need radiant skin and rain hell via fusion grenades to provide the same result.

See the explanation. They get 4 hits on crota in the first 2 attempts. Thats why crota is under 50% with the super still to go! That is amazing.

We were just getting 3 everytime.

Zocano

What does that even mean?

This encounter has brought out the worst in this community. Snarky attitudes are all over the place, I don't get it.

I've been pretty vocal for a long time about how I think most people are just bad at this game and that 90% of the time you're working against people not being capable of keeping their own shit together rather than a bug or "luck".

That's how it's worked for every MMO I've ever been in and it applies just fine to Destiny (though Destiny has far more bugs than a polished and smooth running MMO raid).

I feel like the bubble strategy while very good and possible to get Crota down fast and before ogres is just too fucking risky. We tried this yesterday for 4 hours and came close, but never killed him.

People are saying that the old bladedancer invis tactic still works, but takes longer, and you also have to deal with ogres (which is also what we struggled with).

I feel the old bladedancer tactic is safer and I plan on trying it today to see how it compares. let's see....

If there was a way to safelly take care of Ogres, the old strategy would still work perfectly and you'd have ppl to spare when it came to taking care of Boomers.

So far tho, Ogres usually mean death.

Zakalwe

Banned
Reading all these issues with the hard raid, is there any point goign in as a 31? I've not played much Destiny over the last couple of months and I still need around 40 shards to hit 32.

Also: I just got a wireless 2.0 headset, is anyone here using one? Read conflicting reports about the mic quality. I think Boguester uses one and his mic always sounds perfectly clear to me.

ocean

Banned
Thank you.

See the explanation. They get 4 hits on crota in the first 2 attempts. Thats why crota is under 50% with the super still to go! That is amazing.

4 hits, 4 hits then a hit and a super. That's about twice as much damage as doing 3+3.

MrS

Banned
I didn't expect it to be easier but I think it's completely fair to question Bungie's approach to hard mode/design philosophy to making games harder. In the end playing games, while certainly allowed to be challenging, should be fun. Not an exercise in frustration.
The raid is still fun though. Is it frustrating? Definitely, but once you've got the strategy down and are executing it, it's a hell of a lot of fun. The bugs would detract from that - thankfully we only encountered a bit of lag. You get the same satisfaction from beating hard mode Crota as you did from beating VOG for the first time, and that sense of accomplishment is the best thing Destiny has going for it IMO.

GlamFM

Banned
Thank you.

Not sure if the first hit actually did damage though.

He hits him before he goes down.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
you guys are all enablers D: we all need to quit at once for it to work.
RIP. Gotta find a new co-op game soon. :(

The raid is still fun though. Is it frustrating? Definitely, but once you've got the strategy down and are executing it, it's a hell of a lot of fun. The bugs would detract from that - thankfully we only encountered a bit of lag. You get the same satisfaction from beating hard mode Crota as you did from beating VOG for the first time, and that sense of accomplishment is the best thing Destiny has going for it IMO.
When I did VoG Flawless, I didn't feel like I accomplished anything out than beating Bungie at their own poorly designed game. I expect to feel the same way if I ever finish Crota... not elation, but a release of a ball of pure hatred that will soon turn into the ether of indifference.

GlamFM

Banned
Reading all these issues with the hard raid, is there any point goign in as a 31? I've not played much Destiny over the last couple of months and I still need around 40 shards to hit 32.

Honestly? No.

Also: I just got a wireless 2.0 headset, is anyone here using one? Read conflicting reports about the mic quality. I think Boguester uses one and his mic always sounds perfectly clear to me.

I have it and I´m super happy with it.

KeRaSh

Came out of the raid quite disappointed last night. Seeing as how we had to wait six weeks for this raid to come out I think I was expecting a little something else...

This is what gets me the most. They did absolutely nothing new with the hard mode, even less than VoG. There were so many interesting possibilities but instead they waited 6 weeks to patch most cheeses and half assed the rest.
I don't know why they thought it would be necessary to lock out these mediocre weapons from cheesers. Why even bother? Nobody will use them outside of Nightfalls...

My brother and I both have it and we regularly talk in party chat. Mic quality is great.

RIP. Gotta find a new co-op game soon. :(

When I did VoG Flawless, I didn't feel like I accomplished anything out than beating Bungie at their own poorly designed game. I expect to feel the same way if I ever finish Crota... not elation, but a release of a ball of pure hatred that will soon turn into the ether of indifference.

Let me know what coop games you guys will get.

Omni

Realised that I had a bunch of unclaimed bounties on my secondary character. Almost have this auto rifle maxed out already xD

R0ckman

I've been pretty vocal for a long time about how I think most people are just bad at this game and that 90% of the time you're working against people not being capable of keeping their own shit together rather than a bug or "luck".

That's how it's worked for every MMO I've ever been in and it applies just fine to Destiny (though Destiny has far more bugs than a polished and smooth running MMO raid).

The likelihood of you getting a team that can stay on their task while making good judgement modification based on situations is low. Even on a successful run someone posted the guy had to yell at his teammates to help him with the sword bearer. There is nothing else in the Crota encounter that requires 5 people's attention when it's time to take down the sword bearer.

ocean

Banned

So GAF groups spent 6-10 hours stuck on Crota on account of being bad at this game and not being able to "keep their shit together".

OK.

Zocano

I don't know why they thought it would be necessary to lock out these mediocre weapons from cheesers. Why even bother? Nobody will use them outside of Nightfalls...

This is the most amusing part of Hard Raid crota to me.

There is literally only one raid weapon I care for and that's Abyss Defiant. And I don't even have to bother with Crota to get it. I can just run the beginning parts until I get it and then I don't have to bat an eye to it.

I can't make myself give a single shit about hand cannons unless it's PVP where they're absurdly overpowered compared to every other weapon so I don't care for fate bringer or word of crota. And Necrochasm probably sucks shit so why care about it.

And finallyyyyy, the cherry on top: none of it matters because once House of Wolves comes out all our work that we've put it will mean nothing because you can just progress past all of this content without ever having actually done it. We'll replace most of our weapons and gear within a few days and none of it will matter.

Their handling of this game's progression is atrocious (just like most MMOs!)

So GAF groups spent 6-10 hours stuck on Crota on account of being bad at this game and not being able to "keep their shit together".

OK.

I would say player skill factors in to it a degree, yes.

The likelihood of you getting a team that can stay on their task while making good judgement modification based on situations is low. Even on a successful run someone posted the guy had to yell at his teammates to help him with the sword bearer. There is nothing else in the Crota encounter that requires 5 people's attention when it's time to take down the sword bearer.

...Yes? This is the problem I usually face when trying to deal with coordinated groups. Most people aren't good at it. I've gone through plenty of MMOs knowing this and it takes a long time to weed out who is just bad and who is good and can actually work together.

edit: I'll reiterate and say (again) that Destiny has more bugs and issues than your standard MMO raids which are generally very polished out and smooth running (and you basically can't "cheese" due to the nature of Tank-Healer-DPS).

Of course, bugs and shit are a problem. But a lot of the time it also just comes down to people not being capable of adapting to them in the moment.

noomi

Hah, yeah you definitely are no stranger to telling people to shape the fuck up! I've been in some crap groups as well and I know how frustrating it can get when people are not performing up to par :/

If there was a way to safelly take care of Ogres, the old strategy would still work perfectly and you'd have ppl to spare when it came to taking care of Boomers.

So far tho, Ogres usually mean death.

We were able to get the ogres downed twice pretty safely, just took a while. I still think it's crazy early to call any strategy the best one. We haven't even had it for 24 hours yet, I bet over the next few days people will get it down even better ;)

Dude... GAF groupS.

You're talking about hardcore players that have ZERO difficulty handling anything else this games has thrown at them.

Placing the enemy level above maximum player level is really just lazy.

Not to toot my own horn, but the group of guys we had yesterday was solid as fuck, including myself. We are the hardcore players that have no issue running through anything... until yesterday. Hard Mode is just a wee bit too much....

I can handle the level 34's, I can handle wizards and boomers, even ogres. But having no chalice/revives and that damn enrage thing at the end just pushes it a bit too far IMOIMOIMO

KeRaSh

This is the most amusing part of Hard Raid crota to me.

There is literally only one raid weapon I care for and that's Abyss Defiant. And I don't even have to bother with Crota to get it. I can just run the beginning parts until I get it and then I don't have to bat an eye to it.

I can't make myself give a single shit about hand cannons unless it's PVP where they're absurdly overpowered compared to every other weapon so I don't care for fate bringer or word of crota. And Necrochasm probably sucks shit so why care about it.

And finallyyyyy, the cherry on top: none of it matters because once House of Wolves comes out all our work that we've put it will mean nothing because you can just progress past all of this content without ever having actually done it. We'll replace most of our weapons and gear within a few days and none of it will matter.

Yeah, I won't bother with anything other than the lamp section and the bridge which I should be able to solo (already did the lamp section and got the weapon).
I got the helmet from Crota once and every possible NM weapon (even two BHs and two HoCs) which is more than I wanted. No reason for me to run anything else from Crota HM once I have the bridge auto rifle.

Hah, yeah you definitely are no stranger to telling people to shape the fuck up! I've been in some crap groups as well and I know how frustrating it can get when people are not performing up to par :/

We were able to get the ogres downed twice pretty safely, just took a while. I still think it's crazy early to call any strategy the best one. We haven't even had it for 24 hours yet, I bet over the next few days people will get it down even better ;)

Absolutelly. All I said is that, right now, that strategy is the best one.
That said, I'd rather just go for 3 safe strikes at Crota instead of 4 risky ones if I had a strat for the ogres.

Top Bottom