• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

R0ckman

This is the most amusing part of Hard Raid crota to me.

There is literally only one raid weapon I care for and that's Abyss Defiant. And I don't even have to bother with Crota to get it. I can just run the beginning parts until I get it and then I don't have to bat an eye to it.

I can't make myself give a single shit about hand cannons unless it's PVP where they're absurdly overpowered compared to every other weapon so I don't care for fate bringer or word of crota. And Necrochasm probably sucks shit so why care about it.

And finallyyyyy, the cherry on top: none of it matters because once House of Wolves comes out all our work that we've put it will mean nothing because you can just progress past all of this content without ever having actually done it. We'll replace most of our weapons and gear within a few days and none of it will matter.

Their handling of this game's progression is atrocious (just like most MMOs!)

I would say player skill factors in to it a degree, yes.

...Yes? This is the problem I usually face when trying to deal with coordinated groups. Most people aren't good at it. I've gone through plenty of MMOs knowing this and it takes a long time to weed out who is just bad and who is good and can actually work together.

edit: I'll reiterate and say (again) that Destiny has more bugs and issues than your standard MMO raids which are generally very polished out and smooth running (and you basically can't "cheese" due to the nature of Tank-Healer-DPS).

Of course, bugs and shit are a problem. But a lot of the time it also just comes down to people not being capable of adapting to them in the moment.

My point being, you can't blame one person because he hasn't had luck molding a decent raid team. With all of the problems this game has that's a feat in and of itself. Hell, my original raid team from VoG disbanded and was really good, but enough people got tired of the problems with Destiny in general to call it quits.

Zocano

Dude... GAF groupS.

You're talking about hardcore players that have ZERO difficulty handling anything else this games has thrown at them.

Placing the enemy level above maximum player level is really just lazy.

I don't think the groups that were beating the raid within the first few hours only did it because "they were lucky" or somehow avoided bugs that other groups didn't.

Also the enemy level thing is just another thing people should be able to adapt to. I never said it wasn't lazy or dumb or cheap but it certainly is something you can adapt to.

My point being, you can't blame one person because he hasn't had luck molding a decent raid team. With all of the problems this game has that's a feat in and of itself. Hell, my original raid team from VoG disbanded and was really good, but enough people got tired of the problems with Destiny in general to call it quits.

I can definitely agree with that. My general point (again, barring the actual dumb stupid bugs like Knights going through walls) is that people should "git gud" at a certain point. At a certain point, multiple wipes can just be a result of people being unwilling to cut off the weak links or telling them to shape the fuck up.

Omni

Well the lich bane perk on the auto rifle seems like it could be very useful. I just did the daily story with it and I didn't get hit by a wizard once :eek:

Not to toot my own horn, but the group of guys we had yesterday was solid as fuck, including myself. We are the hardcore players that have no issue running through anything... until yesterday. Hard Mode is just a wee bit too much....

Yeah. I think all of our group even had the flawless raider trophy. We are not talking about noob groups at all.

Whats burns is on the weekly?

If any..

Arc... Again.

R0ckman

I don't think the groups that were beating the raid within the first few hours only did it because "they were lucky" or somehow avoided bugs that other groups didn't.

Also the enemy level thing is just another thing people should be able to adapt to. I never said it wasn't lazy or dumb or cheap but it certainly is something you can adapt to.

It's clear they got lucky, there is an issue with sword bearing enemies and pathfinding. Most of my runs the bearer was hiding, wasting our first strike on Crota.

So the only players that should be able to finish this raid out of the 10 million that bought
the game should be the top 100?

If by adapt you mean wait for the next DLC so we can be at least in the same level as the enemies than I don't see how that's NOT complete bullshit.

LiK

just takes time to get used to but raising the levels in addition to taking away the chalice was just cheap, imo. players will be able to beat anything with enough practice but it's more of a frustrating experience than a fun one from our first attempt last night.

noomi

Absolutelly. All I said is that, right now, that strategy is the best one.
That said, I'd rather just go for 3 safe strikes at Crota instead of 4 risky ones if I had a strat for the ogres.

Truth, it is a very solid strategy I agree. Just needs to be damn near perfect, which is really hard for us to do :/

Also I think I busted your first Crota down cherry about a month ago, I remember how excited you were when we got him down. Excitement like that is what keeps me going!

Zocano

It's clear they got lucky, there is an issue with sword bearing enemies and pathfinding. Most of my runs the bearer was hiding, wasting our first strike on Crota.

I wouldn't necessarily say so. To a certain point that is something you can (and should) adjust for. I've seen several of the crota kills and there are plenty of moments where the groups simply adapted to a change (like timing being off and Crota being on one of the sides).

The fault of using the ledge "cheese" is that the swordbearer very deliberately hides from you. This is almost always the case and why you see even in the fastest kill video that they had to come to him.

So the only players that should be able to finish this raid out of the 10 million that bought
the game should be the top 100?

If by adapt you mean wait for the next DLC so we can be at least in the same level as the enemies than I don't see how that's NOT complete bullshit.

By adapt I mean be more careful and don't get hit? The enemies are spongier, that isn't going to change and nothing we can really do about it. The only alternative I can think of is level up the two easy-to-get raid weapons so you get the Hive Major damage perk on them. But it isn't an impossible task to work around.

And, yes, I think only a minority of the players should be able to beat the raid. The raid is difficult and people should be able to step up to the challenge to do so. I don't see any reason why only the best shouldn't be the ones to successfully beat the raid.

I can handle the level 34's, I can handle wizards and boomers, even ogres. But having no chalice/revives and that damn enrage thing at the end just pushes it a bit too far IMOIMOIMO

Damn Noomi, sounds like you guys were close at the end.

I'm free all day so will defo be up for hard raid Crota now or anytime...just maxed Oversoul Edict as well so wanna see how it goes

R0ckman

I wouldn't necessarily say so. To a certain point that is something you can (and should) adjust for. I've seen several of the crota kills and there are plenty of moments where the groups simply adapted to a change (like timing being off and Crota being on one of the sides).

The fault of using the ledge "cheese" is that the swordbearer very deliberately hides from you. This is almost always the case and why you see even in the fastest kill video that they had to come to him.

You're under the assumption that every time the ledge "cheese" was being used. It's a pathfinding issue. There were times we'd go both left and right and would waste time looking for him. The solution should not be to play tag with him and chase him around the map.

GlamFM

Banned
I´m sure this time tomorrow more people will have beaten him and everybody will have calmed down a little.

I´m almost certain the next group I´ll join will beat him almost effortlessly.

;)

Zocano

You're under the assumption that every time the ledge "cheese" was being used. It's a pathfinding issue. There were times we'd go both left and right and would waste time looking for him. The solution should not be to play tag with him and chase him around the map.

I'm not and I was aware of it being somewhat of a problem if you stick left or right. But, again, I think that's merely something you sort of have to adapt to. Yes, it's a problem, but in most cases, the swordbearer is pretty consistent in being on the side where the players are.

I´m sure this time tomorrow more people will have beaten him and everybody will have calmed down a little.

;)

Yah. I'm not in a rush to beat him. It's just a matter of time until people are aware of what they need to do to beat him, it just depends on how long it takes for people to learn.

TP-DK

Cant beleive they made the Crota fight even worse than it already is. Even on normal its dull and frustrating, the person that came up with the idea that only one person can damage Crota should be bitch slapped. Its just not fun shooting at a fucking shield.

Zocano

Cant beleive they made the Crota fight even worse than it already is. Even on normal its dull and frustrating, the person that came up with the idea that only one person can damage Crota should be bitch slapped. Its just not fun shooting at a fucking shield.

I think it's more of a problem that there aren't really enough roles for people.

I said it leading up to Crota's End but there really should have be more than one mechanic per raid. They need to be mixing the mechanics with each other. But they're not and it just turns everything into a shoot bang fest.

noomi

Damn Noomi, sounds like you guys were close at the end.

I'm free all day so will defo be up for hard raid Crota now or anytime...just maxed Oversoul Edict as well so wanna see how it goes

Yeah dude, we had him down to like one hit away from death a few times, but enrage caught me. Honestly, a lot of yesterdays mistakes were due to me, I was frustrated and getting tired. However, today is a new day, and I feel a lot more confident.

I will get that bitch down today, I promise.

Most of us are planning on resuming after 4PM EST when we get out of work/school...etc. If you are are around and we need more peoples I would love you have you aboard again :D

LiK

;)

People just need to come up with a strategy with their mix of classes. Sword master skill is also way more important than ever before.

Navid

Reading all these issues with the hard raid, is there any point goign in as a 31? I've not played much Destiny over the last couple of months and I still need around 40 shards to hit 32.
I would say it depends, I only got the DLC last week (managed to find it cheap(er)) and went through the HM with my group yesterday, our first run was pretty decent (I was the only lvl 31) until we got to Crota. Funny enough we came to the same middle ledge conclusion after a few goes and managed to get him down quite a bit and enrage him a few times but never at the ideal time when we could finish him off with the last 3 sword hits.

The whole Crota encounter was definitely tough but we found once we got into a rhythm our problem was mainly getting the swordbearer down in a quick fashion (only one guy in the group had Gjallarhorn) before he went and hid in a corner. So after a few more tries we instead decided to run the thing from start 2 more times on other characters, (final attempt we had 3 lvl 31s) and still got to Crota ok, though the Bridge section was a bit of a messy affair. Managed to get 3 pulse rifles and 2 auto rifles but not much in terms of armour pieces.

Overall I would say if you have a group that you are comfortable with (because there will be moments when you will simply be caught unawares and then as a 31 you will go down quick) then by all means go for it.

Anyone at Crota CP on HM and need another? (32 Warlock)

54252115.jpg

GlamFM

Banned
People just need to come up with a strategy with their mix of classes. Sword master skill is also way more important than ever before.

Yeah, as explained in the video. All it takes are 4 Gjallarhorns, one Titan bubble and somebody who is good with the sword.

If everything comes together the Ogres are a non issue since they never spawn.

LiK

Wow, Crota on HMs that bad huh. Will attempt him tomorrow, will see how it goes.

Bungie basically looked at what strategies people were using in Normal and made countermeasures. Once a general strategy has been discovered, it shouldn't be such a big deal anymore.

NastyBook

Sorry to the ppl that kept inviting me for Rads. I really do have to go to work soon.

Would love to try HM CE when I get off this afternoon, though. Those two videos make the encounter look easier than Normal mode.

Zocano

Yeah, as explained in the video. All it takes are 4 Gjallarhorns, one Titan bubble and somebody who is good with the sword.

If only Gjallarhorns were easy to come by.

Deku Tree

Well, we hit a wall at Crota. It wasn't even about Crota himself, or the Knights, or the no chalice...it's the twins that's giving us trouble. Not killing them in time since they want to dance around in the middle, instead of coming to us in the right.

Our team made a great run though. Looking forward to smashing him on Thursday.

So far, got the auto rifle, pulse rifle, and all the shards I needed to put my Hunter at 32. Crota will be the icing on the cake

We will get Crota on Thursday.
So far I got nothing but shards.
I want that Auto Rifle.

Lima

And if they do come up I like the strategy that involves going to their room and fucking them up with heavy and snipers right as they come out of the door. Like people do at the bridge part. Be super aggressive on them.

Truth, it is a very solid strategy I agree. Just needs to be damn near perfect, which is really hard for us to do :/

Also I think I busted your first Crota down cherry about a month ago, I remember how excited you were when we got him down. Excitement like that is what keeps me going!

1372404171312.png

lol Might be true. I think I got hyped because I got the helmet on my first try or something...

GMT+ 5:30

yesterday my and auto_aim were up till 4 am trying to get him :-\

No idea how I have ever played with you considering I'm GMT-3.

My buddy has that achievement. He plays like he has no thumbs. That doesn't really mean anything. Especially if it was done on normal CE.

Your friend isn't really that bad. I have a few friends that are good-ish but are still trying to do it. Pretty sure they have thumbs.

Why cant Bungie tune up Pulse Rifles?

What are those?

noomi

We will get Crota on Thursday.
So far I got nothing but shards.
I want that Auto Rifle.

Hoping the same, would love that auto rifle as well. Thankfully I have 3 characters at 32, so getting it should not be too difficult with alts.

In other news, once I collect the 4 weapons, I plan on never stepping foot in the hard mode crota raid ever again. Unless they make some significant changes to it.

ocean

Banned
My buddy has that achievement. He plays like he has no thumbs. That doesn't really mean anything. Especially if it was done on normal CE.
OK, you're badass and anyone who fails in clearing Heroic Crota is just a worse player. The rest of the game's content and achievements are irrelevant and can't measure skill at all. Keep laughing at all the plebe casuals on the board "bitching".

I'll give you another reason to pity the rest of the board's members: we need to keep reading your elitist bullshit. That should really satiate your schadenfreude.

Lol at people who think the challenge in this is legit. There's too much in the coding working against you. Even with the middle strat, if the sword bearer does not come out directly into the middle immediately, you may as well wipe. Most of the time the sword bearer is hiding.
Did you guys get to run it last night? If so, how did you fare?

I'm sorry I couldn't make it. I was too tired already and with having to get up even earlier than normal for work, I knew it was going to be the best decision for me to go to bed early. And I crashed shortly after NuTr1x sent the group message about Wrath. :p

Yeah dude, we had him down to like one hit away from death a few times, but enrage caught me. Honestly, a lot of yesterdays mistakes were due to me, I was frustrated and getting tired. However, today is a new day, and I feel a lot more confident.

I will get that bitch down today, I promise.

Most of us are planning on resuming after 4PM EST when we get out of work/school...etc. If you are are around and we need more peoples I would love you have you aboard again :D

Yep count me in for that...don't worry the sword holder has all the pressure with the middle ledge strat

Lima

OK, you're badass and anyone who fails in clearing Heroic Crota is just a worse player. The rest of the game's content and achievements are irrelevant and can't measure skill at all. Keep laughing at all the laughing plebe casuals on the board "bitching".

I'll give you another reason to pity the rest of the board's members: we need to keep reading your elitist bullshit. That should really satiate your schadenfreude.

Look I'm not here to talk shit on people. But if you are stuck for 6-10 hours on Crota then there is something wrong with your group. And no it's not only bugs. You have weak links in the team. Accept it and eliminate them or go back to normal. I'm watching Streamerhouse right now. They have been at it with this group for like 5 hours now they just said. I think at that point you should accept that it just isn't going to happen with that group.

noomi

Forgot to ask this earlier, does anyone know....

If Crota drops exotic loot on hard even after completing normal or do you just get one exotic roll regardless of which mode you do...

Look I'm not here to talk shit on people. But if you are stuck for 6-10 hours on Crota then there is something wrong with your group. And no it's not only bugs. You have weak links in the team. Accept it and eliminate them or go back to normal. I'm watching Streamerhouse right now. They have been at it with this group for like 5 hours now they just said. I think at that point you should accept that it just isn't going to happen with that group.

It's funny you have not once provided strategies. Just vague comments on team skill.

Top Bottom