• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT15| What Cheese May Come

Less than 600 rep to Eris rank 4 and I get a gold star, er, can get to level 32.

Question: Should I level my raid helm or gauntlets first to get to 32. Or rather, what Exotic would be better to have for the raid? Either Don't Touch Me or the Symbiote/Third Man combo. I am leaning to use Don't Touch Me. Any opinions?

I will probably lelevel it all eventually but would rather funnel extra mats to my alt firdt.

Level whatever you use most to get you to level 32. In my case it is the Third Man & the rest is raid gear. I really only use the dont touch me / raid helmet combo for the first part of the raid.

noomi

After months of not getting my Gjallarhorn I started to think the same way... After I got my Gjallarhorn I changed my mind.
Ghorn doesn't have a hype train, it's the hype itself. It's a GOD weapon, all exotics are nothing now.

Haha so true, after seeing everyone around me getting it, I started saying "Meh.... screw that thing anyway, Hunger of Crota is awesome enough... plus I don't use up a exotic slot"

Then RNG blessed me with the yolohorn, and now it's always equipped. Makes everything so much easier. Those wolfpack rounds are nothing to mess with.

phen0m24

My fiancé finally complained last night to me.

She said that ever since I got this game, I don't pay attention to her anymore, I don't go to bed at the same time with her anymore. I felt really bad and guilty last night.

tonight I will take her out to dinner, give her some much needed attention. Then when she falls asleep, I will be back to the grind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As a divorced single dad I will urge caution. Please. Caution. The game won't go anywhere. If you really love her you keep them how you got them. Fyi. :)

Stupid question maybe... but what REALLY is so good about Gjallarhorn? I have a Hezen Vengeance and it kills most people dead.. and my Super Good Advice also tears pretty much everything to pieces and makes quick work of bosses..

I usually prefer Legendaries in the Heavy slot because I have so many Primary/Special exotics that I like using.. Suros, Mythoclast, Icebreaker, Patience and Time, The Last Word etc.. is Ghorn really so much better than those guns, which have all had similar hype-trains?

lol oh man, and here I thought we could never have the GHorn vs. Hezen Crapface debate again!

The second unique perk for GHorn (Wolfpack Rounds) only exists for GHorn and is completely broken. It produces clusters similar to other launchers (like HV) except it makes a ton of them and they all track onto their target whereas other clusters just crap out onto the ground around where the rocket hit and don't do anywhere near as much damage. HV is especially bad because it doesn't even have tracking on the rocket itself, whereas Hunger of Crota is a more reasonable Legendary substitute.

GHorn is the king of DPS, only Black Hammer can come close and only on enemies with crit spots that can be reliably hit many times.

My fiancé finally complained last night to me.

She said that ever since I got this game, I don't pay attention to her anymore, I don't go to bed at the same time with her anymore. I felt really bad and guilty last night.

tonight I will take her out to dinner, give her some much needed attention. Then when she falls asleep, I will be back to the grind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah man make a genuine effort. She ain't stupid

That's if you care about her

Born2Live

Yep, damage isn't the greatest, but you move so fast. The agility upgrade + Multi-Tool makes you run almost as fast as sprint without the gun.

I made a post just yesterday saying how it's the game's best scout rifle and severely underrated. I use it often.

Awesome, looking forward to getting it maxed out. It may come be handy for the lamps section once hard mode Crota releases.

Interms of Gjallarhorn I was surprised how much damage it dealt to Sepkis in the Nightfall 5 rockets and it was down, now imagine what it would have been with solar burn!

Frenden

Banned
I want a trophy room in the tower that displays all my Raid Gear that has gotten obsolete over time.

Like in Assassins Creed. Would also have me playing the Raids over and over again until I have everything.

Annnnd it would also free up my inventory.

Bungie, get working on it now - unless it´s already on the disc and you just want 20 bucks to unlock it.

david-alvarez-acu-env-villa-trophyroom.jpg

I didn't shard my hard mode VoG helm or set of Hunter Iron Banner gear (I had the chest from the first Iron Banner before they revamped it and am only missing the helm) for just this reason. I'm not hopeful it will happen though.

Frenden

Banned
As a divorced single dad I will urge caution. Please. Caution. The game won't go anywhere. If you really love her you keep them how you got them. Fyi. :)

As a dude who's been married to an extremely patient woman for eighteen years, I'd double up on this advice. Games come and go, but a good relationship is hard to find and harder to keep!

pringles

wolfpack rounds, its unique perk, cause it to do the most damage to a single target of any weapon. there's really no more to it. Compared to Super Good Advice in particular, you may not yet have seen what "quick work" looks like.
One gjallarhorn rocket w/ clusters does probably the same damage as 2 (or more) of your hezens. It's ridic. And it tracks (both rockets and cluster bombs)
After months of not getting my Gjallarhorn I started to think the same way... After I got my Gjallarhorn I changed my mind.
Ghorn doesn't have a hype train, it's the hype itself. It's a GOD weapon, all exotics are nothing now.
Tracking and Wolfpack rounds. Trust us...the hypehorn is real.

Also, Wolfpacks track enemies as well. Cluster bombs are very inconsistent.

Ditto to what everyone else said.

It is the DPS king, and there isn't a close second. It is so OP, that it will still out DPS every arc and void weapon with their burn modifier active. Whenever there is a Solar burn. RIP strike boss. Sub 5 minutes is not unrealistic.

lol oh man, and here I thought we could never have the GHorn vs. Hezen Crapface debate again!

The second unique perk for GHorn (Wolfpack Rounds) only exists for GHorn and is completely broken. It produces clusters similar to other launchers (like HV) except it makes a ton of them and they all track onto their target whereas other clusters just crap out onto the ground around where the rocket hit and don't do anywhere near as much damage. HV is especially bad because it doesn't even have tracking on the rocket itself, whereas Hunger of Crota is a more reasonable Legendary substitute.

GHorn is the king of DPS, only Black Hammer can come close and only on enemies with crit spots that can be reliably hit many times.
Well I guess that's that. Time to cry myself to sleep over not having a Ghorn :lol
Maybe Xur will save us Horn-less bastards.

As for Hezen Vengeance, that's just my comparable because I have shit-luck when it comes to heavy drops. Haven't gotten a new Legendary/Exotic since The Dark Below hit, so HV at 300dmg is still my best RL. Meanwhile I barely have room in my Primary and Special inventory for anymore good weapons.

E92 M3

Well I guess that's that. Time to cry myself to sleep over not having a Ghorn :lol

As for Hezen Vengeance, that's just my comparable because I have shit-luck when it comes to heavy drops. Haven't gotten a new Legendary/Exotic since The Dark Below hit, so HV at 300dmg is still my best RL. Meanwhile I barely have room in my Primary and Special inventory for anymore good weapons.

Hunger of Crota is a beautiful launcher. You should try to get that one.

Less than 600 rep to Eris rank 4 and I get a gold star, er, can get to level 32.

Question: Should I level my raid helm or gauntlets first to get to 32. Or rather, what Exotic would be better to have for the raid? Either Don't Touch Me or the Symbiote/Third Man combo. I am leaning to use Don't Touch Me. Any opinions?

I will probably lelevel it all eventually but would rather funnel extra mats to my alt firdt.
I use Symbiote for my level 32 build but start the raid with the Don't Touch Mes on. They are only really useful for the lamps, where the enemies are level 30. For the hard raid, however, maybe you should go with the Don't Touch Mes if you only want to have one path to 32 on this character.

lol GHorn is a very sensitive subject around here.

Xur will never sell it again. Bungie had no idea how broken/OP it was for PvE until after it was released into the wild. Now it is the Golden Uni-Horn, to keep people playing and chasing after its majesty.

As a dude who's been married to an extremely patient woman for eighteen years, I'd double up on this advice. Games come and go, but a good relationship is hard to find and harder to keep!
Married for almost 10 years, you gotta make time for your special lady friend. She is your true Destiny, never forget.

patchday

Ha bro I just don't know if I want to praise the Ballerhorn just yet. To me it only seems good for dealing with end strike/raid bosses. People talk about it as if they always run around with it but I think it is similar to IB. I normally run around with Hawkmoon since I use my primary weapon the most. But if I'm in a situation where I need high hitting unlimited shots for an enemy that moves around a lot I would switch to IB. So I imagine I would do the same if I ever get blessed with Ballerhorn. Only when I want to take down a boss fast would I pop it on and use it, run out of ammo and then switch back to Hawkmoon.

Nah I always pack Ballerhorn. There is an ammo penalty if you were to switch it out. I equip raid armor that gives +heavy ammo. This way I have at least 7 shots to make short work of bosses. I used to always spend my glimmer on heavy ammo packs too. I hate Bungie for making Glimmer such a main part of the game now. I loved the old way where I could dump all my glimmer into ammo packs.

I'm gonna stop typing write now before I go into a rant yo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's because OT21 was named something different, Halo |Anniversary| or something. So when the next thread was made, the OP made a mistake in numbering it 21.

While the destiny threads are catching up, and they certainly move a lot faster than the current halo threads, the actual actual number of threads isn't as close as you think. The current numbered halo community threads started sometime during Reach's lifetime, I don't remember when. As far as I know, there are plenty more before that for Reach, Halo 3, and starting with Halo 2. And many of these were before the 20,000 post limit per OT was imposed. So there are some real mega-threads.

You'd be better off going into the Halo OT and asking there, though, as someone who actually knows about this can give you some full, accurate information as to how many community threads there have been. Ghaleon in here may even know.

The destiny threads will surely pass that number eventually, but not as soon as it seems.
Interesting, I think you must mean 20- but thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

OT19 looks like it linked to HaloGAF |OT:Anniversary| which then links to Halo |OT20|. So they were behind an OT number for 20 and 21, and they skipped 22 altogether to get back on track.

As far as the rest of what you posted... we don't really have to get into it, but just examining the two active OT communities (the ones still currently iterating) really is the most fair and equitable comparison I was able to come up with after quite a bit of research. After all, in theory a direct comparison between the two isn't adequate (skewed against Destiny) just because the Halo ones span multiple games, while what we are in now is the 15th Destiny (1) OT. It's fascinating to me and blows my mind that they're anywhere close to one another, but not an actually "fair" comparison anyway. It'd be considerably less legitimate a comparison to add up every individual game's OT's on top of the current ones and call that Halo OT# vs. Destiny's OT15. Meanwhile (though I can't find Halo 3's for whatever forum-related reason), Reach itself had 7 OTs, Halo 4 had 2, Master Chief Collection still on its 2nd. So making a direct individual game-to-game comparison just wasn't that interesting.

I don't want to mislead anyone at all or try to fudge numbers. If you were to add up every "any-Halo-game"-themed thread there would be WAAAAAAAAAAY, way more threads than 15, and it's pretty fair to imagine that Destiny may never catch up in that sense. Just pointing out why I originally looked at the two active subcommunities to compare, since nothing else comes close.

If she's waited this long to say anything then she seems cool. Don't take her for granted.

I mean for 4 months now I have put in 600 hours into Destiny. That's an absurd amount of time. I really do need to reign it in a little. She is extremely cool, so when she says something like that, I guess I need to listen. I thought about calling in sick today just to play.

I mean for 4 months now I have put in 600 hours into Destiny. That's an absurd amount of time. I really do need to reign it in a little. She is extremely cool, so when she says something like that, I guess I need to listen.

Yes. You should listen and not take her out just to shut her up.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I won't even raid with anyone if they don't have a ghorn. Before a raid starts, I make everyone equip it so that I know we are operating at maximum effectiveness.

I use Symbiote for my level 32 build but start the raid with the Don't Touch Mes on. They are only really useful for the lamps, where the enemies are level 30. For the hard raid, however, maybe you should go with the Don't Touch Mes if you only want to have one path to 32 on this character.

Ya, I am kinda doing it with Hard mode in mind. I think DTM will still be useful in the later stages as well. At the cost of one less GG bullet, I think it is worth it. I will upgrade the rest eventually, just would rather focus on upgrading an alt first.

phen0m24

I do man were getting married.

Married for almost 10 years, you gotta make time for your special lady friend. She is your true Destiny, never forget.

Following up on what I said before, just for clarity, and thank you guys for the affirmations.

I heard someone say once: "How you get them is how you keep them."

So if you date, spend time, go out, read together, watch shows together, talk about things - once you get married and you change negatively - those things above start dropping off? Trouble is brewing.

I used to think "Oh well I'm sitting in the living room, she's watching CSI, I'm playing Battlefield. We're together." Yeah. No. Please learn from my mistakes.

When you hear "I didn't marry you to look at the back of your head" you're doing it wrong.

There's a saying "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." Not true. Absence makes the heart look elsewhere.

Be very very careful. Please. Your wife will take care of you, your kids, your home, as you grow old together. Us gamer goofballs will move on when the new hotness comes out. Don't let that be your marriage. Water it, cultivate it, and take care of it and it will blossom.

[/end of divorced dad PSA advice rant]

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I mean for 4 months now I have put in 600 hours into Destiny. That's an absurd amount of time. I really do need to reign it in a little. She is extremely cool, so when she says something like that, I guess I need to listen. I thought about calling in sick today just to play.

Do what I do with my better half. We had a talk and I told her, Tuesday is forever known as "Destiny Tuesday". Every other day of my life is hers. Except Tuesday. Last week she wanted to do something on a Tuesday and my only reply was "What day is today?" She replied, "Right, right. I forgot. Destiny Tuesday. Okay, then tomorrow." Have set aside designated play times helps a lot.

That said, she is traveling for work for the next 2 weeks... sweet. I mean, that sucks, will miss her, etc etc :p

hydruxo

At this point I don't want Xur to have Ghorn, I'd rather get it from a drop now that I've waited 4 months to get it. Plus, PVE would be so ridiculously boring if every single person had one.

Wow, that's a lot. I have a little over 200 hours and my wife thinks I am obsessed. Just make sure to have balance and deliberately choose her in some activities over gaming when you could play, it goes a long way.

I relegate most of my play time after everyone is in bed at the expense of sleep. Probably not healthy, but it works.

Stupid question maybe... but what REALLY is so good about Gjallarhorn? I have a Hezen Vengeance and it kills most people dead.. and my Super Good Advice also tears pretty much everything to pieces and makes quick work of bosses..

I usually prefer Legendaries in the Heavy slot because I have so many Primary/Special exotics that I like using.. Suros, Mythoclast, Icebreaker, Patience and Time, The Last Word etc.. is Ghorn really so much better than those guns, which have all had similar hype-trains?

When you use one you will understand. We were killing Gorgons on hard mode for fun the other day. We killed 5 of them and the only reason we stopped is cause we ran out of ammo. We could have killed evey gorgon in the labyrinth without any effort. If you've ever tried to kill a gorgon you'll understand.

With that said its not like you can't enjoy the game if you don't have one

I should post the video

Top Bottom