• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT16| Enrage is here, there, everywhere...

wait, so if you did it on normal you won't get weapon drops on Hard?

I think you still can, I just didn't. I did get the helm to drop again. It is Int instead of my current Str helm so that will be good to replace, but at this point the Scout or HC is the only thing desired from Crota.

realcZk

Thralls spawn in the crystal room behind you and can hit you through the shield. Going to either left or right might have been a better option yeah.

Yep, they can definitely kill you through the glass, but as long as you are standing out far enough on the ledge you shouldn't be able to take damage from them. Just keep some space between yourself and the glass at all times during the last sword phase and you should be golden.

EL CUCO

Question about HM Crota: In yesterday's run, someone from the team suggested to jump down from the ledge when Crota enrages. I had serious audio issues, so I might have misheard that. And I wasn't able to understand the explanation at all, as the audio kept cutting out.
However, when he enraged, two or three others indeed jumped down and were promptly killed by the Gatekeeper. I stayed on the ledge and kept shooting Crota, but it was too late. We were killed by the Oversoul.

What was that about? What possible reason could there be to leave the ledge?
I couldn't ask them afterwards either, as I was in a real hurry and had to leave.
Maybe they were trying to prevent from losing their supers?

Edit: Ahh misunderstood. thralls I guess.

If you end up trying again tonight let me know because I'd totally be down. We were real close yesterday.

What's your PSN Bogue?

PSN is DrDrizzay101. As long as the lag isn't horrific his ass will be ended no problem. Dumb shit like sword disappearing glitch might wipe a run or two but otherwise no worries.

Was thhiiisss close to carrying a Crota team this morning consisting of 2 Lv32s, 3 Lv31s and a Lv30. Damage scaling wasn't even the problem, a few of my non-gaf friends are just terrible at following/understanding instructions. I think they were falling asleep in their chairs but didn't want to admit it, ha.

Shout out to Gaffer oSoLucky aka KC for being the only one actual engaged and trying to help me carry those mute mofo's. Nothing worse for raiding than quiet mics.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Question about HM Crota: In yesterday's run, someone from the team suggested to jump down from the ledge when Crota enrages. I had serious audio issues, so I might have misheard that. And I wasn't able to understand the explanation at all, as the audio kept cutting out.
However, when he enraged, two or three others indeed jumped down and were promptly killed by the Gatekeeper. I stayed on the ledge and kept shooting Crota, but it was too late. We were killed by the Oversoul.

I couldn't ask them afterwards either, as I was in a real hurry and had to leave.

Thralls spawn behind you. I honestly don't think dropping down is a good option, and I wiped a few times on the oversoul when groups were told to drop down and then they promptly died. Some people move to the side a bit, but I just fire one rocket normally then jump and fire another.

even staggering them no longer takes away their attention from the Sword Master from my HM runs.

I have noticed that only the side the SC goes to will boomers even notice so we ignore the other side. We have 1 person on permanent boomer duty so as sword carrier goes up we engage the one near side boomer in continuous stunlock. The other boomer usually ignores, but if they do pay attention, 1 shot was usually enough to get them off.

Namikaze1

And now my sole afternoon class today got canceled due to weather. Well, more like my college decided that it will close at noon. More Destiny for me. :)

oSoLucky

PSN is DrDrizzay101. As long as the lag isn't horrific his ass will be ended no problem. Dumb shit like sword disappearing glitch might wipe a run or two but otherwise no worries.

Was thhiiisss close to carrying a Crota team this morning consisting of 2 Lv32s, 3 Lv31s and a Lv30. Damage scaling wasn't even the problem, a few of my non-gaf friends are just terrible at following/understanding instructions. I think they were falling asleep in their chairs but didn't want to admit it, ha.

Shout out to Gaffer oSoLucky aka KC for being the only one actual engaged and trying to help me carry those mute mofo's. Nothing worse for raiding than quiet mics.

Still funny, that at one point we were 1 sword from killing him with that group lol.

rNilla

Consensus is that no CE weapon is remotelly as relevant as VoG weapons were.

I disagree. Fang is great. Word of Crota seems fine too. I don't have Abyss Defiant yet but it sounds useful as well. They will be great for burns and running CE just as VoG weapons are/were great for burns and running VoG.

Firefly + Outlaw can't be replaced but Auto Jam is overrated.

Everything is better than Atheon's Epilogue unless you're shooting Oracles.

When Crota enrages the Crystal room gets filled with thralls.

In another amazing glitch brought to you by Bungie, they can hit you through the glass and kill you before you have time to DPS crota. So either you have to jump down (the gatekeeper is usually deep in the room so it should be safe), or stand in the very edge of the window ledge so you don't get hit.

Another option is to jump on the 2 collums that are just ahead of the ledge.

lunlunqq

And now my sole afternoon class today got cancelled dueto weather. Well, more like my college decided that it will close at noon. More Destiny for me. :)

I'm watching my university's website to see if they will do that, too. Although cancelling the classes this afternoon will put me in some troubles. I will have to make them up somehow later this semester... :(

LTWood12

Fantastic. yeah we all had maximum connection last night, so that won't be a problem. i'm planning on giving it a go a little after 8 Central (9 Eastern)

Lnkn52

I have seen this a few times and although I possess no way to be sure, I think you are on the money.

I didn't clear normal last week and received no primary from Crota, just a helm, the Glowhoo shader and some shards. Well the whole team that cleared it that day did not receive any primaries.

Re: Crota's health enrage during final shield break and thralls spawning in crystal room

(1) Stand far forward on the ledge in front of the window like real byte said. Only possible risk is that you slip off the edge. Shouldn't matter much as long as you can get your rockets there.

Had more than a few sword kills where between 2-4 teammates died during this enrage, but they got the shield break so it didn't matter.

(2) You don't have to stand on the ledge in front of the window at all. Stand on the platform at either side of the ledge, just make sure to stay far enough back and the Boomers + Crota won't aggro on you.

In a couple hours, would anyone be willing to sneak my 31 warlock through hard mode abyss? I just need like 3 or 4 more mats to make it to 32 on an alt.

new avatar, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Ahaha, yeah I know who exactly you're talking about. I did a Nightfall with them, Sepiks, and they didn't understand they were making a Fallen Captain and Sword Vandals spawn by cowering in the doorway where you run in. "No, I don't think so!" I'm like "Dude, I've done this 3 times without seeing them ever show up, and I've never been there, and you fools keep dying!" They're practically by the Devil Walker spawn, hiding.

Still funny, that at one point we were 1 sword from killing him with that group lol.

Seriously dude, I wanted to finish that carry so bad but they were heavy as fuck.

They live in Texas and Cali so pretty sure it was a very late night for them vs. an early morning for us. I've played with them plenty and they are usually much livelier, ha.

Seep

ADS can influence their movement, but it doesn't control it. They are wild and crazy guys.

If it is a serious problem everyone can just stay up on the doors like in the bottom right tower vs. ogres. Also, it's a good opportunity for building team communication: I'm facing the right side so hopefully I can trust my teammate to call out if a knight is charging from the left side.

We were dealing pretty well with a single knight calling out and stuff but sometimes a second knight would sneak in kill someone then it's wipe try again and wait for supers to build.

Hopefully a patch is in the works. Lol.

hitlerat

I spent all my gaming time last night with a good team on my first HM Crota try and didn't get him down. We used the proven strategy, used the heavy ammo trick, generated a lot orbs in the beginning. We did everything but we still got screwed by problems/glitches such as swordbearer hidding away from us, sword disappearing on drop, crota magically seeing the invisible sword holder, etc... Some of these happened when we got Crota down to just one swing away from death... Just one more hit and the sword disappeared...

While I ain't even mad because the team really have done everything right, I can see why people hate this fight this much.

Now the problem is shall I try this again tonight? Or just do 3 quick Atheon runs to try to get some exotics.

hahaha
We have the same problems yesterday with gdt and Dhruv party... About 50% of tries the sword despawn, other 20% glitchs and lag...
And when all worked fine, one hit from death ... The fucked sword disappeared... wtf....

Dave_6

Any groups doing the following this evening after 7pm Eastern?

- HM VoG (Oracles -> Atheon)
- Normal CE (whole thing)
- HM CE and wouldn't mind a dragging a 31 titan with maxed IB and Horn through it (whatever portion of it we can do)

PSN Berried_treasurE

I'm up for any one of these. My Hunter is a 31 again so not sure if I could do HM CE though. Do have maxed LDR, Horn and IB.

Though I don't get off work this week until 6 pm CST.

KeRaSh

Probably true, I have both but they're un-leveled so I haven't used the perks hands on.

The problem is comparing the weapon classes themselves ever since ARs were nerfed and SRs were buffed. HCs are my PvP go-to but I'd pick ARs over SRs on most maps if forced to choose. For PvE, ARs are just too weak and don't mesh well with many PvE activities (similar to shotties vs. snipers/FRs).

I never managed to get a VoC to drop but I understood the appeal. This time around I'm nit even going to try to get the Fang. I'm more of a AR guy anyways so I'll stick with the Abyss anyways. I was just wondering why people were so crazy about the Fang. I'm aware of the buffs and nerfs of the weapon classes but if that's it then there are better other legendary SRs available already.

Namikaze1

I'm watching my university's website to see if they will do that, too. Although cancelling the classes this afternoon will put me in some troubles. I will have to make them up somehow later this semester... :(
I was getting my shit prepared when I decided to check twitter. My college's twitter account posted a link to the announcement. I immediately took off my towel and threw myself on my bed. I haven't got up since then.

oSoLucky

In a couple hours, would anyone be willing to sneak my 31 warlock through hard mode abyss? I just need like 3 or 4 more mats to make it to 32 on an alt.

new avatar, big whoop, wanna fight about it?

If I'm on I will take you through with my Titan. PSN is KC_darkness, just hit me up whenever you're ready.

I wonder though... if they made the CE weapons have the exact same perks as the VoG weapons of the same type, would people be more or less disappointed?

Disappointed. They need to try new stuff. It just didnt work imo.

Sniper and rocket launcher are better, at least.

Yeah I agree. Specially regarding Black Hammer.

I disagree. Fang is great. Word of Crota seems fine too. I don't have Abyss Defiant yet but it sounds useful as well. They will be great for burns and running CE just as VoG weapons are/were great for burns and running VoG.

Firefly + Outlaw can't be replaced but Auto Jam is overrated.

Everything is better than Atheon's Epilogue unless you're shooting Oracles.

I meant relevant for the game as a whole not just in their specific raid.

Ppl use fatebringer and VoC everywhere. I don't see the same happening to these new guns.

Edit: At least I can retire the Epilogua.

Ahaha, yeah I know who exactly you're talking about. I did a Nightfall with them, Sepiks, and they didn't understand they were making a Fallen Captain and Sword Vandals spawn by cowering in the doorway where you run in. "No, I don't think so!" I'm like "Dude, I've done this 3 times without seeing them ever show up, and I've never been there, and you fools keep dying!" They're practically by the Devil Walker spawn, hiding.

I always feel guilty pawning off some of them onto you fine folks. I just keep my fingers crossed that they won't do something ridiculous on the mic and/or in the game, haha. Usually disappointed :p

In all seriousness they are good people and fun to play with... it's definitely a good thing that very few people take this shit as seriously as I do.

So, has anyone seen a raid special/heavy weapon drop in hardmode CE yet? I've done it 3 times and have not seen them at any checkpoint. Wondering if they will be normal mode only, or if they will eventually be added into HM.

Nope. Only primaries in HM for me so far. I think I've done everything except Crota on my Warlock (because he's 30) and my Hunter.

I'd like to handle Crota one more time tonight on my Hunter to see if I can get the HC. It's the only thing I'm missing.

Are you on for reset stuff tomorrow night? I'm actually looking forward to it for some odd reason. I still say that 2 week break I took for the holidays was a godsend in terms of my burnout for this game. I can tell you're starting to get a little burnt out.

Ambitious

Thralls spawn in the crystal room behind you and can hit you through the shield. Going to either left or right might have been a better option yeah.

thrall can melee you from behind up top during enrage (and other random times,when they shouldn't).

Maybe they were trying to prevent from losing their supers?

Edit: Ahh misunderstood. thralls I guess.

Thralls spawn behind you. I honestly don't think dropping down is a good option, and I wiped a few times on the oversoul when groups were told to drop down and then they promptly died. Some people move to the side a bit, but I just fire one rocket normally then jump and fire another.

When Crota enrages the Crystal room gets filled with thralls.

In another amazing glitch brought to you by Bungie, they can hit you through the glass and kill you before you have time to DPS crota. So either you have to jump down (the gatekeeper is usually deep in the room so it should be safe), or stand in the very edge of the window ledge so you don't get hit.

Another option is to jump on the 2 collums that are just ahead of the ledge.

Ooooh. I didn't know that. I completed HM Crota only once, and in my attempts with my other character we made it to Enrage only twice or so. Thanks for the replies.

LiK

I always feel guilty pawning off some of them onto you fine folks. I just keep my fingers crossed that they won't do something ridiculous on the mic and/or in the game, haha. Usually disappointed :p

In all seriousness they are good people and fun to play with... it's definitely a good thing that very few people take this shit as seriously as I do.

when it comes to NF, I can't allow people to mess around. dying there is a massive waste of time.

WipedOut

Ppl use fatebringer and VoC everywhere. I don't see the same happening to these new guns.

I have everything except for Word and just fully leveled my Fang, still working on defiant. So far I would say Fang is on Par with VOC if not better.

I think if the Fang was full.semi auto then it might be OP, maybe that is why they excluded it. The thing packs some punch.

Qwell

I spent all my gaming time last night with a good team on my first HM Crota try and didn't get him down. We used the proven strategy, used the heavy ammo trick, generated a lot orbs in the beginning. We did everything but we still got screwed by problems/glitches such as swordbearer hidding away from us, sword disappearing on drop, crota magically seeing the invisible sword holder, etc... Some of these happened when we got Crota down to just one swing away from death... Just one more hit and the sword disappeared...

While I ain't even mad because the team really have done everything right, I can see why people hate this fight this much.

Now the problem is shall I try this again tonight? Or just do 3 quick Atheon runs to try to get some exotics.
I was reading Luke's post again, and after having multiple attempts at HM Crota and only downing him once, I feel like he isn't really telling me what I want to hear. For the most part I was happy with how they had the economy work. I didn't even mind having to relevel my exotics, I have already re-leveled everything that needed to be done... have been done for a while. But I would really love to hear their thoughts on Crota HM and how they think it has turned out.

What you talk about above is like all the attempts I had over the weekend. With Atheon HM I felt like you had some breathing room. You could lose 1 or 2 people, you could have a bad run where you missed a times vengeance and you could still pull off a kill. With Crota HM EVERYTHING has to work, and so much can go wrong. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I don't think the raid is done on dedicated / instanced servers. I think they pick a host and 1 of the 6 fireteam members is the host which can mess with the timing on malformed or otherwise bad packets and stuff (just my guess as a semi network person, don't shoot me if I'm wrong). It kind of makes sense, sort of like the old trick where if the host pulled the plug Crota would stay down... if the raid (and only raids, don't care about strikes) were on dedicated servers those servers could guarantee timing, and I think it would help players experience.

The timing windows in Crota HM are too perfect, and if you are even 1 second off you are done, maybe our teams just sucked... but on Saturday we had 2 runs where we had 18 hits, Crota had zero visible life but was still alive. I can't count how many times the sword disappeared, or he stood up too soon, or his shields didn't go down, or they did but we didn't know it because he didn't do the kneeling animation. And if 1 person died it was pretty much a wipe, we wouldn't have enough DPS to take his shield down and still manage the boomers.

Sorry for the long post, I would just like to hear their thoughts on if they think HM Crota was a success, and if they are planning more encounters with this exacting timing for execution with no room for error, because personally I like stuff that is difficult, but I feel like you have a little leeway to make an error, pivot, and still come out on top. Right now HM Crota doesn't feel like that.

noomi

I think the only reason people are saying the word of crota is bad, is that it just isn't as good as the fatebringer. Now this doesn't make the word of crota a bad handcannon by any means, I still think it's a great option.

But fatebringer is really an amazing weapon overall. I always thought it was more of an exotic in disguise anyway.

oSoLucky

Fang is strictly outclassed by the vendor SRs IMO, except for Arc damage and Hive Disruptor. Regardless, those 2 attributes still make it useful for a good amount of content in the game, and I'm fine with having to carry a more diverse loadout for different situations.

Call me crazy also, but Oversoul Edict is the best feeling Pulse Rifle that I've used so far and I have been having a lot of fun with it(going for the grimoire since I never use the peasant guns).

LTWood12

I'm up for any one of these. My Hunter is a 31 again so not sure if I could do HM CE though. Do have maxed LDR, Horn and IB.

Though I don't get off work this week until 6 pm CST.

me, Bogue, and Benicillin are running Crota a little after 8 CST tonight. you're welcome to join.

Atkison04

Pfft. It took 6 hours pre-Darkness. Once I showed up, he went down hard and fast.

Nah it was probably just that we all had green bars.

You were a breath of fresh air for sure man. The rest of us were getting very burned out. I just couldn't stomach quitting after all them hours put into it. I did really like the more aggressive strat that we used after the ogres on that last run. So much could have went wrong but it all fell in place, finally!

I would rate you "would raid with again" out of ten bro!

realcZk

Nope. Only primaries in HM for me so far. I think I've done everything except Crota on my Warlock (because he's 30) and my Hunter.

I'd like to handle Crota one more time tonight on my Hunter to see if I can get the HC. It's the only thing I'm missing.

Are you on for reset stuff tomorrow night? I'm actually looking forward to it for some odd reason. I still say that 2 week break I took for the holidays was a godsend in terms of my burnout for this game. I can tell you're starting to get a little burnt out.

yep i should be around tuesday, but probably an hour later than usual

LTWood12

I was reading Luke's post again, and after having multiple attempts at HM Crota and only downing him once, I feel like he isn't really telling me what I want to hear. For the most part I was happy with how they had the economy work. I didn't even mind having to relevel my exotics, I have already re-leveled everything that needed to be done... have been done for a while. But I would really love to hear their thoughts on Crota HM and how they think it has turned out.

What you talk about above is like all the attempts I had over the weekend. With Atheon HM I felt like you had some breathing room. You could lose 1 or 2 people, you could have a bad run where you missed a times vengeance and you could still pull off a kill. With Crota HM EVERYTHING has to work, and so much can go wrong. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I don't think the raid is done on dedicated / instanced servers. I think they pick a host and 1 of the 6 fireteam members is the host which can mess with the timing on malformed or otherwise bad packets and stuff (just my guess as a semi network person, don't shoot me if I'm wrong). It kind of makes sense, sort of like the old trick where if the host pulled the plug Crota would stay down... if the raid (and only raids, don't care about strikes) were on dedicated servers those servers could guarantee timing, and I think it would help players experience.

The timing windows in Crota HM are too perfect, and if you are even 1 second off you are done, maybe our teams just sucked... but on Saturday we had 2 runs where we had 18 hits, Crota had zero visible life but was still alive. I can't count how many times the sword disappeared, or he stood up too soon, or his shields didn't go down, or they did but we didn't know it because he didn't do the kneeling animation. And if 1 person died it was pretty much a wipe, we wouldn't have enough DPS to take his shield down and still manage the boomers.

Sorry for the long post, I would just like to hear their thoughts on if they think HM Crota was a success, and if they are planning more encounters with this exacting timing for execution with no room for error, because personally I like stuff that is difficult, but I feel like you have a little leeway to make an error, pivot, and still come out on top. Right now HM Crota doesn't feel like that.

Spot on. There are just too many variables out of the fireteam's control. The Swordbearer running and hiding being one of the biggest. i'll be interested to see if they lower it to 32 because of the backlash. Really enjoyed playing w/ you last night Qwell.

rNilla

I think the only reason people are saying the word of crota is bad, is that it just isn't as good as the fatebringer. Now this doesn't make the word of crota a bad handcannon by any means, I still think it's a great option.

Exactly. I also think it's because the perks on WoC and Fang are kind of lame. Third Eye isn't very exciting and neither is Phantom Gift.

Top Bottom