• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT16| Enrage is here, there, everywhere...

Homeboyd

Yeah our first two raids we did it on the first try. It's not hard, and shouldn't be hard, but we couldn't get a team to execute last night.

The social aspect of Destiny is what has kept me playing, I love playing with random GAF. I don't want to become selective with who I play with, but it's what this raid requires, and unfortunately all the other content has become stale.
There are some nights where I get that sudden "why am I subjecting myself to this" feeling and others where it's a ton of fun, everything goes flawlessly, and get great loot drops.

Rollercoaster ride for sure. For me, the good days outweigh the bad by a lot.

Has everyone given up on HM crota outside of established groups?

I killed him three times last week in a LFG pug and once this week and have decided to stop, its a massive investment of time for something which I have no idea why I am doing it. I'd rather just play another game now to be honest, and fortunately Dying Light and Saints Row 4 both are on my system raring to go.

I still enjoy doing the nightfall every week and am getting all my characters close to max marks, close to their next level on rep (http://destinyrep.com is awesome for this), getting 10 bounties completed but not turned in, etc so I am ready for the next xpac. But until they fix the crota bugs I just don't see the point in spending 30-120 minutes on him on every character for a chance at a gun I will not actually use. I can just waltz back in when I am 33 or 34 and probably solo the damn thing.

well, you are the greyblade!

the window strat is easy and actually easier than the established normal left strategy. as long as no one goes meandering off to the left or right to draw the swordbearers attention away from the middle.
and crota doesnt behave like an asshole
which seems to be the biggest problem

Haha, I am! Suppose it's time to prove my worth.....to become....LEGEND!

I actually really like the left side strat if you have two titans for it. Swordbearer is so much easier to kill. I've had the boomers be asshats and stick the tip of their gun just outside the bubble though and shoot people...just the tip. Happened last night to me on the nightfall too! The boomer that pops up in the little nook at the top totally stuck his gun through the wall and killed me!

I killed him three times last week in a LFG pug and once this week and have decided to stop, its a massive investment of time for something which I have no idea why I am doing it. I'd rather just play another game now to be honest, and fortunately Dying Light and Saints Row 4 both are on my system raring to go.

I still enjoy doing the nightfall every week and am getting all my characters close to max marks, close to their next level on rep (http://destinyrep.com is awesome for this), getting 10 bounties completed but not turned in, etc so I am ready for the next xpac. But until they fix the crota bugs I just don't see the point in spending 30-120 minutes on him on every character for a chance at a gun I will not actually use. I can just waltz back in when I am 33 or 34 and probably solo the damn thing.

Oh man, I dread trying with a LFG pug....but I may have to. I just want the crux and I can be done with it.

WipedOut

I think all roles are important for the encounter at the end of the day. That said, in my group we are covered for swords lol.

The execution does need to be close to perfect - felt like an insurmountable brick wall in the beginning. If you're on PS4 there a ton of people here that play or if you're on the bone, I'm always willing to help.

I agree, the most important everyone should follow these simple strats no matter where you line up to take him down.

1. Stay alive, it's not hard to dodge the boomers and thrall.
2. Everyone take down swordbearer in a timely matter.
3. Make sure sword guy calls out when he wants us to take down Crota.
4. Everyone that isn't the sword guy fire rockets to take Crota Down (Everyone has to have heavy ammo synth when going into this, you are going to run and and in a pinch need to pop one. Don't be stingy, you want loot, pay for it.)
5. Delegate someone on your team to perform countdown for next take down. 3.2.1 Fire
6. rinse and repeat until crota is dead

It's not hard, just everyone needs to be on point and not die, Really should be all 32's carrying 1 31 isn't a problem but the rest should be 32.

rNilla

I broke my Oversoul Edict streak but the Defiant still eludes me. :(

Bridge left on my Hunter and everything on my Warlock so more chances
to get yet another Edict.

E92 M3

You got Nechro?

Your asking Nami if he got a rare drop? Hahahah... (screams internally)

I agree, the most important everyone should follow these simple strats no matter where you line up to take him down.

4. Everyone that isn't the sword guy fire rockets to take Crota Down (Everyone has to have heavy ammo synth when going into this, you are going to run and and in a pinch need to pop one. Don't be stingy, you want loot, pay for it.)
5. Delegate someone on your team to perform countdown for next take down. 3.2.1 Fire

It's not hard, just everyone needs to be on point and not die, Really should be all 32's carrying 1 31 isn't a problem but the rest should be 32.

Indeed, but we also have someone on boomer management. The problem are the people that want the loot, but not the investment required for it.

Navy Bean

Also, if you're supposed to be shooting a rocket and you don't have any then you absolutely have to tell everyone so that they can compensate. A few times we'll wipe because someone is out of rockets and stays quiet until it's too late.

WipedOut

Your asking Nami if he got a rare drop? Hahahah... (screams internally)

Indeed, but we also have someone on boomer management. The problem are the people that want the loot, but not the investment required for it.

Exactly, there are some lazy players out there.

Boomers have not been a problem for us, they very seldom ever track our sword guy. Both are hunters so maybe it's because they are going invis on the way up.

noomi

The hardest enemy of the hard mode crota raid is lag.

You can do everything perfectly, but a bit of lag and the sword carrier is no longer able to be effective.

I found that as the sword carrier, starting the actual encounter (bringing everyone in from orbit) seems to have a positive outcome on the lag/delay. Either that or just a placebo effect :/

Also, if you're supposed to be shooting a rocket and you don't have any then you absolutely have to tell everyone so that they can compensate. A few times we'll wipe because someone is out of rockets and stays quiet until it's too late.

This drives me nuts.This and people that come into the Crota fight with no heavy ammo synthesis... are you fucking kidding me? You shouldn't even be able to load into the encounter with no heavy synthesis.

A good habit to get into is the moment you fire a rocket at crota, immediately switch to your primary and open fire until you start seeing the immunes pop up. If everyone does this, you'll compensate for that missing rocket.

Homeboyd

Exactly, there are some lazy players out there.

Boomers have not been a problem for us, they very seldom ever track our sword guy. Both are hunters so maybe it's because they are going invis on the way up.
Yeah it's b/c they're invis. If they're not, 2 shots from a boomer and it's a wipe. You need someone on boomer duty 100% of the time once someone has picked up the sword. Don't kill boomers, just stagger the one closest to crota until he eventually dies... then wait for the next one.

Sometimes both decide to shoot at your sword carrier.. then it gets interesting b/c you have to juggle staggering both of them.

ethomaz

Banned
The hardest enemy of the hard mode crota raid is lag.

You can do everything perfectly, but a bit of lag and the sword carrier is no longer able to be effective.

I found that as the sword carrier, starting the actual encounter (bringing everyone in from orbit) seems to have a positive outcome on the lag/delay. Either that or just a placebo effect :/
Make the sword carrier to be the fireteam leader... so he will be the host (no lag for him).

WipedOut

Yeah it's b/c they're invis. If they're not, 2 shots from a boomer and it's a wipe. You need someone on boomer duty 100% of the time once someone has picked up the sword. Don't kill boomers, just stagger the one closest to crota until he eventually dies... then wait for the next one.

Sometimes both decide to shoot at your sword carrier.. then it gets interesting b/c you have to juggle staggering both of them.

After shooting a rocket I keep an eye on them but have never once had to shoot them. I watch until I hear our guy with the countdown in which point I switch to heavy and fire by the time he hits 1.

Homeboyd

After shooting a rocket I keep an eye on them but have never once had to shoot them. I watch until I hear our guy with the countdown in which point I switch to heavy and fire by the time he hits 1.
Sounds like you have a sword carrier who is very good at staying invis the entire encounter.

Lnkn52

This drives me nuts.This and people that come into the Crota fight with no heavy ammo synthesis... are you fucking kidding me? You shouldn't even be able to load into the encounter with no heavy synthesis.

When I raided with PuMa's group, the first take down consisted of only primary. The second down was just rockets. I found this method worked really well, especially if you have group that does not like to waste Heavy Ammo Synths.

Booo, don't tell me we've abandoned HM Crota! We need to witness pro plays like this gem. Try to guess what the next line of text in the bottom left will be....

B8cdKI9IcAAERTA.jpg

J3aNgsV.gif

Ran with gdt, dhruv, and co. yesterday. I was dropping a titan bubble on the left or right side bridge (depending on which side gdt used) and drew the boomer fire. They pounded away at my bubble (I stayed in or behind the bubble) and completely ignored gdt as he smashed Crota.

Trying to get a quick normal Crota kill before work was a terrible idea. Super late now. 30 minutes and 7 wipes Rofl it's not hard. Thought it was a breath of fresh air but turned into rage inducing for me. I just can't stand the Crota fight period.

ethomaz

Banned
When I raided with PuMa's group, the first take down consisted of only primary. The second down was just rockets. I found this method worked really well, especially if you have group that does not like to waste Heavy Ammo Synths.
For my experience you need 3 Gjallarhorn shots to take Crota down on Hard... so 3 guys shooting... if you do that correctly you can take Crota two times in the first move resulting in 6 hits (close to half health).

If you do that correctally you will need 3 shots from three guys the whole enconter to kill him... add the shots you use to kill the Swordbearer then you need only 3 guys with 4-5 shots only.

If everybody expect the sword guy have 5 ammo you will be fine.... it will be even more than needed.

You don't need that much ammo.

Qwell

So I haven't been following the thread too closely since the reset, have folks been trying that new strat of laying down 2x titan bubbles on the stairs when Crota moves right / left?

Does it seem to work well?

I did run my nightfalls and weeklies last night so I'll probably make some attempts at HM CE (still need the abyss defiant, and Crota primaries) tonight.

PuMa

Yeah that really helps reduce the synths needed, and you can pretty much get Crota down at the same time as the sword carrier will get up to him that first time.

WipedOut

For my experience you need 3 Gjallarhorn shots to take Crota down on Hard... so 3 guys shooting... if you do that correctly you can take Crota two times in the first move resulting in 6 hits (close to half health).

If you do that correctally you will need 3 shots from three guys the whole enconter to kill him... add the shots you use to kill the Swordbearer then you need only 3 guys with 4-5 shots only.

If everybody expect the sword guy have 5 ammo you will be fine.... it will be even more than needed.

You are correct you do not need a ton of ammo, what happens though is when glitches cause a wipe, Crota does something stupid or the boomers do something unexpected then that is when Heavy ammo Synth come into play.

So I haven't been following the thread too closely since the reset, have folks been trying that new strat of laying down 2x titan bubbles on the stairs when Crota moves right / left?

I did run my nightfalls and weeklies last night so I'll probably make some attempts at HM CE (still need the abyss defiant, and Crota primaries) tonight.

Apparently Crota has been crashing the party and just sword smashing teams in their bubbles.

E92 M3

Make the sword carrier to be the fireteam leader... so he will be the host (no lag for him).

Good idea!

Always safer to fire 4 rockets with this fight lol.

Insaniac

Lowest guy in our group just got Fatebringer AND Praedyths Timepiece AND Mida Multi-tool from VoG Hardmode. Everyone else got regular VoG weapons :( :( :(

rNilla

Yeah that really helps reduce the synths needed, and you can pretty much get Crota down at the same time as the sword carrier will get up to him that first time.

Hmm, if I ever run Crota again I'll have to try this. Burned a shit ton of heavy synth last night and I'm a frugal bastard that doesn't like to purchase it by the hundreds.

LTWood12

I'm hearing conflicting reports. Seems like a lot of folks that have tried it here haven't had luck with it.

ethomaz

Banned
Always safer to fire 4 rockets with this fight lol.
Of course... and remember 3x Hypehorn :D if anybody have another Rocket Launcher it is better to shot more times until see he down.

Even if you have one guy working on boomers you will have 4 guys shooting rockets at Crota.

Lnkn52

Hmm, if I ever run Crota again I'll have to try this. Burned a shit ton of heavy synth last night and I'm a frugal bastard that doesn't like to purchase it by the hundreds.

A fully maxed scout rifle works really well (range and impact are factors). On the second round of shooting rockets, I was switching to my primary for insurance.

PuMa

Shoot me an invite if you need a hand. Always willing to help out.

I need Crota as well, I couldn't find a GAF group at all last night.

PSN - arekkusu77.
I am trying to figure out what our problem was last night. Was it 'cause Wrath was a 31? Was our strategy not sound? Was it everyone's weapon selection?

The lamp section is tough, there is no doubt about it, but I didn't have anywhere near that kind of issue last week with a different group. We had players die, of course, but never just wipe after wipe.

ethomaz

Banned

Tried the first time yesterday... Crota just smashed us with R2 killing everybody near, far and inside the bubbles.

:D

I didn't recorded but it was a flawless move from Crota.

Top Bottom