• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT16| Enrage is here, there, everywhere...

Gonna upload our successful HM run. Thank fuck for Mask of the Third Man. Actual life saver. Crota nearly killed me on the first sword before I could even get to him lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
1400+ posts already, eh?

You guys really don't have to keep trying so hard. We all know the game and community are dead and broken now- forever lost in the dark corners of time. Burdened by the Weight of Darkness and unable to heal their wounds due to the Presence of Crota. Plagued by evil so dark it despises other evil. This tragedy will scar the industry for generations.

or not
I'd like to take a moment to recognize Hawkian. He's put forth an unmeasurable amount of good will towards this community. We're lucky to have him and I expect he'll still be around running his newbie raids, writing his guides and providing his passionate analysis. Thanks Hawk! I hope the community hasn't burned (or bummed) you out too much.

OT title should have been a tribute.
That's a damned good idea. And the thing about Hawkian is he is a generally cool and great-natured person. I've always enjoyed his presence when playing. He's a pillar of this community, if I do say so myself.
It kind of is, in a way...
But yeah, I agree, Hawkian did an awesome job for this community here on GAF. I hope he will keep on posting, even if he slows down a bit / takes a back seat.
Hawkian did an over the top fantastic job. He had a wonderful temperament and posting style for being the OT maker for so long. He has put in an amazing amount of time and effort towards helping the DGAF community in all the long months since Destiny launched.
Shout out to Hawkian for his admirable work here in the Destiny OTs. I really appreciate the dedication you bring to the table, and it shouldn't go overlooked.
Thank you, truly, for all the kind words, it means an enormous amount to me. It occurs to me now that I must have given the impression that I didn't feel appreciated by the community or that the community was ungrateful in some way. That's not what I was getting at at all. I've actually received PSN messages from people who don't even have GAF accounts thanking me for a piece of information that affected their experience, or for help with their first newbie raid. Regardless of all other variables these kinds of things are consistent and just as representative of the people we have here as the thread itself, and they absolutely keep me going and keep me close to the community.
Hawkianmoon
I like it! Both amazing at what they do and both (unfortunately) PS4 exclusives.
Ha! XD outstanding.

Sorry Xbox Guardians :(
Deku Truee said:
As far as I could tell he was upset about the posting styles of some people, and the apparent consensus approval of certain posts, and the further GAF moderation decisions within this thread. And I understand that.
That's really about it. Well-summarized.

During two similar nadirs in thread attitude in the past, one very early on and the other some time after the jump to community- there were actually bans handed down for the kind of posting behavior I'm referring to. This time, there weren't.

I can completely understand why and fully respect the cadre of mods for adapting their policy a bit. As Ghaleon said, people have a right to be "grouchy." I come down on the side of "some forms of expressing grouchiness are more acceptable than others." But for one thing, there's just too much of it to moderate fairly, and importantly, the majority of you don't agree with me about this. A fact that makes me sort of sad, but that's about it. It would be pretty selfish of me to want my approach to be the one enforced by the forum. I just don't feel totally comfortable being associated with it. It all makes sort of uneasy and kind of embarrassed, reading a page... 2 pages... 10 pages... 20 pages of particularly vitriolic posts and having my name be forever listed as the creator of that experience. I know that sounds completely ridiculous to a lot of you. It's just something that gets to me. It's not unique to this community or this game, just gaming in general. Addressing the developers directly and telling them to fuck off is accepted as par for the course in the medium, across the internet... but not by me. Makes me cringe. I mean it's just a goddamn game. My perspective, shared by an admittedly tiny minority of gamers, is that videogames shouldn't be able to produce that kind of reaction in people. They're too much of a triviality. Too inconsequential.

It was particularly tough on me the way everything timed out because there's some stuff going on in my life in the mysterious "real world" right now that involves people I could get pretty justifiably pissed off at, for rational reasons. Things that could have an impact on my livelihood or the well-being of my family... but... I'm still trying my best to be civil and not overreact or react toxically, because it won't help. And this is shit that, no offense to any of you who are extremely passionate about Bungie's incompetence, is way more important than anything concerning a videogame could ever be.

I love the community we've created here. I love the sensation of having contributed in any part of its growth and success, and I don't have any trouble admitting that it is usually a source of pride. I'll give you an excerpt of a post I once made, after numerous predictions that both the game and OT subcommunities were on the precipice of desertion ("by November," in fact, according to one post at the time).
me said:
Whether you consider Destiny a "successful social game" or not, a GAF community is forming around it. I've already killed aliens and other guardians with many of you, and I've never not had fun doing it. It might not seem like it to you right now, but the GAF community for Destiny is shaping up to be very strong. I want to see it grow and thrive and follow the game for months, if not years. And I know that some of you will end up wanting to be a part of this and some of you won't.
That was three months, 24 days, and 11 OTs ago.

Difficult as it is for me to believe or accept, activity has substantially accelerated since then.

I love the community we've created here, and I want it to continue to thrive as long as there are people on GAF playing. I don't always love what the thread becomes when morale is low. Just to be able to keep enjoying the game and the community as much as I have been since launch, I gotta take my stamp off the thread, at least until I can find a way of looking at it that doesn't make me feel so uncomfortable. That's all.

I'm not going anywhere... it's hilarious to me that so many people seemed to read my post as though it was a "here's my dramatic monologue about why I'm leaving" kind of deal. I didn't say anything of the sort, and I just don't look at gaming that way. I'll be playing Destiny until actually playing Destiny isn't fun for me any longer. I urge you all to consider a similar approach, and its corollary; the instant it's no longer fun for you to play, stop playing immediately.

Maybe "tomorrow" will be the last straw for the rest of you, the last day DestinyGAF exists. But as long as that holds true tomorrow too, I think we'll be okay ;)
Hawk fan here as well. We'll cool down shortly. He accurately described our reactions to everything Bungie will ever do. Sine wave.

We're up and then quickly down the drain again.
Hawkian mentioned that... he called it a Sine Wave.
khcPV5t.jpg

It doesn't bother me so much that it's predictable, cyclical behavior so much as how when it's happening I feel like I'm the only one who notices.

So like, I get that the first day of Hard Crota raid was extremely frustrating and many didn't find their experiences fun at all.

But this?
FloatingDivider said:
FUCKING GREAT SHIT ON MY FACE SOME MORE BUNGIE, I MUST LIKE TURDS IN THE MOUTH BECAUSE I KEEP DOING THIS SHIT
Wait... oops, no, that was from OT6. From the first batch of Nightfall rewards before engrams had been fixed. This one too heh:
jett said:
THESE FUCKING GARBAGE RNG'D UP THE ASS NIGHTFALL REWARDS WHAT THE FUCK BUNGIE GET A FUCKING CLUE

Okay, here we go. I mean stuff like this:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Fucking assholes at Bungie, you didn't fix ANYTHING??
Shit, no, that was OT7, about Atheon.

firehawk12 said:
lolololololol
Fuck you Bungie.
agh, crap, I'm bad at this. That one's from OT11 about a bad Xur inventory.

Jinjo said:
Fuck you and your christmas gift Bungie.
...okay well that's obviously from OT14, when Bungie had the gall to give us free legendary weapons.

:p Maybe you get what I'm driving at, anyway. It doesn't get better. It doesn't stop. It just comes and goes.

I fully understand all of the reasoning and justifications you might offer as to why this kind of thing is okay. I'm not even going to try and argue that they're wrong; I just disagree.

So that's where I'm at. May not post nearly as much, and I might look into an alternative way to organize the weekly newbie raids and other activities, but I'm not gone. As always, feel free to (and let others with questions know that they can) PM me for just about anything. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

oSoLucky

KC_Darkness(me)
phantom8324
Kydd-BlaZe
TKRunningRiot
chrome_sitar
v1br4t1ons

Newest members of the Crota Kill Club. Even with Gatekeepers chasing us and Ogres taking 1 1/2 minutes to come out. 4 of us with no prior HM attempts and got it 5th try.

Carn82

Just stick around Hawkian :) (I do share your opinion about the sometimes abundancy of 'negative sentiments', but I just try to shrug them away. This community is great and it's just a waste of time to me to get riled up by that)

Spruchy

Going to be doing a Fresh Normal Crota Raid PS4 at 10PM EST, please send an invite/message Spruchy if you would like to come.

Need 2 more.

Bogeypop

It was particularly tough on me the way everything timed out because there's some stuff going on in my life in the mysterious "real world" right now that involves people I could get pretty justifiably pissed off at, for rational reasons. Things that could have an impact on my livelihood or the well-being of my family... but... I'm still trying my best to be civil and not overreact or react toxically, because it won't help. And this is shit that, no offense to any of you who are extremely passionate about Bungie's incompetence, is way more important than anything concerning a videogame could ever be.

I'm not going anywhere... it's hilarious to me that so many people seemed to read my post as though it was a "here's my dramatic monologue about why I'm leaving" kind of deal. I didn't say anything of the sort, and I just don't look at gaming that way. I'll be playing Destiny until actually playing Destiny isn't fun for me any longer. I urge you all to consider a similar approach, and its corollary; the instant it's no longer fun for you to play, stop playing immediately.

Maybe "tomorrow" will be the last straw for the rest of you, the last day DestinyGAF exists. But as long as that holds true tomorrow too, I think we'll be okay ;)

I knew something must have happened, and people were just overdramatizing your silence for that long time. I read about your situation in that place the other day, and hope everything turns out ok. :)

noomi

*hugs Hawkian*

Also GUYS GUISE GUIZE!!!!! guess what?!?!

I got the motha' fuckin' no land beyond from a roc strike :|

Where is my hawkmoon :(

so my weapon drop rate for Crota has been horrible.

played the raid 3 times ever week since it launched and only got 2 weapon drops.

the rest have been chards and armor.

AAARGH

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled

played the raid 3 times ever week since it launched and only got 2 weapon drops.

AAARGH
I've beaten Crota 3 times a week since the TDB launch and haven't got a single 36 light helmet yet.

R0ckman

AAARGH

Went back to VoG hard today to give it one last chance for giggles. Got shards and energy. No armor, no weapons. Thank god I got the Vex a while back from it. Never got anything armor wise except gloves and helmet. Drop rate in VoG is ass, even with double rolls.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Welcome back Hawkian, I appreciate everything you have done to build this community. I did not get GAF approval until December, but I have been reading threads since before launch on this game.

I said this in the last thread, but Crota hard is mostly pissing people off because of what I feel is a lack of experience at playing at the bleeding edge of MMO raids. It isn't supposed to be easy the first time you clear it. I spent many more hours on server firsts in other games than on HM Crota, and never felt the need to lash out at the developers because I couldn't get phat lewt day one of a new raid release...

I've beaten Crota 3 times a week since the TDB launch and haven't got a single 36 light helmet yet.

I been lucky with the armor, have all of them. I just need those damn weapons to start dropping for me before I go mad. not that I need them haha but its still fun to get something new.

So many things could have fucked us up on that run. I don't know about you guys, but I was on some very thin fucking ice right from the get go. Luck was on our side for once.

Stubo

It cannot be overstated how much you've done for this community Hawk, I just wanted to add my voice to the choir. Maybe we can build a statue or something.

All the best for your RL situation.

Hope things get better IRL Hawkian. Definitely precedence over Destiny. Your presence is missed and glad to see you here whenever you're able to

R0ckman

How is Bungie getting away with DLC exclusive weeklies and dailies? They are basically taking away content that the base user paid for.

Top Bottom