• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
To be fair, they go for a risky 4th R2 in that GIF and it hits him while he's orange. He still shouldn't stand up that fast though.

Didn't realise I got another Dragon's Breath with that run, goddamn I feel like I get that every other week.

I had a No Land Beyond waiting for me at te tower. Third frickin one this week.

On otherhand I finally have Oversoul Edict AND Fang of Ir Yut.

I don't know why but I still kinda want to crux... Even if I have no interest in necrochasm... Is that sane?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
haha yep! And I must say, your sword skills are excellent as well!
:3 playing with you guys.

So, what's the fastest way to get to level 31?
My hunter is level 8 right now. I'll hit level 20 in a few days. What do i do after that?
We will carry you through CE, don't bother with vendor gear (if you have it then it's nice). Get to 20, get some rare gear which should boost you to 27 light and get an exotic helmet too. If you are 29 or 30 or even 28, we can do CE :)

Vendor gear, brah.

Eghh not looking forward to hours of crucible :-\
but I guess I must

:3 playing with you guys.

We will carry you through CE, don't bother with vendor gear (if you have it then it's nice). Get to 20, get some rare gear which should boost you to 27 light and get an exotic helmet too. If you are 29 or 30 or even 28, we can do CE :)

Sounds like a plan :)

Hmm now that I think about it, that last Crota's end Hard mode raid went by smoothly. We had no lag even tho we had people from around the world playing..kinda wonder what induces the terrible lag sometimes.

Speculation at this point, I thought the bungie once said House of Wolves was coming March 10th?
Bungie has not said anything.

March 10th was from a presentation given at least last October, perhaps earlier (October is when the picture leaked.) They were plans, and could easily change, especially in light of feedback related to The Dark Below.

May 19th was dug up by changing the date in the game until the House of Wolves ex-pac showed up as being available. It could easily be a placeholder that will be patched. Remember, a lot of the Dark Below content was already in the game, but still needed a 2-3 GB patch a few weeks beforehand to put the rest of the content and tweaks in. That could still easily happen before March 10.

What bums me out the most about the CE HM fight is there is no end goal for load outs. Other than getting a helm that gives healing orbs (there are exotic helms that do the same, so that isn't really unique to the raid), all the gear/weapons are moot. Not a single one of the CE Raid weapons are the most efficient to use in the CE raid. None of their raid specific perks influence the fight, especially the Crota battle, in a significant way. With VoG, weapons like Corrective Measure, Praetorian Foil, and Found Verdict made a huge impact on how easily you could get through the Atheon encounter, especially in VoG HM. The more you played, the better you got, the better weapons you got, and the easier the encounter became. This is a satisfying progression path and it is no where to be found in CE.

I am still having fun leveling VoG weapons up to see how much it changes the feel of that raid. Moreover, when the best weapon on VoG dropped, Vex (Fatebringer now), you felt like a fucking boss going back through the raid that you invested all of that time to master to get that ultimate drop. That is the grand reward, the drops and your acquired skill allowing you to finally make the entire raid your bitch.

For CE HM, Necrochasm is the "ultimate" drop and it is fucking terrible, full stop. You don't even feel like a boss on patrols, let alone CE HM. I haven't used a single CE raid weapon in the entire CE raid,both normal and hard. Fatebringer, Ice Breaker (or LDR-5001), and Horn is all I've needed. Sure if you are lucky enough to get the Hunger of Crota, that is a viable substitute, but most will opt for the Horn if they have it. Black Hammer is probably the most useful CE weapon, but it shines pretty much every where but CE. In strikes it is a god, in CE it is a bugged weapon that sits in your inventory. VoG weapons were so good, they are still worth getting and still awesome even at 300 attack. TDB made all of our VoG armor worthless, but it made our VoG weapons seem even better, despite them being statistically worse based on in game stats. How fucked is that?!

CE is an uninspired raid and CE HM is an absolute failure in my opinion. Last week's update that neglected to mention a single one of its massive short comings/glitches in CE HM, is a perfect example of how oblivious DeeJ/Bungie are to their players and how they play, or how they are intentionally ignoring us. CE HM isn't hard because it is "hard." It is hard because it is exercise of 6 people overcoming lag, boring encounters, glitches in almost every single Crota attempt, meager rewards and blowing through heavy ammo synths (or the alternative of wasting time exploiting Bungie's fuck-awful code for free heavy ammo) that represent one more stick poking us in the cage of the disastrous Destiny economy.

CE HM isn't about player skill, it is about your group not hitting their own enrage timers. It is more of a relief when it is done, not a satisfying victory. Whether it is pissing away glimmer in the form of synths, or passing hours with the feeling of zero progression, CE HM is broken and it in turn breaks us. All for what, the Necrochasm? Haha. HoW needs to knock it out of the fucking park, or this community is going to be, Guardian down, team revives disabled.

Deku Tree

My hunter is level 8 right now. I'll hit level 20 in a few days. What do i do after that?

One exotic. Buy one vanguard boots. Do Eris urn quest to get 33 light gloves. Be level 27 with one Blue armor chest or helmet. Get someone to carry your 27 thru Crota normal abyss and bridge and hope for armor drops that you need (most likely chest at bridge). If you don't get the raid armor then do bounties every day and max out vanguard marks and buy vanguard gear that you need or try for CE raid luck next week.

Bladelaw

I'm game, I actually have 2 others who want to do it as well. We were planning on doing it 3x's. I was going to post something but figured it was to early. My PSN is ichabod00 if you want to send me a friend request, I can add you and send an invite when we're all ready.

Sounds great. I'll add you now so I don't forget later. PSN is fadeddream.

Midas

To be fair, they go for a risky 4th R2 in that GIF and it hits him while he's orange. He still shouldn't stand up that fast though.

Perhaps. But it's when he hits enrage the insta-kill happens. I've been a sword user and only got two hits in causing the enrage, and then dead.

Forgive my ignorance but do all vanguard strikes give the same marks?

Yes.. At Vanguard Rank 3 you get a comideation which is needed to get a Vanguard head piece or chest piece. You don't need a comideation for arms and legs. I also believe you get a comideation for every vanguard rank you level up after rank 3.

Just saying I love how no one uses the song of ir yut's perk to shoot thro the wall of darkness. By the time you switch over to use it, the wall of darkness is gone. But yeah I agree with you. HoW's raid has to be good..with all the other games coming out soon.
Edit: your post was long. make it less scrolly :p

gives you more Marks than Crucible per completion. you can get a lot fairly quickly by skipping through most of the Strikes.

I need 87 light to be level 27

36-Exotic gear
21* 3- rare gear
Totals to 63+36=99 which takes me to level 28.
Which means that I might just might be able to circumvent getting any gear from vendors

How long you been playing this game, Dhruv? There's only two kinds of marks lol.

Edit: oh the marks are tiered. The higher the level, the more marks you get.

Heh yeah, should have written same amount of marks

What part of the raid is Song of Ir Yut even useful on? Deathsinger? You should be ignoring all the Knights until she's dead anyway and after that you literally have all the time in the fucking world (or until you get booted).

What bums me out the most about the CE HM fight is there is no end goal for load outs. Other than getting a helm that gives healing orbs (there are exotic helms that do the same, so that isn't really unique to the raid), all the gear/weapons are moot. Not a single one of the CE Raid weapons are the most efficient to use in the CE raid. None of their raid specific perks influence the fight, especially the Crota battle, in a significant way. With VoG, weapons like Corrective Measure, Praetorian Foil, and Found Verdict made a huge impact on how easily you could get through the Atheon encounter, especially in VoG HM. The more you played, the better you got, the better weapons you got, and the easier the encounter became. This is a satisfying progression path and it is no where to be found in CE.

This constantly has me wondering if we aren't doing Crota the right way.

I see all these buffs pop up when Crota enrages and the Oversoul is summoned, and I can't help but feel like I'm supposed to deal with the Oversoul instead of play chicken with Crota for that last 10%.

I mean, we have all these perks for Oversoul, yet we spend the entire fight ignoring it. Just doesn't feel right, ya know?

And this is why everybody fucking hates Crota.

everyone should quit CE HM. self torture.
Agreed. It's the straw that has broken this camel's back. I will run Hard Mode CE every week, but if I can't down Crota after one group, I don't really bother trying to go back later to do it. My time is better spent elsewhere.

My regular group did really well last night, with Magic Ox substituting in. We got to Crota, but then, as usual, it's just smashing our head against the wall over and over again. Things go well, then one thing happens that throws the whole fight off-balance. I gave it my earnest effort and then had to crash, as I get up crazy early for work.

Just saying I love how no one uses the song of ir yut's perk to shoot thro the wall of darkness. By the time you switch over to use it, the wall of darkness is gone. But yeah I agree with you. HoW's raid has to be good..with all the other games coming out soon.

This was my first CE weapon, and I was so stoked to fully level it (foolish me). I figured, oh man, this thing is going to be so useful. All of those knights in CE are fucked! Nope, I tried it once an it was awful. So much of CE requires or is best done with rockets. There is no time or room to be fucking with a heavy machine gun, even one designed to shine in CE.

The Oversoul bonus perk needs to be replaced with doing more damage to Sword bearers. It would make so much more sense. Just like oracle disruptor. Helpful in Templar and Atheon. Sword bearer "disruptor" would be helpful at bridge and Crota.

I see all these buffs pop up when Crota enrages and the Oversoul is summoned, and I can't help but feel like I'm supposed to deal with the Oversoul instead of play chicken with Crota for that last 10%.

I mean, we have all these perks for Oversoul, yet we spend the entire fight ignoring it. Just doesn't feel right, ya know?

But by the time you kill the Oversoul and get Crota's shields down again, the sword could disappear and you're stuck in Enrage so it's a wipe. Ignoring it is the best option regardless.

Steroyd

I think I've decided my main issue with HM Crota, aside from the bugs, is the lack of excitement. It's too exact due to knowing how many sword hits it takes to kill.

That plus bugs = zzzzzzzzzzz.

I think the fact we HAVE to count how many hits to ensure a "smooth" run epitomises how boringly calculated everything is with everyone needing stick to their roles of doing nothing. The only tense moment is when enrage happens and that amounts to "stay off the middle ledge".

Jinjo

Get to 27 with mostly rare gear + exotic, have some people carry you through first part of CE normal. Just try to go from mostly rare gear to CE raid gear instantly. Anything else is a waste of time and precious class mats.

I feel like was a better Swordbearer before I knew I could accidentally hit enrage in 2 swords. I don't want to have to count how many hits I'm doing.

This was my first CE weapon, and I was so stoked to fully level it (foolish me). I figured, oh man, this thing is going to be so useful. All of those knights in CE are fucked! Nope, I tried it once an it was awful. So much of CE requires or is best done with rockets. There is no time or room to be fucking with a heavy machine gun, even one designed to shine in CE.

The Oversoul bonus perk needs to be replaced with doing more damage to Sword bearers. It would make so much more fucking sense. Just like oracle disruptor. Helpful in Templar and Atheon. Sword bearer "disruptor" would be helpful at bridge and Crota.
Yeah I wanted that heavy at first but now mehh. Everything is such a bullet sponge..The oversoul will either be DPS to death or its a wipe.

LiK

I've never run Crota before, but if you're okay with that, I'm down. (If that's a problem, don't worry about it.) 31 Bladedancer Hunter with Don't Touch Me

PSN: RetroMG

31 is perfectly fine for NM.

I feel like was a better Swordbearer before I knew I could accidentally hit enrage in 2 swords. I don't want to have to count how many hits I'm doing.

you're too good. don't kill him too fast!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

As fig said, once Crota enrages it's basically an all or nothing situation. The only priority is to get his shields down so that the swordbearer kills him before the Oversoul causes a wipe.

Honestly, if someone dies during the HM Crota fight, it's just better to wipe instead of continuing with 5 people. The fight requires you to make no mistakes at all and if you mess up somewhere you're not going to be able to kill him.

So yeah, that Oversoul perk is useless IMO.

You can just see his health bar and guess how many hits you need. Sometimes a hit will not count if he glitches and then it will cause a wipe. I always go by the health bar.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
What part of the raid is Song of Ir Yut even useful on? Deathsinger? You should be ignoring all the Knights until she's dead anyway and after that you literally have all the time in the fucking world (or until you get booted).

In the same way that Hunger is mini ghorn and better than most legendary rockets, Song should be a mini thunderlord better than most legendary machine guns. But nope. They kinda shit the bed with that gun.

Top Bottom