• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT17| 17th inning stretch

noomi

Man.... all the managers/bosses at my job are gone until Friday. There is NOTHING to do here right now, how I wish I was home with my destiny right now.

Might go home during lunch and try to knock one of the weeklies out.

But by the time you kill the Oversoul and get Crota's shields down again, the sword could disappear and you're stuck in Enrage so it's a wipe. Ignoring it is the best option regardless.

As fig said, once Crota enrages it's basically an all or nothing situation. The only priority is to get his shields down so that the swordbearer kills him before the Oversoul causes a wipe.

Honestly, if someone dies during the HM Crota fight, it's just better to wipe instead of continuing with 5 people. The fight requires you to make no mistakes at all and if you mess up somewhere you're not going to be able to kill him.

So yeah, that Oversoul perk is useless IMO.

You can just see his health bar and guess how many hits you need. Sometimes a hit will not count if he glitches and then it will cause a wipe. I always go by the health bar.

Oh, certainly. And this is what I have done everytime. I was just pointing out that I have this nagging feeling that something isn't going the way it is supposed to.

Basically, it feels odd that Bungie would give all these armor perks, only to design an encounter around us never using them. I'd like to give them more credit than that.

LiK

Man.... all the managers/bosses at my job are gone until Friday. There is NOTHING to do here right now, how I wish I was home with my destiny right now.

Might go home during lunch and try to knock one of the weeklies out.

man, you must live really close to work.

EL CUCO

I feel like was a better Swordbearer before I knew I could accidentally hit enrage in 2 swords. I don't want to have to count how many hits I'm doing.
I struggled with this too. You have to have a predetermined plan of killing him in 2 swords or killing him in 3. My 2nd swords usually consist of 2 hits (maybe 3 depending on how good or bad my first sword went) per kneel because I have to watch my damage output.

It's a nice little wrinkle to running sword that wouldn't be as annoying as it is if Crota was consistent.
I did that because every seems to be acting a little burnt out. So it's time to take a little breather, get some fresh air, and then come back swinging.
Lol gotcha. Thanks!

Jinjo

Level 32 VoG mode with upgraded weapons (and armor) pls Bungie. That would tide people over easy till HoW.

You can just see his health bar and guess how many hits you need. Sometimes a hit will not count if he glitches and then it will cause a wipe. I always go by the health bar.

Oh, that's what I do. I use the combo instead of constant R2 anyway so counting hits doesn't really work for me. It's just that every time I'm doing the sword now I will always have the thought in the back of my head that I'll do too much damage too soon, and that's ridiculous to me.

rNilla

How much damage does a Combo do compared to a Smash? I like doing Combo x 2 but after the first sword had to switch to R2 Smashes to make sure I didn't hit Enrage too early.

LiK

everyone should stop playing CE HM until Bungie fixes the heavy ammo bug. they promised the fix will happen before the end of Feb.

not even hard, it's glitchy/laggy/broken. if no glitches happen, we would be finishing it first try no problem.

I agree with this. When you finally get the kill that means you've had a smooth run with no glitches. The strats are all so refined at this point that a no glitch run means a super safe and super boring kill.

The fight isn't hard with current strats, its just a matter of getting lucky with many things out of your control falling into place.

Dave_6

Had fun last night with some fellow GAFers, but I'm feeling the 'burn out' pretty bad right now. Ran one full NM CE, then two more NM Crota kills. Only thing I got of use was the Hunter chest; not one weapon drop other than my 3rd Dragon's Breath. Not one piece of armor or anything (well a duplicate Light of the Abyss) for my Warlock or Titan (first kill for my Titan too). Then ran the Gorgon chest with all three characters and got nothing but shards on all 3. Really?

Still need to run 3x NF and weeklies but I'm not even sure if I want to...

I live pretty close to work... to the point where I think my "lunch breaks" are becoming mildly famous.

Any of you that have played with me over my lunch breaks know exactly what I'm talking about.

>_>

Bizazedo

I feel like was a better Swordbearer before I knew I could accidentally hit enrage in 2 swords. I don't want to have to count how many hits I'm doing.
It's funny, because it reminds me of something a World of Warcraft developer said. They nerfed how much tank taunt was needed because they didn't want DPS to feel restrained and just doing nothing.

I naturally thought it was bullshit and dumbing down the game even further. I still do, because it's not like Crota where they're doing nothing....but....

It does feel like it has a nugget of truth now.

Oh, certainly. And this is what I have done everytime. I was just pointing out that I have this nagging feeling that something isn't going the way it is supposed to.

Basically, it feels odd that Bungie would give all these armor perks, only to design an encounter around us never using them. I'd like to give them more credit than that.

I think you're right. At least, I want you to be right.

LiK

I agree with this. When you finally get the kill that means you've had a smooth run with no glitches. The strats are all so refined at this point that a no glitch run means a super safe and super boring kill.

The fight isn't hard with current strats, its just a matter of getting lucky with many things out of your control falling into place.

yep, players have learned to deal with Bungie's dumbass countermeasures but the game doesn't play by it's own rules. When Crota decides to just jump up from a kneel and kill the Sword master, that's just unfair.

Lnkn52

Had fun last night with some fellow GAFers, but I'm feeling the 'burn out' pretty bad right now. Ran one full NM CE, then two more NM Crota kills. Only thing I got of use was the Hunter chest; not one weapon drop other than my 3rd Dragon's Breath. Not one piece of armor or anything (well a duplicate Light of the Abyss) for my Warlock or Titan (first kill for my Titan too). Then ran the Gorgon chest with all three characters and got nothing but shards on all 3. Really?

Still need to run 3x NF and weeklies but I'm not even sure if I want to...

Dragon Breath and Universal Remote for everyone!

noomi

Yup, takes me about 15 minutes to get home from work, and I have an hour lunch, so 30minutes of driving, and 30minutes of gaming :D

I think I might have a problem....

Lima

I'm not doing HM anymore anyway, so I can easily do that on Normal. :p

Nah on normal it's all about that triple down and killing him with the first sword. Easy 60 second fight. It's so funny how you can send one 32 to the boomer tower on normal with a high impact sniper and he can just one shot the boomers as they come out of the door. I like the total weird stuff you can do on normal cause it is so ridiculously easy.

Sh0k

Does anybody have a good strategy or can share a video for the Deathsinger section in the Crota's End raid, Normal or Hard? Got to that section in hard mode yesterday with a group of friends, but we struggled at the end trying to kill the Deathsinger.

bitsurugi

What bums me out the most about the CE HM fight is there is no end goal for load outs. Other than getting a helm that gives healing orbs (there are exotic helms that do the same, so that isn't really unique to the raid), all the gear/weapons are moot. Not a single one of the CE Raid weapons are the most efficient to use in the CE raid. None of their raid specific perks influence the fight, especially the Crota battle, in a significant way. With VoG, weapons like Corrective Measure, Praetorian Foil, and Found Verdict made a huge impact on how easily you could get through the Atheon encounter, especially in VoG HM. The more you played, the better you got, the better weapons you got, and the easier the encounter became. This is a satisfying progression path and it is no where to be found in CE.

I am still having fun leveling VoG weapons up to see how much it changes the feel of that raid. Moreover, when the best weapon on VoG dropped, Vex (Fatebringer now), you felt like a fucking boss going back through the raid that you invested all of that time to master to get that ultimate drop. That is the grand reward, the drops and your acquired skill allowing you to finally make the entire raid your bitch.

For CE HM, Necrochasm is the "ultimate" drop and it is fucking terrible, full stop. You don't even feel like a boss on patrols, let alone CE HM. I haven't used a single CE raid weapon in the entire CE raid,both normal and hard. Fatebringer, Ice Breaker (or LDR-5001), and Horn is all I've needed. Sure if you are lucky enough to get the Hunger of Crota, that is a viable substitute, but most will opt for the Horn if they have it. Black Hammer is probably the most useful CE weapon, but it shines pretty much every where but CE. In strikes it is a god, in CE it is a bugged weapon that sits in your inventory. VoG weapons were so good, they are still worth getting and still awesome even at 300 attack. TDB made all of our VoG armor worthless, but it made our VoG weapons seem even better, despite them being statistically worse based on in game stats. How fucked is that?!

CE is an uninspired raid and CE HM is an absolute failure in my opinion. Last week's update that neglected to mention a single one of its massive short comings/glitches in CE HM, is a perfect example of how oblivious DeeJ/Bungie are to their players and how they play, or how they are intentionally ignoring us. CE HM isn't hard because it is "hard." It is hard because it is exercise of 6 people overcoming lag, boring encounters, glitches in almost every single Crota attempt, meager rewards and blowing through heavy ammo synths (or the alternative of wasting time exploiting Bungie's fuck-awful code for free heavy ammo) that represent one more stick poking us in the cage of the disastrous Destiny economy.

CE HM isn't about player skill, it is about your group not hitting their own enrage timers. It is more of a relief when it is done, not a satisfying victory. Whether it is pissing away glimmer in the form of synths, or passing hours with the feeling of zero progression, CE HM is broken and it in turn breaks us. All for what, the Necrochasm? Haha. HoW needs to knock it out of the fucking park, or this community is going to be, Guardian down, team revives disabled.

Good post, sums up my thoughts.

One of the biggest flaws Bunie made in Destiny and AFAIK doesn't even work on it is super dull armor diversity.

I'd love a HM armor set, that has actually useful perks in CE. Only useful one is hive distruptor on weapons, but why not give players smth to aim for like: better defense againts hive or some other useful raid perk, that make CE HM easier the more you gear up.

yep, players have learned to deal with Bungie's dumbass countermeasures but the game doesn't play by it's own rules. When Crota decides to just jump up from a kneel and kill the Sword master, that's just unfair.

Both raids have glitches, but at least VoG was designed in a way that it wasn't necessarily a wipe when it happens and many times you can push through if everyone performs well. Crota is a mixed bag, you can wipe even if you do everything perfect.

I live pretty close to work... to the point where I think my "lunch breaks" are becoming mildly famous.

Any of you that have played with me over my lunch breaks know exactly what I'm talking about.

>_>

'Lunch breaks'

air-quotes.gif

Nah on normal it's all about that triple down and killing him with the first sword. Easy 60 second fight. It's so funny how you can send one 32 to the boomer tower on normal with a high impact sniper and he can just one shot the boomers as they come out of the door. I like the total weird stuff you can do on normal cause it is so ridiculously easy.

Well, it's worth trying.

WipedOut

Did 3 HM CE last night and didn't get one exotic drop just Fang, word and Helmet. Ship and Sparrow. Still need to do two more deathsingers and 3 x Gargon CP. There is still hope, I think.

Does anybody have a good strategy or can share a video for the Deathsinger section in the Crota's End raid, Normal or Hard? Got to that section in hard mode yesterday with a group of friends, but we struggled at the end trying to kill the Deathsinger.

If you look up, you can toss a solar grenade or use AP rounds to aggro the wizards out OR just run in and run out to bring the wizards out. 3 go left and 3 go right. Hang out in the towers and kill the wizards. 1 or 2 person can run in and shoot rockets at the shrieker on each side. Now depending on the locations of the bullet sponges adds, everyone go to the opposite side of them. They tend to hand out on the left side from what I notices the most. The deathsinger tends to move around alot, but once she starts singing/ the countdown timer begins, she will stop moving and take more damage. DPS her then trash duties :p

If you have blinding bubbles, pop them by the entrances to the crystal room. That will help push back some of the adds as well.

edit: I forgot to mention, assuming its a new group of players, ignore the large groups of yellow adds. You might have to kill a few thats in the way, but besides that, run around and bunny hop. You will have to kill them after the deathsinger is dead.

realcZk

CE HM isn't about player skill, it is about your group not hitting their own enrage timers. It is more of a relief when it is done, not a satisfying victory. Whether it is pissing away glimmer in the form of synths, or passing hours with the feeling of zero progression, CE HM is broken and it in turn breaks us. All for what, the Necrochasm? Haha. HoW needs to knock it out of the fucking park, or this community is going to be, Guardian down, team revives disabled.

I felt the same way after beating CE on hard. The first time our group did it, we didn't even cheer the same way we did on CE normal. The enthusiasm seemed to die with Crota. It felt like more of a relief than an accomplishment for me. I've cleared HM CE enough to have all the raid primaries and I have no desire to set foot in that encounter again, maybe once I'm level 33 if I still want to get the necrochasm for something.

Really curious what HoW will bring, especially with the tighter timelines. I'm sure much more time was spent on VoG than CE and it shows.

Deku Tree

Cosmos: We doing NF + Weekly tonight? I need some more of this:

Otherwise I'm going to finish up HM Crota with my raid crew. Please let me know your plans.

Top Bottom