• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daemul

ugh this NF is not easy at all >.>

It was easy to solo before they made soloing NF's and weekly's harder, which led to me just completely stopping to do the weekly strikes, since I really don't like having to do them with other people, aka randoms.

It was a hard decision at first since at the time I was still looking to complete my exotic collection with the Helm of Saint 14 and Thunderlord, but I decided to just rely on the will of RNGesus to give them to me through other means. RNGesus thankfully did decide to bless me by giving me the Helm from an exotic engram I bought from Xur, and giving me the Thunderlord by having it drop for me at Crota earlier today.

Thank you RNGesus
EWmof.gif

Thrak360

Neo Member
Are there any recommendations on a good place to farm fusion rifle kills in the current Nightfall? This is for the Pocket Infinity exotic bounty. Thanks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Are there any recommendations on a good place to farm fusion rifle kills in the current Nightfall? This is for the Pocket Infinity exotic bounty. Thanks.
hmm. the first room with all the waves is perfect for it... do you have a plan c? go to town

Bradach

Why is it that rare exotics seem to fall over and over again for some people and never for others?
If it truly were random then there would surely be a much better spread of drops than there seems to be. Once gjallerhorn or hawkmoon, for example, falls for someone it seems likely that it will continue to fall for them for some reason, even up into double digits, whereas others who play apparently just as often don't get it.
From my own perspective i've finished CE 3 times on normal. I got a weapon each time I finished the raid. 2 of them were the same fusion rifle. There's something fishy about the loot drops in this game. Is my account doomed to get this fusion rifle over and over!!

phen0m24

Why is it that rare exotics seem to fall over and over again for some people and never for others?
If it truly were random then there would surely be a much better spread of drops than there seems to be. Once gjallerhorn or hawkmoon, for example, falls for someone it seems likely that it will continue to fall for them for some reason, even up into double digits, whereas others who play apparently just as often don't get it.
From my own perspective i've finished CE 3 times on normal. I got a weapon each time I finished the raid. 2 of them were the same fusion rifle. There's something fishy about the loot drops in this game. Is my account doomed to get this fusion rifle over and over!!

My first 3 CE I got the fusion rifle.
I think my next 3 CE I got the Black Hammer.
My first 5 or 6 hard CE I got the Word of Crota.
My most recent 3 HM CE I have gotten the Fang each time.

In short, hang in there. Your time will come.

Edit: I seem to get different loot when I raid with different people. Don't know how true this is for all of us, but I've always thought that was interesting.

Reset day is so exciting.

Destiny has been very exciting over the past 2 weeks!

-The weapon balancing
-Using shotguns and pulse rifles for the first time
-Completing the exotic armour collection
-Getting 1 weapon away from all exotic weapons (RED DEATH!!!!!! WHENNNN)
-The companion app inventory management
-Reset!!!
-Xur goodies! (Got my last 2 exotic armour pieces needed to finish the collection last Friday - Arachnid and Skull)
-Heavy ammo fixed!
-Weekly matchmaking
-12 new items maxed out (Secret Handshake, Hunter CE Helmet, better rolled Warlock CE Chest Piece, Swordbreaker, BadJuJu, Mask of the Third Man, Skull of Dire Amarakara, Three Little Words, Universal Remote, Apotheosis Veil, Oversoul Edict, Don't Touch Me)
-Inferno PvP mode

Good times with Destiny!

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I really want to like you, Three Little Words, but your fire rate and oddly obstructive sight construction (who thought putting metal blinders on this thing was a good idea?) is making it really difficult.

Shito

That's random for you. ^^
3 samples are not nearly a high enough population to start detecting flaws or weights in a RNG function: it can very well happen that you get 3 or more times the same drop totally randomly.

That's not how random works.

As humans we have a hard time comprehending random because we like to believe that Random=Fair and Balanced, and that might be true in the grand scheme of things, but on a user by user basis, you won't see this.

Thrak360

Neo Member
hmm. the first room with all the waves is perfect for it... do you have a plan c? go to town
No Vex, no Plan C. Best I've got is Murmur and solar Light/Beware. I'm expecting to spend a long time chipping away at 200 kills, have to do it with Legendary weapon, best I've got.

Bradach

That's random for you. ^^
3 samples are not nearly a high enough population to start detecting flaws or weights in a RNG function: it can very well happen that you get 3 or more times the same drop totally randomly.

i realise that my small sample isn't enough to flag any issues but you've played it a lot. Do you feel it is truely random?

I played a NF with a gaffer last week and he got his 8th hawkmoon! I see posts in this thread all the time from people who play a lot who have never gotten a hawkmoon. It just seems like its not random to me

stb

Ha! Thanks for immortalizing my scrubbiness in gif from! Glad to play with a group that can all laugh it off in good fun.

The GIF cracks me up because it looks more like a football hit than a swipe the thrall is doing to you. I wish the game did more rag doll-y animations for stuff like that; it woulda looked like a brutal shoulder tackle which would have amplified the amusement.

That's not how random works.

As humans we have a hard time comprehending random because we like to believe that Random=Fair and Balanced, and that might be true in the grand scheme of things, but on a user by user basis, you won't see this.

This is true, but it also looks like Bungie is using weighted RNG rather than pure randoms RNG

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No Vex, no Plan C. Best I've got is Murmur and solar Light/Beware. I'm expecting to spend a long time chipping away at 200 kills, have to do it with Legendary weapon, best I've got.
Arc Murmur will do you just fine. Just help people out with their Nightfalls and offer to do most of the work, lol

Shito

i realise that my small sample isn't enough to flag any issues but you've played it a lot. Do you feel it is truely random?

I played a NF with a gaffer last week and he got his 8th hawkmoon! I see posts in this thread all the time from people who play a lot who have never gotten a hawkmoon. It just seems like its not random to me
To me yeah it does seem like it's a true random.
They MAY be using a slightly weighted RNG, but even that I'm not sure.

This is true, but it also looks like Bungie is using weighted RNG rather than pure randoms RNG
We would need some very significant data sample to check this. I know we sometimes get a percentage of how many people own which exotic, but they are flawed because of Xur; we would need the same thing for raid drops to start having a better look at things.

Well, it depends on where the drops are coming from.

Certain locations for Exotic drops seem to be weighted towards Dark Below exotics, but not many.

Crucible, Vault of Glass, and the Nightfall all seem to be pretty evenly handing out Exotics. Crota's End seems to toss out Dragon's Breath and No Land Beyond a bit more frequently.

My point was still this: Roll a 100 sided dice. No matter how many times you roll it, you still only have a 1% chance to land on the 100. You could roll it 500 times and never land on 100. Someone else could roll it 100 times and land on 100 three times. That's RNG.

Edit: Top of the Page. Who wants to see a 9 year old photo of Kor and his 52" TV he still uses to play Destiny?

Nope he does that sometimes. Personally I believe its due to the disconnect patch that cause scrota to get up faster. And how turning invisible when adds agro on you, causes them to attack your last location as well.

Hahaha yea normally I get away with that but he seemed to swipe as he was standing up. Stupid Scrota. I approached him a second too late anyways

Shito

Kor of Memory's example is a good one.
What is important to understand is that random does not care at all about previous rolls. Every new roll gives every possible outcome the same chance than before. This is what we have trouble understanding, because we always want to put it into perspective with what we got on the previous ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom