• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT18| CA$H-4-CROTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not how random works.

As humans we have a hard time comprehending random because we like to believe that Random=Fair and Balanced, and that might be true in the grand scheme of things, but on a user by user basis, you won't see this.

I'm sure we only hear the squeaky wheels, but it's hard seeing so many people with 1 in a million type rolls where you get 10 of one thing, and 0 of so many others. NLB and Dragons Breath having a higher weight than other exotics doesn't help the perception.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Arc Murmur will do you just fine. Just help people out with their Nightfalls and offer to do most of the work, lol
Thanks. I'll just check out that "hack 3 mesh" area solo and see what I can accomplish. If I leave the Nightfall area, anywhere else with level 30s that respawn?

stb

i realise that my small sample isn't enough to flag any issues but you've played it a lot. Do you feel it is truely random?

I played a NF with a gaffer last week and he got his 8th hawkmoon! I see posts in this thread all the time from people who play a lot who have never gotten a hawkmoon. It just seems like its not random to me

Some of the research-lite reddit has done indicates that *getting* a legendary/exotic drop seems to be random, but what it is definitely has weighting, at least at some drops (e.g. deathsinger, VoG drops for things like Foil and Timepiece).

Some gaffers (myself included) do feel that there may be some sort of ghost in the machine regarding how their seeding works that skews what drops end up being based on some factor.

For example, I get an unusual number of scout rifles, but my exotic weapons have been a great distribution (I'm only missing 3 exotic weapons despite only playing one character, and only for ~250 hours of actual game time). Exotic armor has been interesting though, as my Titan has received every warlock exotic armor except for 3, as *drops* (none purchased from Xur).

As Shito mentions, the scouts and warlock exotic armor absolutely could just be statistical noise, but there seem to be an unusual number of anecdotes like mine even in the small sampling that DGAF represents.

tl:dr I can't prove it, but I don't think it's purely random, or even as "random" as it's possible for man-made system to be. I think they're monkeying with what drops end up being, whether they intended to or not.

Edit: Top of the Page. Who wants to see a 9 year old photo of Kor and his 52" TV he still uses to play Destiny?
Whoa! Your avatar is your face! who is that imposter!

Hahaha yea normally I get away with that but he seemed to swipe as he was standing up. Stupid Scrota. I approached him a second too late anyways
I am sure every single person that runs the sword, has had that happen :/ Personally I always blink strike too early after dropping the sword so I have the "invisible" hands which doesnt count for blink strike. Or get corner behind him and auto aim causes me to hit him when I try to R1 away.

Thanks. I'll just check out that "hack 3 mesh" area solo and see what I can accomplish. If I leave the Nightfall area, anywhere else with level 30s that respawn?
I would bail on the Strike portion altogether. Head back towards The Steppes from The Divide, I think the area is called Dock 13. Several Fallen hanging out there.

From there, go to the Lunar Complex, tons of lvl 30 Hive and Fallen. Rinse/repeat back and forth, no fear of getting booted back to orbit if you get killed.

old_russia_earth_map2jlui0.jpg

Whoa! Your avatar is your face! who is that imposter!
What's funny is I barely recognize "that guy" up there. 9 years ago is a long time. I was 2 years into a 6 year active duty military contract there. My physical health is actually a lot better now and I've had LASIK so no more glasses.

That said, I love my TV. It has served me well for 9 years. I actually swapped it out for 2 whole days last Xmas for an LED 55" but the response time on the LED was terrible, so I brought back my LCD and felt guilty for trying to get rid of him, especially since I've never had any problems.

What's funny is I barely recognize "that guy" up there. 9 years ago is a long time. I was 2 years into a 6 year active duty military contract there. My physical health is actually a lot better now and I've had LASIK so no more glasses.

That said, I love my TV. It has served me well for 9 years. I actually swapped it out for 2 whole days last Xmas for an LED 55" but the response time on the LED was terrible, so I brought back my LCD and felt guilty for trying to get rid of him, especially since I've never had any problems.
I like my black framed ray bans, personally I feel they are apart of me :p

I never asked for this.
Also, is LASIK worth it?
Yes from everyone I heard that got it. But I wont do it.. I like my black framed ray bans too much as mention above!

LTWood12

This IGN Destiny podcast, good grief they say so many things that are incorrect, and they say them so matter-of-factly.

"Xur has definitely sold Praxic Fire before this"

I never asked for this.
Also, is LASIK worth it?

For me? Fuck yes. But I can see how it is context for every person.

Non Destiny conversation:

I needed glasses at age 14. No big deal, but I struggled greatly with Contacts, so I never wore them, and just stuck to my glasses.

I did that until I was 27. Just before my 27th birthday I was planning a canoe trip with a bunch of friends and I knew that glasses just weren't an option. If we tipped over just once, I would be blind and dead weight. It would ruin the whole trip. So I forced myself to wear contacts. That lasted all of 11 months. The entire time I was wearing contacts I was doing LASIK research. Trying to figure out if it was better to go thru my insurance, or on my own (I paid for it myself in the end).

What is interesting is that because LASIK is not a normally insurance covered procedure, the market has reacted appropriately and LASIK prices drop every year. I ended up paying $850 an eye. Everything said and done $2120. That included eye drops for before/after the procedure, special glasses I had to wear in the shower and to bed for a couple of weeks, and a years worth of eye doctor appointments for check ups.

That said, I'm no longer spending money on glasses/contacts, and I've become much more physical. I've run several half marathons as well as tons of 5Ks and 10Ks.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I used to be 20/400. Now I'm 20/20 in my left and 20/25 in my right.

My wife got it, she was so happy to finally be rid of glasses. Plus, I got to watch the doctors peel back the top layer of her eyeball to fire lasers into it, which was cool if not a little icky.

Man that process is super intense. Like you can't feel them cutting open your eye, but you can feel them cutting open your eye. It is amazing that you can literally sit up seconds after the surgery, and be asked if you can read the clock on the far side of the room. It's an overwhelming feeling to be able to say yes.

I needed glasses at age 14. No big deal, but I struggled greatly with Contacts, so I never wore them, and just stuck to my glasses.

I did that until I was 27. Just before my 27th birthday I was planning a canoe trip with a bunch of friends and I knew that glasses just weren't an option. If we tipped over just once, I would be blind and dead weight. It would ruin the whole trip. So I forced myself to wear contacts. That lasted all of 11 months. The entire time I was wearing contacts I was doing LASIK research. Trying to figure out if it was better to go thru my insurance, or on my own (I paid for it myself in the end).

What is interesting is that because LASIK is not a normally insurance covered procedure, the market has reacted appropriately and LASIK prices drop every year. I ended up paying $850 an eye. Everything said and done $2120. That included eye drops for before/after the procedure, special glasses I had to wear in the shower and to bed for a couple of weeks, and a years worth of eye doctor appointments for check ups.

That said, I'm no longer spending money on glasses/contacts, and I've become much more physical. I've run several half marathons as well as tons of 5Ks and 10Ks.

Man that process is super intense. Like you can't feel them cutting open your eye, but you can feel them cutting open your eye.

I'm hoping to have it done this summer, but I've been told I need LASEK, which involves a longer recovery time. I have heard that you get floaters after the surgery though. Which kinda sucks. Also I have astigmatism which means it's gonna cost quite a bit. Maybe double what you paid

Man that process is super intense. Like you can't feel them cutting open your eye, but you can feel them cutting open your eye.
I don't know if I could have done it, I was very impressed with her cool resolve. It was about a month before we got married, so she may have had other things to occupy her mind with. I may have freaked right out at the idea of having my eye cut open.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Anyone still sharing the Gorgon checkpoint by chance? I foolishly fell asleep before the reset last night.

I'm hoping to have it done this summer, but I've been told I need LASEK, which involves a longer recovery time. I have heard that you get floaters after the surgery though. Which kinda sucks. Also I have astigmatism which means it's gonna cost quite a bit. Maybe double what you paid

The floaters thing is usually a possibility that comes along with older equipment, same with night time star bursts. Maybe your facility isn't quite up to date? Is there another one near by you could go to as an option? I had to drive for 2 hours to get to my facility, but fuck if I was going to let someone use outdated technology to slice open my eyeballs.

I don't know if I could have done it, I was very impressed with her cool resolve. It was about a month before we got married, so she may have had other things to occupy her mind with. I may have freaked right out at the idea of having my eye cut open.

I'm not afraid to admit that when I laid down to have it done, they gave me this teddy bear the size of a 3 year old. I squeezed the fuck out of that thing, pretty much during the entire 12 minute procedure. By the time I was done, I was so clenched, that I went super light headed after I stood up at the end, and I pretty much passed out for 5 minutes.

LTWood12

Man that process is super intense. Like you can't feel them cutting open your eye, but you can feel them cutting open your eye. It is amazing that you can literally sit up seconds after the surgery, and be asked if you can read the clock on the far side of the room. It's an overwhelming feeling to be able to say yes.

Wow that's awesome. My vision isn't terrible, but I do wear glasses to drive at night and whenever I play games, watch movies, etc. I really should probably wear them all the time, but I don't like to for some reason. I'm REAL finniky about my eyes, and contacts aren't something I think I could do. But Lasik seems like a great alternative.

Thrak360

Neo Member
I would bail on the Strike portion altogether. Head back towards The Steppes from The Divide, I think the area is called Dock 13. Several Fallen hanging out there.

From there, go to the Lunar Complex, tons of lvl 30 Hive and Fallen. Rinse/repeat back and forth, no fear of getting booted back to orbit if you get killed.
Thanks squid. Very familiar with those areas, I'll check it out.

Wow that's awesome. My vision isn't terrible, but I do wear glasses to drive at night and whenever I play games, watch movies, etc. I really should probably wear them all the time, but I don't like to for some reason. I'm REAL finniky about my eyes, and contacts aren't something I think I could do. But Lasik seems like a great alternative.

I figure I was spending $300 a year on glasses, lenses, contacts, eye drops, whatever else.

LASIK is said to last a good 20 years. If I get 7 out of it, I'll have saved money, and lived a happier life while doing it. Hard to argue with something like that.

ethomaz

Banned
About bad view :p

I did the LASIK surgery... fast, easy and after the surgery I already had 100% view.

I didn't need rest and in the other day I could work just fine (I just needed to use solar glasses to protect from UV).

I never had any issue... my doctor said my cicatrization was pretty fast too... no photophobia or eyes irritation.

I never felt so good choosing to make the surgery... it was the right decision... I recommend because your life will really chance, even the color are more lively after the surgery.

PS. My doctor said I will just need to use glasses again when I got really really old (after 50) because the degeneration of the body.

Edit - I paid R$ 2400 for the two eyes here in Brazil... at the time the dollar was R$1,70... so about $1500.

The floaters thing is usually a possibility that comes along with older equipment, same with night time star bursts. Maybe your facility isn't quite up to date? Is there another one near by you could go to as an option? I had to drive for 2 hours to get to my facility, but fuck if I was going to let someone use outdated technology to slice open my eyeballs.

I'm not afraid to admit that when I laid down to have it done, they gave me this teddy bear the size of a 3 year old. I squeezed the fuck out of that thing, pretty much during the entire 12 minute procedure. By the time I was done, I was so clenched, that I went super light headed after I stood up at the end, and I pretty much passed out for 5 minutes.

Na, they are up to date... That was what I heard from randoms. It's actually from a thread on here a while ago. Ultralase are the most up to date around here as far as I know

Anyone still sharing the Gorgon checkpoint by chance? I foolishly fell asleep before the reset last night.

I can load it up. PS4 is the same as my gaf name.

p.s I actually like wearing glasses. Plus my black framed ray bans contribute to my stereotypical science nerd appearances which I somehow achieved without realizing :p

I don't need glasses yet but my vision is deteriorating and the though of wearing glasses is really off-putting.
It's good to know that when the time comes I can get something done to fix them.

ethomaz

Banned
p.s I actually like wearing glasses. Plus my black framed ray bans contribute to my stereotypical science nerd appearances which I somehow achieved without realizing :p
I liked to use glasses too... I always thought I was beautiful with glasses but my doctor convinced me to do the surgery.

I call tell you I never saw really really great with glasses and I just realized that after the surgery... It is completely different how lively the world looks with a 100% view and no glasses ever give me this happiness.

I don't need glasses yet but my vision is deteriorating and the though of wearing glasses is really off-putting.
It's good to know that when the time comes I can get something done to fix them.

Just note that while LASIK doesn't really have a cutoff, it is usually recommended against the older you are. Like, every year past 30 is a little bit more they don't want you to do it.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I can load it up. PS4 is the same as my gaf name.

Awesome! Thanks so much man - super helpful getting the checkpoint while we're crunching at work. I'm joining in now.

Was trying to catch up with the thread and it's kind of depressing that it's reset day and everyone is getting dupes cause everybody has everything already. Used to be different

Kor of Memory's example is a good one.
What is important to understand is that random does not care at all about previous rolls. Every new roll gives every possible outcome the same chance than before. This is what we have trouble understanding, because we always want to put it into perspective with what we got on the previous ones.

But nobody knows if it's completely random or not. It's pointless to say these things if you're not sure. We have no idea how complex the system is

Looking to start a fresh VoG hard run in approximately an hour. We can grab the chest/do Atheon x3 if wanted.
Add yourself to the list, experienced and inexperienced are all welcome!

1. TearsOfBlood
2. EJRobinson90
3. Reserved

I'll be sending out invites around that time as well.

ethomaz

Banned
4th Horseman

All I need from Exotics... how is the best way to get it? :p

From Legendaries...

#ForeverNoBlackHamner
#ForecerNoPretoriamFoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom