• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Hawkian! I am thinking about getting DS2 on PS4 but people say it's much worse than DS1 or Demons. Is it really a much worse game IYO? I didn't play either DS1 or Demons and I own DS1 but I would prefer to play a PS4 game to a PS3 game because graphics and next gen and etc.

"Much worse" is a bit overstating. It is the weakest game in terms of overall world/level design and the bosses are a bit "samey", but I enjoyed ot a lot. The game systems around multiplayer coop/PvP are by far the best, so it ended up being the one I played the most despite being weaker on the PvE as a whole.

The DLC fixes a lot of the issues. Excellent level design in those. A couple stinker bosses, but also some amazing ones as well.

stb

Same here, knocking at the door of 800 hours and I've had every other gun several times over. (Exotic anyway, still haven't gotten Light of the abyss, timepiece, or foil. )

image.jpg

RNG cannot be random... Just can't be.

A guy in our group got LotA back-to-back-to-back last night. 2 people got Plan C on the same Crota kill drop.

I concur that it isn't "random", even as random as computer-generated "random" can be. I'm absolutely convinced they're over thinking the randomness, resulting in these detectable ripples. I think it's using some character-based seeding (PSN name, class, race, gender, create date, etc., or some combination of them) that causes streaking like your dearth of LotA, my glut of scout rifles, the guy in my group getting LotA 3x in 3 runs, some people getting 14 Ghorns, etc.

I'm aware the "that's random for you" defense force will shake their heads at this post, but without statistically significant, rigorously collected data, BOTH theories are just theory.

It's been years since I did legitimate statistics, so I won't embarrass myself with failing at mathing it out, but my gut is telling me that it's absurdly improbable that the same exact group would have a guy get 3x LotA AND two people get the same exotic in one drop, all during the same 3 runs. We also had 2 separate people get 2 helmets each from the same Atheon kill last night.

Shenanigans!

Impala26

Normal gorgon
Normal Atheon
Hard gorgon
Hard Atheon
Normal Deathsinger
Normal Crota
Hard Crota

Alright. There's one for the Nightfall too, right?

My next question would be what would be your suggested weekly runs for someone who doesn't have a whole lot of time to commit each week? For example, would it be better to run at least both normal raids for one character, or a particular raid/difficulty across two or three characters, or...?

E92 M3

As someone I played w/ last night suggested, there should be a Titan exotic that allows at least you (and maybe teammates?) to shoot from inside the bubble. Would probably be too OP though.

Would be cool and unique at least and really not that OP. At least it won't be another exotic that's boring and vanilla.

House of Wolves needs to drop soon, even some damn details or something.

I miss being more active in the community and just playing the game.

Yeah, we need some exciting details besides having to wait 1 week for Thursday. Unfortunately, we're not getting jack, though.

The game, or community rather, are certainly showing fatigue. Content injection would do wonders. I have accomplished about everything I want too now. The only reason to play is to fill out my Pokedex and collect the last 4 Exotics I need. Maybe Xur can hook me up.

Bloodborne is the perfect diversion for the downtime.

The game, or community rather, are certainly showing fatigue. Content injection would do wonders. I have accomplished about everything I want too now. The only reason to play is to fill out my Pokedex and collect the last 4 Exotics I need. Maybe Xur can hook me up.

Bloodborne is the perfect diversion for the downtime.

I have been playing Hotline Miami 2, FF15 Demo and Dragon Age Inquisition.

I have all exotic armour and weapons, and have leveled up all the ones I want to use. I have a crap ton of consumables and materials.

I love the game, and even did some dailies over the past week, which I never do, just because I enjoy it.

Even the patch would hold me over for a while. Just give us SOMETHING! It's been well over three months without any new content in this game.

LifEndz

As someone I played w/ last night suggested, there should be a Titan exotic that allows at least you (and maybe teammates?) to shoot from inside the bubble. Would probably be too OP though.

Sounds intriguing. Allowing teammates to do that would def be OP, but I could see letting the Titan do it. If they did it I could see them limiting the amount of damage you can do from shooting while in the bubble just so it doesn't get ridiculous.

I have all exotic armour and weapons, and have leveled up all the ones I want to use. I have a crap ton of consumables and materials.

I love the game, and even did some dailies over the past week, which I never do, just because I enjoy it.

I am pretty much tapped out on leveling crap too. I do however have a deficiency in mats. It sould be noce to build a stockpile for HoW, but it isn't critical. Destinatiojln mats in particular, have less than 50 of each.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey Hawkian! I am thinking about getting DS2 on PS4 but people say it's much worse than DS1 or Demons. Is it really a much worse game IYO? I didn't play either DS1 or Demons and I own DS1 but I would prefer to play a PS4 game to a PS3 game because graphics and next gen and etc.
ha, it's my personal favorite of the three, even without having touched the DLC yet... but I consider them all to be very close in quality. I really like what DS2 did with combat/dual-wielding, which is how I always play so it appealed to me a lot personally. My favorite bosses so far were in Dark Souls and overall it has the most impressive design with a connected world, but some of my favorite individual levels are in Demon's Souls.

ocean

Banned
Black Hammer is insane. So glad I finally have it.

Ran Devil's Lair and brutalized Devil Walker. But The main victim was Sepkis- oh man. Non stop sniper DPS. I want to get Atheon now, I'll try to find a group later.

a full team getting crits with no reloading should be enough for a one portal kill right?

Alright. There's one for the Nightfall too, right?

My next question would be what would be your suggested weekly runs for someone who doesn't have a whole lot of time to commit each week? For example, would it be better to run at least both normal raids for one character, or a particular raid/difficulty across two or three characters, or...?

Depends on what you're looking for, cause normal and hard have different loot tables.

Is it the same with crucible or only applies for vanguard?

What a bummer though, didn't know that :(

If you equip faction class item, both vanguard and crucible rep go to the faction.

Impala26

It's been years since I did legitimate statistics, so I won't embarrass myself with failing at mathing it out, but my gut is telling me that it's absurdly improbable that the same exact group would have a guy get 3x LotA AND two people get the same exotic in one drop, all during the same 3 runs. We also had 2 separate people get 2 helmets each from the same Atheon kill last night.

Shenanigans!

The last time I did VoG, three of us got the VoG class item (can't recall the name--the holographic looking one) from the same chest. That's two titans and a hunter. It was only our SECOND VoG EVER, so I definitely think there's some merit to theorizing there's more at work regarding the Loot RNG than pure, utter randomness.

Is it the same with crucible or only applies for vanguard?

What a bummer though, didn't know that :(

Barring Eris Morn bounties/reputation, if you're wearing a faction class item (Dead Orbit, Future War Cult, New Monarchy) all the reputation you earn will go to that particular faction instead of Vanguard or Crucible. That said, you'll still earn Vanguard/Crucible marks as normal though. Also ranking the factions (including Vanguard, Crucible) up to level 3 (and each level beyond) will net you a care package of random legendary weapons/gear. Ranking up is also how you obtain the Vanguard or Crucible Commendations, but only the Vanguard gives Vanguard Commendations; Crucible and the three other factions give Crucible Commendations.

I remember someone saying that. It would be cool for PvE, but obviously wouldn't work for Crucible. Maybe it could be something like the Relic from Vault of Glass, where a Titan (or anyone, really) could hold it as their super while others shoot through the one-way barrier.

ich00

Ran Devil's Lair and brutalized Devil Walker. But The main victim was Sepkis- oh man. Non stop sniper DPS. I want to get Atheon now, I'll try to find a group later.

a full team getting crits with no reloading should be enough for a one portal kill right?

I would think so, I know i've been in groups where we have downed him in one portal, I'm thinking a combo of Black Hammers, Ice Breakers and WoL should be able to do it. I think last time I did it, we had to add in some shots after a team was teleported a 2nd time, but he was down before they were out.

Deku Tree

"Much worse" is a bit overstating. It is the weakest game in terms of overall world/level design and the bosses are a bit "samey", but I enjoyed ot a lot. The game systems around multiplayer coop/PvP are by far the best, so it ended up being the one I played the most despite being weaker on the PvE as a whole.

The DLC fixes a lot of the issues. Excellent level design in those. A couple stinker bosses, but also some amazing ones as well.

ha, it's my personal favorite of the three, even without having touched the DLC yet... but I consider them all to be very close in quality. I really like what DS2 did with combat/dual-wielding, which is how I always play so it appealed to me a lot personally. My favorite bosses so far were in Dark Souls and overall it has the most impressive design with a connected world, but some of my favorite individual levels are in Demon's Souls.

Thanks! I think I'm going to go ahead and pick up DS2 on PS4 next week then.... I'm not worried about "samey" and it sounds very fun and it should have a good online community around launch. I should be finished with my first BB play through before that...

E92 M3

Bungie may have done something to checkpoint sharing, we're not able to save and pass checkpoints correctly... :(

That sounds too random....might just be the servers.

--

Speaking of DaS2 PVP - trolling people with the dual crossbows firing electric bolts was the best thing ever. I'd chill in the bell tower and take on 2 people at once. Would spend hours doing that. Was a ton of fun.

Invading was also very rewarding.

Impala26

Depends on what you're looking for, cause normal and hard have different loot tables.

Hmm... I'll look into it, but could you give me a brief synopsis? Certain runs better for gear, others better for weapons?

Like, the only one I really know is that Hard VoG can drop the Vex Mythoclast... :-/

Homeboyd

I remember someone saying that. It would be cool for PvE, but obviously wouldn't work for Crucible. Maybe it could be something like the Relic from Vault of Glass, where a Titan (or anyone, really) could hold it as their super while others shoot through the one-way barrier.
Give me your best unique exotic upgrade idea, weapon or armor, doesn't matter.

Mine would be:

A weapon upgrade that procs upon a "kill shot" that causes the enemy to briefly forget which side he's fighting for and will shoot at his friendlies until he dies.

yep

unless there's someone who thinks the best option is shooting the horn screwing everyone else up :p

Deku Tree

Well Deej said in the last weekly update...

"The next update for Destiny will prepare us for the arrival of the House of Wolves..."

That is probably a meaningless statement but hopefully the patch comes soon and hopefully this statement means they will start talking about HoW after the patch.

I am happy to reduce a lot my Destiny playtime for an extended period. There are a lot of other very good games that I also want to play.

Hmm... I'll look into it, but could you give me a brief synopsis? Certain runs better for gear, others better for weapons?

Like, the only one I really know is that Hard VoG can drop the Vex Mythoclast... :-/

Praetorian Foil
Fatebringer
Praedyths timepiece
Hezen vengeance
Vex

All 5 are hard VoG drops only.

If you equip faction class item, both vanguard and crucible rep go to the faction.

Barring Eris Morn bounties/reputation, if you're wearing a faction class item (Dead Orbit, Future War Cult, New Monarchy) all the reputation you earn will go to that particular faction instead of Vanguard or Crucible. That said, you'll still earn Vanguard/Crucible marks as normal though. Also ranking the factions (including Vanguard, Crucible) up to level 3 (and each level beyond) will net you a care package of random legendary weapons/gear. Ranking up is also how you obtain the Vanguard or Crucible Commendations, but only the Vanguard gives Vanguard Commendations; Crucible and the three other factions give Crucible Commendations.

Yeah just realised that. I'm still at level 0 for both, would have focused more on the basics had I knew that.

Thanks! I think I'm going to go ahead and pick up DS2 on PS4 next week then.... I'm not worried about "samey" and it sounds very fun and it should have a good online community around launch. I should be finished with my first BB play through before that...

The best part will be playing in 60fps. It is a gamechanger. That is one thing BB is disappointing me with. The gameplay suffers from it.

Wonder how much better Destiny would play at 60 fps. Shooting is already great.

E92 M3

Give me your best unique exotic upgrade idea, weapon or armor, doesn't matter.

Mine would be:

A weapon upgrade that procs upon a "kill shot" that causes the enemy to briefly forget which side he's fighting for and will shoot at his friendlies until he dies.

Like I mentioned earlier, a heavy sniper that has X-ray vision and shoots like a cannon with a reload after every shot.

noomi

The best part will be playing in 60fps. It is a gamechanger. That is one thing BB is disappointing me with. The gameplay suffers from it.

I would really love a 60FPS Destiny... add a keyboard and mouse to that too please .... *drool*

Deku Tree

OMG TLoS Remastered at 60fps was so good... I am ready for 60fps DS2!!!

PS4 should require all games be 60fps!

I would really love a 60FPS Destiny... add a keyboard and mouse to that too please .... *drool*

It would be hard to resist a PC port of this game. That would be the best of all things. However, losing much of the community would hurt. Depends on how many others would jump ship. Although, if I had to start from scratch it would be a no go.

RedFury

It would be hard to resist a PC port of this game. That would be the best of all things. However, losing much of the community would hurt. Depends on how many others would jump ship. Although, if I had to start from scratch it would be a no go.
Yeah I'd jump at a pc port ONLY if you could go back and forth like the PS3-PS4-[PC].

phen0m24

Come on there is no stutter or lag... LOL
Thanks again for your help last night. Time got away from me there but that was really fun. I need to farm insight to ensure additional co-op hijinks.

Okay, Bungie did good. Put these dance moves in the game.

Don't I know you from somewhere? :p

Whats up DGAF? Long time no see. (BB sunk it's claws deep) I'm gonna be jumping on destiny later to today if anyone needs a hand with anything. Maybe even some crucible. Oddly enough I had a dream last night that I was playing Control on Blind Watch and the team was getting yelled at by a gaf'er cause the opposing team was about to take C from us.

ocean

Banned
Anyone think there'll be HoW news tomorrow? Sorely needed... Whatever their plans were I hope they add a lot more exotics. Like at least 8-10 new weapons.

When TDB launched most of us still didn't have all the Vanilla exotics. By now a lot of us have all the vanilla + TDB gear. If HoW is as starved as TDB in weapon variety and quality the interest spike will be short-lived.

I didn't mind the PS exclusive strikes at launch but now I believe they're bringing the game down. If HoW brings another PS strike that'll mean there's 3 strikes in the game that won't join the Weekly rotation.

There's few strikes as it is. Having even fewer as part of NF rotation makes them that much more repetitive :/

Namikaze1

Nearly two weeks without playing Destiny. Will be two weeks this Friday.

Feels..... good.

I miss nothing about it. Nothing.

I missed you guys. ;__;

Edit: nearly two weeks with a couple posts since then and I'm still in the top 3 posters?! This thread is dead. Thought I would be push down to like #8 or something.

Also, HoW news please!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Have a run after work tomorrow so I had to push the Newbie Raid back a half hour. Should be home in time for a 9:30 start though.

If you attempt to sign up for an activity and find it already full, but would like to be put on the list as an Alt if someone cannot make it, please send me a PM here on GAF or a PSN message (ID is Hawkian).

Thursday - 4/2 - 9:30PM EST - Crota's End Newbie Raid - Sign Up Here (4 spots left)

These are weekly raids available to all, but intended for newbies. Bring your highest leveled character, your best weapon, and your most patient self! All encounters will be explained (quickly, but still) as though it was a brand new group, so please be willing to listen. There is no pressure to understand anything before having it explained, and no pointing fingers when things break down. We will laugh at ourselves when we wipe, and then do better the next attempt.

Raids alternate each week between the Vault of Glass and Crota's End.

Minimum level for Vault of Glass Normal is 26.
Minimum level for Crota's End is 30.

Sunday- 4/5 - 9:00PM EST - Sunday Sword School - Sign Up Here (5 spots left)

Swordbearer practice and technique for taking down Crota, as well as tips and preparation for Hard Mode. Please be familiar with the basic mechanics of the encounter. Get your hands on the sword in a stress-free environment!
We'll establish an order and have a different person take up the sword each time, wiping before ogres. After everyone has had a shot, we'll maintain the rotation and go for the actual class kill.

No chalice! Come prepared with some method of healing yourself- preferably a helm with the "Infusion" perk. Other options include: Being a Titan (using your bubble heals you), Red Death/SUROS Regime, Life Steal on Voidwalker, Hungering Blade on Bladedancer.

Minimum level is 31.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Basically I guess my question is, is there any point to running Normal VoG if you're capable of running Hard VoG?
The Gorgon chest can be looted once on each difficulty. All the other loot chances are given two rolls if you simply do Hard first.

Basically I guess my question is, is there any point to running Normal VoG if you're capable of running Hard VoG?

Yea, if you're looking for particular weapons like Found Verdict, Praedyths revenge, corrective measure, atheons epilogue or vision of confluence; and double exotic change from gorgon and atheon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom