• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont see anything

Well, earlier when I logged on the characters were dancing.

Someone made a gif. Colors seem wierd though. Wasn't like that when I viewed it.

TcVWeDQ.gif

What finally got you it? Rare or Legendary Engram? I yearn for the day this happens to me. Congrats!

Legenday engram from ROC strike, I was farming for the Scorpio Miracle ship.

house_of_wolves_dlcocsyw.jpg

Well this sure looks like a captain. I wonder, will the HoW raid boss be an enlarged captain? Maybe urk could comment on that.

The archon priest have a unique model right? maybe Bungie will work based on him like they did with Crota based on a Knight (and Atheon from the Gate Lord)

Hung Wei Lo

Tuesday Night Raiding - "Wheat trom the Chaff" edition:

We were without Dave_6 (GTAV), GRIP (BB), and schwagger15 (not sure) this week, but were filled out by:
4) StereoType (CE and VoG)
5) Hung Wei Lo (CE and VoG)
6a) kreepmode (CE)
6b) RedFury (VoG)

CE:
- Apparently Dave, GRIP, and schwagger were holding us down, because we waltzed through the one full CE with no wipes (I think; at least no wipes up until Crota).
- the next two DS/Crota kills were pretty smooth, too
- captscience DID manage to commit his most spectacular suicide yet: blowing him self up with a rocket on a step. Not the back of GRIP's head. Not a rock at head height. A stair. *slow clap* Another one for the highlight reel, science. It can go right after "it's OK guys, I've got radiance..."
- captscience also had one Crota kill where one more hit would have killed him, but he couldn't get it off in time. We killed the Oversoul and managed to finish him off. Not as dramatic as last week's "IGNORE THE OVERSOUL! TAKE HIM DOWN!", but amusing, nonetheless.
- I pulled duplicate gloves for my warlock with a crappy stat and my 4th BH (sorry, #forevernobh people)
- Verde managed to get LotA back-to-back-to-back
- 2 people got Plan C in the same drop
- StereoType(?) got Thunderlord
- I think someone else (science) got No Shard Beyond
- I think HWL or kreepmode said they got some items they hadn't gotten before/needed

VoG:
- started from gorgons and ran it first try! (Further proof Dave, GRIP, and schwagger have been sandbagging us)
- once science managed to clear the jumping puzzle, we pretty quickly did GK and almost downed Atheon on the first portal
- aaaaand that's where we hit the wall
- the next 70-ish minutes was pretty pathetic/humorous: a few glitches spoiled runs, as did some overzealous rocketry (*cough*RedFury*cough*)
- once we killed Atheon the second time, the third one came pretty easy
- drops were weird
- numerous people got AE, VoC, PT
- I got my 3rd AE and 2nd VoC in the same drop
- 2 people got 2 helmets each in the same drop
- RedFury, ironically, got his second Ghorn

Please chime in if I missed any amusing tales or noteworthy drops!

(PS: I do hope the regulars realize I'm teasing. It WAS weird how easily we did CE, but I hope you can all gear up next week.We don't really think you're dead weight. Except GRIP; I'm really not sure why we carry him through this every week.)

Yup, definitely fun, and a great group! I'm glad I finally got the Corrective Measure - I'm hoping there'll be some sort of buff to make VOG weapons useable with higher level content...but still no black hammer :(

An amusing moment (for me anyway) was after a few glitchy runs in Atheon#2, we boldly claimed that "this is the one..." Out of the portal we come, and I epic Warlock floated to my oblivion

Lonely level 31 warlock looking for fun.

I like long strolls through the abyss, short leaps across a bridge section and ending a giant glass knight with a little Gjallarhorn action. Available for the next hour for some fun if anyone wants to play.

Jabronium

It feels weird not having the compulsion to knock out all my raids/NF's/weeklies immediately. I hope some HoW info is coming soon. Between Bloodborne, Pillars of Eternity, and Axiom Verge, Destiny is getting further and further from my mind for the first time since the "Alpha".

stuiggs07

Neo Member
Thanks for the adventure today Unstable, Ruthless et al. Probably the most eventful Destiny day I've ever had.

- First ever sword kill on Crota.
- Second Thunderlord.
- Motherfuckin' Fatebringer.
- Muppet labs investigating for what must have been at least 2 hours.
- Scrubbiness in abundance.
- Failing to cross the bridge like a boss.

And to top it all off, a the end of previously close brotherly relationship that quite frankly will probably never be repaired.

April fools motherfuckers.

FOR SCIENCE!

Cheers dude ;P

It feels weird not having the compulsion to knock out all my raids/NF's/weeklies immediately. I hope some HoW info is coming soon. Between Bloodborne, Pillars of Eternity, and Axiom Verge, Destiny is getting further and further from my mind for the first time since the "Alpha".

A week of Bloodborne was the reset I needed to enjoy again. Axiom is an amazing game.

Do we know this for sure?

It's not known for sure. Personally I still believe it's true; my "pet theory" is that Abyss and Bridge were the only phases given reasonable development work before they ran out of time. CE falls off a cliff after the bridge: no "Templar" mid-raid boss, Gorgons + jumps replaced by tiny Shrieker hall, then immediately dropped into "Gatekeeper" room (DS is GK phase of CE, not a boss fight). DS and Crota are half baked encounters that scream "production deadline!!!" to me.

No meaningful mechanical vocabulary is carried through, only 2 trivial ones: kill Shrieker to drop invisible wall during DS, kill Sword B to use sword on Crota. No weight of darkness, no lamps, no bridge forming, no Annihilator Totems, no Sword Bearers Curse, no GKeeper spawn on SBearer kill, no forced sword use by all team members, no add spawn progression based on phase progression (bridge), no kill Wizard to activate Shrieker or Liturgy of Death during Crota. Not everything should be built on of course but... something.
I haven't bitched about CE for a while, ha

Two related comments:

-Raid is only TDB area that was not glitched into prior to its official release. Obviously that doesn't prove it wasn't there somewhere though. I think all HoW strike and story missions have also been glitched into already, with no sign of The Arena. Having no playable space in the Reef might complicate this.

-There's something strange about the patch file sizes displayed for dowload in PSN. The TDB file said 2.44 GB but this wasn't necessarily the actual size. A more recent patch also said 2.44 GB but then the actual file was like 10 MB when it was shown downloading in Destiny itself (I think the last weapon balance patch). If anyone remembers the TDB size displayed in Destiny that would help support whether the file was large enough to reasonably contain the raid itself.

Deku Tree

It's not known for sure. Personally I still believe it's true; my "pet theory" is that Abyss and Bridge were the only phases given reasonable development work before they ran out of time. CE falls off a cliff after the bridge: no "Templar" mid-raid boss, Gorgons + jumps replaced by tiny Shrieker hall, then immediately dropped into "Gatekeeper" room (DS is GK phase of CE, not a boss fight). DS and Crota are half baked encounters that scream "production deadline!!!" to me.

No meaningful mechanical vocabulary is carried through, only 2 trivial ones: kill Shrieker to drop invisible wall during DS, kill Sword B to use sword on Crota. No weight of darkness, no lamps, no bridge forming, no Annihilator Totems, no Sword Bearers Curse, no GKeeper spawn on SBearer kill, no forced sword use by all team members, no add spawn progression based on phase progression (bridge), no kill Wizard to activate Shrieker or Liturgy of Death during Crota. Not everything should be built on of course but... something.
I haven't bitched about CE for a while, ha

Two related comments:

-Raid is only TDB area that was not glitched into prior to its official release. Obviously that doesn't prove it wasn't there somewhere though. I think all HoW strike and story missions have also been glitched into already, with no sign of The Arena. Having no playable space in the Reef might complicate this.

-There's something strange about the patch file sizes displayed for dowload in PSN. The TDB file said 2.44 GB but this wasn't necessarily the actual size. A more recent patch also said 2.44 GB but then the actual file was like 10 MB when it was shown downloading in Destiny itself (I think the last weapon balance patch). If anyone remembers the TDB size displayed in Destiny that would help support whether the file was large enough to reasonably contain the raid itself.

I think PS4 shows you the total download size of all patches ever for a specific game. That's the 2.44GB number for Destiny. TDB patch was over 2GB itself. You can also go and look at the size of the file actually being downloaded.

Like it showed over 2GB for the recent BB patch but that number included the day 1 patch and you only actually downloaded about 10MB.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Have a run after work tomorrow so I had to push the Newbie Raid back a half hour. Should be home in time for a 9:30 start though.

If you attempt to sign up for an activity and find it already full, but would like to be put on the list as an Alt if someone cannot make it, please send me a PM here on GAF or a PSN message (ID is Hawkian).

Thursday - 4/2 - 9:30PM EST - Crota's End Newbie Raid - Sign Up Here (4 spots left)

These are weekly raids available to all, but intended for newbies. Bring your highest leveled character, your best weapon, and your most patient self! All encounters will be explained (quickly, but still) as though it was a brand new group, so please be willing to listen. There is no pressure to understand anything before having it explained, and no pointing fingers when things break down. We will laugh at ourselves when we wipe, and then do better the next attempt.

Raids alternate each week between the Vault of Glass and Crota's End.

Minimum level for Vault of Glass Normal is 26.
Minimum level for Crota's End is 30.

Sunday- 4/5 - 9:00PM EST - Sunday Sword School - Sign Up Here (3 spots left)

Swordbearer practice and technique for taking down Crota, as well as tips and preparation for Hard Mode. Please be familiar with the basic mechanics of the encounter. Get your hands on the sword in a stress-free environment!
We'll establish an order and have a different person take up the sword each time, wiping before ogres. After everyone has had a shot, we'll maintain the rotation and go for the actual class kill.

No chalice! Come prepared with some method of healing yourself- preferably a helm with the "Infusion" perk. Other options include: Being a Titan (using your bubble heals you), Red Death/SUROS Regime, Life Steal on Voidwalker, Hungering Blade on Bladedancer.

Minimum level is 31.

A week of BB was the reset I needed to want to play another week of BB, lol. Chalice Dungeons so good. Axiom looks awesome but I doubt I'd play it anytime soon, hopefully it hits PS+ someday.

Caved in and bought axiom verge. I've gotten burned with a lot of games lately coming to Ps+ but whatever I guess. Doesn't hurt to support good games

Been 2 weeks since I launched Destiny and I probably won't be back until Comet. Not gonna spend another $20 on a half assed "expansion". Who knows, maybe if the raid is actually good I'll buy it.

Regarding BB, I'm almost done with my first playthrough and would love to do some chalice dungeons. Maybe once I'm high enough level we can co-op. I'm currently level 75

ocean

Banned
Hawk you should consider starting up a Crucible scrub school. Tips on good spots for each map, where people camp, pacing on when to push and when to stay back etc

Shirow

Banned
I think I've done hard crota only once even thou I have a 32 and two 31's... What's the "acceptable" level to do HM Crota usually?

Two related comments:

Just to hit this from all angles, can it be glitched into now that is "on disk"? I still can't believe they didn't have an entrance puzzle. Especially after the talk about low level players seeing legends trying to open the VoG.

ocean

Banned
Just to hit this from all angles, can it be glitched into now that is "on disk"? I still can't believe they didn't have an entrance puzzle. Especially after the talk about low level players seeing legends trying to open the VoG.
Capping 3 plates to have a Spire form while defending from enemies who can capture it back >>>>>>>>> touching a bridge and staying alive while bridge forms. VoG entrance is a magnificent and mechanically interesting intro to a raid.

VoG mechanics are so damn awesome. I still feel CE bridge is the only part of that raid that's up to VoG standards. Mirror sides of map with a bridge plate and totems and swords everyone uses and gatekeepers is still a lot of fun with a full team running legit.

To be fair the Abyss is a cool idea. I'd have liked to see some vestiges there and something more compelling than "stay alive" for bridge to form but it's cool anyways.

It just feels like there's something, like a mid boss, missing between bridge and DS.

GhaleonEB

Capping 3 plates to have a Spire form while defending from enemies who can capture it back >>>>>>>>> touching a bridge and staying alive while bridge forms. VoG entrance is a magnificent and mechanically interesting intro to a raid.

VoG mechanics are so damn awesome. I still feel CE bridge is the only part of that raid that's up to VoG standards. Mirror sides of map with a bridge plate and totems and swords everyone uses and gatekeepers is still a lot of fun with a full team running legit.

To be fair the Abyss is a cool idea. I'd have liked to see some vestiges there and something more compelling than "stay alive" for bridge to form but it's cool anyways.

It just feels like there's something, like a mid boss, missing between bridge and DS.

I feel like it didn't need another boss, but rather more breathing room between encounters. Just in terms of raw space / geometry, VoG is gargantuan as compared to the space in CE. There's absolutely no feeling of exploration to CE, whereas VoG has a large intro section leading to the Templar well, and then the jumping puzzle --> Gogons area.

By contrast CE drops us straight into the action and the tweener between the two major combat areas is the hallway. VoG has a lot of love given to the process of opening the door, the atmosphere of entering, and the feeling of exploring a vast underground labyrinth. CE has...a hallway between the major combat zones. The compact space usage is another factor that points to a very compressed development cycle for CE. It just didn't have enough time in the oven.

You know what CE needs? A gigantic, tentacle Hive monster. Like, maybe the mechanic can be 3 people have to jump into its mouth and shoot it inside and get out before like, Hive Acid fills its stomach while the people outside shoot tentacles to stop it from grabbing the people inside and throwing them out.

Like, the place is freaking called Hellmouth. Put something big and ugly with a mouth in there. I mean sure, making a new model is impossible for Bungie apparently, but there's so much wasted potential.

Hell they could've opened it up in many ways, not just falling through the hole. Like, make it so you hijack a hive ship and then you crash into the hell mouth, that would be a sick opening.

And 'The Arena' raid sounds like it's going to take place in an arena. Which doesn't give me alot of hope for the potentially cool setpieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom