• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe our raid gear will be upgraded automatically?

It'd be nice if there was some way to upgrade CE/VoG raid armor to whatever max light is. Even if it was by some object or material only available in the new raid. I HATE most of the CE armor, and it's really lame that everyone looks the same because we're all wearing the same gear.

I'm willing to bet they won't change a thing. Saying and doing are two different things, and we know how well Bungie says and does things.

The one thing I can imagine them implementing is having an upgrade route for existing raid gear, so we can bump up our VoG and CE armor to 42.

Or worse our existing gear will be useless but any new armor drop from VoG and CE will be 42 light.

Lothars

VENDOR GEAR WON'T BEAT RAID GEAR THIS TIME, LUKE SAID

These leaks are from OLD ass databases, and placeholders.
I don't believe him until I see it. I would be shocked if vendor gear doesn't get you to level 33 like it shows in that screenshot.

Maybe they will change it but who knows.

I'm willing to bet they won't change a thing. Saying and doing are two different things, and we know how well Bungie says and does things.

The one thing I can imagine them implementing is having an upgrade route for existing raid gear, so we can bump up our VoG and CE armor to 42.

Or worse our existing gear will be useless but any new armor drop from VoG and CE will be 42 light.
yeah I could see having upgrade paths for old raid gear that will let you get to level 34.

E92 M3

It'd be nice if there was some way to upgrade CE/VoG raid armor to whatever max light is. Even if it was by some object or material only available in the new raid. I HATE most of the CE armor, and it's really lame that everyone looks the same because we're all wearing the same gear.

I actually LOVE the hunter CE gear compared to the shitty VOG version.

Unless Bungie increases the level of VoG and CE raids, I highly doubt it.

Well, at the minimum they will be equal to vendor gear, but I can see Bungie wanting to make sure that raid gear isn't marginalized again.

Kalamari

Raid gear probably won't be invalidated, but I suspect there will be a unexpected caveat, such as having to rank up in another faction or something.

I really can't see them making VoG or CE armor have new light stats. Bungie already said they were done with VoG, and they will do the same thing with CE. They have to eventually move past all the old items. The time will also come when they will stop letting you level up exotics to new levels. It may not happen with HoW, but it will happen eventually.

Nah, I think it's pretty obvious what they're going to do based on previous comments and leaked info.

Vendor gear will get you to 32
This keeps the Crota Raid gear from being invalidated immediately like the VoG was since it technically gives you a head start on running the Normal (32) HoW Raid.

HoW Raid gear will bump you to 33 or 34
This depends on what the new cap is. I believe the Hard mode Raid is rumored to be 34 and, if so, I expect the HoW gear to get you to 33. If it caps at 35, then I expect the Raid gear to cap at 34.

Exotics will be ReXurbished largely the same way but will retain unlocked perks
So for example, you would ReXurbish your Ghallahorn like you would do now, but the perk specific bubbles would already be filled in like so (assuming you've unlocked them already):

z1JrUD4.png

Perhaps the 1st and 4th rows would also be unlocked already as well and you would only need to re-fill the damage bubbles. This retains what makes the exotics unique and fun, doesn't invalidate the grind you put in to them (since those perks won't be unlocked if they weren't prior), while still giving a reason to grind to add the extra damage. Same thing for armor, except you would only be filling the defense bubbles.

That's my theory anyway.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
HoW Raid gear will bump you to 33 or 34
This depends on what the new cap is. I believe the Hard mode Raid is rumored to be 34 and, if so, I expect the HoW gear to get you to 33. If it caps at 35, then I expect the Raid gear to cap at 34.
If they do this again they'll earn some of the first ill will from me the game has evoked since launch :-[ In comparison to the majority I've had little issue with the RNG tuning, weekly lockouts, upgrade requirements and overall progression systems, but by far my least favorite aspect of the game at present is the forced underleveling in HM CE. There's nothing interesting about it at all and it's the sheer definition of artificial difficulty.
The time will also come when they will stop letting you level up exotics to new levels. It may not happen with HoW, but it will happen eventually.
Doubt it.

edit: Well, Destiny 2 of course, if you're including that as "eventually."

phen0m24

Thanks but I think he's done for the week. Narmer Quest will resume next reset.

Narmer Quest™

Sounds like a Youtube channel in the making
or Hard Mode Activated™

If they do this again they'll earn some of the first ill will from me the game has evoked since launch :-[ In comparison to the majority I've had little issue with the RNG tuning, weekly lockouts, upgrade requirements and overall progression systems, but by far my least favorite aspect of the game at present is the forced underleveling in HM CE. There's nothing interesting about it at all and it's the sheer definition of artificial difficulty.

Agreed. Imagine Level 35 Gregs or Randals or CAPTAINS with their Guardian-seeking-shotguns.. OH NASTY

I don't want to COMPLETELY re-level, re-Xurbish anything
ever
again - and I mean "old" weapons here. I just don't. I also gave up leveling the 2nd and 3rd Horn, the 2nd and 3rd Hawkmoon, and pretty much everything I've gotten lately. I just don't care. If Word/Fang+LDR+Horn are still viable in Raid #3, that's what I'm bringing to the party. I'll level new stuff, and hopefully the new weapons don't come with glaring broken perks
again
but just give me 3 stinking bubbles at the right, and I'll fill them in. THAT'S IT. ENOUGH ALREADY. :)

I just realized that I only need Hunger of Crota and I'll have all CE raid weapons. If anyone is up for CE this evening (after 6pm EST) I would like to join.

I also need the Crux but I don't care much about that weapon.

Assuming Bungie's future decisions are "obvious" is bold, to say the least.

Maybe "obvious" is not the right word lol. I'm struggling to think of a more appropriate one though and maybe it can't be summed up that way. I guess a better phrase would be "There's only so few ways they can go based on previous comments and leaks, and this is the most plausible to me."

I hope they don't either. I could totally see them putting the Hard mode at 34 and having the gear bump you to 34 as well, but I can't remember them ever expressing any regrets about the artificial level difficulty of HmCE, so I think it's totally a possibility for HoW.

Also, I don't see them ever allowing any gear besides exotics to get upgraded light levels. Not any time soon at least. MAYBE if they introduce "Epic" versions of old raids though.

All the more reason to add a cosmetic slot :p

LTWood12

100% this. It would be a huge blunder if they did that again.

Deku Tree

Bungie needs to acknowledge that they have created worse bugs every time they have patched Raid cheese. So in effect Bungie have unintentionally decided to cheese the majority of Raiders who did not even use cheese to prevent all the cheeser's from not playing as Bungie intended.

Staying up late for Hard Raids with lots of Buggy wipes were some of my least favorite experiences in gaming. You feel like you want to quit but you also are playing with five other players and you feel like you don't want to let them down because everyone wants it so bad.

Shirow

Banned
Tell me why past exotics and gear should be leveled up when new expansions come out? I don't get it. I've never seen that in any other game.

I understand it in destiny as the level cap is not much, 32 from 30 isn't much. But in destiny it actually is a lot. Going as a 30 into hard mode crota is basically a death sentence and your usefulness at that level is lacking.

Coming from mmo's is I guess what has me thinking about these things since in no mmo that I know of, they upgrade past gear to match the new one. In the case of destiny it does seem like the actual amount of new exotics that come out isn't much so I could be wrong.

Feorax

Tell me why past exotics and gear should be leveled up when new expansions come out? I don't get it. I've never seen that in any other game.

I understand it in destiny as the level cap is not much, 32 from 30 isn't much. But in destiny it actually is a lot. Going as a 30 into hard mode crota is basically a death sentence and your usefulness at that level is lacking.

Coming from mmo's is I guess what has me thinking about these things since in no mmo that I know of, they upgrade past gear to match the new one. In the case of destiny it does seem like the actual amount of new exotics that come out isn't much so I could be wrong.

The whole reason item trading doesn't exist in Destiny was because Bungie wanted players to grow attached to weapons and armour that dropped for them.

Seems a bit pointless to have that kind of attachment when said weapon or armour piece becomes useless every 3-5 months.

Also, the lack of variety in high level gear doesn't help.

Lothars

It's because the perks in exotics are the reason to have them and if needing to relevel them to get the perks from scratch than it's a frustrating grind.

If they have the perks unlocked after the upgrade than that's fine but that was the mistake they made with dark below.

Axoman

Maybe "obvious" is not the right word lol. I'm struggling to think of a more appropriate one though and maybe it can't be summed up that way. I guess a better phrase would be "There's only so few ways they can go based on previous comments and leaks, and this is the most plausible to me."

I hope they don't either. I could totally see them putting the Hard mode at 34 and having the gear bump you to 34 as well, but I can't remember them ever expressing any regrets about the artificial level difficulty of HmCE, so I think it's totally a possibility for HoW.

When it comes to how Bungie's been with Destiny, there always seems to be a disconnect on how we think/assume things will be and then Bungie does something completely different.

I'm hoping they learned something, but it is possible that we'll get the same upgrade paths in HoW as we did in TDB. Whatever they have think they learned may not actually be incorporated until Comet.

I'm also hoping they don't do the same artificial difficulty increase by making us under leveled for the new raid. I don't have much faith that it will change, but I hope upping the enemy level was just a stopgap solution because they ran out of time and that the new raid will actually have difficult encounters mechanically/structually that will be hard enough even being the same level as enemies. Parts of VoG are still challenging even being over leveled.

Homeboyd

Because they don't have a large enough exotic weapon pool to justify leaving all the existing stuff behind. And beyond that, the new stuff they are creating now pales in comparison to the old stuff. If they did this, we'd be stuck with dragon's breath, NLB, nechrocasm, & 4th horseman and as our highest end exotic weapons... all of which are terrible weapons and are completely useless as is in high-end content.

Oh my god, just had a "sinking feeling"-moment. Invited a guy to kill Xyor, playing without mics because I didn't have a lot of time, and he apparently didn't know what exactly we were doing... I see him focusing on Phogoth way too much, and as I scramble to send him a quick message so he wouldn't kill Phogoth, the beast dies. I almost cried.

Attempt numero dos.

CLBridges

I like the idea of being able to continue on with certain Exotic weapons and armor that have really good perks and Bungie allowing them to be reXurbished. I liken it to relic weapons in FFXIV where you can continue on improving the max stats of the weapon as new content is introduced. Or, you can just move on to the new and leave the old behind if you so chose.

I'm still against leveling the exotic all over again, but Bungie has stated they would be changing that and I hope that turns out to be true. I just ask that Bungie not allow another situation to happen when they introduced exotic shards. Oh, and hopefully the weekly is informative.

Feorax

Still got one NF left to do, anyone want in?

Edit: actually got to nip out for a bit. Will definitely be looking to do this in the next few hours though.

Shirow

Banned
Because they don't have a large enough exotic weapon pool to justify leaving all the existing stuff behind. And beyond that, the new stuff they are creating now pales in comparison to the old stuff. If they did this, we'd be stuck with dragon's breath, NLB, nechrocasm, & 4th horseman and as our highest end exotic weapons... all of which are terrible weapons and are completely useless as is in high-end content.

It's because the perks in exotics are the reason to have them and if needing to relevel them to get the perks from scratch than it's a frustrating grind.

If they have the perks unlocked after the upgrade than that's fine but that was the mistake they made with dark below.

The whole reason item trading doesn't exist in Destiny was because Bungie wanted players to grow attached to weapons and armour that dropped for them.

Seems a bit pointless to have that kind of attachment when said weapon or armour piece becomes useless every 3-5 months.

Thanks for the answers guys. This has me concerned thou. I know the exotic weapon pool is low but I don't know.... I mean, I don't want to be rocking a vex mytho when my char is 36 or 40 one day either. I would like it to be some crazy new weapons.

Homeboyd

Thanks for the answers guys. This has me concerned thou. I know the exotic weapon pool is low but I don't know.... I mean, I don't want to be rocking a vex mytho when my char is 36 or 40 one day either. I would like it to be some crazy new weapons.
Agreed.. but if they can't deliver (which TDB certainly showed they have some issues on that front), then we really don't have a choice but to keep dragging along the old stuff. They're blocking VOG weapons from doing this now, and while some of the CE guns are ok, almost all of the VOG weapons are better and I wish we could bring those along as well. If CE stuff was better, I wouldn't care so much about leaving the old stuff behind.

GhaleonEB

Nah Breh, gimme that massive flack cannon that Aksor and the Major Captains use.
I'd dig a limited-use heavy weapon like that.
:p
Aye, like the turrets and other heavy weapons in Halo 3/ODST. Would be nice to have a class of weapons where each was not so rigidly formed into one of the preexisting slots; alien / enemy weapons could fit in there as well.

I don't think anyone can get attached to the likes of Dragon's Breath, No Land Beyond, Hard Light, etc. Every player wants Hawkmoon, Gjallarhorn, Ice breaker, etc.

Their entire reasoning of this argument is invalid.

Impala26

Aye, like the turrets and other heavy weapons in Halo 3/ODST. Would be nice to have a class of weapons where each was not so rigidly formed into one of the preexisting slots; alien / enemy weapons could fit in there as well.

Totally!
We could even use Jorge's... uh... I mean the Colossus' super-heavy machine guns!

In all seriousness, would not be opposed to being able to use more alien weapons--be they limited use or specially-modified Guardian variants like the Mythoclast or Husk/Ally/NC

First time using the Husk I actually liked it at least aesthetically because it reminded me of the Skedar weaponry from Perfect Dark.

I don't think anyone can get attached to the likes of Dragon's Breath, No Land Beyond, Hard Light, etc. Every player wants Hawkmoon, Gjallarhorn, Ice breaker, etc.

I like the "angry shark" decal at least... always have dating back to Halo PC Flamethrower... :-(

Deku Tree

This speaks to weapon balancing... you know what I expect from Weapon balancing from Bungie if we ever get another one? I expect Nerfs of everyone's favorite weapons to make other weapons seem more viable because Buffs of non-viable weapons would make the "time to kill" statistic too fast.

GhaleonEB

This will start out as a tangent, but I will address your specific question.

One of Destiny's better design elements is the restriction on exotic weapon and armor usage to one of each at any point in time. It allows exotics to feature some pretty cool perks that would otherwise become OP when combined with other exotic perks. It encourages players to use a wide range of different builds rather than creating one uber-build. And crucially, it also keeps legendary weapons and gear relevant.

I don't play a ton of loot games, but in every single one I have played there has been a strict hierarchy to the loot tiers, with each tier superior to the next. The endgame always involved getting the best weapons, which rendered every tier of weapons and gear below them irrelevant. By making exotics on par with legendary gear, and through the one item at a time restriction on exotic use, Bungie keeps a much larger set of their sandbox relevant. In fact, by having rare engrams provide a chance to decrypt into legendary stuff, they have kept three of the five loot tiers relevant for the endgame.

Extending this same philosophy of keeping as much of the sandbox relevant for endgame players as possible, it would not make sense to create a new set of tiers via the DLC. If they did, then only a handful of exotics and legendary gear would be relevant for the higher level players, and we would find out viable options restricted, rather than opened up, as the game continued to expand. The more unique gear is released, and the older stuff kept on par with it, the more diverse the viable character builds become. If they did not, the opposite would happen, and we'd see less and less variety as time went on. I think that would undercut the diversity of gear Bungie has been trying to build.

(It's already too restrictive as it is, with only raid gear getting us to level 32. I would rather we get the ability to infuse our legendary gear with additional light, so we could build out our own set of level 32 gear, using orbs of light; but that's another topic entirely.)

I like the "angry shark" decal at least... always have dating back to Halo PC Flamethrower... :-(

The solar flare is also more useful than perks like cluster bombs when used on large, mostly stationary targets like SpongeBob and the Nexus. I've had it do considerable extra damage, particularly when I stack three of them at a time. For those of us who are 'Hornless, it's a situationally useful weapon.

That is an indication that they need to better execute their philosophy (better weapon balancing), not that their philosophy itself flawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom