• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT19| Raiders of the Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Oh I didn't say I was expecting a good update today...just hoping!

It'd be cool if they talked about what kinds of changes they are planning on making to strikes to make the worse ones more enjoyable.

That's the topic I'm hoping will be addressed today. I'm guessing reducing the health meter on some bosses will be the extent of it, given the resources they can deploy to these updates. But it would still be nice.

If you are lacking a reason to play, I don't think you'll get one until The House of Wolves releases. Then it's a long wait for Comet.

Shirow

Banned
This will start out as a tangent, but I will address your specific question.

One of Destiny's better design elements is the restriction on exotic weapon and armor usage to one of each at any point in time. It allows exotics to feature some pretty cool perks that would otherwise become OP when combined with other exotic perks. It encourages players to use a wide range of different builds rather than creating one uber-build. And crucially, it also keeps legendary weapons and gear relevant.

I don't play a ton of loot games, but in every single one I have played there has been a strict hierarchy to the loot tiers, with each tier superior to the next. The endgame always involved getting the best weapons, which rendered every tier of weapons and gear below them irrelevant. By making exotics on par with legendary gear, and through the one item at a time restriction on exotic use, Bungie keeps a much larger set of their sandbox relevant. In fact, by having rare engrams provide a chance to decrypt into legendary stuff, they have kept three of the five loot tiers relevant for the endgame.

Extending this same philosophy of keeping as much of the sandbox relevant for endgame players as possible, it would not make sense to create a new set of tiers via the DLC. If they did, then only a handful of exotics and legendary gear would be relevant for the higher level players, and we would find out viable options restricted, rather than opened up, as the game continued to expand. The more unique gear is released, and the older stuff kept on par with it, the more diverse the viable character builds become. If they did not, the opposite would happen, and we'd see less and less variety as time went on. I think that would undercut the diversity of gear Bungie has been trying to build.

(It's already too restrictive as it is, with only raid gear getting us to level 32. I would rather we get the ability to infuse our legendary gear with additional light, so we could build out our own set of level 32 gear, using orbs of light; but that's another topic entirely.)

That's actually the best point that I've heard for keeping the old stuff. It does make sense that those builds would actually be lost with new gear completely. People who have a certain playstyle would lose the ability to play that way on account of their gear not being up to par with the current one. Good one there.

That's the topic I'm hoping will be addressed today. I'm guessing reducing the health meter on some bosses will be the extent of it, given the resources they can deploy to these updates. But it would still be nice.

If you are lacking a reason to play, I don't think you'll get one until The House of Wolves releases. Then it's a long wait for Comet.
Actually I'm really excited for this pre-HoW patch. I'm a big geek when it comes to 'quality of life' updates and the fact that I can mute Destiny music and play my own tunes, especially in Crucible, will have me excited enough to return to daily sessions. If only they'd let us mute the dorky British announcer...

I will be taking a day off work for the House of Wolves update. It's my most anticipated 2015 'game,' which says a lot :)

GhaleonEB

Actually I'm really excited for this pre-HoW patch. I'm a big geek when it comes to 'quality of life' updates and the fact that I can mute Destiny music and play my own tunes, especially in Crucible, will have me excited enough to return to daily sessions. If only they'd let us mute the dorky British announcer...

I will be taking a day off work for the House of Wolves update. It's my most anticipated 2015 'game,' which says a lot :)

I've been really impressed with the last few updates, and am ecstatic about the colorblind options in this new one. The big PvE sandbox rebalance in the last (or one before, can't recall) update did wonders to shake up my character load outs - shotguns and pulse rifles suddenly became viable!

I enjoy seeing how much fine tuning is going into the game. My favorite very small detail is how the rep progress meters for the various factions and vendors went from a circle to a diamond, so it's much easier to tell when we're 1/4 of the way through. Lots of little bits of polish like that getting added over time.

I might not take a day off for HoW, but I sure as hell will for Comet. It's my most anticipated "game" this year. Helps that it's going to be huge. :D

waters10

Neo Member
The whole reason item trading doesn't exist in Destiny was because Bungie wanted players to grow attached to weapons and armour that dropped for them.

Seems a bit pointless to have that kind of attachment when said weapon or armour piece becomes useless every 3-5 months.

Also, the lack of variety in high level gear doesn't help.
I think not having trading of any kind had a very healthy side effect on the community. Instead of having people selling items on ebay, trying to rip people off, it encouraged people to play together more and help each other get items. You get groups together that have the same objective, seek new loot.

Even though I wish I could give a repeat legendary/exotic to a buddy of mine, I think in general, the lack of trading was a good thing for this game.

E92 M3

This speaks to weapon balancing... you know what I expect from Weapon balancing from Bungie if we ever get another one? I expect Nerfs of everyone's favorite weapons to make other weapons seem more viable because Buffs of non-viable weapons would make the "time to kill" statistic too fast.

Every time I think about Bungie's philosophy for weapon design it just makes me mad. Unfortunately, we won't get anywhere until PVE and PVP are separated - and that won't be happening for a while.

I think not having trading of any kind had a very healthy side effect on the community. Instead of having people selling items on ebay, trying to rip people off, it encouraged people to play together more and help each other get items. You get groups together that have the same objective, seek new loot.

Even though I wish I could give a repeat legendary/exotic to a buddy of mine, I think in general, the lack of tracking was a good thing for this game.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. That said, I do think they should implement a way to give away rewards to your current fireteam members when you earn stuff (maybe with an option to have them roll for it).

ich00

Anyone have the Gorgon CP and willing to share?

If you don't have it whe I get home around 3, I can log on and give you the nm version.

Hi guys.

Anyone knows how many gh hits it takes to take down crota on hard and normal?

For nm it's 2ish, only reason I say it that way is that we 2-manned it the other night and the first kneel 2 shots took him down, the second time for some reason I had to add some primary fire to get him to kneel. I'm not sure about hm, maybe someone else does?

Mrgamer

Last friday i made a hunter for pvp.
Used to have 3 warlocks and so far im at level 30 and having fun in crucible.

Whats the best configuration for the hunter
im a gunslinger.

Any shotguns to counter felwinter?

Im a hc guy and use hawkmon thorn and last word.Any other hc for pvp i should try?

I just started enjoying the pvp part of destiny thanks to having hunter and i love golden gun.just strugling to get shotgun kills At very close range.

GhaleonEB

Every time I think about Bungie's philosophy for weapon design it just makes me mad. Unfortunately, we won't get anywhere until PVE and PVP are separated - and that won't be happening for a while.

It started with the last update, with the 100% shotgun buff in PvE but not PvP. Hopefully they continue down that road.

RetroMG

I just got a Saterinne Rapier from a Cryptarch package, with Luck in the Chamber, Hammer Forged, and Grenadier. Is this worth upgrading at all if I already have Vision of Confluence and Fang of Ir Yut?

Ryck

Psn down for anyone else?

I just got a Saterinne Rapier from a Cryptarch package, with Luck in the Chamber, Hammer Forged, and Grenadier. Is this worth upgrading at all if I already have Vision of Confluence and Fang of Ir Yut?
I wouldn't but I have a personal firefly/elemental damage rule when it comes to Scout Rifles.

No Firefly? Definitely not, then. You already have two great non-exotic Scouts, no need to waste your time upgrading unless you've got nothing else to level up.

Axoman

It started with the last update, with the 100% shotgun buff in PvE but not PvP. Hopefully they continue down that road.

I wish they would give auto rifles a 25% damage boost in PVE. They can nerf to oblivion for PVP, just make them viable in PVE again.

Kalamari

I'll be happy to have the ability to adjust game volume and chat volume independently. Game sound is so high, I often can't even hear the chat.

ich00

I don't think anyone can get attached to the likes of Dragon's Breath, No Land Beyond, Hard Light, etc. Every player wants Hawkmoon, Gjallarhorn, Ice breaker, etc.

Their entire reasoning of this argument is invalid.

I don't know about that. One of the guys in my raid group (he quit till HoW) uses his Hard Light all the time, and was really excited when it dropped for him, even though he had better primaries to use. I mean I still have a Zombie Apocalypse that I bring out on Arc burns just because it was my first legendary weapon that dropped, granted it's a good gun and has good perks, but I have better Heavy Weapons I could use, I just don't becuase I grew attached to it.

I'm not saying everyone is like that, you might get someone's first exotic being the Dragon's Breath, and once they get a better weapon they'll never use it again, but there are definititly people out there who will keep using it in some situations just because it was thier first exotic drop.

That's the beauty of this game, there are still situations that allow a player to use an old weapon even though there might be better options, but that old weapon is still effective and maybe fun to use.

noomi

Feels good to finally have a work day off (Good Friday tomorrow). Planning on getting caught up to some raiding finally.

Hoping Xur brings something nice, I could use a shotty telemetry and a auto rifle one as well. Here's to hoping.

I don't know about that. One of the guys in my raid group (he quit till HoW) uses his Hard Light all the time, and was really excited when it dropped for him, even though he had better primaries to use. I mean I still have a Zombie Apocalypse that I bring out on Arc burns just because it was my first legendary weapon that dropped, granted it's a good gun and has good perks, but I have better Heavy Weapons I could use, I just don't becuase I grew attached to it.

I'm not saying everyone is like that, you might get someone's first exotic being the Dragon's Breath, and once they get a better weapon they'll never use it again, but there are definititly people out there who will keep using it in some situations just because it was thier first exotic drop.

That's the beauty of this game, there are still situations that allow a player to use an old weapon even though there might be better options, but that old weapon is still effective and maybe fun to use.
I still use Vanquisher VIII on all of my characters even after the massive AR nerf. It just feels so good and I worked really hard earning 150 crucible marks to buy it. I don't know if that's me being attached to the gun or the fact that it's damn stable for an AR.

I really wish there would be an update to the patrol areas in Destiny.

People are wondering, what can Bungie do to keep players interested until the next DLC, what are some things that can happen to freshen up the experience.

I remember a vidoc a while ago, way back in the day, it showed Jason Jones texting some employee working on the game, asking him to get on to Destiny because "Venus is awesome tonight!" The guy types back "My body is ready!"

Seeing that stuff made me excited about how different and interesting the game could be on a night to night basis. You could get home after work and just be chillin watching some tv, and maybe get a text from some friends like 'dude, get on destiny right now, shit is going down on the moon!'

What if there were different events happening on different nights that gave you a chance at some cool rewards? Like a big haul of materials? A big glimmer jackpot? Maybe a few engrams? Just some special events with a chance at a special reward, nothing crazy like exotic drops, but something to entice people to get on and participate and explore.

I mean, when have you ever thought to yourself 'man, I'm so glad I hopped on tonight and went exploring on Venus. Venus is awesome right now.' Besides the first time you ever set foot on a destination, it probably hasn't happened since. The only thing that really gets people to go back is the bounty telling you to complete patrol missions. Otherwise, whats the point? Pull out the public event tracker, sit around 10 min waiting for the same old devil walker to spawn and kill it in 5 seconds?

I understand there needs to be some basic stuff in there for the new people, or anyone that isn't going to be end-game hardcore raiders, but seriously some of those patrol missions are boring even by super casual standards. Go over there, right there, see that marker on the screen? Yeah, go there and stand there for a few seconds and watch your meter fill from 0 to 100%. No need to do anything else, just stand there and do nothing. Good job, heres a tiny bit of exp.

New missions, and new areas to explore, to me, is kinda expecting a lot. The comet expansion won't even be bringing THAT much new to the table. As far as REALLY new experiences, that probably won't happen until Destiny 2.

So why not try to spice up what we have already with some new events and new rewards to draw people back into the world? The only thing I can remember them doing was adding the Blades of Crota invading the area, which was cool for about a day. I'd like to see A LOT more of these kinds of things all over the place to make the worlds interesting.

E92 M3

I am honestly expecting them to nerf shotguns for PVE. Besides damage, the perk abilities are also somewhat limited by PVP. What TRULY got me down was when they said that the Necrochasm is working as intended. That was just sad.

I am honestly expecting them to nerf shotguns for PVE. Besides damage, the perk abilities are also somewhat limited by PVP. What TRULY got me down was when they said that the Necrochasm is working as intended. That was just sad.

God, I hope not. I've gotten used to popping a bubble and just destroying everything in two shots.

ocean

Banned
Hi guys.

Anyone knows how many gh hits it takes to take down crota on hard and normal?
Assuming you're level 32, 2 shots on Normal. On Hard it takes more than 2 and your reload animation lasts enough for his shield to regen so you need to get a grenade in (assuming you're solo).

Wait they still haven't done this? I know loooong ago right after launch they said bosses having huge health bars being aglitch..but they haven't fixed it >_>;

I really wish there would be an update to the patrol areas in Destiny.

People are wondering, what can Bungie do to keep players interested until the next DLC, what are some things that can happen to freshen up the experience.

I remember a vidoc a while ago, way back in the day, it showed Jason Jones texting some employee working on the game, asking him to get on to Destiny because "Venus is awesome tonight!" The guy types back "My body is ready!"

Seeing that stuff made me excited about how different and interesting the game could be on a night to night basis. You could get home after work and just be chillin watching some tv, and maybe get a text from some friends like 'dude, get on destiny right now, shit is going down on the moon!'

What if there were different events happening on different nights that gave you a chance at some cool rewards? Like a big haul of materials? A big glimmer jackpot? Maybe a few engrams? Just some special events with a chance at a special reward, nothing crazy like exotic drops, but something to entice people to get on and participate and explore.

I mean, when have you ever thought to yourself 'man, I'm so glad I hopped on tonight and went exploring on Venus. Venus is awesome right now.' Besides the first time you ever set foot on a destination, it probably hasn't happened since. The only thing that really gets people to go back is the bounty telling you to complete patrol missions. Otherwise, whats the point? Pull out the public event tracker, sit around 10 min waiting for the same old devil walker to spawn and kill it in 5 seconds?

I understand there needs to be some basic stuff in there for the new people, or anyone that isn't going to be end-game hardcore raiders, but seriously some of those patrol missions are boring even by super casual standards. Go over there, right there, see that marker on the screen? Yeah, go there and stand there for a few seconds and watch your meter fill from 0 to 100%. No need to do anything else, just stand there and do nothing. Good job, heres a tiny bit of exp.

New missions, and new areas to explore, to me, is kinda expecting a lot. The comet expansion won't even be bringing THAT much new to the table. As far as REALLY new experiences, that probably won't happen until Destiny 2.

So why not try to spice up what we have already with some new events and new rewards to draw people back into the world? The only thing I can remember them doing was adding the Blades of Crota invading the area, which was cool for about a day. I'd like to see A LOT more of these kinds of things all over the place to make the worlds interesting.
World of Warcraft nails this, especially with their holiday events.

I just found the Time-Lost Proto Drake in Storm Peaks! There's a Minfernal up for grabs in Felwood right now! Fireworks in Booty Bay for Independence Day! Headless Horseman terrorizing Goldshire during Halloween! Have you killed the Thanksgiving Brewboss yet today? There's a bunch of dragons flying above Stormwind - someone must have just earned the legendary staff! Huge battle at Southshore right now!

etc.

Impala26

The tweak they did actually made things worse for all but fire teams of one player, IIRC.

What's the nature of this change again? I wasn't active when these changes were being made, but I remember a buddy mentioning that boss HP was based on a general scale of how many players are in the fireteam at the start of the boss checkpoint.

Is that not a thing anymore?

EDIT: Top! :p

I get what you're saying, I had some weapons stashed too that were my first drops from certain occasions, but I have dismantled most of them. Why? Where is the bloody space to store them?

I have every exotic weapon in the game. About 10 of them sit in my vault taking up space, have barely seen any use. Upgraded all to 331 versions and maxed out, but they still just stay in vault because they're neither effective nor fun to use.

I have attachment to certain weapons, yes. Fatebringer is an example of that. Everyone who has one loves it and everyone who doesn't have one wants it. Even if I get a 331 legendary handcannon with the same perks as Fatebringer, I'll dismantle it without a second thought.

LTWood12

If you don't have it whe I get home around 3, I can log on and give you the nm version.

For nm it's 2ish, only reason I say it that way is that we 2-manned it the other night and the first kneel 2 shots took him down, the second time for some reason I had to add some primary fire to get him to kneel. I'm not sure about hm, maybe someone else does?

Ok thanks. T-44 is who really needs it. What time zone are you?

Only if those raid glitches make it easier to finish. That's all they fix.

Right, I remember doing VoG the night before yesterday and we were joking about how Bungie STILL hasn't fixed the lack of a results screen after killing the last boss.

It's like, tremendously awkward ._.;

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Do you do any of the Sword training as part of this, or is that exclusively Sword School?
None; I run sword myself for the newbie raids (attendees are welcome to pay attention to what I do of course :p). It's just sort of outside the scope of a newbie session, similar to how, while I explain the relic controls fully and encourage others to other it during the Templar and Gatekeeper encounters, I will always grab the relic personally if I'm teleported during Atheon. I have to balance teaching the raid at large as comprehensively as possible with actually getting the kill in a reasonable timeframe.
Tell me why past exotics and gear should be leveled up when new expansions come out? I don't get it. I've never seen that in any other game.

I understand it in destiny as the level cap is not much, 32 from 30 isn't much. But in destiny it actually is a lot. Going as a 30 into hard mode crota is basically a death sentence and your usefulness at that level is lacking.

Coming from mmo's is I guess what has me thinking about these things since in no mmo that I know of, they upgrade past gear to match the new one. In the case of destiny it does seem like the actual amount of new exotics that come out isn't much so I could be wrong.
That's actually the best point that I've heard for keeping the old stuff. It does make sense that those builds would actually be lost with new gear completely. People who have a certain playstyle would lose the ability to play that way on account of their gear not being up to par with the current one. Good one there.
  1. I think starting any analysis from a place of "I've never seen that in any other game" = "it's bad or unreasonable" is a horrible idea. In fact, I hope Bungie will go out of their way to continue trying things that don't exactly match up with how they're done in any other game, rather than attempting to intentionally make it similar. If they're doing something different, don't half-ass it.
  2. Destiny Exotics (at their best) are build-defining, and I have absolutely no desire to replace them with "simply better" items. Unlike my gear in nearly any other game with a progression system, I'm very attached to the way that (for example) Hawkmoon, Pocket Infinity, Monte Carlo and Thunderlord feel to use, and theme a full character build around their usage when equipped. I don't want to have those options eliminated for the sake of vertical progression. A far superior approach is to continue to allow them to be viable while introducing more and more options that are ALSO viable and can cause you to rethink builds. This is the area where The Dark Below's exotics fell completely flat and sad, although it introduced some of my absolute favorite legendary options at the same time.
Is there one for X1?
:-/

I don't have an XBO and have no plans to get one in the next couple of years. I know there are a lot of helpful people that do play here, but I haven't heard of anything weekly for it, sorry. :(
I don't think anyone can get attached to the likes of Dragon's Breath, No Land Beyond, Hard Light, etc. Every player wants Hawkmoon, Gjallarhorn, Ice breaker, etc.

Their entire reasoning of this argument is invalid.
This is just saying that some exotics are more popular than others which will literally be the case without fail no matter what. Ultimately it's a totally separate argument from the attachment thing, which is a real facet of play for me and the few weapons I've chosen to max.
I still use Vanquisher VIII on all of my characters even after the massive AR nerf. It just feels so good and I worked really hard earning 150 crucible marks to buy it. I don't know if that's me being attached to the gun or the fact that it's damn stable for an AR.
Still use it too, it's very reliable. I am coming to enjoy Oversoul Edict more than I expected though.

RemiLP

Even though I wish I could give a repeat legendary/exotic to a buddy of mine, I think in general, the lack of trading was a good thing for this game.

there are positive sides of not being able to trade. But i think it would be a better game with trading.

Iv played games where u had free Trading with 100% player created economy. It creates a whole new dimensjon to the game. More alive. More interactions between players. More things to do. The game isnt just about shoting aliens in the face anymore. You can have players just playing as merchants if they want.

Sure, your gona get sscammes and people buying shit, but to me, its Worth all the positives free trading brings to a game and its community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom